Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Deb, you look smashing

• InnaB2018

Deb, you look smashing!

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Deb - love the look! This morning is my day 21 following last chemo so I told my head go ahead and start growing hair now. Winking

GAW - so glad to hear the neuropathy is better. I agree with you - walking is all I'm doing right now due to foot issues. Even then there are only a few pair of shoes/sock combinations that work for longer walks. Anything too intense and my feet really start to bother me.

Ingerp or any of you other ladies who have already moved onto Herceptin alone or Herceptin/Perjeta infusions....any tips for success. Tomorrow is my first Herceptin infusion. At my center there are no premeds just the targeted therapy. I'm wondering if I should take a Benadryl or Zofran before hand.

Busy day here as I will be living in Michigan full time during radiation so I'm trying to get packed up and this house prepared for Hubby. We're going to try to alternate weekends back and forth. Fingers crossed the plan for radiation hasn't changed and I'll be done in only 3 or 4 weeks. Left arm has been bad again this weekend so I'm hoping my port removal Wednesday solves the edema for once and for all.

• linda2119
    linda2119 Member Posts: 60

Hello, friends,

Haven't posted in a while, so here's my update.

Finished chemo on 8/2. Only did 8 taxols because of neuropathy - although GAWarrior - I would have pushed through all 12 if I were triple negative. I am scheduled for my mastectomy on September 10, then rads to follow. I'm in a bit of a reprieve right now - and I'm enjoying it. I did not expect how emotionally freeing it would be to be out of treatment for even a few weeks. So my husband and I took a quick trip to NYC this weekend. (We go back to reality this afternoon....) We saw 4 shows in 4 days - all excellent. Coming to NYC for shows is a real treat for us - its been four years. So it's been a good weekend.

And - I went topless! No wig, no hat, no headband, nothing. I have hair growth - started about 3 weeks into taxol - but I still look not normal. But it felt so good to feel the wind on my scalp! The woman next to me at the show yesterday complimented my buzz cut - I told her was a chemo hairdo but that I appreciated the compliment. I learned that it is my insecurities that affect how I view myself, not others. (Although there was one stare I got that made me cry later that day - so rude!) I'm not ready to go topless at home, certainly not at work. I spend an inordinate amount of time and emotional energy on my scalp - I have it all planned that after two weeks off of surgery, which is in two weeks, maybe I can go back to work without the wig? It may or may not happen.

Other than that, I'm doing fine physically. Started the anastrozole on 8/10. I'm having some stage 1 lymphedema (or is it grade 1?) - my hand swells up, especially when I get hot and sweat, also when I drink alcohol. But I'm still enjoying my wine. This is my second round with anastrozole (I was on it October - March as part of a clinical trial) and I'm happy that I'm not suffering the hot flashes like I did the first time. My suggestion is to take it around dinnertime, not in the morning. I'm still working out and walking. I'm not looking forward to the surgery - I just got to the point after my lumpectomy that I could sleep without a bra, and now it all begins again. Sigh. The emotional toll of all this is still there - I'm still grieving the loss of my old body - saggy droopy breasts and all.

I really appreciate reading everyone's posts. You are a strong bunch of women (and husband!) and I derive strength from you all. Thanks for sharing

Linda

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

duffyzmom--someone (can't remember who!) was surprised that after tolerating T+H well, she had some not-minor SEs with H only. Based on that, I decided to take a Claritin, an anti-nausea med, and Advil (just for the heck of it) before each H infusion. I don't get any pre-meds either, and I think blood draws are only every other session, same as when I see the MO. I'll have my second H only on Friday. And I so hear you about the hair growth. I've told several people lately to do the Grow Hair Dance. (If anyone knows what that is or has found it to work, please let me know.) I am so anxious to ditch the ball caps.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

hi everyone and thank you all for your kind words but InnaB's 'smashing' comment cause me to laugh and choke on my coffee this morning!

Maggie, I hope each day gets better for you.

I'm so glad a few of you have trips or getaways to look forward to. It's so refreshing just to take off and have something to look forward to. I'm glad for all of you!

Linda, I so agree with your topless comment and you are spot on. I agree it does feel good! It is our own insecurities of how we view ourselves, not how others do. Sure, those "other" stares will happen but I honestly think they will be few and far between. I've found most people very kind. Enjoy your reprieve to strengthen your mind, body, and soul for your surgery. Grieving is normal I just think we all do it at different times during this experience.

Ok, I honestly have probably less than a dozen pics of my self over the past 20 years but here is another. I'm 12 weeks today PFC. Hair is very thick. You all will get there too. I just happen to be ahead of you a little bit. It's hard to take a selfie of the back of your head too lol. Hope everyone is having a good day.

• debal

• Weeeddie
    Weeeddie Member Posts: 17

Ladies and Gentlemen I finished my last chemo 😀. My Oncologist mentioned the Pallas trial today which he thinks I would be a good candidate for, if anyone has an opinion good or bad I would really appreciate it.

• debal

Congrats weeddie!!! Drum role for you!! I will have to look in to the pallas trial. Hope you are feeling well.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Congrats, weeeddie! Good luck with the Pallas trial.

Linda2119, congrats to you, too, for finishing chemo, How nice to see all those shows in NYC and get out of town for awhile. It's good to know the stamina comes back - I was tired just reading about your busy schedule, lol. Kudos, too, for "going topless" (I did a double take when I first read that line, ha!) Can't wait to do the same. Right now, my head freezes if I take off my scarf or wig for too long. Also, it's okay to feel emotional about all we've gone through. I've read posts where it hasn't hit people until months after they've finished treatment. After diagnosis, we're just heaved into the fire, so to speak, and it takes awhile to realize that this is the new normal. I'm anticipating falling apart after my double mastectomy surgery in Oct.

Frog, so glad you are getting away this week, too. I'm sure it will help you to get your mind off or everything. Hoping your fingers are calming down. I bumped my thumb this morning at work and seriously thought I was going to pass out from the pain. It still hurts. I can not imagine what this would have been like if I hadn't been icing during treatments. Maggie, hoping you've turned the corner for healing and are doing better now that the allergy seems to be past you.

NoteRed, haven't heard from you in awhile - hope you're doing well.

Deb, you're making me jealous with the hair. I'm definitely starting biotin, etc as soon as I have my last chemo next week.

• ingerp

Huge congrats to Weeeddie!! And Deb those are inspiring pictures. Here's to the rest of us getting to that point. 🥂

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

Hi guys, urdrago, sounds like a rough few days with the Doppler for lymph node issues. Glad all is going better as of now. You will have more peace after your discussion after path report. I know, it's rough. Very rough.. I also am having Something going on in armpit by lymph surgery scar, but found a filled cyst there, idk, having Dr, check it Thursday..

As far as ringing a bell at last chemo, no one ever mentioned that here, and I never heard anyone else do it. Idk, i just was so so glad, a prayer of thanks did it for me.

Innab, hang on, you'll get through it. Acupuncture sounds like a smart move.

Engine...👍👍👍

GAW, i feel you on the neuropathy, it stinks. My left foot bottom is my problem area, it's very odd and sometimes the sharp pain radiates to the top. I used ice diligently during chemo, so it is what it is, i guess. Maybe in time it fades. My radiation oncologist spoke about taking turmeric as well, but im not sure what for.

Frog, good info on plant based diet and nutritional info. Glad thumb is on the mend, too

Hi DEBAL and Life, 😘😘😘

As far as eczema and such, i have thought that chemo drives impurities out of the skin, but, i only read that. I k ow since radiation, the chest area above my breast, has broken outg bad . .

• Djt

Deb al, i just saw your picture!!! Holy Moly girl that's amazing. I have just an overall whitish duck fuzz, and can still clearly see scalp! Are you taking any supplement for It? but wish I had your growth!! That's amazing!

• Djt

Wweede!! Congratulations!! That's just Great!!👍👍👍never heard of that trial. What is it for?

• InnaB2018

Congrats, Weedie! That’s a huge milestone! Waiting for the new hair picture in a few weeks. Can’t let Deb steal all the thunder 😜.

Thank you, guys, for the words of encouragement! The next Taxol is on Wednesday. Hoping for: good blood test, good vein, and an easy time with this round. Had my hedgehog session today in preparation.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Linda, Congrats on finishing chemo..are u noticing the difference now that ur 25 days PFC? Also it's very refreshing to be able to be semi bald and start seeing hair regrowth..I've got my little bit and havent been wearing any head coverings since my 7the Taxol. Hoping the air helps my hair grow😉.

Deb. Your looking fabulous, and I'm amazed how thick ur hair is in the back. I will be happy to see my hair growth in the upcoming weeks..

Duffy, wishing u safe travels alternate weekends back and forth to Michigan during radiation. I've got awhile after surgery before I get to that step.keep in touch and let us how it goes.

Wendie, Congrats being done with chemo. I dont have any advise regarding next steps for trials as I still am awaiting surgery. Sorry cldnt be more help.

Gawarrior. Hoping no SE's tomorrow as u head to 11 of 12 Taxol treatments. Will u be iceing it hands at ur infusion? I hoping a week PFC I will begin to notice less neuropathy.

Djt, I'm rowing in a very same boat with white hair color. Hoping the dark color comes back soon.i take biotin tablet each day.

Magfie/Innab, one step at a time, and be kind to ur self each day.

Frog, have a fun get away. Glad to know ur hands are getting better gradually..

Engine, hows janice doing, is she still venturing out for a daily walk? I didnt walk today as I was exhaisted just being on the plant on floor most of the day .too hot @ 90 +degress.

Have a enjoyable week, sending good vibes...

• debal

morning all,

Duffy, good luck with your first H, getting that port out and preparing for the temporary Michigan move. How far is that from home?

GAW, so agree about how this disease hits you later on. That's where I am now and why i thankfully could take a 'bonus' week off from work with this exchange. Once treatment slows down there is more time to think. It's hard to explain. Best of luck to you tomorrow and InnaB too. Seems like Wednesday is the big day for everyone. Healing thoughts to anyone that I missed.

Djt, you are funny. It seems like I'm in a group if blondies! I was always dark so I'm sure that's part of why it shows up more. I've used the biotin shampoo to keep scalp clean and alternate a plant based hair and nails vitamin with biotin. My hairstylist was helpful in guiding me to the right products.

Off to the trail then stopping into work to meet with bosses. Transitioning back to work makes me uneasy. Love my coworkers and my job. It's just very high stress and super fast paced. Iove that but know it's not the best thing for me anymore and that's difficult. Trying to find that balance I guess.

Hope everyone is feeling well.

• bobby77056
    bobby77056 Member Posts: 16

Ladies.. hello! Here from June/July forums. I check this forum daily, for any updates. I like to see what is coming up for me, and thank you for the inspiration and the tips.

I finished with AC a couple of weeks ago, and start Taxol next week. Not looking forward to it, but glad AC is done! Some of you told me that Taxol is not as bad, and is more manageable. I work FT and have a 7 yr old daughter, and can't afford to be miserable, as I was before.

I lost my hair 10 days after I started with AC, and the very next week my hair was already growing. Not all, but most of it. Since then, my hair is continuing to grow in most parts. I haven't lost anymore hair, even when I was in the middle of AC. My question, and please let me know your experience, is if once I start Taxol, my only and little hair will fall out again? I am very excited because I can see it grow, but I don't want to be upset when it's gone again.. My eyelashes and brows are slowly departing Sad, but my head is getting fuller.. please share your thoughts..

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Hibobby, i think we all have our own unique experience regarding when our hair comes back. mine started to grow at my 7th Taxol treatment. So far I’ve not lost it again, and noticed that my legs armpit, and bikini line hasn’t to be shaved. however my eye brows and lashes are completely gone and haven’t showed a sign of returning yet. I’m 5 day so PFC so I’m hoping in the next 3 weeks I will see something return in my eye area.. ☺️ sorry I couldn’t be more of a help.

• gawarrior

InnaB, I am so so so hoping you have an easy time of it today. Hugs, I'll be thinking of you and will send good thoughts of wide-open veins, a great blood count, and a super easy infusion. One to go after today for both of us! :)

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Happy Hump Day All! I'm celebrating the fact that I get my port out today. Fingers crossed I can finally get some relief from the swelling in my left arm with the port gone.

GAW and InnaB - the end is near. Good luck with your final rounds of chemo. Yesterday I noticed a woman starting her journey in the infusion room and was so glad to be on the other side of it.

My radiation simulation went well and I'm still hopeful I'll get started early next week. I guess they are pretty busy down in radiation right now though so hopefully there isn't a delay in getting the plan developed.

DebAL - my Michigan house is about 2.5 hours from our place in Canada. Now that summer is winding down border crossing is getting better but you still never know what you'll going to get so I usually allow 3 hours when I drive right from Canada to cancer center. We are trying to get this house ready to sell as hubby's job will eventually bring up back to US. So my plan is painting and organizing here during radiation.

Urdrago and Bobby - I feel stubbies on my head now which is giving me hope. Anyone else checking out cute short hairstyles? Anytime I see a cute short cut I think oohhh I think I'll try that. Although I do remember the chemo curls last time so I'm wondering if I'll go through the curly hair stage again this time.

• Djt

Duffy, HAPPY PORT REMOVAL DAY🥂🥂🥂

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Duffy, Happy Port Removal Day! I hope your arm feels better soon.

• debal

Morning everyone, yay duffy you are portless today! Google mycancerchic when you are up to it. A beautiful young woman that has been through all this but she's still an inspiration to older gals like me. Let me know what you think. I love all of her hair styles. I can dream can't I?

GAW, InnaB I hope today went well for you..and anyone else having appts today.🤗

• InnaB2018

I had a very nice surprise today. My oncologist switched me to Abraxane because of my allergic reaction last time. The infusion itself was a breeze. Apparently they don't do any premeds on Abraxane! Who knew? Had no pain from the infusion, but now I am at home and am very sad to say that the tingling have already started. Mostly in my arms and hands, but I am sure my feet will join the party soon. It's not too bad, though. No Neulasta this time either! My white blood cells and neutrophils counts are too high, so they decided to bypass it this time, and usually they aren't giving it after the last chemo at all. No Neulasta, yay!

GAWarrior, how are you doing, girl?

Duffy, happy port removal day!

• ingerp

InnaB--all in all that's great news! And congrats to Duffyzmom for being portless!!

• Djt

Innab glad you got a good surprise, every little improvement is so huge in our world, hope tingles go away too.

• gawarrior

Djt what did they say about the cyst or lump in your arm pit today? Sorry about your neuropathy. The MO said it lessens at 1 month, then again around 3 mo, then again at 6 and a year. Hopefully, faster than that for all of us. Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. The curcumin in it is supposed to be a big cancer fighter. I have some ready to take when the MO clears me.

Duffy, good luck with the swelling now that your port is gone. Congrats on getting it out! Sorry you have to be living in MI away from your family during rads. I hope it is only the 3-4 weeks they've been planning on.

DebAL, I'm sure this hits us all hard at some point. I can see where you have lots of time to think (and worry) once treatment is done. Hoping you feel more ready to take on your job in a few days. It's rough to have to go back to a face-paced environment and the stress. Maybe there will be a position in the future that would let you dial it back a little. Keep hitting the trails and working out that stress!

InnaB, so very excited and happy for you that your infusion went well today! Hoping the SEs from the Abraxane will be mild-to-none. Only 1 more to go!

Bobby77056, I have fuzzies on the top of my head, but nothing on the sides. I just got T #11 today. I check my hair daily (I try not to, but I miss my hair!) and apply castor oil, but not much yet. Good for you for growing your hair back so fast! For me, Taxol has been easy except for being tired and my fingers (a "raw" feeling at the fingertips and my nails look like a combo of infection and bruising). I ice during every infusion - you might look at the threads on that. I have some problems even with doing the icing, I can't imagine what I would have if I hadn't done it. I haven't missed any work with either AC or Taxol, but I think (hope!) you'll find T to be much easier than AC. Watch your protein - my RBCs kept dropping every week, then someone here mentioned that I might need more protein. Turns out you need 80-100 gm more of protein daily while on chemo. Never heard that from my MO (who was also surprised to hear it, but couldn't argue when I started drinking protein drinks and raised my RBCs by almost 1 point in one week). Good luck!

Egine, hoping Janice is still doing well and gaining more stamina daily. Hoping you can relax this weekend.

I got T #11 today. My RBCs held steady, my fingers felt pretty decent before the infusion (no foot problems this week), so I'm confident the finger tip issues will go away once I'm done next week. Next week. Next week. I can barely stand the wait. It's a good thing we'll be with my family and some friends this holiday weekend, it will help pass the time. I'm bummed that I'll still have to go to the MO the week after I'm done (blood counts will be run) and 3 weeks PFC (covering all bases before surgery), but at least they should be quick visits.

Urdrago, hoping you're feeling better this first week past chemo.Hope your weekend is relaxing. Weren't you going to a beautiful beach after chemo? I swear I remember a post a looonnnngggg time ago about a place you were going after chemo...

Frog, hoping you're enjoying your getaway and that the weather is cooperating and spring-like.

Have a nice long weekend for those who get Labor Day off this Monday. Hugs to everyone!

• carol2018
    carol2018 Member Posts: 11

I think you look gorgeous! Your spirit shines through

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi GAWarrior,

I hope your last treatment next week goes well. I'm glad the RBCs are holding steady.

Thanks. She is doing well. The incision is still draining slightly at night, but noting that a large band aid can't handle. Her neuropathy seems a little better. It is mainly her feet. Her fingers are better. She is planning to go back to work in October. DebAl: She is in a high stress job too and she's been off since mid April.