Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

Engine, yours is a great example of the crazy housing prices in CA.  Isn't this Janice's second week back at work? Hope it will go ok for her.  

Urdrago, hope your drain came out today and the doc gave you a good report on your healing progress.

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi Maggie,

It is actually the start of her third week. Thankfully, she is able to work from home three days a week, but they gave her the caseload of a guy that got fired recently and most of the cases are a mess. I think we are a week or two away from having to go back to the surgeon to see about the incision still draining. It has slowed down a lot, but it is still draining.

Urdrago: I hope the drain came out today and all is well.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Engine, Drain is out..so glad, but as u probably know I need to keep an eye on incisions and opening til everything completely helps. Hoping Janice is healed before the check up..

Update, all looks good at incisions. I have axillary webbing syndrome and PT starts wednesday. I will be doing 6 weeks radation, than 6 month Xeloda. Was offered to do the Keytruda trial, dont know if I will yet. I still need to do research.

All seems to be moving forward.. with a lot of appts..lol

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Welcome. DG1986. You don't have a diagnosis under your "signature" on your profile, so I'm not sure what type of BC you have, but I looked up perjeta and they seem to give it in combination with herceptin for high-risk BC. I'm higher risk, but I'm triple negative, so this isn't something us TNbc ladies get. I thought this article might help: https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/hercept... , plus you can do a search for perjeta on this website (upper left hand side) and likely will find a thread about it and others who can answer more questions. Good luck!

• gawarrior

Life, I hope today was a better day for you, anxiety-wise. I like Engine's suggestion of having the radio by the bed. DH and I use a white noise machine. I can tell the sleepless nights are coming for me this week. My surgery is on Friday (10/19) and I'm getting nervous. I didn't sleep well last night. Oh well, I'm sure the pain meds will take care of that starting Friday, lol. Stay warm - my sis in Denver said they had 25 and snow yesterday, so you must be similar. Thanks, I'll take my 75 degrees! i figure it will cool off here just about the time I want to ditch my scarves and wig, just like Ingerp (you look beautiful, Inger, by the way!)!

Engine, my family is from the Chicago suburbs, too (Mt. Prospect, Arlington Heights, and I lived in Glenview for awhile as a child). I love the area in the summer, but NOT in the winter! I would imagine that grandchildren and retirement might make it more tolerable, though. Gee whiz, I cannot believe Janice's incision is still draining. I wonder - do you suppose they left something inside the surgery area like a clip or gauze or something?

Urdrago, glad the drain is out - wishing you quick healing. Good luck with your decision on the Keytruda trial - research will help. Maybe talking with your family or a close friend, too? Sometimes other people who aren't caught up in the emotion and fear of a diagnosis the way we are, can point of something we might not see or might overlook. It's a tough decision, for sure. I'm glad you have some time to look into it.

• maggie2

GAWarrior, I’m sure you’ve told us what your surgery on Friday is, but I don’t remember.

• urdrago71

Gawarrior, its a hard choice with what if's.. So Im going to do choice for me. I know right now even with radiation Xeloda is a forsure..that drops me to 20ish. Than I share my opinion with family and go from there. But actually I want away from it all for a bit. Im looking at getting a camper, to run away when need..readjust with nature and start again!!

Frog, how are you holding up thru radiation? Hugs...

Life, I ditto what Gawarrior and Engine said.. I've got a fan in my room for noise..just need to find what works for you..

Tomorrow I start looking into Radation and have Oncologist visit in the am...

Cyber Hugs to all I missed.. Be kind to urself!!

• Engine104

Hi Urdrago and GAWarrior,

Chemo or no, in two days, we're talking six months post op. The surgeon said if it is still draining when we come back in a month (In about a two weeks or so now), he may decide to open the incision up again and see what's what. The drainage has slowed down a lot (Almost stopped), so I hope it stops by then. It may be as he said, that it is just taking a long time to heal because Janice's counts always got so low with the TC chemo and she had the septic infection there as well.

Wow. I know that area well. My son's first apartment when he moved was on Rand Rd at about Dundee. He now lives by the nature preserve in Palatine. It's just west of Arlington Park race track. He went to Indiana U and missed all of his friends (They were all from the area and in Buffalo Grove) when he graduated and moved back home, so he looked for teaching and coaching jobs in their area. I'm not looking forward to moving there, but my wife and I both want to be a part of our grandkid's lives. Of course, our son has to marry his GF first! :) Minor detail :)

• gawarrior

Urdrago, That's awesome that the rads/Xeloda combo cuts your recurrence rate in half! That camper sounds like a great idea - I could use one right about now, too. Good luck at the MO today, maybe they will have some more info to help you decide. Either way, you wouldn't start the trial until after rads and Xeloda, right?

Maggie2, I'm doing a BMX (right one for cancer, left one is prophylactic due to being triple negative. Now, I'll have two perky boobs instead of a perky one and one headed south, lol.

Engine, good that they will consider opening the incision. In dental, we sometimes have extraction sites that won't heal and the dentist has to go back in and scrape out the bad tissues (infection, etc is in them). After that, they generally heal well. Hoping Janice's will resolve and she won't have to do that. Yes, I know about where you're talking about in Palatine. Lol, I can see where you might be putting the cart before the horse if they aren't even married yet, though. But, it helps to plan!

Good golly, my back is killing me again. I was into the chiropractor twice last week and was still miserable every work day. He adjusted me after work on Thurs and I was great over the weekend. Went to work yesterday and I could tell it was coming back again. I was in pain by noon and spent the night on the couch to avoid keeping DH awake. I just wish I could figure out the problem. It will be good to have 4 weeks off for surgery, maybe that time will help it resolve. By the way, my fingers and feet are probably 85% better now that I'm 6 weeks PFC and I can just barely see the outline of hair around my face (if that makes sense). The peach fuzz is getting more prominent. Yay!

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Life, I will be getting 20 rads. 15 to the whole breast and 5 boosts. I will be halfway through radiation tomorrow.

I have been feeling really anxious since the last 2 days. I haven't slept well. And I feel claustrophobic in the rad room. I struggle to do the breath hold. I was doing fine until last friday. I went topless yesterday. Once, in the cafe at the hospital, which was not a big deal as every one there is kind of in the same boat. And then at the local super market. Very few people knew about my diagnosis. I was not sure if I could handle the chemo and unwanted attention at the same time. Anyone else think that me deciding to go topless and face the looks and questions has anythingto do with the anxiety?

Urdrago, glad you have a plan. Take it one step at a time. Gets quite overwhelming at times. Bring on the questions on rads. Do you know when you start?

GAWarrior, thats great news on the hands and feet. I hope your back feels better soon. I still have mild tingling and numbness in my thumbs and index fingers. But its getting better.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Frog I’ve been topless for four days now and haven’t noticed many looks but I’m not really looking for them. I just keep my eyes straight ahead and go on about my business. I hope you can calm yourself down during rads and go out in public tall and proud. Time to give yourself a pat on the back for all you’ve been through.

• maggie2

GAWarrior, I also had a BMX. We didn't know the left side, along with the diagnosed DCIS had a very small triple negative component until the surgical pathology report.  So it probably was good that I had already planned on the right side prophylactic.  You'll stay in the hospital overnight?  I hope your chiropractor can get your back feeling better by Friday, though the pain meds for the BMX would probably help with your back too :)

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Frog it was the halfway mark when I started developing my anxiety as well. I don't know if it has anything to do with you going topless as I have been going topless for quite a while now. At first I thought everyone was looking me as well. You know, I think I was just imagining that. Most people are to wrapped up in their own lives to even notice. Lol. My radiation doctor said to me that some people do develop this anxiety as their treatment comes to an end. There sub conscious mind starts reflecting what they've been through. The radiation tech started playing music for me to take my mind in a different direction. I remind myself about all the different people that I know on this board and in person that have been through radiation and if they can do it so can. I also pray for strength and courage and the spirit of peace. I have four more to go. You can do it Frog!!

Congrades on getting the drains out Undrago. Also good to hear your headed to therapy for your arm. I haven't heard about the medication that you are going to be taking. I have heard of the tests that you are are talking about if it is immunity therapy? If so my SO's mom is doing that. She goes for an infusion every 3 weeks, she said there's not much side effects at all to it. She's just started developing mouth sores so she has to watch what she eats. She has to do it for a whole year and she has 2 more months to go. She's doing it for lung cancer, a tumor that is inoperable but shrunk from chemo and now they're building her immune system to fight it off if it starts to grow back. Is that the type of test your thinking about getting involved in? As far as camping, yep that is my get away for sure! You can really get in touch when you get away from it all!

GaWarrier Thank you for your incouraging words. Just think surgery is one more step closer of being done!! As far as your back, my back was hurting a lot. I started doing certain stretches and it seems to be lifting off the pain. It took a while while, specially if it's your lower back. If it just now starting to hurt maybe you are holding all your stress in your back? I tend to hold mine in my shoulders as neck. My mom and dad started listening to sound escape's on TV. We all have Spectrum Cable. It plays very zen like music to relax with. I gave it a shot last night and you know it was pretty relaxing. Good to hear that your fingers and feet are feeling better. I still am struggling with feeling like I'm walking around on rocks and sand in my shoes. However I have noticed it's only with tighter shoes. I went out and bought myself as pair of dansko shoes. We're pretty pricey but my feet do feel better.

Engine I cannot even believe the Janice is still dealing with drainage from her incision! How long has it been now? From the sounds of it her job is pretty stressful! I work with the public both in person and on the phone. It cracks me up when they want to walk through an application line by line including their name and address. Lol

Interg how have you been feeling? Have you started the estrogen-blocking pill yet? You are also going to do anastrozole, right? I believe DJT is taking that same pill as well.

DJT haven't heard much from you since you showed us the top of your cute head! :-)

InnaB how is rads for you? How many are you doing?

I am so glad that the weather has gotten warmer. GAwarrier, Yes, it was 65 degrees on Saturday and by 8 that night had dropped down to 19 degrees with a snowstorm. It's just now starting to get a little warmer again. This weekend is suppose to get back up into the 60's. Yay!! Don't have to do my cleaning job this weekend so I'm trying to get some stuff done around my house that I couldn't do this summer.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week. I will check back again to see how everyone's doing as the week goes on.

Huggs!!

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Life you are sweet to ask. I’m good, and will start Anastrozole I assume in November. My MO didn’t bring it up the last time I saw her, although I was still getting rads then. She had told me I wouldn’t start until 2-3 weeks after rads. I won’t see her until 11/5–I guess I’ll be starting after that. Not exactly looking forward to it. I’ve read all of the horror stories. I’m hoping the SEs don’t hit me too hard

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

Hi strangers! I'm back and hope you all are feeling well. I plan to read back this evening to catch up on how everyone is doing. It was great to have some time away. Hard to believe all the devastation was only 50 miles from where we stayed. I think the sunshine and ocean air helped my hair grow too. For the first time this morning I actually needed to use the blow dryer for about 60 seconds. My husband was like..whaaat???? He had not heard that sound for 7 months! I'm heading to the basement to get on the treadmill. For those of you getting ready for AIs I'm sure you will understand. Moving helps. I'm starting to notice some joint pain but does resolve pretty quickly. Starting back to yoga Friday.

Thinking of all of you and sending healing thoughts to everyone.

• maggie2

DebAL, welcome back! It sounds as if the tri was the best medicine if it even helped your hair grow.

• gawarrior

Maggie, thanks re: my back. Yup, already thinking about the pain pills for it, lol. I can't take anything by Tylenol right now because surgery is too close. Yes, I'll stay overnight one night. Yikes re: your pathology report! Good thing you had the prophylactic MX, too. I had a second area that they found in my first MRI, in addition to the tumor - the biopsy came back benign but atypical, which is when the MO recommended at least a UMX. Being triple negative, I'm having both done, because I worry I'll have more areas like you did. Anything to cut down the chance of recurrence.

Frog, glad your fingers are better. So sorry about your anxiety. Life's idea bout playing music sounds good - I hope you can do something like that. Let the rads people know how you are feeling so they can help you deal with it. Congrats on your bravery to go topless. I'm still at the stage where I'll scare people, lol, but it seems to be growing in noticeably more every day.

Life, thanks for the suggestion to look up stretching exercises. Yes, I really do think my back pain is stress. Yesterday, I was distracted at work by a pair of cute boys (ages 8 and 6, don't start thinking bad about me, lol). They were so much fun to have in my chair and we were talking about Halloween nd football while I was cleaning their teeth. Suddenly I realized my back didn't hurt because they distracted me. So, I'm practicing keeping my shoulders down (yep, they were up around my ears, ha!). Maybe yoga, like DebAL just mentioned in her post...

DebAL, welcome back! Glad you had fun on your "adventurous" vacation and that the hurricane didn't mess up your plans too much.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Hi, guys! Glad to hear everybody is on the mend. Engine, I hope Janice’s incision will finally stop draining soon. Come on, now, it’s been too long.

I am on my second week of rads. So far so good, except tiredness in the evening and mild itching right after the treatment. Cording is almost gone, thank God. A couple more PT sessions should get rid of it, hopefully.

This weekend we were blindsided by my husband’s aunt’s massive stroke. She died on Monday, poor lady. We loved her very much. My DH is en route to Denver, where she lived, for the funeral. My DH has a horrible year: first I was diagnosed, then his 50 year old cousin died unexpectedly, then his aunt died in Israel, and now another one in Colorado. He usually bottles up his emotions inside, but this time it’s just impossible. It feels like we’ve been crying for months. I don’t even have a power to write anymore.

GAWarrior, good luck with the surgery. Are you going to do immediate reconstruction?

Urdrago, drains are a pain in the neck, I know. Stay strong.

• urdrago71

InnaB, how long have u had PT for cording? Drain was part of my discomft but I have cording as well just started PT today.

• InnaB2018

Urdrago, I am still in therapy for cording, but it’s much better. This is fifth week. I go twice a week. My therapist thinks I’ll be done in two weeks.

• urdrago71

InnaB - thats really good news. I will also be going twice a week. Cannot wait to get my movement back..how are u doing now that radiation has started?

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

11/20 rads today.

Engine, hope Janice’s incision has healed. I agree with Inna, enough already. Hope she is having an easy 3rd week back at work.

Inna, hugs to you. It is not easy going through something like this. I lost my brother in law 3 weeks before my diagnosis. Congenital heart failure. He was younger than me and my sister is trying to get on her feet with her now 1 year old. 2018 is not my favourite year

DebAl, even I went whaaaat. Yeyyy for hair dryers. You go girl.

GA Warrior, I hope you are sleeping well and your back is feeling better. Best wishes as you go into surgery on friday.

I am doing okay anxiety wise. I have crammed my days with lots of activities (read boring household chores). I went topless today to the clinic but then could not do it when I went to pick my kid from school. I have given myself until this sunday.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

So I had my liver enzymes checked yesterday and they are even more elevated instead of going down. Been struggling with this since June. I asked the radiation doctor today if radiation could be causing it and she said no but the anastrozole pill that I am taking could be causing it. Ugg!!! I worked through all the side effects and they are getting less and less to where I can handle this pill and now this. Grrrrr. So back to the OC in Denver to see what he thinks.

Frog glad to hear that your anxiety is getting better!

Innab that is an awful lot to take on. I couldn't imagine having to deal with all of that on top of everything else. Hope you're doing well with radiation and your cording is getting better and better everyday. I am actually scheduled to have a massage sleeve sent to me at the end of the week to avoid the lymphedema that keeps trying to poke its ugly head up.

GA Warrior will be thinking about you tomorrow. Best of luck to you with your surgery! One more thing you can check off the list. Enjoy those painkillers an dx relaxing and binging on Netflix. Let us know how your doing when you feel up to it.

DebA welcome back! Sounds like your vacation is just what the doctor ordered. Glad to hear about your hair growing and wow a blow dryer! I forgotten what they even sound like. LOL

Well I have two more radiations to go. Looking forward to Monday when I can say that I'm done and check that off my list.

Everyone have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Huggs!

• InnaB2018

Just had #8 of 25 rads. Skin is ok, but I am constantly tired, thirsty and mildly nauseated. Not sure whether these are side effects of the rads or Effexor, which I took yesterday to deal with hot flashes. The tech said he barely sees bad side effects nowadays. Maybe some skin redness. I hope so. Going to take a nap before the PT appointment in a couple of hours. I hate 2018.

• Engine104

Hi everyone,

The incision is still draining, but only slightly. Still, it's been six months now. Janice's appointment with the surgeon is a week from tomorrow.

GAWarrior and anyone else with triple negative BC, this study was on the news last night.. The Mayo Clinic is working on a vaccine for triple negative BC. So far, their study shows this immuno-therapy to be more effective than hormone therapy in preventing the recurrence of BC in triple negative patients. Here is the link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/mayo-clinic-sees-hope-in-breast-cancer-vaccine

• maggie2

Engine, thanks for the link. The triple negative site has information about the clinical trial for anyone interested. My onc had said there’s lots of research into triple negative now.

GAWarrior, best wishes for surgery tomorrow.

• urdrago71

Gawarroir, thinking about you as u head to surgery. Praying the cancer is dead cells and quick a recovery,

Cyber hugs, and good vibes..

• gawarrior

InnaB, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for your loss, that is unthinkable to lose so many loved ones so close together, plus your diagnosis. Thanks for wishing me luck tomorrow. I will have TEs put in, then will do the exchange in January or Feb. Safe travels to your family, hang in there with the rads!

Frog, I'm so sorry for your loss, too. I'm sure your sister is struggling. We need to be sure to live each day to the fullest and tell our loved ones how much they mean to us. I've learned the hard way through this diagnosis that life and good health are not a given. Also, I saw the chiropractor again today - my back is okay for now... I imagine having the stress of surgery over with will help, too, as I have been really tense this whole week. Good luck with rads and going topless!

Life, early congrats for completing rads! So sorry about your liver enzymes, though. Are you taking a lot of Tylenol for pain? That can raise your enzymes. Just a thought...

Thanks for the TNBC link, Engine. I think they are finally looking into TNBC now that they have been so successful with the majority of BC.

I appreciate the good wishes, Maggie2 and urdrago, thanks.

I'll post when I'm back and feeling up to it. Meanwhile, have a great weekend everyone!

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

morning everyone,

GAW I will be thinking of you today. Hoping your path report is clear. Day by day. You know we are all here for support and any questions.

Inna B and Frog thinking of you as you go through rads. I've not experienced rads to offer any advice. I'm sure it is draining physically and emotionally. Inna B I'm sorry for your loss. Frog, go topless when you feel ready.

Urdrago and everyone that is having limitations with movement please consider PT. I had my drains 3 weeks with mastectomy which put me behind on the exercises. PT helped alot. My therapist said I came for treatment early and she wished others would too..rather than wait.

Howz it going Maggie? I will know Nov 15th whether I keep my dec appt for round 2 fat grafting. I'm making my appt today for bra fitting at nordstroms .

Engine. I hope Janice's job is not too stressful. I know you were concerned. It does appear immunotherapy is the direction of the future. Just to think of the possibility.of a vaccine is amazing. I just hope it happens soon

LIFE, congrats on the end of rads. It could be the anastrozole affecting your labs. Ask at your next appt. There are 2 others you can switch too. It seems to never end sometimes I know

Ingerp, try your best to not focus too hard on the side effects of the AI. I had to make a conscious effort to be aware of the major side effects only and will deal when or even if they occur. I've been on arimidex for 4 months. My joints are stiff but movement helps and the stiffness works out quickly. Returning to yoga today. I take calcium and vitamin D also. I do have 2 pretty intense hot flashes at night but I did that with chemo too. No nausea, weight gain so far. I take mine in the evening. I also take a claritin at the same time. I was on it during chemo to help with bone pain from neulasta and with permission stayed on it. I dont want to stop the claritin to find out. I'm sure you have had your dexascan to see your baseline for osteoporosis. However, some do have major side effects. Give it time but by all means do not be miserable. There are 2 others to switch to if needed. Just dont talk yourself out of it before you try it.

Duffy, djt, and ALL I have missed I hope you are doing well.

Well, I actually dropped my work schedule to 2 10 hr shifts per week. VERY stressful job but I can handle anything 2 days a week. On a 3rd day I work in the fitness center helping with cardiac rehab. Love it. There was no doubt job stress was the #1 modifiable risk factor for me. Alarm going off at 3:15 am everyday is over. Slept till 6am today and feel great. Heading for a walk then yoga. Had lunch with a SIL yesterday that I haven't seen in a long time. Really nice to reconnect with her. That's what life is all about. Try to do something everyday or spend time with others that 'fill your bucket' . It makes for a better day.

• Engine104

Thanks, GAWarrior.. Hoping everything goes great for you today.

Hi DebAL: Thanks. My big concern right now is the incision still leaking. We see the surgeon again next Friday.

I really think the key to cancer treatment is immunotherapy. There has been tremendous advances in that the last few years. This was the first BC-specific study I've seen. It certainly looks promising.