Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Just got back from a six-week follow-up with my RO. Everything looks good (which I knew—I really don’t think about rads any more). I won’t see her again for six months. Kind of wonderful having so few medical appts on my calendar these days. For those on an AI, she said really the only SEs her patients complain about are hot flashes and about one in four gets stiff when sitting still. I’ve always enjoyed her—I’m going to miss her a little bit

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

ingerp, I totally understand. I love my breast surgeon. Shes been through breast cancer herself and you cant imagine how it is to be under the care of a physician that "gets it" . Luckily, she operates once a week and I pre-op her patients. I get a big hug from her once a week. Cant imagine going through this without her.

InnaB...care less..hmmm. that's sounds good. I'm doing ok so far but if I find I'm not I will not hesitate to ask.

Engine, wow. This continued news of the fire is truly devastating.

I hope everyone is feeling well. Deb

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Udrago - I love the color. I can't decide yet if I have enough hair to make it worthwhile. Although maybe with big game coming up I'll color it Blue - Yes DebAL - another go Blue here. I'm an IU grad but we put two kids through UofM so feel totally justified calling ourselves Wolverine fans - Go Blue.

Engine - glad to hear winds have died down. We stayed in AirBNB in Malibu the summer our son was working out in Calabasas and I have a feeling that home is gone now. It was on Rameriz Canyon Rd. Not too far from that park Barbra Streisand donated to California.

Last week was no medical appointments at all. So a nice break. When I saw RO he freed me until the 1 year mark. I think he was being kind since I still see MO every 6 weeks due to the continuing Herceptin.

Have a great weekend all!

• debal

duffy, oh no! Two of you!. I think you should color your hair scarlet and gray! LOL. Go Bucks!

• duffyzmom

well DebAL - I'd only need the scarlet I can provide plenty of the gray. Loopy

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Your girls are too cute with you football rival. Lol

Undergo Looking good. I like the color!

I had my ultrasound done Friday on my liver. Now we wait and see if it tells My OC what he's looking for or if I have to do the CT scan next. Yesterday I was out grocery shopping and ran into an old friend I hadn't seen in years. She said her husband head that I had breast cancer. Then she said the ultimate words that I so did not need to hear. She went on to tell me that she had a friend that had breast cancer went to the treatment did really good and then the breast cancer came back in her liver and colon. Thanks for sharing that tidbit of information. I just love when people share that bright colorful news with me. I know it's out there, i know if can happen and that it does exists. Seriously, I often have to ask myself what makes a person feel that that is the right thing to say? Am I just being overly sensitive?

I have slumped into this lazy mode lately. Like I have no desire to do any kind of cardio at all other than when I clean the medical facility I cleaned. I wasn't really released by the radiation doctor to go to the gym and start doing weight training. As a matter of fact she told me just to give myself till the end of the year to heal before starting a regiment like that. I'm sure it has something to do with the 23 lymph nodes that were taken out. I just bought myself a pedometer on Amazon. Hopefully keeping track of my steps will get me moving again. It could be the cold snowy weather too though I've never been one that likes to work out when it's cold out. LOL

I started drinking calm at night to help with the joint pain and muscle tension. I think it's actually working I only remember waking up 3 or 4 times last night and it wasn't because of pain. Perhaps I should try and drink this calm a little earlier in the evening so I'm not up all the time if you catch my drift. LOL

Hope you all are doing well and having a great weekend. Those of you traveling for the holidays be safe.

Huggs to you all.

• duffyzmom

LIFE - How quickly do you think you'll hear from MO about the ultrasound? I hope the wait isn't too long. I'm sorry you had to deal with a Chatty Cathy. I'm not sure what people like that think they are doing by sharing such a scary story.

I've started trying to work out this week and can't believe how weak I am. I think I'm going to go back to just yoga and walking for a bit until my strength gets better. Step counting is a good motivator for me but I'll be sticking to the treadmill because it's just too cold here right now.

Happy Thanksgiving.

• life1963

Duffy I'm not sure how long I'm hoping sometime this week but with Thanksgiving in the middle of it my guess is it's going to be the following week. I'm just hoping that he really gets all this together and get to CT scan if necessary and all my other scans before the end of the year before my deductible starts all over again. Crap I'm still paying on this year's deductible! Ugg. Oh well I need to stop complaining because I do have insurance. Rant Over.

You know I think I might try out yoga. I do mild stretching at home but I'm sure I would be fine to go and do the yoga class at the gym and walk the treadmill. It is a way to get back into the gym slowly but surely. Thanks!

Happy Thanks Giving to you as well!

• debal

hi everyone! LIFE I hope you get your test results soon and sending good vibes your way for good results

Duffy, good one about the gray hair! Lol. Urdrago there is still time for you to add some scarlet to your hair too! It's funny to know we will be rooting against each other. Thinking about 20-25 at my house for the game Saturday

I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving with your families. I'm thankful to each one of you for being here for me over this past year. Your support means so much. Deb

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Life, how stupid are people to say something like that to you? They just don't stop and think how they would feel if they were in our position. You've got this - don't worry! I'm betting that all is fine with your liver and it's just the pain meds kicking up the levels. Like you, I'm feeling lazy. It's hard to find the will to get up and hit the treadmill when it's dark so early. Yesterday I came home from work and relaxed for a bit, then told DH I was putting on my comfy pj's. He gave me a funny look. I went upstairs to change, glanced at the clock and saw it was only 6:30! No wonder he squinted at me, lol. I seriously thought it was closer to 8:30. I'm going to start stretching and yoga as soon as the PS lets me. My back is already hurting at work after just 2.5 days of being back and I'm sure it's from muscle weakness (I had a problem with that during the last part of chemo, too). My TEs won't let me do much right now.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you wonderful ladies and Engine! You all rank right up at the top of the list of things I have to be thankful for this year - I'm not sure how I would have made it through all of this without your kind words and support. I'm so grateful. Safe journeys to those traveling and big hugs to you all!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

This year I am thankful for all of you lovely people. For all I know, you've made a difference between life and miserable depressed existence for me. May God be with you!

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Happy Thanksgiving to my second family. Wishing you a wonderful Holiday season. I feel very blessed to be surrounded by amazing friends. You've been here to supported me through this journey. Thank you.. be safe, happy, and jolly.. love ya all.

• life1963

Happy Thanksgiving my wonderful friends! I too feel that I am truly blessed to have found you. On days that I didn't think it was possible to smile you put that on my face, when I felt totally felt helpless or scared you reached out and comforted me and when I was dealing with all the side effects and wondering if I was suppose to feel that way you would share your stories and give me advice that would relax my mind. But most of all you took my loneliness away.

I can only pray that I was there for you this past year as you have been there for me.

Each of you hold a very special part in my heart.

WOW! What an emotional pup I am these days!

Love you all!

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

We're still in Chicago with our son, but we fly back tomorrow.

Life: I had someone say much the same thing to me. Sometimes, people really don't think before they say something. I'm sorry that person said that to you.

• debal

hey urdrago and duffy!! No plant based diet today. Still love you both GO BUCKS!

• duffyzmom

Well it was almost like I was with you Deb. I visited my mom in Indiana who was born and raised in Ohio and huge Buckeye fan. Great junk food in that photo.

• duffyzmom

Also jealous of your hair...I feel like I'm stuck at this barely hair length.

• gawarrior

Very cute, Duffyzmom! I know how you feel. Your hair is about the same length as mine. I feel like the top has thickened up a little in the last week, though. I want to ditch the scarves so badly but I think it will be Christmas before I can (at least). Hang in there!

• life1963

Duffy I love you Picture! Too Cute!

Deb I really like the color of you hair. Mine is salt and pepper.

I am off to go see the oncologist for the first time since July. I think he's going to do my blood markers. I have a page of questions to ask him about my arms falling a sleep and hurting, tingling in my feet, legs and arms, my ankles swelling, my exhaustion and foggy head. I also plan on talking with him about my liver enzymes. I also am going to ask him if he can get my mammogram done before the end of the year as well as my zometa infusion so that I don't have to pay for right away next year when my deductible kicks in again.

Hope you all had a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving.

Huggs

• duffyzmom

Life - Fingers crossed liver enzymes aren't a big issue. As for mammogram, did you have radiation? My BS wants me to wait until 6 months following my last radiation before I get my mammogram.

GAWarrior - yes my top is filling in because initially I was worried because it seemed very thin on top. During our visit to Indiana it was warm enough I ran around topless. But I'm back in Canada and really can't handle the cold here without some type of covering.

• InnaB2018

Still waiting for my hair to thicken. Considering buying the iRestore helmet. This is my head almost 11 weeks Pfc.

• gawarrior

InnaB, I'm telling you, we have the same amount of hair, mine is just darker/grayer. It's come in a lot just in the last 2 weeks and is baby fine. I'm 11.5 weeks PFC. Don't waste your money on the helmet!

• debal

hi everyone, hair talk! ! Duffy your hair looks great!!. You look awesome! It's like peach fuzz then all of a sudden it turns to 'real hair' and that's when mine really took off. You will get there too.

LIFE, I hope your appt went well. Keep us posted. Thanks, I had a temporary color put on only because it's less harsh according to my stylist. If you look close my hair has a mixture of colors lol. The temporary color doesnt give the coverage or last as long as the permanent color. My hair is pretty unruly to be honest but that's fine. This taffy stuff I'm using keeps it a little tame anyway

GAW, your hair is filling in great! I agree with GAW innaB, maybe wait on the helmet. It seems to be filling in nicely. Darker hair seems to give the appearance of filling in quicker.

• life1963

InnaB This is me at week 10

• life1963

This is me at week 20. It will come in and when it starts it just takes off just like Deb says. Mine has probably grown the most whithin the past two months. The back is Super Curly, the top spikes up and the front lays flat. It truly has a mind of it's own. I figure at this point in time after what it's been through it can do whatever it wants.

• debal

Hi again! I wanted to fill you all in on my appt with the integrative physician. Not sure if I mentioned it before but I filled out an 18 page history form that the Dr reviewed before I could even get scheduled. Appt was 2 hours long! I took notes but I left them at work , ugh, so I'll fill you in best I can.

My Dr used to be a primary care physician for many years. He decided to go into integrative medicine to make more of a difference. Not just see a patient for 10 minutes, hand out a Rx, and send you out the door.

Integrative medicine basically looks at all the factors that influence your health, wellness and disease. He mentioned making the body so it is less of a host for disease. The approach is evidenced based and meant to enhance traditional treatment.

He was very big into gut health. Probiotics and prebiotics foods that help the probiotics work better. We discussed nutrition at length. More cruciferious veggies which I knew I was lacking. Not sure I can get in the 6-8 servings a day he suggests but I can certainly improve. Cage free organic eggs, 100% grass fed beef etc.

He would like me to try adding trace elements drops to my water which I will consider. Definitely filtered water.

Added 1mg melatonin to start. He couldn't believe how little sleep I get. Not good. He was very impressed with the change I made in my job to decrease stress. He said " people anymore live in a constant state of fight/ flight" constant stress at my job without a doubt. He said fight/ flight is meant for emergencies only not for our daily lives.

He is drawing a comprehensive thyroid panel. Also sending blood out for all vitamin and trace element levels. It will guide us on which supplements I need and dont need. Looking forward to knowing what I need or dont need.

I was really impressed with our visit. It gives me a little more control back since this disease takes so much away. I know there is no guarantee but I'm hoping I can make needed changes to optimize my health and feel even better. If you have this service offered in your health system maybe consider looking into it.

It was nice to sit across from someone that was interested in my overall health. I'll take it. Sorry so windy! Deb

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

You all look Beautiful! Everyone's hair is growing.. woohooo. I beleive we are all general about the same lengths..

Lately the newest comment I get from most ppl after being off work is, you have color back in your face. Duh, Im not on chemo and have hair, eyebrows and lashes..

Nothing new to report here. Im 8 radiations down and 25 more to go.. the hardest part of rads right now is the cording tighten as I go a week.

I go back to my MO after christmas for a 2 month check.Hoping then I will get a schedule to start Xeloda to kick cancers a@* little more. Honestly, Ive been emotional now that Im starting to look like my old self I dont have the go as I did before.

DebAl, love the junk food pic. What a horrible game for U of M..Also what about a juicer to get more of ur vegs without all the chewing..Now that u address vegs. Ive been lacking ..

InnaB. I agree with everyone else wait on helmet the hair is growing just takes time.

Engine, Hows Janice doing? Did Chicago get snow from the storm last night? Its Winter Wonderland here in MI.

• life1963

Undrago I don't know what it is about radiation but when I was going through radiation I felt the same way. I was depressed, anxious, no energy and didn't think I would ever feel like my old self again. I don't know if it's because you're getting hit every day and so you don't have any time to regroup and get your energy level and clear up you mind a bit. I just don't know but I know that I felt that way as well. I'm about a month at a radiation, still tired, anxiety settling down, and I am starting to feel a little better. I do tend to take the time to look good these days where I completely stop doing that for months! Hugs to you as you continue to work through it.

• debal

LIFE, looking great! We are in the same place. Hair has a mind of own!

Urdrago. I did not have rads to be of much support to you. LIFE gives great advice. I'm sure its draining. I'm sorry if I missed it but did you have PT for cording? You will get close to your "go" back. You just need to get passed this first. I'm ok with not being 100% I still tire easily early evening. naps are a necessity not an option anymore. Thanks for the juicing tip too. I remember the 10 year span where we lost every game. It's a fun time of year for us. Beautiful winter pic!

Today is my terrific Tuesday. Slept in till 530, Meditated for 5 minutes, enjoyed my coffee. By the way there is a free app called 'insight timer' you can download. There is a map that shows all the people in the world that are meditating at the same time. Engines part of the country was pretty dark LOL I go straight to the timer and listen to the babbling brook for 5 min. It's a start. I will have time for the treadmill before working in our fitness center at the hospital at 10. This helps so much to feeling more balanced.

I'm babbling like the babbling brook now! I hope everyone has a great week. Thankful again for all of you, deb

• InnaB2018

Thank you, guys, for your support! I didn’t have a great hair before this nightmare, so now I am afraid it will just get worse. Afraid to start Anastrazole because it’s supposed to cause hair thinning among other great symptoms.

Life, GAWarrior, DebAl, Duffy, love your hair pics! Can’t wait to post something similar!

At this point, 2 weeks after radiation I am feeling all right. The burns are almost gone except one place under my fake boob, which stubbornly refuses to heal. Can’t believe it, but Monday will be my first work day since April! My boss almost cried when she heard that. She kept saying: I am so happy, we have so much work to do! Not sure this makes ME happy, because I think I forgot how to work altogether. I have a very stressful job with 2 weeks deadlines and constant monitoring, both electronic and in person. This was why my oncologist insisted on disability in the first place. Oh, well, if this experience taught me anything, it’s that I want to travel while I can, and I need money for it. So, back to work!

DebAl, I am going to see an integrative physician on Thursday, will be great to compare the notes