Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• It is so good to see you all doing good. I feel so grateful to have known you guys as we went through this. And frankly I wish I was online more and reading these messages than hiding in a hole that I did for the last week. For one I kept on waiting for the Xeloda SEs which haven't hit yet. Then I heard its cumulative, so maybe around end of Week 2. Also, now that my energy levels are back and I kind of look like myself, I get scared of what now.

It started out well, I have been running around with my kid, taking her to the park, looking at houses, sorting out things, getting my CV updated and then it creeps in. Whenever I feel like myself, the old me, I remember that the sneaky bastard was in me and I had no clue. Anyways, I think I am out of that funk.... for now.

Urdrago, thats a beautiful winter pic. Energy wise, you will feel a bit low at certain times in a day but then when you dont you almost feel like old times, if that makes sense. My skin is peeling and there is new skin underneath. I am still using a pad on the nipple as its quite sensitive.

Hairtalk, looove the hair pics. Urdrago, beautiful hair color. Life and DebAl, you guys look like its an intentional hair do. Very modern. I recently had a lady compliment me on my hairstyle. She said she loved how it brings out all the features on your face and she loved how iteresting and different it looked in a good way ( her daughter has just shaved her head and she was loving her daughter's new hair style). Anyways, it felt good. InnaB, I was rocking the duckling look on 18 th of Oct and below is a pic from 18th Nov. The hair took off in that month. Take care everyone

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Life, you look awesome! I can't wait to be where you and DebAL are with hair. Super jealous!

Urdrago, I laughed about the "color in your face" comments. The first thing half of my coworkers said when I went back to work after my surgery last week was "you look so good, you have color back in your face." I always felt I looked sort of gray during chemo, apparently I was, lol. It makes sense since I was super anemic. I am sure it is so hard to keep plugging along with treatment, especially rads since you go every day. It must seem like you've been there a million times and still have more to go. Once you get through rads, you'll be on the downside and headed toward the finish line, though. Hang in there (and stay warm!).

DebAL, I'm trying meditation, too. So far it's hit and miss. I do it one day, then don't get back to it for several days. There just isn't enough time in the day for all the things I want to do (like the treadmill). Thanks for the integrative medicine info. What? 6-8 cruciferous veggies/day? Ha! I'm unlikely to get that many in a week. I also need to learn the difference in foods (Ie: organic vs natural, etc). I'm eating organic fruits/veggies now and cage-free (sometimes also organic) eggs.and natural or organic meat. I'm still getting nowhere near the fruit/veggie servings per day, though.

InnaB, good luck going back to work. That will be a big adjustment after being off for half the year. But, traveling is worth it!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Frog, love your picture! That’s a lot of hair in one month! I’ll keep my fingers crossed then. Just curious, why did your oncologist put you on Xeloda? Did you have any affected nodes? My tumor was bigger than yours and also Grade 3, plus macromet in one node, but my oncologist didn’t mention another chemo at all...

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

InnaB, I can answer why I will be taking oral pill Xeloda.. bcuz the tumor removed during surgery was larger than 1cm. Xeloda is to reduce the precentage of risk. I will let Frog answer for herself

Frog, I was thinking about you and hoping u wld be chiming in soon. Your hair has gotten so long and thick.im jealous! Do you celebrate thanksgiving at the same time U.S. does?

Here's a good analogy how truly hard our days are and have been going thru cancer.

https://butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by...

Cyber hugs..

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

You all look great!! Urdrago hang in there with the rads. I think it goes kind of quickly because every week you can check off another FIVE. Inna I’d hold off on the irestore too. I’ve been following the thread where they got the discount but I definitely wouldn’t get one unless/until I actually see some thinning. Frog your hair looks great—how’s the house hunting going?

I had another Herceptin today and snapped this. I’m 17-1/2 weeks PFC and my hair is getting long enough to start curling up and look silly. It’s not long enough for any product yet—not sure what I can do with it other than go with the flow.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

hi everyone,

InnaB please let me know how your integrative appt goes tomorrow! Did you have a long history form to fill out too?

Frog you are stunning! As time goes on I do think people mean it when they compliment. So we need to learn to accept them. My intentional doo is getting out of control at times. I use a taffy type gel that helps. Just letting it do its thing.

GAW, that many veggies is tough for me too. May take urdragos tip on juicing.

Ingerp, beautiful! Your color is so pretty and yes I see the beginning of the " bending" of the hair. Curls to follow!

Urdrago..I just saw your link and will read. Hope you all have a good night

• gawarrior

Frog and Ingerp, you both look beautiful! I'm jealous of your hair - looks like a cute, stylish pixie cut.

Frog, it's good to know that your hair grew so much in a month - I can set my sights on having decent hair by Christmas. I'm glad you're doing well with Xeloda. Yes, it's hard not to worry about "what now" when we were all blindsided by our diagnosis. I know I don't trust myself anymore to know that something is wrong after this. But, as you get focused on your normal life, you won't think of this a million times a day - just half a million, lol.

Urdrago, that was an interesting article. The spoon analogy is spot on for when we were going through treatment. I still feel like I'm missing a few spoons some days. Thanks for sharing.

InnaB, let us know what your integrative doc says tomorrow!

• gawarrior

FYI, someone in my surgery group posted that the YMCA has a free, 12-week Livestrong program for cancer survivors. I checked with mine - it does not participate in that program, but offers one through the hospital system where I had my BMX. Just thought you all might want to check it out at your local Y. It looks like they all have some type of cancer survivor program (most of them seem to be free, but you'll have to ask).

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Well Hello Frog! You look great!

Went to the oncologist on Monday. He said my liver ultrasound came back unremarkable. He's going to give it a couple more months and then read the blood test again. We went through my checklist he said most of my ailments probably have been caused by chemo and radiation. He said it is going to take awhile for my body to readjust and heal. He is going to do a bone scan because I pointed out to him that I'm on Anastrozole and he has never done a baseline to keep track of how well my bones are handling it. Also setting me up for my next zometa infusion on the 12th and my mammogram on my left breast. I havr to wait 6 months before I could have my right breast checked as it would show nothing but radiation burn. I also get to do my first colonoscopy. Let me tell you ladies and gents I'm so not looking forward to that!!

I have been struggling because this is about the time of year that they discovered my cancer. It was December 28th. I feel like there are events that are happening in my life that are similar to what happened last year. Nothing medical just different events that I was doing that led up to December 28th. My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer a week before we discovered mine. He got a clean CT scan last week which was such a relief. It also made me realize that I just need to stop looking at every little event in my life the way I have been.

We are so super slammed at work that I am just coming home exhausted. That is also be because I'm still not sleeping. I told the oncologist I was waking up in pain. I asked him if it could be the anastrozole and he told me that most likely my body was just trying to work through the chemo treatments and radiation.

Really enjoying seeing all these photos of you lovely ladies out there! Beautiful pictures! Love the color of your hair Duffy! A little jealous over here because I'm soooo dark!

Well there's a ton of things that need to be done tonight because tonight is my night off from my cleaning job so I'm going to get started on some of it.

Hope you all have a wonderful week! Happy Hump Day!

Huggs

• urdrago71

Life , that is good news to hear that ur liver looks unremarkable. And ur dad got amazing news ..time for celebrations.

I do have a question for everyone; after chemo surgery did ur MO re evaluate ur stage? I had a meeting with a survior nurse that talks about ur over all plan completed and what to expect moving forward. She brought up my new staging 1A. I never heard it prior to tonight. Just another question for team of doctors as I was caught off guard.

Sending good vibes !

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi everybody,

Hope you are all doing well.

Urdrago: We had a very nice time in Chicago. We missed the big storm by one day :) Janice cooked a great turkey for Thanksgiving, as usual. I'll post her mom's secret recipe, if you all would like it. It was a very nice visit with our son and his girlfriend.

• ingerp

urdrago--I do remember having to ask my BS what my stage turned out to be after surgery. It seems like us patients focus on it more than the doctors do? Maybe that's not the case, but going into surgery they thought I was a Stage 1 and at a follow-up appt he didn't bring up the final staging so I asked.

• urdrago71

Engine, I would love the recipe. Glad to hear you made it out before everything was shut down in Chicago.

Ingrep, dis u update you signature to reflect the change in staging? I wonder if others on thos forum do the something..hmmm

Well this morning i can notice a slight sun tan from rads. I'll have to layout next summer to balance out the color on each side..lol honestly, other than cording slightly tighter things are going good.

Happy Thursday..

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Ingerp - I really wish I'd done the photos at every Herceptin. Great way to see the hair growth.

Urdrago - at my 1 month post radiation my RO comment that my breast just looked a little tan. Honestly I don't notice a difference in color. My armpit had the worst of the burning but I think it helped with my scar from the node removal because it is difficult to see now.

Life - Glad to hear your liver ultrasound was "unremarkable". One less thing to worry about for you. As for the colonscopy did your MO agree on the timing. I can remember the last time I had chemo my MO didn't want me to have my pap during a certain timeframe following chemo for fear I get a false positive. I would assume there are risks for that with colonoscopy as well. I'm due for my 2nd colonoscopy because I had my first at 45 due to my previous cancer and in that one they found precancerous polyps. Honestly at this point I told my GP I think I need a break from cancer screenings because I'm not sure I'd agree to chemo for a third time. Maybe I'll feel differently after I'm finished with the SEs from this time.

Speaking of SEs is anyone still dealing with nail issues from the Taxotere. I have 5 nails that still have about 4-6 weeks left of growth before I'm past the damaged area. It's a pain because even keeping them short and polished they break and then catch on everything.

Engine - glad to hear you and Janice avoided the storm. We unfortunately didn't get to see son this year for Thanksgiving and I have my fingers crossed that winter weather cooperates so that we can all be together in Florida for Christmas.

• Engine104

Duffyzmom: I'm sorry you and your son were not able to see your son for Thanksgiving. I hope you will all be together for Christmas.

Here is the famous turkey recipe from a family cookbook Janice did a few years ago... The secret is cooking it upside down in a brown paper bag. It is amazing and always moist.

• ingerp

Urdrago—I didn’t change it because it was the same as before the surgery. Maybe the doctors only make a point to tell you if it changes?

And yes—still nail issues here. Getting close to where they should all look normal but I just keep them short and put polish on them. I figure I’m saving money as long as I keep doing them myself. :-)

• urdrago71

Engine & Janice thank you for sharing. Who would of thought to place turkey in a brown paper bag. I cant wait to try the recipe. I love the cookbook layout prefect memory.

Duffy, we'll need a vacation with plenty of sun to balance out our new looks..giggle..

• life1963

Undergo That is great about no side effects from Rads! I never got a new stage but after surgery they up the size of the tumour from 2 to 3.

Engine Thanks for sharring the family secret! I am going to try it out!

Duffy He has a list of things he wants done. I pretty much have something going on all month ever week. That's okay though cuz I want to get it all done before my out-of-pocket expense kicks in again. Yes my nails are still struggling. They grow long but have lots of lines through them.

So I drove to Denver the other day for my appointment and arm where I've had the surgery and radiation has been hurting so bad ever since. I have been wearing my sleeve, and working on my machine that they gave me to wear and it just hurts. I can't take anything for it and where it hurts is were the two incisions are so I don't dare put any kind of Biofreeze or anything on like that. Really hope this pain goes away very soon!

Well one of my favorite game show is on. "CASH CAB" The other one is "Famiy Fued" I get so crazy on that the dogs go hide. That and football. They go hide when I watch football too. LOL

HUGGS to you all!!

• life1963

This is me wearing my machine but I can't remember what the heck it's called. It's supposed to help move the fluid through my body so that my arm doesn't develop lymphedema. I'm lifting my arm up to wave. LOL

I was going ask if any of you ladies are experiencing foggy brain? I am still struggling, especially when I'm tired. I find that if I am put at the center of attention I really struggle. Believe me, I never had that problem before. I lose my words, I lose my train of thought and I forget what I'm doing or saying. The doctor said it's probably just chemo fog and it's going to take a while to go away. Really hope it does.

• life1963

This is me wearing my machine (I call it my Michelin Man suit) I can't remember what the heck it's called. It's supposed to help move the fluid through my body so that my arm doesn't develop lymphedema. I'm lifting my arm up to wave. LOL

I was going ask if any of you ladies are experiencing foggy brain? I am still struggling, especially when I'm tired. I find that if I am put at the center of attention I really struggle. Believe me, I never had that problem before. I lose my words, I lose my train of thought and I forget what I'm doing or saying. The doctor said it's probably just chemo fog and it's going to take a while to go away. Really hope it does.

• urdrago71

Life, thats what heck of a suit. Will you have to use that forever or limited time? I had PT and so far no lymphedema just cording..grrr .. i have foggy brain as well lose my train of thought forget what I was going in the other room for or typing and my sentences are broken. Forget someone has told me something, and then as they repeat I recall them telling me already. I think my forgetfulness is getting better.. but it also drives me crazy bcuz I never been like that. I wasn't a sticky note person. My coworkers hate I can recall stuff without notes..now, I've started writing more down.. I will keep my fingers crossed no issues from Rads. There's a few that are just starting to have problems snd their half way thru.

Sending hugs, & good vibes..

• duffyzmom

Life - yes I'm still battling chemo brain (fog) since I'm also battling SAD right now I'm going to get my happy light out and see if maybe that helps some. Chemo brain and Depressed brain are very similar. I lose train of thought easily even though I feel like my brain is running nonstop.

Urdrago - I guess we need to look for a good European beach for our vacation ;-)

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

Hi All, I thought I had finally better check in again before it was assumed that I had vanished.  I took time off from cancer thoughts to focus on preparing for the family all traveling in for Thanksgiving. The pictures of all of you are great!  Even though I cold-capped, I had to cut my thin, scraggly remaining hair so short that it's not much longer than some of yours. I've never had short hair before and the most startling aspect is how cold the back of my neck gets. Ingerp, my hair was straight and now it is chemocurls, or rather chemowaves. I'm just happy to have hair so I will let it do whatever it wants. 

Engine, my mother-in-law always cooked turkey in a brown paper bag. Until I tried hers, which was very moist and flavorful, I thought all turkey was extremely dry; shall we say sawdust! Then the food police chimed in on the use of grocery bags for cooking.  My mother-in-law continued to use her brown bags, though.

DebAL, what did you decide about further revision surgery?  I think the rippling is getting worse as my implants settle in more.

I warned family that I still have chemo brainfog.  Word retrieval is still noticeable to me.  I'll be talking and just can't come up with the specific word that I wanted.  Luckily, I'm never at a loss for words so I can always find a substitute, but it is still annoying. Also, my hubby now describes me as being "scatterbrained", which I certainly never was before.

Reading through all these posts, one of you spent Thanksgiving in Indiana. We're in the Indianapolis area, though we've only lived here about 18 months. 

I'll have to read through these posts to get caught up on everyone. To all of you going through rads or waiting on test results, I wish you the best of outcomes. 

• debal

hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing the recipe engine!

I'm having a few issues with nails again. They were looking good for awhile but I believe it goes in cycles. A couple of weeks ago I went to put on mascara but barely any eyelashes on my left eye lol. This too shall pass

LIFE, I seriously love your attitude. Your suit also reminds me of the robot in that lost in space show from my childhood! I sure hope it helps you. You hit the nail on the head about memory and being the center of attention. I'm a nurse in a very busy preop area. Being in charge is like an air traffic controller in the medical profession. People at the desk, phone rings non stop, patients, families, anesthesia,surgeons ,19 OR rooms. I still do well but not like I used to with all of the stimulation. Waay too much going on. I can multitask 3-4 things but not 8+ issues at once like i used to. I know people may have to repeat things to us but we really need to ask ourselves ....were really listening in the first place? Probably not! We are just fine! lol

Hi maggie. Good to hear from you. yes having just fat grafting above non cancer breast for a dent on 12/20 Also more rippling as things have settled but mainly when I bend down. I could live without the 2nd grafting but PS says easy fix, not near like last time..so he says. I was diagnosed in January so all treatments fell in this calendar year for deductible. I'll just see this through.

I wasnt kidding about making a change. Today was debbie day lol. Took breakfast to a friend that just had surgery, got on my treadmill, on to yoga, shopped for an hour then accupuncture. Then I napped. Dont feel the least bit guilty. I'm over that.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend and that you make time to do something for yourself. Because if you wont, I will!! Hugs.Take care, deb

• duffyzmom

Maggie - bummer we could have meet. My mom is in Fishers and in-laws are in Greenfield.

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

Duffyzmom, we live in Fishers!! Next time you’re visiting, let me know.

Deb, I’ve had a longer recovery from the implant surgery so my PS won’t even consider any further work til Jan or Feb. We’ll see then if I have any revision work. Given the level of stress and responsibility of your job, I’m in awe that you’re back at work so soon. You’ve certainly managed chemo brain with great success

• ingerp

I just posted this over on the Weekly Taxol thread but thought I’d ask you guys too.

Eyelash question. I think mine have been fairly typical in that I had really short ones growing in before I fully lost my original lashes. I also know a lot of women go through several cycles of losing and re-growing their lashes. I'm 18 weeks PFC and my lashes have come back but are not nearly as long as they used to be. Do I just need to be more patient? Anybody else have lashes come back but never get as long as they were pre-chemo?

• debal

morning all! Duffy and Maggie, you guys definitely need to meet. GAW and I yacked like we knew each other forever! We all have the same connection. You honestly dont know when paths may cross.

Thanks for your kind words maggie. I've tried. I struggled with backing down from a position I loved but knew was just not good for my overall health. Coworkers so supportive and appreciative, I'm still a resource for them. I feel like my mind was in a bee hive after chemo is the best I can describe it. I surrender. Waved the white flag. I go back to the biggest take away from integrative appt..."fight or flight mode is for emergencies only" We should not be living our daily lives in that state. And I was for 8 hrs a day which left me for no reserve when I got home. I hope your recovery is going well. Things definitely keep settling dont they?

InnaB, how did your integrative appt go?

Ingerp, let us know if you get response from the other thread about the eyelashes. Maybe those that are out of chemo alot longer than us will chime in. Right now I'd say mine are shorter than before. Nails acting funky now too so I think I'm in one of those 'cycles'.

Beautiful day here today. Going to the zoo to see Christmas lights this evening. Hope everyone has a great Sunday. Deb

• life1963

Undrago. The machine is mine to keep. They told me I would benefit the best if I did it every day or at least every other day. When the gal dropped off the machine and showed me how to use it she also showed me a stretch to help with cording. It helps a lot. You stand by a wall and put your hand on the wall and put a little pressure on it while you're feeling the stretch. I usually count to 20, then you change the position of the hand toward the right keeping the fingers and hand stretched and then count to 20 and do that on your left. Now I don't even know if that makes sense what I just typed that's the best way I can describe it and I can't figure out how to take a picture to show you. LOL

Deb I agree we are all okay in our own little worlds! The next time somebody gives me s*** about saying the wrong word, not making sense or making up my own words, I'm just going to look at them and say you are slacking and just need to keep up with me! 😂

Ingerp Yes! When my eyelashes first came back shortly after they fell out they came back long and beautiful. I was so excited that I finally had really long beautiful eyelashes for the first time ever! However slowly but surely those long eyelashes are falling out and being replaced with little stubbles. Just the other day I found five of them on my face. How is Anastrozole treating you?

Okay ladies/gent I FINALLY decided to break down and take something for my lack of sleep. I chose to take a half of A lorazepam. At first I didn't like the feeling but once I got past that I was COMPLETLY relaxed! I slept so good last night and I am so relaxed today. Now I'm having to ask myself why did I stress so bad about taking that during chemo and radiation? I'm such a wimp when it comes to pills. I'm slowly but surely starting to learn that every once in awhile you just need a little help.

Well today I think I'm going to tackle the Christmas tree. I always like to decorate my house. I've been kind of lazy about it these last couple years so I just decided I was going to do it today. After all it's cold and nasty and there's football to be watched!

Hugs to each and everyone of you! Have a wonderful rest of your weekend.

• Engine104

Hi DebAl,

Janice is in a similar thing here. Her job is super stressful and a lot of pressure. I was hoping it would have changed while she was off, but it is worse, actually. I wish we could do something about that. I just don't know what to do. Her job pays really well and we need her salary right now. I don't think, even if I took on a second job, that I could match it. This isn't good for her, though :(