Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• Hello ladies and Engine😀,

Good to see everyone getting back to living. What a year this has been. Glad its coming to an end and very happy that we are getting out of the chemo funk. I have major issues with finding words, I am a big chatterbox, and I used to pride myself with my huge vocabulary as I am not a native English speaker. I find myself searching for proper words multiple times in a conversation. Also, my concentration sucks. I have noticed that since June maybe, but I assumed that was because I was overwhelmed with the diagnosis and treatment. 😬.

Urdrago, NZ doesnt celebrate Thanksgiving. We had our annual Santa Parade and my kid met Santa and asked him to make it snow in Auckland on Christmas eve as she has seen in all the movies and rhymes. Poor Santa🤣... lets see him do that. Christmas here is barbeques, shorts and beaches. I think I will have to miss out on all the beach activities as my skin has become super sensitive to sun on Xeloda. None of the other SEs are bothering me much, yet. Anyways we are never in NZ for Christmas. Thats the time for our annual trip to visit family and friends. And my MO okayed me for the trip as Xeloda is pills and I can continue while holidaying with family.

Ingerp, thats a lovely pic, you look great. We are still house hunting. Like one a lot, lets see. Also, yes my nails are more rounded but are getting flatter as new nails come in. My nails now have this yellow tinge almost like how it looks after you take off a dark nailpaint. My lashes and eyebrows are slooooow. But my hair has started to curl, its like a wave now. I am super excited about that as I had really straight hair, I have never owned a straightner in my life.

GA Warrior, how did your operation go?

Urdrago, InnaB take rest when you feel like. I underestimated the fatigue that rads can lead to. Wishing everyone a beautiful Dec and happy shopping

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

I agree with Frog. Radiation zaps the shit out of you!

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Grrrr. Thats not making me smile!! Currently Im breaking out in a rash at my collarbone. MO's nurse handed me radiplex gel and said slather all weekend. I did and still have a rash non-ichy. Scared that this is going to blister. I have engery just enuff to get thru my days. Im 17 of 33 rads done.

Frog , so happy that your doing well under the circumstances. Ur on Xeloda, how are the SE's ? I probably will begin in Jan. If u want snow come visit me here in a month..lol. tell your daughter not sure if Santa will make it snow here on Xmas. Hope you get the house !!

Cyber Hugs..

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Urdrago - sorry to hear about the rash - I used a cortisone with aloe cream when I developed an itchy rash with radiation. It seemed to help.

Frog - sounds like a perfect Christmas to me. We actually fly to Florida this weekend for 2 weeks of warmth.

Life - Yes, strangely enough yesterday marked the 8th anniversary of my previous last chemo.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

I had the brownish nails too--mostly gone, but I still have a few nails that are more white-ish at the end (mostly the thumbnails), where I think the nail is not actually attached to the nail bed. I'm mostly keeping them covered with polish--same with toe nails (which I'm trying not to think about).

We got a foot of snow yesterday--lovely to look at and everything is closed here except, teleworker that I am, I'm still on the clock. :-(

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Hi All, I'm playing catch-up. I did not have my mohs surgery after all... Got a call at 3:00am the morning before (Thurs) saying my 35 year old son was being airlifted for emergency open heart surgery.

He's in Colorado, I'm in Atlanta but I actually managed to get to the hospital in Colorado by 10 am. He had an aortic aneurysm, with an aortic dissection (tear). He was extremely lucky that the tear was confined to inside the aneurysm and the aorta hadn't completely ruptured. (An aortic dissection is what killed John Ritter and, more recently, Alan Thicke.)

He'd initially been taken to the ER by his boss because he wasn't making sense and had a headache. They did a CT scan, which found something in his brain, but the dissection took precedence. He was in ICU until late yesterday, now is in the cardiac unit.

Today they did an MRI to check his brain... Turns out he has also had a stroke (that was the reason he wasn't making sense at work). We'll find out more from the neurologist tomorrow.

The good news is that he doesn't have any residual effects from the stroke. More good news is that I am healthy enough to stay here to care for him for the first weeks after he gets discharged. What if this was during chemo or just after (or right before) my surgery?

Anyhow, thanks for letting me vent. I thought I'd been through a lot, but this kid has so much more on his plate. It just reinforces that we need to live each day to the fullest, tell people you care about them, hug your spouse/SO/kids and don't put off doing the things you want to do. Tomorrow is never guaranteed.

• life1963

Gawarrier how scary!! So glad to hear he is doing a little better. Are you in the Denver area right now? I'm so glad that you get to stay with him and take care of him. My prayers are going out to you and your family for a speedy, healthy recovery.

Huggs your way!

• ingerp

Oh GAWarrior--sending all good thoughts out west. How very scary for you. So glad you were able to get out there quickly and that you can stay for a while.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

GAWarrior, this is horrible news. I’ll be thinking of your son and sending good wishes your way. I know cardiac issues take precedence, but don’t take the stroke lightly either, even if there are no aftereffects. It’s great you can take care of him. Stay strong!

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Wow! GAWarrior what a blessing that your son's boss was looking out for him. I'm so glad to hear the outlook is good and you are able to stay with him for some of his recovery. I'm sure that will be a comfort to you.

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

GAWarrior, I am adding my prayers to all the others for a speedy, very smooth recovery for your son.  I can't even imagine the shock of getting that phone call at 3 am. 

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Dear GAWarrior,

I'm glad they caught it in time. Adding him to my prayers. I'm glad to hear that he is doing better. The actress, Sharon Stone, had that happen a few years ago. She is fine now.

• MeganB
    MeganB Member Posts: 2

InnaB,, I'm 45, stage 1B, grade 2, ER/PR+, HER2-, with a micromet in one lymph node and extensive lymphovascular invasion, and my oncologist is going with the Oncotype DX---my score was low intermediate of 16. We had the choice to do chemo or not, and we decided to because of the LVI. I am about to finish 4 rounds of TC--my oncologist said this chemo would be more effective than AC. I'm starting radiation and then AI's, and have been on Lupron since a month after my BMX in September. It's interesting how different oncologists treat the diagnosis---we got 4 opinions, and 2 oncologists said definitely chemo, and 2 said we could skip it. I have no regrets choosing it though.

• Hi Robin,

Good to know that its all under control and you can stay back and take care of him. Cannot imagine the week you have had. Wishing him a speedy recovery. Hugs to you

• urdrago71

Gawarrior, praying for you and givin you all my strength to keep you both strong as you go day by day through this new journey. If you need to vent Im here for you.

Cyber hugs

• gawarrior

Thanks for all your prayers and good wishes! Life, we're in Colorado Springs (I used to live here and my kids were raised here). Engine, I didn't know that about Sharon Stone.

The neurologist says the stroke happened because they shut his heart down during surgery and rerouted his blood through a pump. Sometimes that can create a blood clot, leading to a stroke. It was in an area of the brain that shouldn't affect him.

He's had some new swelling and pain today so we'll see what the tests say. I'll keep you posted.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

Robin, I've been thinking of you and your family. I hope each day get a little bit better. It truly is day by day if not hour by hour at times. I hope you are taking care of yourself as best you can under the circumstances.

Not surprisingly, here you are, thankful to be healthy. Thankful to be in a position to care for your son. Finding something positive. Like you said, you could have been in the middle of chemo or recovering from surgery yourself. When we met I could tell instantly what a special person you are. There is no doubt your presence by his side is making all the difference in the world for his recovery. We are all keeping you close. Hugs, Deb

• urdrago71

Gawarrior, so thankful your healthy and cld be by his side. So I had to re-read ur first post. Is the swelling in his head or is it his heart? You probably see the doctors daily with q& a. Make sure you write all ur questions down bcuz there so much coming at you. Also u have to take care of your self as well, make sure your drinking and eating. Do you have family in Colorado with you as well? I bet its hard to be on this side waiting. Continuing to pray for you both.

Cyber hugs...

• linda2119
    linda2119 Member Posts: 60

Hi, GAWarrior - so sorry to hear about your son. I'm in Colorado Springs and totally available for whatever support you need - I can bring you a dinner, meet you for a break, whatever. I'll PM you my cell # - please do not hesitate to reach out to me!

Linda

• Engine104

Hi everyone,

Praying that GAWarrior's son is doing better. If anyone has any updates, please post.

Janice had her 3-month oncologist appointment today. All is well. Her counts are mostly within normal levels. The darn incision is still draining, though. She's going to make an appointment with her surgeon again in January.

Hope you all are having a blessed holiday season.

• InnaB2018

Engine, did anybody suggest hyperbaric oxygen therapy to Janice? It’s supposed to help with healing.

GAWarrior, you and your son are in my prayers.

• Engine104

Hi InnaB,

Nope, but then our insurance carrier is a large HMO and they generally are pretty unwilling to go outside what is normally part of a "standard" treatment plan, whatever that is.... When we asked them about cold-capping they said they allow it, but it would be on our dime at a rate of about $1,500 a session, I think.

• gawarrior

Hi all,

Thanks for your prayers and good wishes!

Bryce had a second surgery yesterday. Initially, it was to clean things up (swelling above his incision (2 hematomas), fluid in his lungs and chest, removing a pacemaker wire that was put in in case his heart rhthym whacked out, etc). Turns out that he had refractured his sternum, which had been cut during surgery so they could access his heart. No wonder his pain level wasn't coming down much.

He now has a permanent titanium plate in his chest. My sister told him he's slowly becoming a Borg (Star Trek) - he says he's a bionic man, lol. His sense of humor is back, at least! I feel like he's finally turned the corner and can heal.

I'm lucky to have family and friends in the Colorado Springs area, since I used to live here. DD has been here, too (from Tampa). Thanks for your info, Linda2119! I'd love to meet if we can work it out.

Engine, glad Janice is doing well and that they are finally going to check out her incision.

• Engine104

Hi GAWarrior,

Thanks so much for the update. I pray for an easy and complete healing for your son.

When we last saw the surgeon a few months ago, he said, "Let's give it until January. Hopefully, it will heal on it's own by then." It hasn't, though it is less than before on most days. I think the only option if it doesn't heal on it's own is to do more surgery, which means a drain, etc. We'll see.

• InnaB2018

Engine, cold capping is elective, no insurance covers it, but oxygen therapy is standard for wound healing. You can definitely ask. Good luck!

GAWarrior, happy to hear your good news! Speedy recovery to Bryce

• Engine104

Hi InnaB,

It wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks. I am planning on going with Janice to the appointment in January. I'll write it down so I don't forget to ask.

• life1963

Gawarrier such good news to hear! Wish I was closer. I would love to try to see you as well. As you know, traveling at this time of the year you never know what kind of weather you're going to be up against with a blink of an eye. Perhaps when you are there to visit again, when things aren't so hectic, I can make the trip to meet you.

Huggs

• urdrago71

Gawarrior, thanks for keeping us posted. Sending healing prayers..

Good vibes

• ingerp

Good news, GAW. Continue to update us on how he's doing. (And I love the sense of humor!!)

• life1963

Undrago Love your picture you have changed up too!