Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Thank you GaWarrier. I was wondering. She posted that she found the out when she got back from vacation that's what it was. Right. Now I remember!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Urdrago, doing a happy dance for you!

Duffy, good luck with your surgery!

My exchange and ovary removal surgery is scheduled for May 22. Yesterday was my one year “anniversary” of being diagnosed. Was sleepwalking the whole day. Remembered exactly what I was doing every hour of that day a year ago. Horrible feeling. Woke up today and practiced Kundolini yoga. I’m all right now.

My radiation induced pneumonia is definitely getting better. I am back in my bed now! And finally stopped bandaging my arm at night! Now I just wear a sleeve and a glove during the day. Counting days to my vacation.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Good morning from sunny (okay only partly) Northern California!! Urdrago that is the *best* news. I bet a bunch of us have follow-up type appts coming up. I’ll have my first follow-up mammo April 23rd and check in with my RO in early May for the first time since finishing rads. I’m out here visiting two of my kids. I started this three years ago—I’d schedule a trip to visit my middle while my youngest was on spring break and I’d fly him down to meet us. They were super fun trips and they asked me if I was coming again this year. Wasn’t really planning on it but here I am. Youngest is working at the same company as middle—they even live together, and I’m in an Airbnb right down the street.

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Udrago - Did you hear me cheering? I was yelling YAY!!!!!!!! from shockingly warm Ortonville. I'm taking that as a sign that the Wolverine's will win tonight.

GAW - PS prescribed more Zofran but of course I didn't need to fill it I just grabbed my bag of leftovers from chemo. I'll try and remember to take one asap especially with the 2.5 hour car ride following surgery. Unfortunately the Macrobid allergy did not resolve itself. I ended up with an UTI a couple of years ago and Macrobid was the only pill that would fight it so I gave it another try. No luck. I ended up on IV antibiotics for 14days since I couldn't tolerate it. Thank goodness we also have Canadian healthcare coverage. Can you believe a nurse came to my apartment everyday to administer the RX? It was so nice.

Ingerp - what a nice break and isn't great when our adult children want to spend time with us? Daughter is here in Michigan (Lansing) so I usually stay with her after my Herceptin infusion. FYI only one more to go! I'm so excited. I think I'll even ring the bell this time.

LIFE - yes I'm a hot mess. ;-). Daughter actually convinced me to do the 23andMe because as she put it "mom your DNA is funky someone should really be researching it". Well technically I am a participant in the American Cancer Society Cancer prevention study so they have accessed both of my cancer tissues but what the hell. The more hands on the deck the better.

InnaB and anyone else I missed thanks for the well wishes.

• ingerp

Duffy I will definitely be ringing the bell—please do and take a picture to share with us. I’m so excited for you. A year really is a long time, isn’t it? (BTW—I have Michigan roots. I was born in Jackson while my parents were living with my grandparents and then we lived in Battle Creek for a number of years. I love the Midwest.

• duffyzmom

Thanks for all the well wishes. Safely back in Canada. Surgery went well - less than an hour in OR. Ultrasound and MRI were incorrect. Implant was not ruptured or leaking. PS thinks it was combination of valve location and scar tissue from lumpectomy and radiation. No fingers crossed Warranty will still cover procedure. I assume they will #1 because both MRI and Ultrasound concluded it was rupture and #2 they are already have a bunch of negative press with the Naterelle implant.

Off to nap and hopefully some good basketball (whatever Michigan played last night was something else. 😢)

• life1963

Duffy Well that is good news! Glad yo hear your safely tucked at home chillin. :)

I rang the bell. My co worker just finished his treatment for throat cancer. Tuff hall for sure. Surgery, 8 chemo and 39 Rads. Ended up having a feeding tube put in cuz losing to much weight. He got to ring the bell today. So happy for him that he is done and now can start healing.

Huggs!

• ingerp

Congratulations Life!!

• InnaB2018

Good news, Life and Duffy! Happy for you!

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

InnaB, glad you are healing. I hope your vacation comes quickly and passes slowly. :)

Ingerp, I KNOW you're enjoying your vacation with your kiddos. :)

Duffy, how are you doing? I'm glad it was "nothing." Hoping you're already up and about (with no nausea!). Ugh about the allergy to antibiotics. I hope that (allergies) isn't something we have to contend with now, on top of everything else. Hey - I started back to running again yesterday. I was telling my hubby that you, me, DebAL and any other runners in this group should pick a race somewhere to train for this fall, then we should meet and run it together (10k or half marathon)...everyone else could come to cheer us on. Party!

Urdrago, how are you doing on the Xeloda this time?

Life, congrats on ringing the bell (to you and your co-worker).

Happy April everyone!

• duffyzmom

GAWarrior - Count me in! I'm hoping to be back out running by 6 weeks post exchange (does that sound about right to you?). I'm off the Norco and just using Tylenol now. It is mostly the incision site that is sore and mostly my left breast. I told hubby I think leftie is saucy because right keeps getting him into bad situations ;-) I'm trying not to think about what MO is going to want since PS says there was no leak. Another MRI? Biopsy? Breast is too sore for me palpate to see if the lump is still there. I can see bruising in the area so I know PS dug around in that area.

It's my birthday month so I'm already looking forward to my hot guy birthday greeting.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Congrats InnaB, you look fab with your entourage.

Congrats, GAWarrior, Duffyzmomand InnaB on your surgeries and putting it behind you.

Urdrago, hugs to you. So happy for you.

I went through a very overwhelming last 2 weeks. Last year's diagnosis dates and then went back last week for yearly US and Mammogram. Followed by the visit with BS. I was such a wreck. It was the same clinic, and the dates were apart by a day from last year. I kept on going through that day last year and tearing up. I am one of those people who associate memories with dates. I remember exactly how things had happenned, the whole sequence of it. Ughghgh.... Last year they gave me a file to carry to the BS, this year I got a single sheet for a report with two smiley faces on them, one for each breast.😀😀.

On cycle 7 for Xeloda. Quite tired. Have some ongoing pains and aches. I dont know how you guys kept working through last year. Have started dropping things again, I might have mentioned this before. So MO has asked to stop Xeloda whenever I feel like. I am trying to push myself through it. Also, I cannot sleep until maybe 2 am, so am groggy and grumpy the whole day. I am hoping things will change once I am done with Xeloda. Its quite strong. I dont know why I thought that it will be easy since its pills. Its easier than AC and Taxol, no doubt about that. But still

Ingerp, how was the vacation? Hope everyone is having a good week.

• gawarrior

Duffy, I got my sutures out a week ago today (4 weeks post op) and the PS said I could start light stretches. He told me I could do whatever I wanted "without restrictions" starting 6 weeks post surgery. Hoping the PS dug out whatever the MO was wondering about. I know mine said he revised my original scars and "cleaned them up" so maybe the PS did that for yours? What day is your birthday this month?

Frog, I'm so sorry you are tired and grumpy. You have a right to be. This stuff is super rough on us - I am only finding out some things now as they come up. I know what you mean about anniversaries - I do that, too (relive them). I was surprised that my diagnosis date passed without a tear shed this year, but the actual date isn't set in stone for me so maybe that's why. First, I was VERY sure of the diagnosis by what the radiologist said on the day of my biopsy. Then, I read the pathology report that said "carcinoma of the right breast" because someone dropped it into my online records - before I was given the official diagnosis, which came 2 days later. So it's all sort of nebulous for me. Chemo? That's another story - started that on 4/20 and I think that's going to be a teary day (just thinking of AC literally makes me queasy). Hang in there! You are almost done with Xeloda! It's good that you can stop if you feel the need, but I totally understand the desire to push through it. Big hugs to you!

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

aww, ladies so much is going on I need to sit down and read everything. Grandbabies have RSV, my oldest two kids cousin past away over the weekend in motorcycle crash..

Duffy when is ur birthday??

Love ya all cyber hugs

• gawarrior

Urdrago, I am so sorry to hear about your kid's cousin. What devastating news for your family. Hoping the grandbabies feel better soon. How are you doing with this new way of taking Xeloda? Sending peaceful vibes and hugs to you and your family...

• InnaB2018

Oh, Urdrago, I am so sorry! My deepest condolences to your family.

Hope your grand babies fell better soon!

• ingerp

Hooray for the highs and boo on the lows.

Had a fun few days in CA. Fairly low-key--hit a few wineries, played some board games, watched some basketball. In fact, I signed up to go to a cancer survivors weekend this weekend and people are asking how we're going to watch the UVA game on Saturday. :-)

I am happy to be on to April (even if it was 36 degrees when I drove home from the airport last night--really Central Virginia??). Most important to me is that it's the month before the month I finish Herceptin. I remember thinking last summer that a year of it won't be so bad--just every three weeks, just one half-hour infusion, but in hindsight this has been. . . not fun. No awful SEs, (although, as I told my MO, definitely not none), not a huge schedule interruption, but I am SO LOOKING FORWARD TO BEING FINISHED WITH ACTIVE TREATMENT. I've been reading on BCO about how many women almost have a harder time once treatment is over--like PTSD setting in after you finally get home safe and sound. It'll be interesting to see where my brain/emotions go after I'm done, but I really cannot wait. I have one this Friday, and then two more, so six weeks. Getting closer. . .

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

hi everyone. A year has passed and April is here. I think of all of you often as we move forward. I've been away for a bit and need to catch up as well. Forgive me for not being caught up. Without going in to details..minor "almost " car accident- seatbelt caught me thankfully but burning implant had me concerned, daughter moving out, passing of a close family friend from bc,, close friend with a reccurance after 25 years, and settling in new job. It's been tough but at the same time it's not been all bad. Got away for a few days to Florida about a month ago and met up with a friend I met on another thread. The 4 of us had breakfast in southbeach and the time went too fast. We had a great time.

Sending healing wishes to everyone and please know I think of you all often. Hugs. Deb

• ingerp

Aw Deb--hope all is okay this lovely spring day.

• duffyzmom

Deb - that's a lot to process. I'm glad you were able to connect with some others going through this.

Urdrago - awful to hear of your kids' cousin passing away. Motorcycle season is always terrifying. Hubby used to say he was buying one and would ride it to son's high school graduation but he's lost multiple friends and work acquaintances so that dream ended, thankfully.

Ingerp - my apologies for the cold weather, I'm pretty sure we sent it your way. I thought it was just Mother Nature's way of taking care of me. She knew I'd be struggling with Dr's orders to take it easy following the implant exchange so she dumped a couple of inches of snow on us this weekend. Much easier to just lay around when April looks more like December.

I'm hoping to get out for a walk today. If it hits 45 degrees I'm heading outside. We left my car in Michigan following surgery so I've been pretty much trapped in apartment. Although my daughter says Mom its London Ontario you have uber and public transportation you are not trapped at home. 😂

My birthday is April 13th (not a Friday this year) and I may watch Aquaman that day as a gift to myself but please post a hottie anyway. Fun factoid about my immediate family (Husband, Daughter, Son and I) in nonleap years we celebrate our birthdays on the same day of the week. Son's birthday is in Feb so that's why it doesn't work that year. Sorry that kind of stuff brings the nerd out in me.

Anyone else participating in the Suncoast study? I received a giant envelope last time I was home requesting I participate in the study. It's called SCUSF 1102 "A Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Interventions to Enhance Utilization of Genetics Services Among Breast Cancer Services". Considering this is my 2nd cancer I'm all about the research and genetic connection. Interesting filling out the survey to see in print that Paternal Grandfather, Paternal Great Aunt and Paternal Uncle all passed from different types of cancer. Of course I've always said I was a daddy's girl but definitely looks like there is some connection. Even though I was BRCA negative one of my doctor's notes stated "Previous genetic testing showed a variant of uncertain significance." Not sure if I mentioned it previously but I'm waiting on 23andMe results so it will be interesting to see what shows up. I already passed color blindness to my son , hopefully that is the worst of it.

• ingerp

duffy--the week is looking up with 70 today and tomorrow. :-) And I'm a nerd and proud of it. If you start with my bday (Oct), then youngest's (Dec), and then middle (Feb), ours are on the same day of the week every year. And I'm always surprised that people are surprised I know the pattern of dates moving forward in the week in successive years (one day/year except for leap years, which is two days if the date is after Feb 29th). April is quite a birthday month in my family--one brother (7th), sister (15th), and DIL (17th). I hope you'll get a little something in your birthstone. ;-) I read not-great reviews of Aquaman--let us know what you think, but I tend to really like Marvel/super-hero movies. Re-watched Thor Ragnarok and Avengers Infinity War with the kids while I was in CA. Looking forward to Shazam in the near future.

• duffyzmom

Ingerp - Shazam looks so good. It will definitely be on our agenda in near future. And I'm not expecting much from Aquaman ( DC does nothing but let you down anyway) except for eye candy.

• InnaB2018

Aquaman wasn’t as good as I hoped, but Jason Momoa is simply gorgeous, so I still consider my money well spent by seeing this movie in a theater.

• ingerp

I'll definitely see it at some point. So much of movie (or anything!) enjoyment is how it compares to expectations going in. I'd read a so-so review of Captain Marvel and really enjoyed it!

• ingerp

This is a safe space, right? I mean the Jinx Rules don't apply, do they? I think my hair is growing back straighter. <insert that little monkey covering his mouth emoji> I have an app on my phone called Timehop--every day it shows you pictures/posts/. . . from that day one year ago, two years ago, . . . Every time I see a rare picture that includes me from before all this I get a little sad. Turns out I liked my old hair more than I ever thought I did. I've been reading what to me are horror stories about the chemo curls lasting 2-3 years or forever. I really really want my old hair to come back. So I think it's too early to tell (if you remember I cut it down to about 1/2" a couple of weeks ago), but it seems a little wackier lately because the hairs are sticking out from my head. Nothing a little product can't tame but it seems different to me from what was growing out a few months ago. I promised myself I wouldn't think about it <much> until I was a year PFC--this August, but maybe I'm starting a slow return to normal hair???

• gawarrior

IngerP, almost done with Herceptin, yay for you! Two more to go! And yes, look out for PTSD. All of a sudden no one seems to "care" anymore when you're not in active treatment. No scans, no bloodwork after the first normal results, they just ask how you are feeling at the 3 mo check ups... I sort of felt like I was kicked to the curb (that isn't true, but you can't help how you feel). I was relieved to be done, then disappointed to be done. It's all so very weird, but you'll see what I mean. Anyhow, I hope your hair IS returning to normal! I get it about the curls - I am naturally curly but, girl, I am POODLE curly right now. Not a fan. I am really thinking of cutting it super-pixie short again. I liked it better at the 4 month PFC mark than I do now. But when I stopped wearing my wig, my patients all kept saying, "OMG, your hair is so cute, but you really cut it short! Why did you do it?" until I wanted to scream. (Actually, I did lose it with a couple of them because they wouldn't let it go after I thanked them and shut up. It was mean of me, but I figured if they asked about 5 times what made me cut it sooooo short (like several people did), they deserved to hear just exactly WHY it was short! Anyhow, not sure I can emotionally go through that again!). Sorry for the rant :)

Duffy, how are you feeling? I hope the weather has cooperated and you have been able to get outside. I know what you mean about seeing - in writing - the cancer running through your family. I am also BRCA negative, but my Dad's mom passed of colon cancer, Dad's brother (still alive at 87) had testicular cancer, my mom died of brain cancer (and she also had a blood cancer), my aunt died of a blood cancer (and her daughter passed of a childhood cancer at 22), my uncle and grandmother died of colon cancer (all on Mom's side). I feel like I was sort of doomed to get this. My sister, however, has decided that she is not going to get cancer in any form and has refused to EVER get a mammogram (never has, never will). Argh. I wish it was that simple (just refuse and all is good)!

Urdrago, what's happening with the Xeloda? Are you tolerating the shorter doses?

Hoping you all have a great week!

• life1963

GaWarrier whenever I'm asked why did you cut your beautiful long hair? I will tell them that I am just playing around with different styles. That usually shuts them right up because then they're either say oh well I like the long better or oh it looks cute on you and they drop it. My brother carried on though about how I look like a grandma now and I'm his younger sister and so I better be getting to dying my grey hair so that I don't look older than he does. I'm just not ready to dye it. I'm not really ready to do anything with. I figured it sacrificed a lot last year so I'm just going to let it do its own thing for a while. I had super super tight curls but as I've let it grow longer the curls are getting looser and a little bit more bouncier. However I'm really starting to think I look like the 80s child with a short fro! Lol

Ingerp - I know you really hate your tight little curls. I know in order to get past that you're probably going to have to just let it grow out. That's a struggle though I get it. Like I said I feel like I look like the 80s child right now. LOL. So you're almost done with treatment? Great news in itself! How is Anastrozole treating you? I don't seem to be having a whole lot of problems since I changed it to taking it in the mornings. But I've also incorporated into my life vitamin D, magnesium, vitamin B and C. I don't know if it's helping but I know my sleep is getting better at night and my joint pain isn't quite as bad. I've also started circuit training in the mornings at 5:30 cuz that seems to be the only time I can get it done. LOL

Undrago so sorry about your kids losing their cousin. That would be tough to deal with. Hope you're doing good on your treatments. I am sorry I forgot how many more you have.

Duffy good luck with all the trails you getting involved in. Hope you're doing well.

DebAl WOW! That is a lot to contend with. I'm not even sure what to say. I was floored when I read about your friend, 25 years?! I'm sorry for the loss of your other friend as well. Glad to hear job is going well and you enjoyed your vacation.

Friday was my day to get my blood tested for tumor marking. Won't know anything until either Tuesday or Wednesday. Just kept myself super busy this weekend. Tackled the yard work today and yesterday. Bowled on Friday night. Now I'm just so tired I just want to go to bed. I am with GaWarrier on this. My doctor's appointment was just like how you feeling? Okay let me check your breasts, okay well if you don't hear from us then that means everything's good. See you in 3 months. Definitely was asked a lot more questions last year and even my last appointment in Dec. I guess that's really kind of a good thing in a way because that means they're not concerned about anything. Right? I wish I could get so calm about it.

Hugs to you all. I am sorry if I missed anyone out there. Everybody have a wonderful week and I'll check back in very soon.

• ingerp

Life--I have two more Herceptins to go. Last one is May 17th. And if I may whine for a second, I started thinking about how I need to remember to order the cupcakes and get out my tiaras. Every time I've had a "last" I dress up a little, put on a tiara, and take in cupcakes for the staff. But this will be the fourth time. I did it after rads in 2016, after Taxol last summer, after rads last fall, and I'll do it on May 17th. I'm a little eff-ing tired of these lasts. I really really really hope this is the last last. I think the good news on the AI front is I really don't think about it much any more. I'm still stiff when I get up from sitting for a long time, my heels hurt when I get out of bed (weird!) but that goes away, I occasionally have a little cramping in my fingers, but that's really it (of the obvious SEs--who knows about bone density and such).

On a brighter note, I went to a women's cancer survivors retreat this weekend sponsored by my hospital and despite being a little iffy about signing up, I must say it was *wonderful*. Eleven participants plus probably twice as many volunteers to provide us with a very special weekend with fly fishing and fly tying and yoga and music and a nature hike and wine and great food and cookies and lots of laughing and talking and we weren't allowed to lift a finger in terms of food prep or clean-up or any of the work necessary to provide the weekend. I know there are programs like this around the country and if you have an opportunity, I'd *highly* recommend it. It's a pretty special space (besides BCO of course) to share your stories with people who really get it.

• duffyzmom

Ingerp - the retreat sounds wonderful. More fishing is actually on my list of things for retirement. I've always enjoyed it. I've never been fly fishing. My brother actual competes in the Bass series.

Weather has been amazing so lots of walks outside and I even felt up to some light yard work this weekend. I see the PS next week so I'm hoping he'll release me for more activity then. I'm in high spirits because we got to see both kids in Lansing on Sunday. We'll see them again for Easter but it was nice to have a little visit.

LIFE - my hairdresser really doesn't want me colouring my hair yet. She calls it baby hair because it is so soft and fluffy. I'm honestly not sure how much longer I can hold out. The top is a pretty silver but the sides are just grey.

GAWarrior - Well darn it I had no idea I could just refuse the cancer....is that like refusing to accept a delivery? is there paperwork involved? ;-)

Take care all!

• ingerp

duffy I don't think any of the participants had ever done any fly fishing before. I've done just a tiny bit of regular fishing here and there on vacation--hubs spent a lot of time doing it growing up, as did his father. Pleasant way to spend a few hours outdoors. Hooray for seeing kids!! I had that baby hair for a while but then something more like real adult hair grew in. And if there's paperwork to refuse cancer, could someone please forward a copy? I'll even get it notarized.