Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Engine thanks for updating us on Janice. I had been thinking of you both.

Forget hair photos I splurged today and did bio gel nails. I couldn't take the crappy breaking catching on everything nails anymore.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

You know everybody is looking so good. What I'm really noticing though is not just a picture of what your hair looks like but how your faces shine, how happier you're looking!

I really enjoyed getting to see your pictures. There's still some more out there that were missing. I'm sure eventually they'll surface as well. ;)

Duffy your nails look so nice! Yeah. I keep cutting mine down when they get long because they split. I can't use the shellac polish though because it thins my nails out. Perhaps I should check out this bio gel. 🤔

Now as far as my hair is concerned, I have a cowlick in the back, actually two, so I tried to blow dry it out with a brush and curl it today. I feel I should share with you that I used to have long thick hair. So the only curling iron I have is for long thick hair. You should have seen me in the bathroom trying to curl my short hair with this ginormous long thick curling iron. Can we say afro city! I am talking big and frizzie! Lol

Keep smiling my dear friends! Your all very beautiful women.

Huggs to you all!

Ola Engine! Good to hear from you! Glad Janice is feeling better as well.

Check in later!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Duffy, Ingerp, you ladies are rocking the Uber short haircuts! And this is me enjoying myself at Riviera Maya.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Looking beautiful, ladies! I love seeing all the pics. Urdrago, did you flat iron your hair or did you miss getting the chemo curls? I would love to have bangs again, but my hair still seems too short to try a flat iron. (I tried and ended up with hair sticking out willy-nilly. My flat iron seems ginormous now, like you said, Life, lol). I'm a thrilled to have hair again, but sometimes think I'll cut it short like Duffy and Ingerp. It's hard to get through this in-between stage.

Engine, great to hear from you! I'm happy that Janice is doing well.

InnaB, I'm jealous of your trip - it looks like you had a great time.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Hooray for new nails and fun vacations!!

GAW--just my $0.02--I've gotten several compliments from strangers on my haircut (like I had a choice!). I guess at this point it definitely looks like I'm just intentionally going super short. I'd say throw on some big earrings and go for it. My latest wacky thought just yesterday was to try to color my hair--like by myself. I've never done that before--for years I got it highlighted four times a year but I know it's too short for that. It's just so much darker than I'm used to. But I also have a feeling it'd turn out orange or something. Aren't there like kind of temporary, vegetable-based hair dyes? Like in the six-week range? Any hair ladies out there? How wrong could this go??

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

looking beautiful everyone!! It's only for special friends that I post a pic post workout, no makeup, messy hair... did I brush my teeth yet?? Lol

• ingerp

Deb you look wonderful!!

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad to read updates from so many of you and hear you are doing well.

I don't know if you remember me mentioning the lady radio host (Jillian) here that is going through treatment right now. Per her Twitter feed, she is doing well. She has stage 2, but they ran a CT and everything was fine. They saw one nodule on her lung, so they ran a PET scan and determined it was not malignant, which was great news. She was really having a hard time with Taxol. They were double-dosing her so she could be done and get to radiation before her kids get out of school for the summer. The double dose was just too much, so they cut it down to a single dose each session. I don't know how she is able to work as regularly as she does. She goes on the air at 5:00 AM and lives many miles from the station.

You ladies (my wife and Jillian included, are all my heroes!

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Gawarrior,,

lol, Ive got chemo curls and I use gel/ all natural.. but the top I brush or comb into something of a style. And bangs I do straighten with baby size flat iron.. when curls are not in the right place I curl..

• gawarrior

Thanks, Urdrago - I guess I need to find a baby size flat iron...<fires up Amazon>

Ingerp, I've been coloring my hair since January (4 mo PFC). I use Clairol Natural Instincts (the box says no ammonia and 80%natural ingredients. You can see the labels on Amazon). It's semi-permanent and seems to do fine as long as I use a darker color. I was blond before (in the 8 or 9 range on the colors that you see listed on the box) but that normally means they use peroxide or something to strip the color so that the dye takes. This hair dye won't do that (strip it) (in my experience). Blond did absolutely nothing on me, so I had to use the 7 range (light brown) to get it to take. It's easy to color your own hair at this length, just get a mirror to be sure you got all of the back covered. It washes out in about 6 weeks (with no roots, like the permanent colors give you). Cut off a bit of hair, then color it in a bowl before you go for the whole head. That way you know if it will do something weird on your head (like turn your hair orange).

Engine, glad to hear that Jillian is doing well. I only had problems with Taxol with my feet and fingers, but I had weekly doses. I imagine DD would be much tougher. And, it all wears you out. I swear I am more exhausted now than I was back then. Just realized the anniversary of my first chemo is this Sat, 4/20. So glad to be on the other side of THAT!

• ingerp

Thanks, GAW. So after yesterday's post I did a fair amount of research, including that brand. I kept hemming and hawing and went from semi-permanent, <allegedly> natural colors, to henna (yes they make it in blonde!), to good old Sun-In, reading lots of reviews and such, and finally dialed it back to a shampoo/conditioner from John Frieda called "Go Blonder". I have a feeling it won't end up doing anything very noticeable, except by me in the sunlight, but it didn't make me nervous, and maybe it'll brighten me up a bit. I don't think I'm concerned about putting color in my hair post-chemo--more that I've never done anything like this at all. Seems like for every four reviews saying, "Loved this product!" there's one that says, "Made my hair really dry" or something. I'm still convinced my hair has lost some of the chemo curl and I can maybe grow it out. At some point I'll contact my highlight lady and see what she can do for me, but likely not for a couple of months. (FWIW--a lot of the highly reviewed, natural ingredient things only come in like pink/blue/green--not really the look I'm going for. ;-) ) If you get the mini-straightener be sure to show us pics. I got a full-sized one back in the days when we were all doing super-straight hair but haven't pulled it out in years.

(Urdrago love your nails!!)

• Engine104

Hi GA,

On her Twitter feed this morning she was reporting that the neuropathy in her feet is really getting bad. I think she is on Gabapentin for it. I'm amazed she can work as consistently as she does. She has said that she goes straight home after the show and is in bed the rest of the day.

• duffyzmom

Look at all these beautiful women!

Today I'm smiling from ear to ear! Final Herceptin was this morning. I even rang the bell.

Have a great Passover or Easter!

• gawarrior

Woohoo, Duffy! Congrats!!

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

YES! Way to ring that bell! Smile and all! Congrades!!!🤗

• urdrago71

Duffy, Congrats!!! Btw ur nails looks fabulous..love the color!

Ingerp thanks Ive been doing nail stamping art ..truth , Ive been learning how to just to get nail polish onto an etched imagine ( technique), get the imagine onto stamp then onto nails. Thats been tricky, 2 weeks later u see the results..lol..next I want to apply two tone nail polish than stamp an image over..Easter at my house with brunch and nail art party!!! Just hoping nobody spills the polish! My family is mostly girls..

Gawarrior, the mini flat iron and give the iron a gentle roll for curl. Also if u hold it in one position for too long even I end up with hair straight and crazy.. As my sides have grown I tuck behind my ear and try to keep then flat..if I run my fingers through sides they get out of control.

I love all the pictures!!

• ingerp

duffy--I am so happy for you. CONGRATULATIONS ON FINISHING THIS MARATHON!!! What are you doing to celebrate? How did you feel coming out? I have my penultimate one a week from tomorrow; final one May 17th. It cannot get here soon enough. . .

• duffyzmom

Ingerp - we're actually headed to Universal Studios for my celebration trip. I'll be there for your final Herceptin casting spells with my wand. I'll make sure to cast a special spell for you.

• InnaB2018

Ingerp, we are counting days with you!
  • ingerp

Duffy--I'll take it!!

Inna--Heart

• Engine104

Congrats Duffy! Wonderful!

• gawarrior

Ziessen Pesach and Happy Passover to my Jewish friends!

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

Congrats Duffy!! Enjoy your trip! Ingerp, you are next!!! So happy for both of you!

• InnaB2018

Duffy, Ingerp, congrats on your huge milestone! Back from Mexico, vacation was too short, as always.

Thank you, GAWarrior,and Happy Easter to my Christian friends!

• urdrago71

Welcome back, InnaB. At least the weather is getting warmer here as well.

I seen my MO last friday and have schedules CT scans end of month, no concerns plus my ultrasound that wasnt completed last month by error. This week I travel for work down to Hopkinsville, KY til Sat.

Hope everyone had a peaceful weekend..sending good vibes.

• ingerp

Inna--sorry you're back in the real world but hooray for vacations!! Time to start planning your next one. ;-) We're having a nice stretch of not-too-cold-not-too-hot spring weather in Central Virginia. :-D

• gawarrior

Thanks and sorry your vacation had to end, InnaB - they are always too short.

Belated Happy Easter to everyone. I hope you had the same beautiful weather we did yesterday. It was picture-perfect!

Urdrago, good luck on your scans next week. How is the Xeloda going for you on the shortened dose?

Ingerp, 26 days to go until the final Herceptin!

• urdrago71

Gawarrior,

Xeloda is going well, and it makes me look flushed when I'm in the sunlight..hmmm thanks about CT Ive been having a headache that is not gotten worse but hasnt gone away either and Ive been on antibotics.. so maybe a sid3 effect from everything Ive been thru?? Who knows what the new norm is..

Frog how are u doing on xeloda, u should almost be done???

• gawarrior

Urdrago, I see that headaches are a side effect of Xeloda.... Or, could it be seasonal allergies? I rarely have problems with allergies but this year has been crazy for me, maybe for you, too?

Yes, Frog - how are you doing? I agree with Urdrago - this is your last Xeloda cycle, I think? Almost done!

• urdrago71

absolutely. and Im not worried about the CT for brain, neck and chest..bcuz Ive made it this far.. just to confirm how good Im doing..