Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

I hope everyone had an awesome Easter. I was able to spend it with my entire family. It's been about 2.5 years since we've all been together and it was wonderful. Ingerp good vibes for your CT and congrats on back to traveling for work that is a milestone as well.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Duffy—getting the whole family together sounds wonderful. My oldest has been a little absent from family trips since he got married. It makes me sad but I also know we’re kinda living on borrowed time. I never vacationed with my parents when I was an adult so I try to appreciate any trips the other two are still willing to take with us. I just had a mammo this morning—first follow-up since dx and allegedly all looked good. The tech said “see you in a year!” but I thought most of us got looked at every six months? I have a check-in with my MO before Herceptin this Friday and an appt with my RO next Friday. We shall see. In the meantime it’s a beautiful spring day (10/10 from the Capital Weather Gang!), and I snuck out to the gym at lunch so I could meet up with a friend who’s in town after work. This is a good day!

• ingerp

Okay, ladies. How are your eyelashes doing? I've been through a couple of sheds (around four and eight months PFC), but while I'd say I have a full set, they're nowhere near as long as they used to be. Not the end of the world, and I have been using this Lilash product that worked for me before my dx, but I'm wondering if it's just me? Maybe they'll never fully come back? Or am I being impatient?

• duffyzmom

Ingerp - You're not being impatient. Since I was going to see family that I hadn't seen since chemo ended I splurged last week and got lash extensions. I've never had big beautiful lashes but between the lack of eyebrows and thin lashes I was very self conscious. Not sure if I'll continue with these extensions long term but glad I had them for seeing my mom.

This is no mascara just a little eyeliner on lower lashes and of course eyebrows drawn.

• ingerp

I actually looked into that, duffy. I just have a feeling I'd rub them all out or something. What I did do is make an appointment at a lash/brow place to get some tinting done. I know it won't lengthen my lashes but I was thinking ahead to Costa Rica when I'm trying to get away with no make-up, and maybe it'll make them a little more visible. (I also did some research this morning and ordered some lash serum. I thought trying something different might work better?) (BTW--yours look great!!)

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Duffy, you look great! Are the lashes irritating? I have thought of trying them because my lashes were practically non-existent before chemo...

Ingerp, glad your mammo came out well!. Re: eyelashes, actually, mine are longer than they've been in years (which ain't sayin' much). Also only the inner half of my eyebrows have grown back, but those babies are bushy (haven't seen that in years, either). I figure everything will fall out the day before we leave on our Memorial Day/my birthday weekend cruise, lol. Let us know how your lash serum works.

So, I saw the PS today - a 0.25 inch hole opened up in my incision on Monday. It's been oozing for a couple of weeks (I kept thinking of Janice!), but the hole was a shocker. DebAL recommended I call the PS and he wanted me to come in ASAP (thanks, Debbie). He was worried that there was infection and the implant was compromised, but it turned out that the hole has internal skin between it and the implant so it's all good. He says my body encapsulated a suture or two and pushed them out. So he cleaned it out and dressed it. Meanwhile, I had found a small lump very close to where the original cancer was located, so I asked him to check that. He dragged out an ultrasound machine and quickly confirmed that it is fat necrosis. I love my PS! I have my MO visit next Monday, but at least I'm not freaking out between now and then. :)

• krissy37
    krissy37 Member Posts: 119

Hello Everyone,

Checking in with you all... I am on my last cycle 8/8 on Xeloda 3000 mg a day 2 weeks on one week off. I am looking so forward to being DONE!! Side effects have been tolerable, mostly fatigue , muscle aches and I'm noticing that the neuropathy is happening more often. It's mostly in my feet and goes up my shins to my knees. I do have some in my hands too. I have noticed on the off weeks I do feel more normal so I'm just hoping that continues after I'm finished with Xeloda.

I had my second Zometa infusion yesterday. I get them every 6 months. Same complaints from last time...I feel awful. I can compare it to days 3-5 of being on the red devil chemo. I know not all feel this crappy on Zometa but I sure do!

Next steps for me is to finish Xeloda then my oncologist wants a CT scan to check that my lungs and liver are all clear. I had a bone scan 2 months ago as I had a scare of bone mets. I had intense pain in the tumor site one year after mastectomy . My tumor was higher up in the chest wall, above my then cleavage. My onc surgeon said better to check to alleviate my anxiety over it . Scan was normal. The pain has since subsided .

I've had my treatment through City of Hope in Duarte, CA. And I must say I feel like my team of doctors have been awesome.

I skimmed through the recent posts and would like to add that my eyelashes have fallen out twice too! They are now back -black long and thick.

As I've mentioned before, I am BRCA2 positive. The ooph surgery I had was fairly easy. I do have regular hot flashes ( at age 48 ) and feel bloated a lot. Recovery time was 3 weeks of taking it easy.

Glad to hear all of us are doing okay ! What a stressful life we all live...a year ago I was convinced I would not see my second child graduate high school in June...now it's almost that time!

(((Hugs to all! ))

• ingerp

GAW—<phew!>

Krissy—congrats on being close to the end. One of my cabin mates on the survivor weekend was almost finished with Xeloda but I don’t know that much about it. This has been a long haul for you!!

• duffyzmom

GAwarrior - sorry to hear about the incision issues. I get it though I have one area where a stitch is poking through. Nurse trimmed it at follow-up appointment but it is back at it again now. The lashes aren't to irritating it is more mental for me than anything. I keep thinking don't rub your eyes, don't rub your eyes. But other than that I really on notice that sensation first thing in the morning. I'm anxious to see how long they last. I may do a mini refill before our Florida trip but don't know if I'll try to maintain them long term.

• ingerp

Just wanted to share with y’all what I got this morning. A former patient put them together. I tried to say no since I’m not getting chemo any more but they kind of insisted.

imageimage

• ingerp

Oh—and please agree with me that my hair is indeed straightening out.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Ingrep, ur hair is straight..and growing steadily!

Duffy, my upper lashes are aweful.. thick to thin depending on the week. Oh yeah straight and weakly.. i wish I cld shave those and start all over.the bottom lashes are fine.

Gawarrior, glad that u know what was going on in there and u can now heal..im sure that had to be a shocker after all thos time.

Frog, how are u doing?

Work went well, waiting fly out early tomorrow morning from Nashvile.. I didnt have a clue about the NFL draft weekend..and a marathon tomorrow as well..

Have a great weekend..

• Batata
    Batata Member Posts: 22

Hello Ladies and Engine! It's been a while since I posted, but I check up on everyone daily :) I've been swamped at work, trying to make up for lost time. Getting my port out today (fingers crossed, for some reason - despite everything else I've been through - this is giving me major anxiety)

Congratulations Duffy on finishing the Herceptin and your eyelashes (WOW) look fantastic Mine grew back so lush after I finished the chemo, then they all fell out again, lol. This is something I have to look into but am also worried I'll just end up rubbing them all off. How are they holding up so far?

Ingerp, your hair looks strong and straight :) and what a thoughtful gift from your former patient. My hair is still uncontrollable without heavy duty gel etc, but I've started coloring the grey with semi-permanent L'Oreal Castings. I've done it myself 3 times, and every time is an adventure because my hair never turns out the color it's supposed to :D I think it's because I'm 75 % grey post-chemo. Instead of being light brown last time I'm now a coppery red, but it's all good. I'm having fun with it.

Engine I'm sorry to hear about Janice's neuropathy. Is she on an aromatase inhibitor? After only 2 weeks on tamoxifen my hands and feet were back to Taxol level discomfort. If she is, maybe speaking to her doctor could offer some solutions.

Urdrago you look fabulous and so glam :) I can't wait for you to show us some of the nail stamping!

GA Warrior, so sorry about the complication with your incision, thank God it's not serious and I hope it heals quickly.

Krissy37, hope that the remaining Zomata infusions are kinder to you. It's such a long seemingly endless journey we're on, but looking back over the past year shows us how much we've already achieved and survived.

I had my 4 month checkup with the visiting oncologist, and my ultrasound & mammogram were good (just some remaining inflammation and density, and slight lymphodemia near my collarbone from the radiotherapy). My Mondor's is almost completely gone (YAY). He wants me to go on Femara instead of the Tamoxifen, but will have to do a bone density scan 1st. Also have to redo my blood tests in a month because one of the tumor markers is on the high side. I'm not too freaked out about that, I don't trust them anyway. My tumor markers were normal when I was diagnosed & stage 3, and they've been up and down since then.

Anyhow, I hope everyone had a restful and peaceful happy Easter; and wish all a joyful Passover, filled with family, and love and Good Health!!!

• ingerp

One more thing from yesterday. I officially got my next follow-up appt with my MO. It’s not until November 1st. That made me weirdly happy. I’ve been catching up on my non-BC medical appts (eye doctor, GYN, regular check-up with PCP, I see my RO next week), but wouldn’t it be AMAZING if I had like a whole month with no medical appointments?!?!? Whatever would I do with myself?? ;-)

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Ingerp, your hair is definitely straightening! Regarding eyelashes, mine grew out, then fell out, now they grew out again. I am using eyelash serum on them every night, and they look good for now.

GAWarrior, what a scare! My exchange surgery is coming up, and I am afraid of it for some reason.

Duffy, you look great!

Getting ready for a haircut today! Since I never had curly hair, I have no idea how to style it now. I love it, though! I hope the curls won’t go away, I am just getting used to them.

In other news, my 19-year run with the insurance company will be ending in January of next year. They are eliminating my position in NJ in order to open it in North Caroline. Every year there is something to worry about... It sucks.

• ingerp

Inna I just ordered a different serum—the one I’d been using didn’t seem to be doing much so I figured why not try something else. And I’m so sorry about your job. I’m guessing it’s too early to think about retirement? Have fun at the haircut and post a picture for us

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

GaWarrier WOW! That would have freaked me out too. I'm so glad that they found out it's nothing serious. I love the idea of cutting a little bit of my hair out and putting it in a bowl to see what color it will change. I too am leery of doing any kind of coloring for fear I'll end up bright orange or super burgundy red. LOL

Undrago I love your attitude! Hope your business trip was good. I always like going on trips but I love coming back home. Your nails are really cool. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your nail art as well. How fun to have a nail party! I just had my first pedicure and manicure done yesterday since chemo. The gal was carrying on about how my toenails were so out of control. LOL. I told her I've been trying to cut them myself but the last time I did I cut them super short so I decide to let them grow out as long as possible and then come and see her. It felt so good! I never used to get pedicures because I have toes that curl under, I think they're called hammer toes. I figured what's the point, until a girlfriend talked me into it one time. Now I thoroughly enjoy them. Thanks for the advice on how to use a curling iron I went and bought a small one for the occasion.

Interg Yes! I do believe your hair is growing out straight! I bet you're so happy that you no longer have to deal with curly. I'm getting used to it. I post it on Facebook asking my peeps what they thought about me growing it out or cutting it into a cute short style. Most peeps said continue to let it grow the curls look cute. They want to see what it's going to look like when it's long and curly. I think, the longer it gets the more it's going to start dropping down and not look as curly. We shall see. My hair doesn't grow as fast as it used to. Usually it would have taken me a half a year to grow my hair down past my shoulders. I'm actually getting used to having short hair and enjoying the easiness of it. Not having to wear a ponytail or pulled up all the time. Yes. I take my Anastrozole everyday. I have maybe forgotten it twice since last July and totally freaked out when I did. My OC said just take it when you remember it but make sure I take it everyday. Yep. Looking at those numbers that you just posted, I will be taking it every day for the next 10 years of my life. MAY IS ALMOST HERE!! 😁

Krissy37 I just thought I would let you know that when I did my first Zomata infusion I was miserable as well. My OC started adding fluid to my infusion so I get a bag of fluid with my zometa and I feel totally fine. I don't know if your doctor would be willing to try that for you. Also they slowed my drip down. Yeah it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get it now but so worth not feeling like crap the next couple of days.

Frog How are you doing? If you're almost done post it out there so we can all cheer for you!!

Deb I'm going to have to say you completely Rock the Olivia Newton-John look! And when I see your arms I think to myself ,man I want those arms! I keep popping into the gym and doing my circuit training. I am really struggling with eating right. I just want to eat what I want to eat. YA know. I think it's because I was so strict on my diet during chemo and radiation with just chicken fresh fruit vegetables. Now I'm all about Chinese food, steak and Mexican food! I guess that's why I go to the gym. Right? LOL. Friday night was our last night for bowling and I actually drank quite a bit. I'm telling you I haven't drank like that for a while so those four beers had me going Lalalala. Lol

Batata Ya kinda of freked me out when you made that statement about your tumor marker. I go in for my digital mammogram in 3 weeks. I did a health fair blood screen last week and everything looked good. Except for my thyroid. My thyroids been wackadoodled ever since chemo. They're trying to decide if they're going to change my medication or just let it go and see if it works its way out. Sounds like you're having a blast with your hair. I am such a chicken. I don't even know what to do with my hair. Lol. Hope you're doing well and that all your scans come back negative, negative and negative!! 😊

Duffy That sounds like such a fun trip to celebrate! As far as my eyelashes, they will go through spurts as well. They'll start growing and then all the sudden they'll start falling out. I don't know about anybody else but when I go to itch my eyes, I'm like! Oh my gosh am I going to rub all my eyelashes off. My eyebrows seem to be doing fine. They're not as thick and bushy as they used to be but I actually prefer that. I don't have to pluck them as often anymore. LOL Speaking of lashes, they look great! Also. I would have never guessed that you were drawing your eyebrows on.

InnaB. That totally sucks! I mean 19 years and all of a sudden it's. See Ya! I'm hoping they give you some kind of benefit for working all those years before letting you go. Like extra bonus or something. Wow! Now after carrying on about all that. There is not a doubt in my mind with your talent and experience you will rock another job in no time!

Well I think it's time to go to the eye doctor. I was just telling my girlfriend that I can barely see anything in my glasses these days. I don't know if my prescription is doing its job anymore after chemo. My doctor did tell me to try and wait as long as I can before going back to the eye doctor. My last chemo was June 28th. I feel I've waited long enough. Are you other ladies out there struggling with your eyesight since chemo? I also I'm still struggling with a little bit of neuropathy in my feet and my hands keep falling asleep. It's kind of becoming a norm for me. I've noticed also that my socks are sucking into my feet and my ankles during the day. I have never had that problem. Anybody else out there dealing with that? I'm hoping as time goes on that goes away. I's super uncomfortable sometimes.

God continues to bring people in my life to remind me there is always someone out there going through more than I could imagine. It seems to happen every time I start getting that whoa is me feeling. Straightens me right out!

Well my neighbor just mowed there long. So guess what that means to me since our lawns are connected? Boo Hiss! I did not want to mow my lawn today! LOL. We are supposed to get another heavy snow storm come through,but after the last one I'm not convinced it's going to happen. However I have not put my snow shovel in the shed yet. LOL

Hugs to everybody! Sorry if I missed anyone. Best of luck to everyone who is getting any kind of scans or testing done.

• ingerp

Just re: eyes, I had a check-up a couple of weeks ago—it had been four years and my eyes really aren’t too bad—the mild prescription I have hasn’t changed the last 10 years. He said the pressure in my left eye is greater than it used to be and asked me if I had any glaucoma in my family. I’m going back in June to have some kind of diagnostic pictures taken. I asked my MO on Friday if it could be related to the AI and she said Tamoxifen can affect the eyes but not AIs. Keeping my fingers crossed it’s nothing.

Life so sorry about the snow!!

• gawarrior

Krissy37, so glad you're getting closer to the end of treatment. And that you're getting to see your child graduate. :)

Ingerp, I could have used that chemo pack last year - what a cool gift. Your hair is looking good (and straighter!). Also - it seems impossible that you (or any of us) could go a month without a doctor appointment, but girl, I am ROOTING for you!

Batata, I hope all went well with your port removal. FWIW, I had my MO check up today (everything is good) and asked about the tumor marker blood test. He doesn't do them unless a patient requests it because he says they are too unreliable and cause needless anxiety when the counts go up. Like you, my blood test was normal last year when I was diagnosed. Glad you aren't stressing too much about it.

InnaB, so sorry to hear about your job. You don't need more stress, that's for sure. Maybe retirement is an option? Also, don't worry about the exchange surgery - seriously, mine was a piece of cake compared to the BMX. No drains, I didn't need pain pills, dressed myself with no help, and I could move around without a problem (unlike after BMX). It is super easy, you'll be surprised.

LIFE, I have trouble with my vision, too - it's all over the place. One minute I have super-vision, the next I can't read something that's right in front of me. Also, the pollen this year has really affected them (that's not usually the case), so maybe yours is partly from allergies? My eyes are very dry and I've been using something Frog suggested (Vita-Pos ointment), that has really helped my vision. It's definitely worse when I go a few days without using that stuff. It's basically lanolin and liquid paraffin, so look on Amazon or in the store for something with those ingredients and see if it helps. Hoping for no snow for you!

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

hi everyone, my apologies again for not being more up to date but I do plan to catch up with everyone.

I found a small lump along mastectomy scar. Non BC side about as far away from original tumor you can get. Should have an ultrasound scheduled tomorrow and on to MRI if inconclusive. Hoping its scar tissue. Doing ok, then waves of panic. You know the drill. Trying hard to stay busy.

Hope everyone is doing well. Hugs to everyone, deb

• life1963

Deb - That would be stressful! Let it be scar tissue! Keep us informed. Huggs and prayers!

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

How is everyone doing? How I have missed all you lovely people. I meant to read all the prev posts and then respond. But I have already laughed twice and teared up once and theres still 2 pages worth of posts left. I will go back and read.

I git my last shot of Zoladex on friday and I finished the last cycle of Xeloda on sunday. Super tired. Eyesight is quite blurry. Corneal dryness. Apparently our corneas dont have any blood vessels. They are nourished by our tears. Also, sitting in front of the laptop has not helped the situation much. Yesterday was my last day at the job. I intend to take a good break now. I shouldn’t have gotten into it so soon.

Belated birthday wishes Duffy. Congrats on being done and ringing the bell. All of you look lovely in the pictures. Urdrago, you look a total badass. My hair is all fuzz. My hubby has started humming that song from frozen, bees will buzz and by the time he comes to kids will blow dandelion fuzz they are messing up my hair.

I have not read all the posts yet. I will sit down soon to read those soon. In the mean while, wishing everyone a sunny rest of the week.

Oh Debal, I just read your post. Hugs to you

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Deb. Im thinking of as u go thur the ultrasound.

I had ultrasound today and they are not sure about the scar tissue area but doc. Wasnt ready to jump to biopsy either.. it's going my new baseline is so I need to come back in 6 months or if anything changes. Next up CT scans ..Im sitting in the waiting room yep 5 :30p.m If I recall for CT scans I will not know anything right away ..

• ingerp

Good to hear from you, Frog! Are you finished with work for good? If so I’m jealous!!

• life1963

Undrago. Gee nothing like coming back from a business trip and hitting the hard stuff! Thinking of you as well. Let us know. Huggs

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Deb, Urdrago, hugs to you... Praying for the false alarm

• gawarrior

DebAL, prayers that everything turns out well today!

Urdrago, hoping the same for you.

IngerP, it's now May, so only 17 more days until you are done. Not that you're counting. :)

Frog, so good to hear from you! CONGRATS on being done! You can relax and get back to normal now. Hoping your eyesight clears up now that you won't be on the computer as often. (Fuzzy or not, isn't it nice to have hair that people can mess up, lol?)

Hugs to you all.

• ingerp

GAW you are so sweet to point that out! Yeah I'm calling it 16 days--1st to 17th. I have been waiting a lo-o-o-ong time to flip to this month!! I have lots of things on the calendar the next 2.5 weeks, and I'm hoping it'll <kinda> fly by. We're off to a really nice resort this weekend with my mom and sibs and their families (my mom's been treating us to this the last three years). It'll be little-to-no exercise and lots of calories but also lots of fun.

I had a six-month follow-up with my RO yesterday. Just a basic look at my skin/breasts/mobility. We also talked a bit about why this keeps happening to me (I think I've told y'all besides the 2016 DCIS and last year's IDC I had ALH 10 years ago). I'm going to meet with the genetic counselor at my MO's office and probably go ahead and get the genetic testing done. I asked her why I'd do that since I'm already on this side of treatment. She said if they find something, my BS will want to talk about a double mastectomy. Then <her words>, "You'll say eff that--I just went through all this treatment to avoid that." *But*, it would allow me to be more closely monitored. As of now I'll only get a mammogram once a year. If there's a genetic abnormality, though, I can add an MRI in between. Definitely interested in more frequent monitoring.

I'll probably post this on an AI thread, but we also talked a little about taking it for more than five years. I said I was kind of expecting that in five years I'll be told to stay on it another 2-5 years. *But* she said they're looking more at extending hormone therapy for younger women with more aggressive cancers. I guess we'll see when the time comes but that was kind of nice to hear.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Hello everyone, I am all updated on everyone now. I intend to take a break before getting into the next job. We are planning a trip to Europe, I am very excited. I hope to get some energy back before the trip which I think will be quite soon. Hubby is going for a conference and I am tagging along. My MO thinks my body has been pushed into a pre menopausal state. That is supposed to explain the fatigue and yet sleepless nights. We are still to find our “dream house" or even a regular house.

My eyebrows are very thin, eyelashes not yet to pre chemo length. However, my hair has come back thicker and very fuzzy, frizzy. I had really straight hair and I have never owned a straightener. I have no idea what to do with this hair. I like it just because its mine. It does give me an additional 2 inches of height. I like that part as well.🤣.

Robin, isnt your birthday coming up? Cant wait to see what Udrago posts for you.

Urdrago, when do you get the results? I hope you and Deb Al have “unremarkable" written all over your results.

Edited for multiple typos.

• ingerp

Frog you look wonderful! And I'm sure your brows look thin to you but they look great to the rest of us (speaking from someone who never had much in that area, and very light in color). Your hair is adorable--my guess is it'll straighten out, at least some. A trip to Europe sounds fantastic, and I'm sure the break from work is welcome. Maybe put the house hunting on hold for a while, until your life settles down a bit?