Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

May 2018 Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• Kelligirl5
    Kelligirl5 Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2018
    Options

Results from the biopsy came back and B9! Thank goodness! It is a papilloma and with the Paget's on the right it makes it a high risk area so they are going to remove it and some of the surrounding tissue. Orders were put in late today for surgery so I can call in the morning and schedule.

PrairieDog, good luck tomorrow!

SLL101984, - I'm just a step or two ahead of you. The waiting has been the worst!

• ReadyAbout
    ReadyAbout Member Posts: 145
    edited May 2018
    Options

SLL101984: I am at the point of losing my mind. I have been in limbo most of 2018. I hope all your puzzle pieces come together quickly, but my genetic testing took at least 2-3 weeks of waiting. Also, I was supposed to find out my Oncotype score on 4/5 and through a comedy of errors, my tumor wasn't processed by the lab, and when it finally was, the lab called the oncologist to say my cancer was invasive, not DCIS. Every single one of my doctors said they had never seen that happen, and my MO was actually very upset about it, but I have a rare cancer that is hard to diagnose on slides. I'm getting dmx, SNB and prepectoral recon on 5/16 because I'm not a good candidate for radiation. I find that the closer I get to mx date, the more emotional I get, which has surprised me. It has been very challenging to teach and deal with the end-of-year shenanigans of middle schoolers and stay positive; I feel like I've earned an Olympic gold in compartmentalizing. I have known since 1/9 that something wasn't right, so I am ready for surgery. As Tom Petty once said, "The waiting is the hardest part."

• Mntx
    Mntx Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2018
    Options

SLL-I'm praying for you. I understand the frustration and anxiety that comes from not knowing. I started this process in February and stilll won't know what I'm dealing with til path from surgery comes back. BS not convinced it's just DCIS in my case. Additionally, I'm Er/PR neg so whether I am HER ➕or - , I'm not happy.

You said it Best, the waiting is the hardest part. Anyone going through this and dealing with middle schoolers at the end of the year deserves a prize! First Place for you!!!

• ReadyAbout
    edited May 2018
    Options

PrairieDog- GOOD LUCK today and pleasantsa, GOOD LUCK tomorrow! I will be praying for y’all. It will go great! Ice packs are your friend! Curl up on the sofa when you get home and make people bring you peeled grapes and something fruity in a goblet while you binge on Netflix.

• Prairiedog
    Prairiedog Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thanks for the well wishes. I’m twiddling my thumbs right now as my check in time at the hospital is 11:00. I hope the surgeon isn’t tired and crabby by the time he gets to me. I was amused that my pre-op instructions included taking a bath with anti-bacterial soap, wearing clean clothes, and sleeping on clean sheets. Since I was thinking about germs I even bathed the dog. I’m ready to head off but boy am I thirsty! I’ll be glad to get this over with and have something to drink.

ReadyAbout, good luck with the middle schoolers. I’m a retired principal and both of my kids are teachers. I get a weekly report on how many days are left. The waiting IS tough.

Pleasantsa, good luck with your surgery tomorrow

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2018
    Options

it’s official ladies, BMX it is. They found a few more small spots in the mri and I’m not a candidate for multiple lumpectomies so off they go. Starting for freak out a little bit!!

• ReadyAbout
    edited May 2018
    Options

SLL101984 - I'm really sorry you've got to go through the BMX. I estimate that 25% of my mental desktop is continuously running a file called "Upcoming Mastectomy" and there's no "Command Z" shortcut to undo it. Because of all the pink ribbons, cheery slogans and cute balloons, some people assume breast cancer is an easy road, and it's not. I'm guilty of assuming it was no big deal since the survival rates are so high, then I got cancer. If you are doing reconstruction, you may want to see if you're a candidate for prepectoral reconstruction and find out which plastic surgeons in your area do it. The implants go OVER, not under the chest muscle, so there's a much quicker recovery time. There is a board dedicated to this topic: "TE/Implant Over the pectoral". At the top of that board is a lengthy list of PS in each region of the U.S. who do prepectoral. Hope this helps!

• SLL101984
    edited May 2018
    Options

readyabout- thank you so much for your kind words and being so supportive while you’re going through this yourself!! This is better than the alternative of course just not something I ever expected at 33 years old! Burn ive read through comments from ladies in last months surgery group and they did it and so can I!

• Kelligirl5
    edited May 2018
    Options

Surgery is officially scheduled for May 15th finally! I'm glad to have a date but starting to panic now that I HAVE a date!

• Nurselola1973
    Nurselola1973 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2018
    Options

May 15 for lumpectomy and axillary node dissection.

Praying for no lymphnode involvement and no chemo 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Nurselola1973
    edited May 2018
    Options

I’m same day! Scared to

• MiAnBu
    MiAnBu Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Options

It has been 3 days since my surgery and I am able to walk around the house, brush my teeth, hair, and change my clothes. All at a snails pace but getting easier everyday. My surgery went well, Dr. feels confident that she was able to get all of the cancer but waiting on pathology to confirm.

• TrailDweller
    TrailDweller Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2018
    Options

I will have a lumpectomy on Tuesday, May 8th. I was diagnosed on April 24 with mucinous carcinoma. I am 56 and raising a 9 year old. I am married and work full time.

• mountainmama406
    mountainmama406 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hey May ladies!! I just wanted to pop in and say hi to y’all :)

I had my bmx/reconstruction (straight to implants) on Feb 13th, so nearly 3 months ago. I know the waiting for answers and surgery dates sucks, but in the grand scheme of things, it flies by. Being on the other side of surgery and feeling 100% again those are memories that are already fading. You’re on the way to that too!

Biggest thing I found helpful was wearing a zip up hoodie inside out and using the pockets to hold my drains. Everything else is just whatever you need to make yourself comfortable.

I’ll be having surgery again this month for fat grafting on the 15th so will be joining you on the recovery couch too;)

• Kelligirl5
    edited May 2018
    Options

Nurselola1973 it sounds like we are both on the same track, lumpectomy and axillary node dissection. Prayers for both of us to come out of surgery with no lymph nodes involved and no chemo!

Did most of you find out your ER/PR HER2 info from a biopsy? I had a punch biopsy which is how they discovered the Paget's but I haven't been given any other information. I'm assuming the Paget's cells are just a different sort of cell and once she gets to the actual DCIS underneath we'll know.

MiAnBu - Glad to hear you are up and around! Vibes for continued recovery and the best possible pathology report!

• JoyMrt5
    JoyMrt5 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2018
    Options

I'm scheduled for my bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction on 5/10. I will also be having a sentinel node biopsy. Once I'm healed from my surgery then I'll do chemo.

• Marena
    Marena Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2018
    Options

It's time for me to join this May surgery tribe of strong women traversing unchartered territory toward renewed health -together! After much delay & trying to surf the waves of anxiety in the darkness of limbo & the need to call in some troops to get responded to from my surgeon's office, I am finally scheduled for BMX & SNB with no reconstruction on May 25th. Some relief that I'm progressing toward getting rid of the DCIS they diagnosed from stereotactic biopsy & the multiple areas of abnormal calcifications seen on a recent diagnostic mammogram, but fear is setting in with reality of surgery ahead & that I truly won't know the full picture of my BC until pathology report is completed sometime after surgery. Given the length of time since my 1st abnormal mammo on 1/28, a high grade DCIS diagnosis on 3/14, then navigating through consults & waiting on the professionals to hear me and schedule a date, Its been nearly 6 months! I fear progression could have taken place. I know I need to take one step at a time & work on preparing mind, body & spirit for surgery, it's hard...

First things first: address my terror around the SNB prep with no anesthesia! Any tips would be most welcome to combat my frightened vision of 6 needles in my breast! Starting a meditation practice...

Positive thoughts to all of you -we are in this together.

• mountainmama406
    mountainmama406 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2018
    Options

@marena ... my snb needles didn’t hurt at all! I had been told it would be the worst part of everything, but it was a breeze. They localized the area with whatever beforehand and that was enough. I’m not sure if there’s different techniques to it or if it just depends on the person that does it how much you feel

• Prairiedog
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I had my lumpectomy and SNB on Thursday. This is my second bout with ILC and it has been very interesting to see the changes that two decades have made in the treatment of this disease. Nineteen years ago when I had a lumpectomy and complete lymph node removal I was hospitalized overnight and sent home with a drain. I recall being miserable for several days. This time my surgery was out patient and I went home immediately, but it was too late to pick up pain meds from my usual pharmacy so I decided to go without. Tylenol and ice packs did the trick quite nicely! Yesterday I felt discomfort but not pain so I took ibuprofen and even drove to an activity with some friends. Today I’m feeling even better. The stress of waiting for the surgery was much worse than the actual event! The SNB shots were not comfortable, but they were not nearly as bad as I had expected. Now i just need to wait for the pathology reports and then see what is next, but knowing that the cancer cells are out of my body has been a great relief!
    So for all of you sisters in this sorority that we never wanted to join, my experience is that waiting for the surgery is harder than the actual surgery. I pray that all of you May surgery sisters will have as good an experience as I have had.
  • ReadyAbout
    edited May 2018
    Options

MiAnBu - welcome back! I'm glad to hear your surgery went well! Sounds like you are getting around nicely! I hope surgery went well for BlueSky as well.

Kelligirl: here is a good article on HER2. http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/diagnosis/her...Prairiedog - I am so glad you've bounced back so quickly after lumpectomy - especially since this is your second time at the rodeo. I hope the path report is clear margins all the way around! I had a lumpectomy on 2/23 and won't have dmx until 5/16 and although margins were good after lump, I worry a bit that some ambitious, rogue cancer cells are going to make a break for it while I'm waiting. They are sneaky like that.

My 32 year old cousin found out 2.5 weeks ago that he has testicular cancer and he's already had surgery, scans, and started chemo. It was shocking to me how fast the treatment protocol is for testicular cancer vs. breast cancer.

• journeyforward
    journeyforward Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi, my first post:) ....

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and just had surgery May 1. I am waiting for my DVD to protect my right arm against lymphedema. I just signed up to find out everything I can about HER2 + BC. I really don't want to be overwhelmed only informed. I know the next step is chemotherapy...I'm just trying to bite the bullet. It is good to find support in this community....I'm ready to reach out!

• Prairiedog
    edited May 2018
    Options

Journeyforward, my first cancer 19 years ago was HER2+ . This time around in the other breast my cancer is HER2-. In my research I was amazed at the progress that has been made in treating HER2+ cancer! It looks to me like I did this the wrong way, I should have had the positive cancer now since the treatments are so much improved. I sometimes grumble at the pharmacology industry, but they have made vast progress in the treatment of breast cancer and for that I am grateful

• pleasantsa
    pleasantsa Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2018
    Options

UPDATED LIST

Here's a lit key since most of us are fairly new to this world.

MX = mastectomy, BMX = bilateral (double) mastectomy, SNB = sentinel node biopsy, TE = tissue expanders, IORT = intraoperative radiation therapy

5/01 MiAnBu - BMX w/ reconstruction (TE)

5/01 journeyforward

5/01 BlueSky1969 - MX w/ SNB and reconstruction (TE)

5/03 PrairieDog - Lumpectomy

5/04 pleasantsa - Lumpectomy w/ SNB, IORT

5/07 PatsyKB - Lumpectomy w/ SNB

5/08 Mntx - Lumpectomy w/ reconstruction

5/08 TrailDweller - Lumpectomy

5/09 Rjmjt120 - BMX w/ reconstruction

5/10 JoyMrt5 - BMX w/ SNB and reconstruction

5/09 Tanmcl - TE removal and re-excision after previous MX

5/15 Kelligirl5 - Lumpectomy w/ axillary node dissection

5/15 Nurselola 1973 - Lumpectomy w/ axillary node dissection

5/15 Mountainmama406 - Fat grafting after previous mx

5/16 ReadyAbout - BMX w/ reconstruction after lumpectomy (left) 2/2018

5/25 Marena - BMX w/ SNB

• pleasantsa
    pleasantsa Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I had my lumpectomy w/ SNB and IORT yesterday and I'm doing very well. Surgery was scheduled for 1 PM but the day started at 8:45 AM with the SNB injection. They injected a dye with some radioactive material into the tumor area (stung a little) 45 min later they used a wand like a geiger counter that beeped to indicate what nodes the material drained to. Next they used ultrasound to insert wires through the node and through the breast tumor to guide the surgeon. They taped the ends of the wire down to my skin. Next I had a mammogram to make sure everything was in place. Finally they took me into surgery.

After surgery I'm told the surgeon talked to me but i don't remember that at all. She said the lymph node was benign but I have to wait to get the full pathology. Apparently the IORT went well and if the pathology is good I won't have to do any more radiation. I'm going to do a write up on IORT on the boards because I researched it to death and there's not a lot on here about it.

I am so glad to have this surgery done and I truly appreciate all of your support, prayers and well wishes.

Angela

• ReadyAbout
    edited May 2018
    Options

Pleasantsa: thanks for updating all the names and surgery dates! Great to know that all went well yesterday, and I really appreciate you detailing what the SNB prep work is like. I thought I'd be passed out during the geiger counter part and I never considered that they might do a mammo or some other test before surgery starts. Some have said that the dye injection is horribly painful while others sailed through it - guess I'll find out soon, lol.

Journey: I'm sorry you're joining the sorority that no one wants to be in, but welcome aboard! There's a lot of info to ingest about BC and my unsolicited advice is to research enough to ask good questions at your dr appts but not so much that you get the "WebMD" effect, i.e. convinced you need to get your affairs in order. This website is a phenomenal resource and as you add information about your particular cancer to your personal profile, the website automatically downloads relevant articles for you to read. Finally, deep breaths. Breast cancer involves a lot of tests and a lot of waiting, and if you are a Type A person who enjoys an orderly, logical progression, it can be hard. And if you figure out how to relax through all this, tell me how. (:

• SLL101984
    edited May 2018
    Options

Good morning ladies....just wanted to pop in and say hi. Everyone I’ve talked to says I’ll have good and bad days and today is a bag day. Just down and out, no energy or ambition to do anything (maybe the cloudy rainy New England day has something to do with it), or the fact that I need to go have another spot in my other breast biopsies tomorrow. I’ve already made the decision to do a BMX so this is to rule out my dr having to take nodes from each side. As much as I’m not looking forward to the surgery I’m so ready to stop dwelling on it and get it over with. Thanks for letting me vent a minute, you guys are the only ones who get it! And those done with surgery this month glad to see you all doing well in recovery

• Nurselola1973
    edited May 2018
    Options

bad day today...in the midst of a break up with a narcsissist I was with for 8 years at diagnosis on April 20th. I know its time to end it, he didnt show up to take me to my biopsy, that was the last straw!

Even still its hard going thru the fears and unknowns of BC and the emotions of ending a bad relationship.

Cant stop thinking of what Im gna hear when I wake up..,are my nodes clear?? Will I need chemo??

May 15th cant come soon enough

• mobscene207
    mobscene207 Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2018
    Options

I echo what others have said about the pre-SNB injections. Didn't feel the needles (the numbing stuff did the trick!), there was about 15 seconds of serious discomfort with about half of the injections -- pressure and burning is the best description I can give. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting!

• journeyforward
    journeyforward Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2018
    Options

Good evening all May surgery ladies,

SLL101984, Hi, It appears that you received your diagnosis shortly after I did (mine was on yucky Friday. April 13th..blah...) I had a discussion with the MO and I had the option for neoadjuvant which is chemotherapy to shrink the tumor then do surgery to take residual tissue. I decided to have the surgery to see what we were up against. Well I had the radioactive dye injection and the surgical nurse did a great job distracting me while the radiologist went to town on the injection. Puff..done!..waiting about 1 1/2 hours then off to general anesthesia and I was awakened with news that 3 sentinal nodes were removed because they "lit-up" on the x-ray guiding the surgeon. Great news for me - they were negative. I'll get more info at my surgical post-op appointment later this week.

I am now 5 days post-op and my upper right arm is a bit numb feeling, underneath but I can move it well. I am very careful not to lift or push,pull. I support it with a soft pillow at night time and I'm resting comfortably in very little discomfort. I had a 12 o'clock position, lumpectomy and only needed ice, Tylenol and a bit of Motrin. I had prescription for add'al pain meds ready just in case. I would strongly encourage all post-op lumpectomy procedures to support the breast with absent wire - soft bra -while the tissue heals. I hope you and others can find some smattering of comfort from my experience. ... This whole thing feels so surreal at times!

Ready-About, thank you for the warm welcome and I will hit the articles later - tomorrows another day. I am trying to stay very positive, and I'm absolutely very thankful for this community.

• ReadyAbout
    edited May 2018
    Options

SLL and Nurselola: The whole thing is one interminably long rollercoaster, and I hate rollercoasters. As I sometimes say when friends ask how I'm doing, "So far, I can't really find anything to recommend this experience." There are good days and bad days and when I'm having a bad one, I try two methods. One is saying silently to myself, "Listen up, we really don't have time for this." and moving on quickly to the next thing; the other is to allow myself a few breaks in the day to feel down or have a "micro cry" for a few minutes. I am missing my grandmother's funeral tomorrow because this is my last week at school before I have surgery and I have mountains upon mountains of things to do before I leave. I try to enjoy the small things every day and remind myself that I am still on the right side of the grass while I have friends and relatives who haven't been so fortunate. Today I went hiking with a friend and the trees on the hillsides were beautiful and everything was green and it was like walking through an e.e. cummings poem.