Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diet and Lifestyle

Options

Comments

• PollyOne
    PollyOne Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thanks for this post. I'm working to improve my diet by focusing on adding in vegetables. After my youngest went to college I found myself almost incapable of eating any. Now I make sure to eat at least two on a bad day. I get the recommended 4-5 on a good day. I like red cabbage because it crunches like chips or crackers. Being cruciferous it's also supposed to help prevent BC.

I walk up and down hills in the woods several days a week. It's a place to try and sort out my feelings about this stupid cancer thing, and I go hard enough to get out of breath. At first it took a really long time to go even 1/2 mile but I literally just kept putting one foot in front of the other ever so slowly. Now I can usually keep walking, although most other walkers pass me on the trail. Some days I can even walk a normal pace. I do struggle with fairly unpredictable fatigue though. I saw some articles on forest bathing, and I really do feel refreshed afterwards.

I'm still working on the stress thing. I think I actually stress about being stressed... Anyway, I really appreciate knowing that I can feel good about exercise being my top priority for now.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited April 2019
    Options

GoKale, I could easily gobble up 2 ounces of walnuts a day for two weeks (even if that study is partially funded by the walnut Industry)! I've done a couple of mini-cures in the hopes of changing my gene expression even temporarily. The exercise cure however is the one permanent thing I've done as well as getting at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day. Go for it, PollyOne! 

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited April 2019
    Options

Below is a link to the free weekend replay of a very interesting online documentary about how cancer is treated in various Asian countries. The approach is so different from traditional western medicine. It isn't only/all about surgery, chemo and radiation (although surgery is often used in conjunction with their treatments). And... the approach is evidence-based with no side-effects. Well worth watching. The link below is live and free through Sunday evening (though there is also an option to buy the documentary).

https://go2.thetruthaboutcancer.com/eastern-medicine/replay/?utm_campaign=eastern-medicine&utm_medium=email&utm_source=all-actives&utm_content=eastern-medicine-replay-4-13-19-9am

• L-O-R-I
    L-O-R-I Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thanks for sharing, Kayak2!  What a MUST SEE!!  I watched them all last week and really enjoyed them!  This is the third year in a row that I watched their documentary, which comes out for free once or twice a year. This year's new series was especially good though, as it was updated with so much new information.  The first time I saw it was before I was even diagnosed, so after my diagnosis, I already knew what I would do if ever got cancer.  It really cut down on the "OMG, what am I going to do now!" reaction that I could have had after my Dr. told me the news.  I knew what I would do and have been doing it faithfully since day one!  Life is great!

Lori

• kayak2
    edited April 2019
    Options

L-O-R-I...yes I agree it was great. I took lots of notes. Wish all of our doctors would see the series, and at least be open to discussing and incorporating some of the ideas into our treatment plans...at least the nutritional ones, which are so easy and non-toxic and helpful. If you don't mind, I'd like to PM you and share what we both are doing.

• L-O-R-I
    L-O-R-I Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2019
    Options

Kayak2, It's always fun to share!!

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited May 2019
    Options

Dr Greger has an interesting review of a study indicating dietary cholesterol is estrogenic and may be contributing to increased risk of breast cancer. (for nutritiion newbies, remember that all plant based diets have zero dietary cholesterol. Your body makes its own cholesterol.)

"A systematic review of the evidence suggests that dietary cholesterol intake increases risk of breast cancer, and the more cholesterol you eat, the higher the risk appears to go. But, why? Watch the video "Oxidized Cholesterol 27HC May Explain 3 Breast Cancer Mysteries" on NutritionFacts.org to learn more: http://bit.ly/2OorAcc "

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    edited May 2019
    Options

Wow, I'll have to read that. Thanks moth!

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207
    edited May 2019
    Options

Moth and other ladies, I have followed an entirely plant-based, very low-fat diet for about eight years. Although it did not prevent me from developing breast cancer, it is possible that it helped the cancer to grow as slowly as it did and not spread. (I made the mistake of skipping mammograms for too many years, though.) It is also helping me in recovering from surgery and treatment, and in keeping my weight down, helping (I hope) to prevent recurrence.

I can't recommend the low-fat plant-based way of eating diets highly enough. I mostly follow Dr. John McDougall's plan, which is starch-based (that means stuff like potatoes and rice are a main component, yay). His website has tons of totally free information and great recipes.

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited May 2019
    Options

Miranda2060 - I just looked briefly at Dr. McDougall's website and it looks interesting. I will check the book out of the library and look at it further. I see that Dr. T Colin Campbell endorses Dr. McDougall. From what you know, how does it differ from Dr. Gregor of the NutritionFacts.org website? I see similarities and wonder what is different.

Some of the topics in his weekend program look so interesting and hope they are covered in his book Starch Solution. It would be fun to go to the weekend program, but it's a significant cost with airfare.

One of my co-workers suggested the book Undoctored by Dr. William Davis, but it is not plant-based. I got the book from the library and read parts and skimmed it. It didn't take me long to realize it is not for me. Probably works well for others, but it isn't geared toward cancer prevention.

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207
    edited May 2019
    Options

GoKale, I think McDougall's program is more comprehensive -- Greger's work is research-based and emphasizes certain superfoods, I think. As an example, McDougall recommends limited or no nuts and other higher-fat plant foods for those who want to lose weight; pretty sure Dr. Greger recommends eating nuts. (I should mention, I do have a serious issue with McDougall's discouraging of mammograms, which got me into trouble, but the dietary advice is brilliant, the food is fantastic, and it's very easy to live with.)

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    edited May 2019
    Options

I've been following a plant based diet since I ended radiation 2 years ago. I have always educated myself with Dr. Gregor's videos. He takes many studies on foods associated with healing disease and reports them in lehman's terms. If you go to his sight and search breast cancer, there'll be short videos on BC and flaxseed, BC and soy, BC and cruciferous veggies, etc. It really helps seeing the scientific data behind WHY we need to eat plant based.

I also read the book

The Whole-Food Guide for Breast Cancer Survivors: A Nutritional Approach to Preventing Recurrence

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&...

It has the why behind it and VERY motivational to stay with a clean eating, whole food, plant based approach based on the research out there on BC survivors.

• moth
    edited May 2019
    Options

Pamela - I haven't seen that book before. Thanks for the recommendation - I'm always looking for stuff like that.

• GoKale4320
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi Pamela - how have you been feeling? Are you taking hormone therapy as well as following the healthy diet? Just curious because I am just following a healthy diet - plant based - and turned down tamoxifen. I remember you from the cold cap message board.

The book looks interesting. It's available at my library so I will be checking it out soon.

• Pamela23
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi GoKale! I remember you too! I'm doing 10mg (20 cut in half) most days, that means, when I remember.

I never got my taste back after 4 rounds of TC so I eat healthier now than ever because the emotional attachment to food is no longer there. I throw a bunch of healthy stuff like barley grass, spirulina, green tea, etc. in my smoothie.

I go today to to the GYN for my annual and she'll also do an ultrasound of my uterus to see how my lining is doing. I've only been on T for 1 year, I took the first year off to heal.

• kec1972
    kec1972 Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2019
    Options

Pamela, I hope you had a good visit with your GYN today!

GoKale, I’m also thinking of going off tamoxifen, though I have only been taking it for one month at a half dose of 10mg, the more I read about it, the less I want to put it into my body. I follow a plant based diet with loads of veggies(especially cruciferous) fruit, nuts, beans, mushrooms, and seeds. Zero alcohol and dairy, minimal sugar. Only healthy carbs like oatmeal and black rice. Also about 2tblsp flaxseed a day, which apparently has the same mechanism of action as tamoxifen.

• Pamela23
    edited May 2019
    Options

Well the GYN was interesting today! My lining was so thick, she couldn't get the tip of the catheter to enter into the empty space in my uterus to insert the fluid. After 5 PAINFUL minutes she said I had 2 options. To come back and do this with a twilight sedation of come back in 6 months for a regular vaginal ultrasound (vs the hysterogram I did today) She said since I don't have any signs of trouble like pain/bleeding, that she was fine with either decision. Ummm...the latter please!

She had the screen in front of me and showed my all the lining, mostly how small the opening she was trying to get to was. And it's only been 1 year of not consistent 10mg! I plan to take the next 6 weeks off until I see my surgeon at the end of June who pprescribes my mammogram. I'll go back on a few weeks before the mammogram since it cuts down on my breast density. Then will go back off 2 months before going back for a vaginal ultrasound. I just want a balance between a healthy uterus and healthy breasts. I shouldn't;t have to choose.

• kec1972
    edited May 2019
    Options

Oh my gosh Pamela that is crazy! Your GYN wasn’t concerned about the thickness of the lining? Really makes you rethink taking this drug!

• Pamela23
    edited May 2019
    Options

key--she said she'd be concerned if I had symptoms but I was concerned!! Although I don't get my period, I still ovulate. I ovulated on the 12th so I'd be in the uterine thickening part of my cycle but man, I wish I could naturally shed this. I don't have the progesterone anymore to prompt the shedding.

• kec1972
    edited May 2019
    Options

I love how they say they’re not concerned! So you have no symptoms from that?Did she mention doing an ablation to get rid of the lining?

• Pamela23
    edited May 2019
    Options

kec--she suggested it a couple years ago before starting T but I declined. I was tired of being cut, poisoned and burned! I still stand by my decision. I wish I could naturally shed it.

• moth
    edited June 2019
    Options

This is a fabulous article on the possible links between drops in estrogen and Alzheimer's.

This researcher is looking at hormonal changes in women and their affects on a wide variety health issues, though she's a neuroscientist so most of her interest is the brain.

"All the cancer patients who are taking estrogen blocking medications. What happens to their brains? Do they get more Alzheimer's?"

https://medium.com/neurotrack/menopause-and-alzheimers-1c455f29fe16

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited June 2019
    Options

Great read, Moth. Thank you for sharing.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited June 2019
    Options

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190603102549.htm

Brush your teeth to postpone Alzheimer's?

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    edited June 2019
    Options

To add something to the variety of causes - try googling sugar + alzheimer's. I saw also a great TED talk on this connection.

• GoKale4320
    edited June 2019
    Options

On vacation, I had some interesting vegan meals and convenient prepackaged snacks. These Nakd bars can be bought online. But check out the ingredients; it looks so simple that maybe I can make them myself.

imageimage

• GoKale4320
    edited June 2019
    Options

http://www.lazydayfoods.com/our-shop/millionaires-shortbread

Here's the link to Lazy Day Millionaires shortbread - a VERY scrumptious treat. These can be found online at Amazon though I wonder if a vegan shortbread recipe could be modified to mimic these.

For real actual food, I had sandwiches made with gluten-free bread, hummus as a spread and vegetables for lunch. Roasted cauliflower dishes for two different dinners. Oatmeal for breakfast or muesli and fruit, and a bunch of other stuff that I cannot recall (should have taken pics)

But the nakd bars are the thing I was eager to tell everyone about. Here's the website for the USA customers

https://www.naturalbalancefoods.com/nakd-fruit-and-nut-bars/

• DorothyB
    DorothyB Member Posts: 143
    edited August 2019
    Options

I am in the process of changing my diet & lifestyle in order to do all I can to prevent recurrence.

I can't remember if I was able to change my signature - the second opinion of my lumpectomy slides said I was grade 3 and that I have lymphovascular invastion. I had Oncotype run and had score of 29. I am 61 and my med onc wanted me to do chemo. I opted to NOT do chemo. I did do radiation, but never felt comfortable doing chemo.

My med onc really wants me to do 20 mg of tamoxifen daily. I am ramping up the level of tamoxifen in my body. I am taking 10 mg most days but have taken 20 mg a few times to get my system up to the 10 mg steady state level. I started on Aug 1st and am now at the 10 mg steady state level, but it takes twice as long for the metabolite to get to the steady state level. I took 20 mg today as the first step to getting my system up to the 15 mg steady state level. (Reading Pamela23's post above kind of scares me about this)

I have been doing research, reading books, etc about diet, lifestyle, stress, etc. I am taking a "dealing w/ grief through humor" course. I've been changing diet and got a lot out of Dr Funk's Breasts the Owner's Manual and Dr William Li's Eat to Beat Disease. I'm currently watching a free series by the person who has the "Chris Beats Cancer" website.

• kayak2
    edited August 2019
    Options

I, too, am watching "Chris Beat Cancer". For anyone who is interested in this free online series (this week only), below is the link. Tonight is episode 2 (available until 9PM on Wednesday, when episode 3 becomes live). The issue that comes up again and again on various cancer docu-series that I have seen. is "genes load the gun, but lifestyle pulls the trigger' so we do have control over the choices we make (diet, for example), to lower our cancer risk. This is all evidence based! Processed meat is a group one carcinogen, followed by red meat, and grilling meat is another risk factor for cancer, because of the heterocyclic amines that are produced by this high heat way of cooking. Other foods are risk factors, while various foods are cancer protective, as I have learned. Happy to share to anyone who is interested.

https://squareone.chrisbeatcancer.com/eliminatecauses-2