Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diet and Lifestyle

Options

Comments

• L-O-R-I
    L-O-R-I Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi GoKale,

I use my large roasting pan for making homemade granola. You can mix all the ingredients in the roasting pan and then put it right into the oven to cook. You aren't messing up a couple of mixing bowls and cookie sheets. It allows for easy stirring while cooking, as opposed to cookie sheets that spill over when you try to stir your granola, leaving crumbs everywhere. You can make a lot of granola at one time too, so you can leave out a couple of weeks worth and freeze the rest in portions of a couple of weeks worth. If you do that ever 3 months, you will be using your roast pan 4 times a year! I have made large batches of granola and given it to close friends in an attractive container as a Christmas gift. It went over really well!

Another use for a good sized roasting pan is to cook a lot of corn on the cob at once time. Put 2 burners on at the same time to heat and cook the cobs. Works great when you are having guests and it's nice that you don't have to break the cobs in half, so that they will fit in a regular pot.

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited January 2020
    Options
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sweet-potato-black-bean-chili/

I made this recipe the other night and it is so good! I added some mushrooms and did not use cheese, but I think it is very easy to make adjustments to this recipe to suit you. If you google black bean and sweet potato chili you will find lots of recipes.

As for my roaster and carving knife, I want to thank you for chiming in with your thoughts. I have decided to donate these things. I am still trying to gather a bunch of stuff to make one big trip to the charity.

I hope everyone is doing well!

• cali58
    cali58 Member Posts: 92
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi everyone! I don’t post very often since recovering from TC chemo (er+ breast cancer) and cold caps, but find it very useful when I need to find an answer. Can any of you help me with information about organic, grass fed, chicken bone broth? I am going to have a face lift on March 5 and need to get easy to drink protein/nutrition. Chicken bone broth has 9 grams of protein per cup. I need protein to have a good and quick recovery from surgery. I was told at M.D. Anderson in Texas that I need to consume 50 to 75 grams of protein per day. I try to keep it at 50 grams per day. Any suggestion is appreciated

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited February 2020
    Options

Bone broth is very good for you, or were you wanting other high protein suggestions? Amazon should have organic bone broth or you can make your own. Get an organic chicken &/ or chicken parts (including meaty bones, plus feet etc, if organically raised. Simmer along with garlic, onion, herbs etc for several hours, then strain. I am sure lots of recipes exist online too.

For other protein you could look at Pea protein powder or organic whey protein isolate.

• cali58
    edited February 2020
    Options

Santabarbarian - Thanks for your response. I already purchase organic chicken bone broth at costco. I just wanted to make sure that it is OK for someone with history of ER+ breast cancer (twice). I could not find any information online.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited February 2020
    Options

I am not up on ER+ as I am TNBC but I believe it is very good for anyone.

• cali58
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks Santabarbarian.

Anyone with ER+ breast cancer, what brand of whey protein do you recommend? I use Jay Robb and Tera’s Whey.

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited February 2020
    Options

I use the organic Tera's Whey in my mid morning smoothie.

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited February 2020
    Options

Cali58 - You may be unaware that bone broth is highly contaminated with lead. See two short videos from Dr. Michael Greger's evidence-based site NutritionFacts.org

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-lead-is-in-organic-chicken-soup-bone-broth/

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/lead-contamination-bone-broth/

• cali58
    edited February 2020
    Options

RAH2464 - I like Jay Robb vanilla, but I read that they use milk from grass fed cows “when available”. Tera’s Whey chocolate with Frozen berries is my favorite. I don’t like vanilla so much. Recently I read a warning on the label of Tera’s Whey chocolate: “consuming this product can expose you to chemicals including cadmium.” It’s so hard to find something tasty that is good for you 😟.

Kayak2 - Thanks for the information on chicken bone broth. I had no idea!!!

• L-O-R-I
    L-O-R-I Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks, Kayak2, for sharing that! I wouldn't have expected that organic chicken broth could have high lead levels. We never stop learning and adjusting our diets, do we?

• kayak2
    edited February 2020
    Options

Yes - surprising what info is hidden in plain site, if one only thought to check. Other things one might not be aware of: Rice has arsenic (brown rice has more than white). Who knew? Then there is applesauce...full of pesticides....some of which are probable carcinogens, some of which are endocrine disruptors or neurotoxins. Sigh..... http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/food.jsp?food=AC

Also, here is a link to the latest dirty dozen and clean 15 list: https://blog.givingassistant.org/dirty-dozen-clean-15-list/

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited February 2020
    Options

Kayak, I didn’t know about rice and arsenic. I’ve been eating brown rice for 40+ yrs because all the health food folks told us it was better for us. This reinforces my thoughts that everything we do is a crap shoot.

• kayak2
    edited March 2020
    Options

Here is a link to watch an online award winning documentary about natural treatments and cancer. The documentary will be available on March 6 and 7 only (for free). Haven't seen it yet, but the remarks are all very positive. I have watched many of these documentaries and have always found helpful items to add into my life, so I'm always prepared with a pen and notebook. (Of course, one can always buy the documentary, but there is no reason to).

http://theintegrativeperspective.com/screening-enter-santa-fe-award/

• GoKale4320
    edited March 2020
    Options

http://theintegrativeperspective.com/

Kayak2 - thank you for that link. I looked at it and it sounds very interesting. Nathan Crane has written a couple books. The website above that I found through the link to the documentary has some snipets to the documentary (I think). If you scroll to the bottom, you'll see the first snipet about organic food and then more pages to click on. I watched a minute and a half video of Bill Henderson talking about the 3 big reasons people get cancer: nutrition, stress, and dental toxins. It appears the film will cover many aspects and includes many experts in each one. I wish I could watch this one tomorrow and Saturday, but I will be away from my computer. So hopefully, they will show the film again at some point.

• nonomimi5
    nonomimi5 Member Posts: 184
    edited March 2020
    Options

Veryinteresting. Thanks for sharing.

• kayak2
    edited March 2020
    Options

Go Kale - FYI: if you register to watch the documentary (whether you are available to see it or not this weekend) they give you a discount to purchase the documentary for $29 (normally $79). That includes a digital copy of the film (able to watch on any digital device), + an audio download + a written transcript. There are also two additional options for more money. For $49 you get all of the above plus a DVD of the documentary + some additional bonuses. For $99, you get everything in the $49 package plus 33 video interviews by some of the documentary participants, + the 33 downloadable audio interviews + a written transcript of all of the interviews + some additional bonuses. Thanks for the link to the snipets. Watched a few of them. Looking forward to seeing the documentary tomorrow.

• kayak2
    edited June 2020
    Options

A good talk with good dietary tips by breast cancer surgeon Dr. Kristi Funk.

https://www.facebook.com/JaneVelezMitchell/videos/...

• GoKale4320
    edited June 2020
    Options

kayak2 - what a terrific video. I watched the whole thing. So much great information- like reading a whole book on reducing recurrence odds. It’s great for getting myself back on track of following a healthy lifestyle. I’m going to look for Dr. Funk’s website Pink Lotus.

I miss reading this thread and wish it was more active. It’s such a can-do topic and full of hope.

• kayak2
    edited June 2020
    Options

GoKale - Glad you enjoyed the Kristi Funk video. I, too, found it to be a wealth of information which is why I shared it. Hope others get a chance to watch it. I also wish that this thread would be more active. Maybe I'll start posting some other interesting things that come my way. I watch lots of online docuseries on health, cancer, diet, etc., etc. Actually at the moment, I happen to be watching/listening to a Rich Roll interview with someone called Doug Evans, on sprouting. Never really considered doing this before but Doug is so passionate about it and it seems quite easy once you get the seeds....sunflower seeds or especially broccoli sprouts which, like broccoli, contains sulforaphane (anti-cancer properties) but even more so than broccoli. Here is the link if anyone is interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic8HCnzyDa8

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 80
    edited June 2020
    Options

I so needed to get back on this site; a wealth of information, positive attitudes and a great motivator. I didn't gain the quarantine-15, but I feel like I did. I think it was the lack of exercise. It is summer now, I have no excuse!!

We have been sprouting for 2 years, it's very easy. The link below explains the benefits of broccoli sprouts. I put them in salads, soups, smoothies or just eat plain. But, I have lost my organic seed supplier, so if anyone has a good source, please pass it along.

Stay safe and hugs to all!

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/broccoli-sprouts

• kayak2
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi L8Bllmr - I recall that the speaker discussing sprouts mentioned a company called Sproutman (in Danbury, CT) as a place to get organic sprouting seeds. Do you sprout in a mason jar? Sproutman sells a sproutbag which they recommend to avoid possible mold formation when using a jar.

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 80
    edited June 2020
    Options

Kayak2, thank you for the reply. I will try Sproutman. I do not sprout in a mason jar for the same reason you noted. I use trays.

• ButterflyLily
    ButterflyLily Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2020
    Options

Ladies, not sure if there a specific thread for sleep aids, but does anyone know what sleep aids are safe to take with Tamoxifen? I know Benadryl can lessen Tamoxofen's efficiency and i have seen a couple of places on the internet where it mentions Unisom (doxylamine) is not safe either. I tried Melatonin but gives me nighmares and i still wake up at 3am. So was wondering if anyone has found a good sleep aid that works and is safe to take with Tamoxifen.

Thanks & many hugs!Heart

• GoKale4320
    edited June 2020
    Options

Butterfly Lily - image

here are two different brands of tea that help me fall asleep at night. I can’t say if they interfere with tamoxifen or not.

If I wake in the middle of the night, I do the 4/7/8 breathing- inhale for the count of 4, hold for 7, exhale for 8. This mimics your deep sleep breathing and helps greatly to get back to sleep.

• GoKale4320
    edited July 2020
    Options

https://elynjacobs.com/2020/03/28/broccoli-and-watercress-sprouts-fight-cancer-2/

Here is a great article about the benefits of Broccoli sprouts and Watercress sprouts

And this article is about the benefits of rebounding on the lymphatic system

https://elynjacobs.com/2020/03/24/energize-the-lymphatic-system-and-bounce-cancer-with-rebounding/

I have been using my mini-trampoline a lot lately because it is something I can do indoors. My gym closed down for good so I need to find a new one. However, I am going to wait a bit longer until hopefully, I can just go back to the gym whenever I want and not worry about distancing.

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    edited July 2020
    Options

Sorry about your gym closing, GoKale! Was it a COVID-19 victim?

• mumzy21
    mumzy21 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2020
    Options

Sorry to jump in here, but I just cannot refind the posts on exercise and a exercise metabolism calculator that was posted somewhere on these 29 pages....gah! I thought I bookmarked links because maths are not my strong point, but noooo😭 Ring any bells???

I've been a vegetarian for 20 years and the last couple whole foods/fasting. The exercising bit I had skipped entirely....

Thanks for help!

• ButterflyLily
    ButterflyLily Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2020
    Options

Thank you, GoKale! I'll definitely try both teas. Hopefully, they'll be an effective natural sleep aid.

• GoKale4320
    edited July 2020
    Options

mumszy 21 - was it the METS table? I think it’s the metabolic equivalent thing? I will have to look for it either here or on the web. I remember conversations about it.