Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diet and Lifestyle

Options

Comments

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited August 2019
    Options

Below is a link to another 8 day free online cancer series of lectures that started today, 8/15. Each day's lectures are available online for 48 hours, then they disappear (unless you choose to purchase the series). Some very good/well-respected speakers are included..... Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Ben Johnson, etc. Some good dietary advice...

http://globalcancersymposium.com/index.php/day-1/?...

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 545
    edited August 2019
    Options

my issue with Chris is that he did not cure his cancer with just this stuff. He had surgery for an operable cancer. About 50% chance of life without recurrence. Versus surgery and chemo - about 70%. Half of people who did not have chemo would have survived as Chris did. Which is not highlighted on his website and so it is misleading in my opinion.

Not knocking down the message , just pointing messenger shortcomings which may result in the message being discredited.

• DorothyB
    DorothyB Member Posts: 143
    edited August 2019
    Options

Anotherone - I agree that the cancer tumor was removed w/ the surgery and, like all of us, he then would have a chance of recurrence. I would never forgo surgery to follow his plan. I probably wouldn't forgo radiation (even though my lymph node was clear) to follow the plan. I did opt to forgo chemo due to the limited amount it would help me - and, instead, am looking for ways to change my diet, exercise habit, emotional state of mind, etc in order to help me be among those who don't get a recurrence. I do think that a lot of what he has said so far is correct as far as health benefits and matches w/ books I have read, info from integrative doctors, etc. I haven't watched his first diet module yet - will do that in a few minutes. I'm also not following anything 100% - I had 2/3 of a can of Dr Pepper earlier this week and a handful of Ruffles chips w/ my lunch (which included apple, carrot sticks, gouda cheese & peanut butter), but if I know what is good, then I can make better choices most of the time. Instead of a Dr Pepper several times a week, I can limit intake, etc.

• exercise_guru
    exercise_guru Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2019
    Options

I have that Chris Beats Cancer on DVD but haven't watched it. In my opinion he has gone a bit extreme on not working with conventional medicine.

I really really like this book

The Cancer Survivor's Guide: Foods That Help You Fight Back

It follows the power plate plan

inplatev2339_0.jpg

I combine this with mushrooms, Broccoli sprouts, and other power foods from Dr. Greggers Nutrition facts.org site.

The food has variety and is gets easier the longer you eat it.

My favorite menus for whole foods plant based are Power bowls and Power Wraps/sandwiches. They allow me to make all kinds of combinations . I can scale them to one serving or to my whole family. I do asian bowls, curry, tex mex, you name it.

This is the cookbook that I love the most that inspired me for power bowls. The title is not the best but the content is amazing

The Engine 2 Seven-Day Rescue Diet: Eat Plants, Lose Weight, Save Your Health Paperback – December 31, 2019

A few other websites I use for Plant Based Power bowls but google has so many good recipes and ideas you will get hooked pretty quickly.

30 Plant-Based Power Bowl Recipes to Fuel You Through Your Day

20 Plant-Based Bowls Under 500 Calories

27 Tantalizing Oil-Free Vegan Bowls from the Plant Based Dietician

• exercise_guru
    edited August 2019
    Options

My favorite person to watch on youtube is a different "Chris". She is a female with incurable cancer. Her name is Kris Carr and she is amazing. She produced that "sexy" cancer series and she inspires me and has brought an energy into my healing. I love love love her as a public speaker. If you are ever feeling down just watch her on youtube. You will feel your life change.

Here is a link to her Channel KrisCarr I heart her so much.

Here is Kris Carr interviewing Chris Wark ...lol like a mashup interview but I loved this one so much. It changed the way I looked at cancer and introduced me to Kris Carr

Cancer Prevention & Healing Tips | Kris Carr Interviews Chris Wark

Back to Chris Wark: To be a bit negative I feel like the Chris beat Cancer Chris has helped a lot of people but he has a very mono view of the subject. I really liked these two interviews he did though regarding breast Cancer survivors. Even though in the one interview of the women with inflammatory Breast cancer, he constantly questions them why they did Chemo.....The content is really really good. I just ignore some of his anti-medical bias. I remind myself that he is just trying to figure this out like everyone else. If you goolge Chris Wark and breast cancer you can watch him interview many BC survivors and I always learn something. Here are a few I liked.

Jane Mclelland interview. I own her book it is VERY VERY interesting.

Jane McLelland Interview | How to Starve Cancer with Off Label Drugs

Also this one isn't bad either

Breast Cancer Survivor Story: Beating Breast Cancer with Alternative Therapies (Jessica Richards)

My other Podcasts I love for inspiration and motivation and dang good information are the Rich roll Podcasts. Here he interviews My hero: Valter Longo Who is just an amazing researcher of the Fasting Mimicking diet and Cancer. He is studying the effects of fasting on Cancer and is very motivated to help Cancer patients combined with conventional therapy. Love this interview and love Rich Roll

Live to 100: Valter Longo, PhD | Rich Roll Podcast

• DorothyB
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thanks exercise guru :)

I just requested The Cancer Survivor's Guide from my local library. Won't be able to get it until next Friday as I am out of the country right now, but it will be waiting for me.

I'll look at Kris Carr when I have faster internet connection.

I agree Chris Beats Cancer is a bit too much anti-medicine, but still has some good info.

• anotherone
    edited August 2019
    Options

thank you very much ladies.

Those resources will be studied once I finish "the truth about cancer " book.

Yes Kris Carr has been mentioned to me already by someone , I glanced at videos , nodded and went onto other things- will look it up again. Jane McLeland book thoroughly enjoyed, I am now on a protocol of repurposed drugs.

50 essential things you can do by Geeg Anderson is a bit simplistic but an easy read and has the same message.

• DorothyB
    edited August 2019
    Options

There are some good videos here about the benefits of exercise, weight management, etc, etc.

https://www.mdanderson.org/research/departments-labs-institutes/programs-centers/integrative-medicine-program/conferences-events.html scroll down to lecture series videos (and don't forget to click more to see more :) )

• exercise_guru
    edited August 2019
    Options

anotherone

You should start a stand alone thread on that book. I would love to discuss it and I have been coming two other members using it

• anotherone
    edited August 2019
    Options

the truth about cancer you mean?

• kayak2
    edited August 2019
    Options

Just came across this interesting website, with lots of evidence-based articles.

https://foodforbreastcancer.com/news.php

I've read lots of articles elsewhere about the anti-cancer benefits of certain foods (cruciferous vegetables, mushrooms, onions, green tea, flax seeds, etc., etc) but carrots is a new one for me.

https://foodforbreastcancer.com/news/carrot-consumption-linked-to-reduced-risk-of-breast-cancer

• DorothyB
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thanks Kayak

• Staceybee
    Staceybee Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2019
    Options

To get your 150 minutes of weekly cardio, I recommend trying spin classes. I was diagnosed at 52 and never regularly exercised. When I asked my oncologist what I can do to prevent mets other than take the anti-hormonals, she said she tells women to lose weight and exercise. Spin is great because the instructor makes me work much harder than I ever would on my own, the music is distracting and it is much better on the knees vs. running. And because you have to schedule in advance and reserve your bike, it forces you to show up. Yes there are some 20-somethings in the class that are killing it but I just do what I can do. The age range is from 20s to 70s and everyone races their own race. Added benefit, toned legs!

• kayak2
    edited August 2019
    Options
  • moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited August 2019
    Options

exercise_guru - thx for the book recommendations for the power bows & wraps. I need that as we head back into the school year and I'm brown bagging meals that have to be gulped in <10 minutes in between classes or patients. I'm always needing more ideas. It's the sauces/dressings that seem to be a key ingredient - do you find that? I have the carb+protein+veg combos I like but I find mixing up the sauces is key to adding variety

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2019
    Options

DorothyB--I read this book and LOVED it. It has research backing it and really explains WHY these foods work to beat breast cancer:

The Whole-Food Guide for Breast Cancer Survivors: A Nutritional Approach to Preventing Recurrence

Got it from Amazon.

• pipers_dream
    pipers_dream Member Posts: 187
    edited September 2019
    Options

I have been so busy in the past year that I didn’t even know that the original thread had disappeared and I’m very sorry for it because I had intended to get in and copy all those recipes and links but I procrastinated. Let that be a lesson to me!

Here’s a couple of things I posted:

First of all, I love to bake and I always keep a jar of sourdough....I even kept some going for several months while traveling in a van. If you google or go on Pinterest, you can find directions for how to make sourdough, and supposedly it makes bread more digestible and now I always use organic flour because a doctor told me that problems people have been having with gluten are really more problems with glyphosate, which also causes breast cancer btw. It takes a couple of weeks to build up a starter culture but takes less than a minute a day of work and all you need is flour and filtered water. Just mix up a couple of tablespoons each of flour and water and cover loosely and leave out on the counter and wait 3-4 days until it begins to bubble slightly. Then begin to feed it each day 1 T each of flour and water for a couple of weeks. About every three days discard about half and keep feeding. In a couple to three weeks it should be quite lively and bubbly. This means it’s ready and should go in the fridge when not in use.

For pancakes, the night before, put 2-1/2 cups flour, 2 cups water and 1 cup starter into a big bowl and cover loosely with a towel or a plate on top. The next morning you add 2 eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Also, 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Let sit ten minutes before cooking...I like to cook in my cast iron skillet so I use that ten minutes to heat up the pan. When the pancakes are full of bubbles they’re ready to turn. You can create all kinds of variations and I use organic whole wheat flour these days.

My favorite bread recipe isn’t really a recipe at all, but the night before I bake, I put into a bowl....2 cups water, 2-1/2 cups flour, and 1 cup starter, just like for pancakes. At the same time feed your starter some flour and water before putting it back into the fridge. Then when I’m getting ready to bake, I start adding things to my bread. I have quite a collection of things like seeds, nuts, dried fruits and other healthy things. I add a couple of tablespoons of butter or coconut oil. Vanilla or almond extract. A bit of honey or stevia or maple syrup. A banana or two or some leftover oatmeal or quinoa along with some chia seeds or dried coconut. A leftover sweet potato or some grated carrots. I’ve used hemp seeds in the past too. Honestly it’s an entire meal when you get done. Don’t forget the spices because they are so good for healing cancer, especially cloves and cardamom. Then add a couple of eggs and 1 teaspoon of baking soda and enough flour to bring it to the consistency of banana bread—sorry I can’t be more specific than that but it really depends on what you added in there. If you’ve never made banana bread then find a YouTube video, or just know that banana bread batter is thick enough that it’s hard to stir with a spoon but not impossible like bread dough would be. Let sit about 30 minutes before baking and thenBake at 350-400 till it’s done. I have sometimes miscalculated this but it’s still good....again it depends on what you put in it.

My favorite brownie recipe has no flour at all...it’s just 2 cups of cooked sweet potatoes, 3 eggs, about 4 squares of unsweetened chocolate or 1/2 cup of cocoa powder, and 1/4 cup of honey or about ten drops of stevia. I’m going to make them today and add some fresh ground cinnamon but of course you can flavor them any way you want. Bake at 350 till the smell envelopes the kitchen and you must take them out.

Again, sorry to not be more specific but these recipes are very forgiving and you can use what you have on hand. I’m guessing we all have quite a collection of nuts and seeds by now. Lol..

• exercise_guru
    edited September 2019
    Options

Moth

I really like the "well your World" sauces. I have also found some low sugar vegan sauces locally. for myself I can whip up something spicy with ease. My kiddos are a different story. My daughter can enjoy just about anything if she piles it in a tortilla, my son goes a long with it if I don't take away his ranch dressing ( has to be the real kind ) so its hit or miss around here. My husband is the difficult one as I lost my taste buds in Chemo and I can't seem to dial the spices in for his palate. I now just saute the veggies in the mildest seasonings I can and then encourage him to add on to meet his tastes.

I am hoping to sub in some soy curls to family recipes because they have a good texture and stick in your stomach longer. Higher in fat though so watch out if you are worried about that. Soy Curls are just dehydrated whole soybeans.

My favorite bowls are

Burrito - or Tex Mex

Indian- do that once a week

Thai-- so good especially as a noodle bowl

Stir Fry at least once a week.

Baked Potato Bowl.

I made a black bean mix with Butternut squash chopped up that was divine. I will see if I can find that recipe.

Also that same book ( 7 day rescue) has flats and sandwich ideas, Breakfast ideas, salads you name it. I learned almost anything could go in a sandwich, wrap or pita from that book.

The key is writing down combinations that work. Its easy to forget a great sandwich or noodle bowl if you don't write down the combination. They just don't feel like recipes.

• DorothyB
    edited September 2019
    Options

Pamela - thanks! I bought the e-book on Amazon

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited September 2019
    Options

Piper, those baking ideas sound really good. I often have a sourdough going as well. In general, anything that helps your gut bacteria be healthy is a good thing, and sourdough is part of that. I make pancakes with oats and just a tablespoon of wholewheat flour. I flavor them with cardamom, lemon zest and add chopped walnuts as well.

• DorothyB
    edited December 2019
    Options

Juana, I personally wouldn't be able to get enough protein from a vegan diet and getting plenty of protein during recovery is highly recommended. The most highly recommended diet is one that is very much plant-based and does not include eating red meat every single day. I'm still figuring out how to do a more plant based diet. A person could do a "mostly vegan" diet and include chicken, red meats, etc a few days each week and probably do quite well.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited December 2019
    Options

The diet recommended by the Integrative oncologist I consulted was "whole foods pescatarian" with *zero* simple/non-nutritive high-glycemic carbs (flour, sugar, white rice, white potato) and favoring low-glycemic fruits. Deep sea fish is the healthiest animal protein food; Omega 3 eggs (not huge amounts) are good too (but not too many). He said very SCANT red meat and dairy, Organic/grass fed only.

Here's how you plan meals: "what 3-5 fruits and vegetables shall I eat?" Normal dinner is a sweet potato, sauteed spinach & garlic, grilled eggplant, and dessert is an apple with organic no-sugar almond butter to dip it in. Or a giant salad with greens, beets, veggies & small crumbles of organic feta for flavor. I have dropped another 17 lbs since the 15 I lost during chemo and am 2 lbs from what my weight was in my 20s (I am 58). I feel energetic and fantastic! Not hard to eat this way, actually easy if you like veggies....

ROAST veggies in oven for much tastier brussells sprouts, broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, etc. Boiling/steaming ruins the flavor of veggies. Roast at 350 for about 25 mins....Use alliums (onion/garlic) and ginger root with a heavy hand. Mushrooms too. All are phytonutrient rich against cancer.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited December 2019
    Options

santabarbarian, I could move this direction in eating easily. My problem is my husband. :) No, actually, he's fantastic. BUT he's been diagnosed with a kidney sufficiency problem and has problems with potassium. So while I'd love MORE veggies, especially roasted, he needs less and they need to be boiled, preferably for a long time in a lot of water. :( Things I want to eat more of are actively bad for him. So we have to balance our meal planning, and frankly, stuff that is BAD for him is stuff we mostly don't eat anymore.

• 1redgirl
    1redgirl Member Posts: 94
    edited December 2019
    Options

Santabarbarian - I am IIB, grade 3 as well. This is my second bout of breast cancer. First time I was 40, second time 66. Both times I just consented to surgeries. This time I have radically changed my diet and lifestyle. Much of what you outlined in your post,I do as well. I lost 50 lbs since May 2018. While I was always pretty active, I am much more so today. I have read many helpful books about how to manage stress which I was never good at. I never slept well either and now make it a priority. I also fast. I honestly feel very good. I no longer have migraines, joint pain, and can sleep much better. I am currently reading a book call Eat to Beat Disease. Fascinating. I have just learned so much. The humans body is just amazing.

• exercise_guru
    edited December 2019
    Options

The diet that oncologist sounds like "whole 30"

I think "the longevity diet" by valter longo has better cancer research.

I think the protein is actually not true. I actually decreased my protein to less than 6o grams daily because it speeds up some pathways that promote cancer

I eat "forks over knives" with daily broccoli sprouts and mushrooms

Nutritionfacts. Org has awesome breast cancer resources

• DorothyB
    edited December 2019
    Options

Thanks exercise_guru - just googled longevity diet and am ordering book from my local library

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited January 2020
    Options

Not sure this is the proper place for this question but I will try it here since many people here have gone plant-based.

Thinking of tossing out my big roasting pan that I only use to roast a whole turkey in. I haven’t prepared a turkey since Thanksgiving 2017 because I gave up meat in June 2018.

Also thinking of getting rid of my electric carving knife.

Can you think of any reason I should save a roasting pan or the electric carving knife?

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited January 2020
    Options

If you ever need to cut a thick piece of foam rubber (like used for upholstery padding,) the electric carving knife is the best tool to do that. I can't think of any other reason you'd need one. Even if you did need to cut meat some day, you could use a regular knife.

For the roasting pan? I don't know. Does it make any sense to roast a lot of vegetables in one? Normally they get spread across a cookie sheet or in a shallow baking pan, not piled in a roaster. So ?? I can't think of why you'd need one.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited January 2020
    Options

My friend who is vying for Marie Kondo's understudy told me her personal rules were: Do I use it? If I changed my mind later, could I replace it at Goodwill for under $20?

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited January 2020
    Options

get rid of it. You’ll probably never miss it! The use it or lose it rule.