Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting December 2018

Options

Comments

• kber
    kber Member Posts: 243
    Options

Heading out for Taxol / Carbo 10 of 12 shortly. Will remember to ask for additional hydration at the end. Two more after today - the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!

The weather here in NJ, on the other hand, is grey and cold for mid April. Spring, where are you??

My weekend mini goal: get enough rest so I canactually stay up long enough to watch Game of Thrones on Sunday!

Happy Friday everyone!

• nanette7fl
    nanette7fl Member Posts: 412
    Options

Kber..glad your attitude is so about finishing!!

• BeckyJL
    BeckyJL Member Posts: 81
    Options

Kber, That light is going to keep getting brighter and eventually, Spring will show up (I hope!) Grey and dreary mostly here in Michigan too, but warmer.

Also looking forward to watching GOT Sunday!

• BeckyJL
    Options

Hi All! Hope you all had a good weekend and are feeling better than you have been feeling!

Newish topic - I got my script for Latisse for eyelashes and will start using it tonight. I read a bunch (there's even an older forum on her from 2011-14 on the topic) and feel pretty good about trying it. Hair on the sides of my head coming in strong, a lot thinner/shorter on top which has me very worried - but what can I do.. . None of the nails have actually fallen off yet so still pending on that front. No eyelash or brow improvement either, but hopefully the latisse will work wonders. From what I've read I may start to see noticeable growth in two to three weeks.

Fatigue is lessening, but I had a tremendously busy weekend which wiped me out completely, so not starting the work week that strong or enthusiastically, lol. And it snowed. Again. Ugh I'm so tired of actual and metaphorical winter!!!!!

Love you all sisters!

• AngieInAmsterdam
    AngieInAmsterdam Member Posts: 120
    Options

Becky, let us know how it goes with Latisse. Quite curious. I’ve lost nearly all eyebrows and eyelashes. A few are determined to hang on. But still 4 more rounds of Taxol to go, so no expectations. Have also heard that the lashes/ brows will come in and then fall off again. Not having lashes and brows gives the impression that I’m sicker than I really am. But I’m feeling better than I have in awhile.

Gearing for round #8 today.Sending everyone lots of positive energy.

• BeckyJL
    Options

Good luck Angie! You look great. Is that a boxing glove? Had one of the few eyebrow hairs I have left give up this morning so apparently, two months post chemo, I'm still not done with the fun hair loss.

I've heard about the falling out again too, but what I read is that when you stop using, your lashes revert to their "normal" state. Chemo isn't our "normal' state so what I read was it "may" help our lashes come in a bit quicker and thicker, but if you stop using it, you may see some loss as they revert to whatever they were before chemo. The latisse studies have been done on eyelash problems for other reasons, but apparently haven't been done in relation to loss of lashes due specifically to chemo. But the literature said it had "positive" possibilities in this area. So what I took away from it all, won't hurt, might help, no guarantees of anything.

I'm seeing more and more fuzz, thicker on the sides still than the top which is worrying. I absolutely hate the way it looks even more than I hated being bald. But here's to hoping it fills in ok.

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,803
    Options

I had my first sauna today. Doctor gave permission to do one just before each infusion. I am thinking it applies to Herceptin as well as Taxol. I was concerned that I didn't sweat much, but she said that it is because of all the toxins in my body, as I continue (price is reasonable), I will be sweating more. This is infrared sauna. I am hoping that it will also help with my depression, as sad tears release some sad chemicals from the body, and I have dry eyes. Chemo tears happened, but they are not sad tears. I even tried to think sad thoughts whenever I had chemo tears, but there was no increase.

• kber
    Options

Becky - we have a similar "look".  My goose down fuzz is starting to thicken and darken a tiny bit, but I still look like the baby chicken hawk from Loony Tunes.  (My Mama done told me to get something for dinner!)

MC - I was thinking of trying infrared sauna post chemo - I think I'll ask about it when I go in this Friday.  Let us know if you see benefits?

I lost the very last of my lashes (brow and eye) last weekend, but now have some tiny white fuzz where my eyebrows were.  Maybe a sign of things to come?  My friend gave me a tube of Rodan + Fields eyelash serum.  As said above, I put it in the category of "probably can't hurt, so why not".  Other than it's expensive.  If I don't see any results by the end of the tube (60 days worth), I won't continue with it.  

• mcbaker
    Options

Don't worry, there will be an update every three weeks. I am feeling good today.

• Flower216
    Flower216 Member Posts: 87
    Options

Becky and Angie...you look great!!!!!!!

I lost every single eyebrow and about 90% of my lashes.Two weeks ago they started growing in, but I still use eyebrow powder to "draw" my eyebrows in. My hair is growing in soooo slowly, but its opposite of what most people have. The hair on top of my head started coming in before my sides. THis is going to be a long process but at least its starting!!! 

Feel good everyone!!

• anx789
    anx789 Member Posts: 233
    Options

Hello ladies!

McBaker - Me too had my first infrared sauna today, 4 weeks post final chemo. I was in there for 35 minutes, I didn’t sweat as much as I want to and I came out feeling exhausted.

My arms and legs are still sore and weak but my watery eyes are improving. I saw my Onco today and I will be starting Tamoxifen tomorrow. After all the possible side effects he told me, I’m not looking forward to it.

I lost half of my eyebrows and my bottom eyelashes. I don’t see any fuzz on my head yet but I feel some velcro when I touch my head.

Take care everyone

• AngieInAmsterdam
    Options

Becky- looking good! Your hair is growing back nicely! I’ve heard that for some the sides comes first, and for others, the top. I’m just starting to see baby fuzz sparingly. A few on top, and only a very few on the sides. Very strange though, they are very long strands, be it only two or three. And yes, that is a boxing glove. I haven’t gone to my body combat or boxing classes since surgery nearly 7 months ago. I really miss it. Since now I’m counting down chemo rounds, thought I’d bring it out for motivation.

Mary and Anxious, great that you did sauna. It will take the body a little getting use to the heat. Generally, I’m very hydrated before sauna. I’ll have about 1.5 liters of water beforehand, since usually I gym before sauna. Hydration helps with sweating.

I never knew about chemo tears. Now it all makes sense. After my 3rd AC treatment, had my first Reiki session. Was a bit skeptical, but wanted to an alternative approach to energy healing. The moment the practioner started the music, and I was relaxed, tears immediately rolled down my cheeks. I had no control over them. I wasn't even thinking about anything. Streams of tears would continue throughout the session. All 45 mins. I felt a little embarrassed. But afterwards, there was a sense of relief. I continue Reiki sessions about once a month. Helps to clear my mind a little.

Flower- I’m with you on losing nearly 90% of brows and lashes. Wish I were good at drawing on brows. They just never look quite right.

One more month of chemo to go. It’s been a long 5 months ofAC-T. Looking forward to getting some normalcy back.

Wishing everyone well!

xx

• mcbaker
    Options

I drank 32 oz of water before, and went in with another 16 oz bottle, went to gym just after, and the bottle was finished by the time I had walked my mile at 2mph.

Gym is just across the street. Sauna is in a beauty shop.

My brows are a reasonable facsimile. But I do have some very pale hairs to guide me.

• BeckyJL
    Options

Reading about brows made me laugh at myself a bit today. My biggest problem with drawing on brows is getting them even and arched the same. Sometimes I look surprised (both brows arched too much), sometimes I look skeptical (one brow arched more than the other) and sometimes I look rather picasso-ish, lol. Sometimes, I get it right.

• kber
    Options

Becky - I'm with you.  I'm terrible at drawing in brows and now that I have absolutely no guidance, frankly I've given up.  I just pull my hat down a little lower.

Just yesterday I've noticed some white fuzzies where my brows used to be.  If they grow in just a bit thicker, maybe I'll at least get my guide lines back.  And hopefully they don't stay snow white forever!

• kber
    Options

I'm definitely feeling my anxiety peeking as I approach my second to last chemo.

I'm tempted to break into my unused medical marijuana stash.  Previously, I went through the hassle and expense of becoming a registered medical marijuana card holder, only to find it didn't really help with my nausea like I'd hoped, so I have small stash of stuff I have no interest in.  (Was never a user anyway, but thought I'd try it as it got pretty good reviews.)  But cannabis is supposed to help anxiety, right?  At least when it's not fueling paranoia. 

I've hardly had a drink this whole time (because ick), but here it is at 10:00 am and I'm wondering if a small glass of cognac would be helpful later tonight.  Up until now, I've simply avoided drinking because I am nauseous and nothing tastes good and the thought of a glass of wine literally turns my stomach.   But I also know that the chemo drugs are tough on my liver and kidneys, so why make them work any harder than they already are.  But now?  I'm kinda thinking I could use a drink!

I have a prescription for Ativan and I have used it upon occasion, but it's not something I made a part of my regular routine.  That said, I had two yesterday, which is unusual for me.  (I got a 20 pill prescription 5 months ago and have 15 pills left.  Well, 13 after yesterday.)

Yep - my pre-chemo anxiety is definitely peaking this week!  Only two more to get through.  Perhaps I accept this is short term and just roll with it. 

A friend helped me download a guided meditation app.  Maybe I'll give that a shot.   

• BeckyJL
    Options

kber, I don't know if this would help, but do you have someone who might go with you tomorrow, talk with you, help you keep your mind off of everything? Or maybe you need this person this afternoon. Have them help you/keep you company while you pull out outfits to go on your trip to see your son. Then see what you might still need and do some online shopping with you. Basically someone to distract you. Go to a movie. Pick an event, concert, theater show you might want to see in the future and look for tickets together. Check out all the summer festivals and fairs in your area and talk/plan trips to attend some.

All the chemical solutions sound fine and if they work, great, but a fall back might be distraction. Do something with someone to distract you? I'm a stranger and not close, but I'd be happy to video chat with you if you think that might be interesting. PM me and I can send you my cell number.

I'll be thinking of you and am available most of tomorrow too if you need someone to chat at!

• kber
    Options

Hi Becky - you are so very sweet!!  As it happens I called my Mom and she's coming to stay with me tonight and will come with me tomorrow.  She, my daughter, and I are going to make chicken soup and chocolate Matzo cake for Passover.

I also messaged the clinic's psychologist and she's going to stop by tomorrow to chat while I'm in the chair.  It's probably a good idea to have some coping tools in the toolbox besides chemical ones. 

From past experience, Thursdays (pre-chemo) are much worse than my actual treatment day, from an anxiety perspective. I only have two more to get through, including tomorrow.  Then I can go worry about other things.  :)

(Also probably going to have a sip of cognac while we cook as that is my family's time honored tradition.  Happy)

• AngieInAmsterdam
    Options

I don’t know why it’s so rare to encounter someone who is also a cancer fighter/ survivor. Maybe everyone’s wearing very convincing wigs, or is it that I’m in my own world and just don’t recognize it.

But today, as I was at the grocery store with the hustle and bustle of a holiday weekend shopping; waves of folks randomly passing by as if we were on a train, and out of the blue, a little girl of 8 or 9 yrs old caught my eye. So I said hi. And she looked up, smiled surprisingly back and replied in like. For a split moment we completely understood each other. She in her cute pink head scarf, and I in my white knit beanie cap, with just a smile, we shared a bond of sisterhood that we were in this together.

Sometimes it’s nice to have these small reminders of how truly interconnected we really are.

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend, and happy Easter to those celebrating.

xx

• mcbaker
    Options

Heart

• kber
    Options

Angie - that happened at my daughter’s holiday concert. I was in the line of people streaming into the auditorium and this woman was in the line streaming to the bathroom. I was wearing my beanie and she had extremely short white hair, even though she was probably well under 45. Our eyes met and she briefly touched my sleeve. She said “Your in the thick of it. It gets better.”

No idea who she was, but she’s kin

• AngieInAmsterdam
    Options

kber, yes! Absolutely the same! We are all kindred spirit. ❤️

• Flower216
    Options

I ran out this morning to go to radiation then I picked up a cup of coffee. As I was about to pay, the guy (about 40 yrs old) behind me said that it would make him happy to buy me my coffee. I thanked him and he explained that his mom is having a very hard battle with breast cancer, and he has so much respect for all the people fighting with her. There are some special people in this world!!!

Happy Holidays my friends!!!!!!

• mcbaker
    Options

At the gym today, a man began talking with me, telling me about all the people in his family who have died of cancer. The woman just behind him told me that her daughter gets her last Herceptin next month. She gave me a lot of encouragement to stay with it.

• kber
    Options

My nurse practitioner floated the idea of a blood transfusion to address worsening anemia. Anyone have any experience with that

• kber
    Options

So a somewhat eventful weekend.  I had uncontrolled nausea and vomiting for the first time in this 5 month journey, leading to urgent care visits Saturday, Sunday and Monday for rehydration and medicine, including a potassium drip.  All a bit weird as nausea has been under control all this time and then boom!  Honestly, I suspect food poisoning or the flu as it was so out of the norm.  

Anyway, we added another Neupogen shot to the mix hoping to boost my pathetic WBC so I don't have to delay my last chemo.  Fingers crossed that it works!!

• nanette7fl
    nanette7fl Member Posts: 412
    Options

kber so sorry you were so sick over the weekend. I do hope you are feeling better now and on the recovery road.

I have great news ya'll.. PET scan showed no evidence of METASTATIC disease!! I'm clean!! Whew!!! Now just to stay that way

• kber
    Options

woohoo, Nanette! ThT is amazing news

• Flower216
    Options

YAY NANETTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• AngieInAmsterdam
    Options

kber, hope you’re on the mend since the weekend.

Nanette, that’s such such wonderful news!!