Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2019 Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• applejuice
    applejuice Member Posts: 49
    Options

I just started on this forum and wanted to say hi and thank you, I am learning a lot and getting help on what to expect.

I was diagnosed at the end of Nov last year, with tubular cancer, small tumor on the lower side of left breast, had MRI which showed a larger area of precancerous cells and upon speaking with the surgeon i came to realize i wanted both breasts removed. I will have reconstruction with expanders at the same time.

On Jan 23 i had the nipple spare surgery, sentinel lymph node biopsy (which came back negative) and i felt this was a first easy step. Will have the MDX on Feb 1st.

I am not sure i should go on the February Surgery Support Group or should stay here.

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Got my lymph nodes mapped today. It wasn't bad at all. I was done in less than an hour. It hurt a little, but within a few seconds the pain stopped.

My parents made it into town. We will be going out to dinner tonight. Surgery tomorrow, just waiting anxiously for the call letting me know what time tomorrow.

Everyone having surgery this week, I am sending you all good thoughts and positive vibes! See you all on the recovery side!

• mactaz
    mactaz Member Posts: 592
    Options

conniepaints, congrats on the good news, will be thinking of you this week.

• mactaz
    Options

Applejuice, welcome to the January group. I would call you a member of our group and then youould also join Febs group also. We will be thinking of you on Friday and I did add you to our list. And congrats on the good news regarding your sentinel node biopsy

Notgivingup, have a great dinner and enjoy.

Thinking of you all this week.

• beingpositive
    beingpositive Member Posts: 70
    Options

Mamihen, Notgivinup, Conniepaints,Lindzfay, wishing the very best for surgery tomorrow. More strength and power for this stage of the fight. You all will be in my thoughts.

Mactaz, good to know that surgery went well. Wishing speedy recovery.

Hope everyone is hanging in there. Hugs and peace

• Jacy
    Jacy Member Posts: 8
    Options

Finally got my path report. The margins were clear and the lymph nodes negative. I’m so grateful. Next step is with the oncologist on Thursday. Best wishes to everyone.

• alto
    alto Member Posts: 82
    Options

Congrats, Connie and Jacy!

Cascadians, I had three surgeries with steristrips and felt nervous about my first shower each time, until after the shower. The steri strips are quite good and hold up through weeks of showers. Just keep the direct shower stream off them (stand with your back to the stream), don't scrub them (just let soapy water fall over your shoulders) and pat them dry when you're done showering. I only had one drain, but pinned it to a lanyard and it wasn't in the way and did not seem to be impacted at all. My drain was secured to my skin with plastic stitches and that all stayed in tact.

I'd say shampooing and conditioning can be the biggest hassle. It's hard to get your arms up. Sometimes I'd have help with that first (leaning over the tub) then do the rest of my shower. Skip shaving anything the first week or two, or however long you want, it's too much trouble and the reaching/twisting might cause pain.

It might all be a little awkward and slow at first, but gets easier in a few days. It's wonderful when you can get closer back to showering normally.

Thinking of all the Wednesday surgeries & wishing them a smooth process and recovery.

• Cascadians
    Cascadians Member Posts: 72
    Options

Alto, thanks for the advice, makes me feel a lot more secure.

• FlowersBaseball
    FlowersBaseball Member Posts: 2
    Options

First post here!

Had my surgery on January 17th. BMX. Expanders put in. Maybe the first saline will be put into one of the breasts today, not sure.

Still have drains. Used to them. Mostly off pain medication. Larger and non cancerous breast is severely bruised and swollen, yikes. I’m applying neosporin to the wounds on both breasts. The cancerous breast had DCIS and twenty years back, it went through a lumpectomy and radiation. I’m somewhat anxious about how it will expand. My plastic surgeon is a very negative personality so I always feel worse when I leave him.

I had the surgery at noon and was home at 730 pm that night which was somewhat crazy. But all in all I am doing well. My armpits are very sore. Hard to lift things and reach.

Hope everyone is well. Flowers and baseball right around the corner!

• mactaz
    Options

FlowersBaseball, welcome to the group. Glad to hear you made it through surgery and are on the way to recovery. We have a great bunch of ladies here who are very supportive. Have you got your path report? Hope all goes well.

Jacy, congrats on your clear report, I'm very happy for you.

To update you I was feeling pretty good until around 2PM yesterdaythen wham, the pain rolled in. I have been able to control with oxycodone so far but hoping it will taper off so I can use Tylenol. I think the nerve blocker was working until then, I was wondering why it didn't hurt more.

You gals are so lucky yo be able to shower, my PS said only “bird baths", I call it a sponge bath, until drains are out.

My biggest issue is how helpless I feel, not something I deal with well, poor hubby. Feeling better this AM, will stay up for awhile and do my exercises so I can recover as quick as possible, but being realistic. Am worried about constipation so am going to get more fiber foods to add to mirolax and senna. Those are what helped me dur8ng my chemo.

All take care and BEST WISHES TO Mamihen, Conniepaints, Notgivingup and Linzfay for their surgery today. Hugs

Betterdazeahead-CSRoberts-Applejuice-thinking of you three. Try to enjoy the next day, or two for Applejuice. Know that we are there for you. Hugs

Hope everyone else are continuing to recover and feeling better. Stay strong and hugs to all

• Cascadians
    Cascadians Member Posts: 72
    Options

Breast surgeon just called with my pathology report. 2 tracks of lymph vessels running out of left cancer breast: they took first sentinel node from each track. 1 lymph node had .6mm micromet of cancer; other lymph node clear. Tumor itself only had .2mm cancer left from 1.8cm. So no radiation but they will hit it with Kadcyla and 10 years of hormone blocking pills. Kadcyla improves survival 50% for Her2+ patients. So good pathology report. Chemo almost completely did away with the cancer yet I qualify for Kadcyla. Will do everything "natural" possible to eradicate this cancer.

Good luck to everybody with your surgeries, pathology reports and next steps attacking the cancer. This is quite a battle we all have to fight.

• applejuice
    Options

Thank you for all the encouragement!

I was wondering if I will get a surgery bra after the DMX+TE or I should take with me to the hospital, the mastectomy bra that I purchased, and they will be putting that on after surgery? The one I purchased doesn't have the drains hooks (which I found helpful) and I feel is less comfortable comparing with the surgery bra I got from hospital after the nipple-spare surgery.

The surgeon advised if everything goes as planned, I will be in the hospital one night only and next day I can be discharged. How long was the norm hospital stay for most of you?

• mactaz
    Options

cascadian, congrats on your path report, you have had a tough journey. I have read good things about Kadcyla, you will kick butt as you are such a strong lady.

Applejuice, I went home with the surgical bra they put on me after surgery. I bought some sports bras that clip in front and will take those with me to my PS appointment on Friday. That’s when I think I will be using the ones I purchased. My PS said don’t bother with expensive surgery bras, sports bras work just as well. The drains come with clips so they will arachnid to any garment. I was in the hospital one night and was out by 10:30AM next morning. As long as you have your pain managed and no complications that appears to be the period of time for most..

So far today, no oxycodone, just Tylenol. I’m still sore but it is manageable. Also tired,but getting up regularly just to get moving around.

All take care

• yogamom2
    yogamom2 Member Posts: 64
    Options

MACTAZ so glad you're doing well. Not helpless just using all energy doing the hard work of healing. Cascadians congrats on good report. Hope all are doing well from surgery today & all this week.

RE: my post on hard, tender (now swollen) area. Into everyones life a little glitch must happen, luckily it's a very little glitch. Finally heard from BS office. Saw her today and to those who suggested a healing ridge along w/ seroma, fluid build up, water balloon....BINGO! She was going to drain it but did an ultrasound and decided, unless it gets bigger, it could wait for a bit to see if it resolves on it's own. I will be so grateful if that will be the only glitch. Still waiting for Oncotype report & visit w/ RO. Patience....should be a four letter word.

• borogirl
    borogirl Member Posts: 30
    Options

Applejuice - Ask your PS. Mine sent me home wrapped in a 6” wide ace wrap and at 9 day post op appt had me start wearing front close sports bra. I asked about after exchange surgery, and he does the same thing for that.

• mactaz
    Options

yogamom, glad you finally got some info and it wasn’t to serious. I’m hoping it will just resolve by itself

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Good Morning Warriors!

My surgery went really well yesterday afternoon. My surgeon informed my family she only took one lymph node. I was able to come home after surgery. I am beyond happy. We got home around 9:30 last night. Now it is time for me to relax and let my body heal.

Hopefully all my sisters in surgery are doing well. I hope everyone is healing well. To those having today, good luck and see you on the recovery side!

• mactaz
    Options

Betterdaysahead and CSRoberts, thinking of you today, good luck with your surgery. Hope all those from yesterday are doing well

Notgivingup, glad things went well, relax and heal at home.

• Lindzfay
    Lindzfay Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you. Surgery went well and they only removed 2 lymph nodes. I spent the night but should get to go home today. Just trying to keep my pain under control and trying to remember not to use my right arm. Now the waiting on pathology game begins. Thanks for your support 💕

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    Options

Yogamom2 - I am actually scheduled to have my swollen area checked by ultrasound tommorrow. I've had colorfull hematoma on the right side almost from the day of the operation. Drains were working ok, last one out was on the 29th. But the swollen area is still there, but at least not as colourful. Just very swollen. So I wonder what the ultrasound shows tommorrow....

• mactaz
    Options

Well gals, my doc called and I had a PCR from the chemo, no cancer remaining, wiped clean. I'm a bit shell shocked, so many months of bad news to finally have great news.

What would I do without you, thanks to all and I'm sending out all good vibes to everyone.

• jaboo
    Options

MACTAZ 💃💃💃💃💃

• yogamom2
    Options

MACTAZ Hooray! Congrats! I second Jaboo's happy dance, my computer has lame emoticons. It's all the positive energy from this wonderful group you started, so many good results! Hope you continue to rest comfortably and heal quickly.

Jaboo Good luck with the ultrasound. Hope yours too can just resolve over time. Apparently both seroma and hematoma are not all that unusual, was told decision to drain or wait depends on size.

Good wishes for the last of Jan surgery sisters today. May the vibes be with you!

• applejuice
    Options

MACTAZ what a relief! Enjoy all the good news! You did a great job!

Thank you all for the good wishes, my surgery is tomorrow very early morning, check in at 5AM. I think it will go uneventfully and then i'll look forward to get the pathology results. Should be out of the hospital Sat and ready for the Superbowl on Sunday ( haha, that was a joke, of course, i don't think i'll care much about the game)

I looked back to the initial biopsy pathology report and it says ER+ > 99%, PR+ > 99%, Ki-67<1% , I guess i am a person of extremes... Have you ladies seen other discussions about ER, PR > 99 %?

• CSRoberts
    CSRoberts Member Posts: 10
    Options

So amazing to log in and see all the good news for everyone this week!! I think we finished January strong 💪! I had my surgery today and am home resting~ everything seems to have gone well (I was scared about anesthesia but seriously do not remember a thing!). Thank you all for sharing your experiences and being so supportive~ it has made all the difference in the world 💗.

• mactaz
    Options

Applejuice, good luck tomorrow, will be thinking of you and sending god d vibes for great path

CSRoberts, so good to hear things went well for you, rest, take care and will be sending you good vibes for a good path result. It took several hrs for me to come down off anesthesia, my husband told me about conversations I had but I don't recall.

Lindzfay, hope you got home today and happy the surgery went well. Hoping your path comes out with good results, the waiting is tough.

I go see the PS tomorrow for post-surgery follow up. I will be honest and say I'm nervous to see myself after, it will be a shock I'm sure. I don't think I will get drains out yet, one is about 18ml a day and the other over 35ml. I now understand why everyone is so happy to get these drains out, what a pain. I'm not sure if I will be able to use one of the bras I bought or stayin the surgical bra, it isn't very comfortable.

All take care, one more warrior headed to surgery tomorrow then we are all in recovering stage. Take care, we have all been through so much-who says women aren't tough. Heart

• jaboo
    Options

Yogamum2 - my seroma is apparently of the same family like yours. I went to see a surgeon on my PCP's bidding. The surgeon (not my BS) thinks the seroma is large, BUT since 1. it is not painfull (zero pain when he poked it thoroughly), 2. it's not warmer than my overall temperature, 3. it's normal colour (as in - it's loosing its various shades of violet evenly), 4. I don't run a temperature or feel unwell - - he thinks we shall leave it alone and see if it resolves on its own. I am to come back should it become larger, redder or should I have a fever.

Did you receive any instructions concerning the swollen area? Anything to help it resolve itself more quickly? I was told to continue with mild compression and that I also could try cooling it a little (carefully). Any ideas?

• yogamom2
    Options

Hi Jaboo, Your situation sounds just like mine, although mine is moderate size and yours sounds bigger. Mine is also tender so I was told ice for the discomfort , compression, and to make sure not to strain (by lifting more than 5 lbs) or overstretch that side. Other than that to be patient and call if any symptoms you mentioned arise. She did say it could take more than a month or more to completely resolve......yay.

Hoping yesterdays surgery sisters are doing well. We're moving from Jan surgery support to Feb recovery support! Best to all

• mactaz
    Options

hi guys, saw PS today, so far all looks good. Went from surgical bra to a sports bra I bought on Amazon for $8.50. PS said would work well, if interested is fruit of the loom woman’s front close buildup sports bra. It is comfortable.

Take care all, Applejuice hope you are home and relaxing.

• WandaLee
    WandaLee Member Posts: 5
    Options

I had my lumpectomy and sentinel node dissection 8 days ago. I was sent home with a drain for the lymph node area. I have very little drainage but a good amount of pain in my arm and armpit. The incision on my breast has not been painful at all. Has anyone else experienced nerve like pain following SND? If so, how long does this last and is there anything I can do to alleviate the pain? My surgeon has my arm in a sling with restrictions of 1 lb and no movement of the affected arm.