Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2019 Surgery Support Group

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• PRides
    PRides Member Posts: 9
    Options

I'm new to this group. I had BMX with prepec TEs and 1 Sentinel node removed on 1/2. I have been dealing with fluid around the TEs for about 5 weeks. Just found out my left TE is leaking, having it replaced today. I have followed the rules, laid low even though I am a 30 mile/week runner. Anyone else have this issue?

• mactaz
    mactaz Member Posts: 592
    Options

PRides, so sorry to hear you are having issues. Hopefully others will come in. I had my surgery on 1/28, single MX with TE. I haven't had to many issues, had pain where the fold was reconstructed but that is it. I have had 5 expansions and have reached my max point. Hope you are feeling better today after it is replaced.

You may want to post this as a new topic to see if others will comment

Take care

• alto
    alto Member Posts: 82
    Options

I don't have any thoughts/advice PRides, but I hope your doctors can get you back on track soon.

Today I've been having a little stabby pain on the medial underside of my mastectomy scar. I also noticed there appears to be some swollen tissue there. I hope it's just irritation. I have a follow-up with my doctor next week, and will at least get it looked at then. It's hard to know what's normal pain and abnormal pain sometimes. :P

I need to fix my Dx footer.

• PRides
    PRides Member Posts: 9
    Options

Had my left TE replaced. Surgery went fine, good amount of pain at the incision site though and a new drain. But, I'm more expanded now than before surgery, My PS described it as dealing with a flat tire, "fix the flat and move on". Left is 160cc's off from right but she'll catch up. So, not as tragic as I was expecting....

• mactaz
    Options

PRides, glad all went well.

Alto, absolutely agree with you, what is normal pain due to TE versus what is something to watch out for, always seems to be some funny twinge here and there.

Was wondering for all that have TE, as you continue to get expansions does it feel rock hard and also extend further over by your arm and armpit. Mine just seems to be very wide and hard

• mactaz
    Options
    Hi all, Not sure if any of you are or will be getting radiation but SantaBarbarian from my chemo thread has found a fabulous product for rads skin relief. A lady she met in the waiting room at rads told Santa her MO had recommended it. It's called CamWell Herb to Soothe, and it was formulated by a RO. Natural ingredients. Santabarbarian tried it and said it does work well. She had used natural products which helped a lot but her redness/itchiness was gradually increasing. She said this stuff is better... Her redness went down by HALF from using it last night for the first time. It's expensive: 25 bucks gets you a small tube, the size of a larger Neosporin, but it is *super* effective. Just ordered three more.
  • alto
    Options

I see my MO for the first time this week. I hope it's a good appointment!

It's weird to just be seeing an MO now, but I think because they found only once cell that looked early-stage microinvasion, I ended up with surgery first, with a plan for longer-term treatment later.

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    Options

I had my checkup with the BS today. I'm 6 weeks out from surgery. My hole in the left scar from last week has healed nicely, I was babying it while on vacation. BUT there was still a left-over crust on the other side that I didn't like, felt weird - as if on water, not on skin. So the surgeon took it off and discovered the skin underneath is not healing properly. He had to put some stitches in, it felt like he was doing embroidery on me 😀 Good thing that I don't have any feeling there. Still no expansion. I am actually beginning to like my small foobs - I have 60ml in from the operation. On my small body, they look quite OK (the real ones were very small too).

We spent a week on a skiing vacation abroad and it was wonderfull. The skiing was beatifull and freeing. I didn't find it too strenuous. The packing and unpacking was way worse.

• mactaz
    Options

alto, hope all goes good with you OC.

Jaboo, I’m glad the surgeon took a look, that would be scary if it went much longer without them finding out. Also happy you went on vacation and had a great time. Sounds like fun.

I saw my PS today, no more expansion for me, we are at 450ml and I like the look. Smaller than my natural best so will get a reduction and lift when they do the implant. Will be scheduling soon, probably early April sometime.

Hope all are doing well

• Schatzi123
    Schatzi123 Member Posts: 1
    Options

MACTAZ, I had my BMX on 1/8, have been doing fills just about weekly since beginning of February and I am 20 ccs short of 450. Mine are hard as well, like two heavy grapfruits suctioned onto my chest wrapped in a steal bra is how I like to describe it....my arms also brush up against them as they have meandered out to the sides as well. My surgeon won't schedule my permanent transfers for a sollid three months so it's mid July for me...

• mactaz
    Options

Schatzi123, hope you are doing well. Seems like my PS did my fills quickly, I think I only had a total of four after surgery. He put in 150 when he placed the TE. I had my preop appointment today and asked him about the side boob. Not so concerned about the lower part but it seems to be high and wide. He said he first does the reduction and lift on my natural breast and then will place the implant. He said he would typically tuck down the upper pocket to form a breast the looks more natural and closer to natural breast. I have three weeks before my surgery and I’m ready to get this done.

Stay in touch and if you have any questions let me know. You can private message me if you like. Take care.

Haven’t heard from many of the January surgery sisters, hope all are doing well

• Cascadians
    Cascadians Member Posts: 72
    Options

Hi all. 9.5 weeks since my quadruple mastectomy. Man that was hard. I'm doing better. No reconstruction. Couldn't have handled that.

Got cording in left armpit/arm where they took out 2 sentinel lymph nodes. It's like having an alien spider take up residence in your body and weave webs and cords of tight painful strings and knots all throughout armpit and arm down to fingertips. Going to a physical therapist who is very good and massages and stretches the arm / cords. It's not nearly as bad now.

The super tight corset of thorns bisecting my torso aka incision is lessening its grip. Some hours I don't even feel it at all. Other times it gets very tight with a lot of pain. I massage the scar with taxus brevia salve, also Vitamin E and Emu oil. The scar has not adhered to anything thank goodness.

Busy losing weight and starting more exercises to strengthen arms and reduce tummy fat. On Kadcyla chemo 1x/every 3 weeks. Kadcyla is exhausting with some side effects the first week after infusion. It is given to Her2+ with any residual cancer after surgery. Hoping it utterly destroys every possible cancer cell if any are left in body.

Found my upper chest above incision gets cold and gets muscle spasms so wearing tank tops to keep it warm plus a lot of fleece. Have not been wearing any breast forms. Do have 3 camisoles with felt stuffing that work well. Not ready for 'bra' fitting yet, scar too raw, area too sensitive. Discovered my many sports bras actually fit really well now, like snug tank tops. Bought 3 sew-in pockets for when I do get fitted for lightweight forms. Will never get heavy silicone ones. Will probably just go flat and fabulous the rest of life.

MedOnc wants me to start Letrozole, the estrogen blocking drug, soon. The side effects are terrifying -- bone loss, high lipids, more aching, etc.

Many days I just want to stop everything, call it all off, play hooky and try to feel normal. However the consequences would be too dire.

Damn cancer. At least the intense surgery is behind me. I'm still so grateful to be rid of those drains! :-)

• mactaz
    Options

Cascadians, it is so nice to hear from you. I was wondering how things were - sounds like you are on your way to recovering from your surgery. I think you had the toughest but so glad you are feeling better. Hope you Physical Therapy continues to help out, I know we were both worried about the node extractions.

I started on Anastrozole which is also an AI which does have similar scary side effects but so far, been on it for 7 weeks, I'm doing good.

Hang in there and thanks for the update.

• Cascadians
    Cascadians Member Posts: 72
    Options

Mactaz I always look for your updates. Glad things are moving along for you. Glad to hear your AI isn't bothering you after 7 weeks! Encouraging.

Good luck with your next surgery. Prayers for you.

• yogamom2
    yogamom2 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hi all, Glad to see my Jan surgery sisters are healing well. So many of you had a much longer and tougher road . I was incredibly lucky to have a very small area of DCIS, a wide clear margin of 5 mm and a very low Oncotype score. After meeting with BS, RO & MO it was determined to place me on 'active surveillance" , very close monitoring that allowed me to avoid both RT & HT. There are risks either way but the MO said there was no statistical advantage between risk of recurrence and risk from therapy, so hopefully my journey is done and there won't be surpises ahead. Wishing all of us a long healthy path forward, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and saying my prayers.

• mactaz
    Options

yogamom2, happy for your good news. It is a bit scary once you get through treatments and don’t see your doctors regularly. You have to reset your thinking and try to move forward without those weekly or even monthly dr visits. Take care, so happy for you

• yogamom2
    Options

Thanks Mactaz wishing all the best for you and everyone on this forum. Blessings.

• mactaz
    Options

thank you. I do have a busy three weeks, I head to surgery on Friday to complete reconstruction; TE out, implant, and lift and reduction on natural breast. It is funny how I’m a bit more nervous this time versus my initial UMX. Then the following week is post surgery appointment and my annual physical. Then the week after that is appointment with OC, bloodwork and my next infusion. I have 5 remaining then I'm done. I was put on anastrozole about 2 months ago and am working through those SE. I’m excited about getting finished, but as mentioned I’m a bit nervous about the ‘after treatment’ mindset. Just trying to not worry to much.

All take care. Hope everyone is doing well.

• yogamom2
    Options

MACTAZ, Thinking of you today. Hope your surgery went well and you will soon be finished with this part of the journey. Heal well.

• alto
    Options

Sending good wishes, MACTAZ, and hoping the recovery is quick

• mactaz
    Options

thanks to all. I’m home and certainly seems like a piece of cake compared to the MX. I’m close to being done with all treatments except for daily AI pill am happy about it. It’s been a long journey for us all Hope all are feeling well.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

bravo Mactaz!!!!

• mactaz
    Options

Thanks SB, I'm hoping your recovery is on track. Are you done with all your treatments?

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Yes and I even feel NORMAL now! I see my MO Monday for first checkup. I think I am in good shape! Its a bit weird shifting out of "treatment" gear and into "normal" gear....xxoo

• yogamom2
    Options

Congrats MACTAZ!

• mactaz
    Options

Thanks. Yogamom2.

• yogamom2
    Options

Not sure if anyone is still following but.......1 year out....Mammo & U/S both clean! Follow up w/ breast surgeon went well, will see yearly from now on. She did say protocol now suggests genetic testing for all BC including DCIS as they have identified multiple genes that increase risk. Anyone else have this recommendation? Did you have the testing done? Results? tx options? Thanks!

• TrishaFL
    TrishaFL Member Posts: 19
    Options

I check back in on occasion to see what others are up to.

Glad your scans were good.

I had genetic testing done in the beginning. Didn't test positive for any of the ones they test for even though I have a family history of BC. If you can afford it genetic testing can be a helpful tool.

• alto
    Options

Congrats on clear scans!

I had genetic testing, as I had a rare diagnosis of Paget's (no real logic to that), and more relevant, had some gaps in my health history on my dad's side (too many boys, early deaths of women in childbirth). Have since discovered more cancer in my family, but I did not test positive for BRACA or PAL B, etc.

My dad recently got on the high-risk list after a colonoscopy, and they recommend all first-degree relatives get an early test at 40. We're all over 40–and I was so hoping to delay colonoscopy until 50. :-P.