Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2019 Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• CSRoberts
    CSRoberts Member Posts: 10
    Options

Thank you MACTAZ! Sending positive energy to you for tomorrow and Monday

• PaulaAtlantaGA
    PaulaAtlantaGA Member Posts: 65
    Options

Feeling low - my exchange surgery was Monday, Jan 20. I had a lot of fat harvesting and grafting with colorful bruises all up my back on both sides. I'm still not able to do much . . . we walked maybe a quarter or 1/3 mile today and I was in the car for maybe 45 minutes. Home in pain.

Anyone else have such trouble, not with exchange sites but with fat grafting/harvesting? I am 64, so there's always the age thing . . .

Thank you,

Paulal

• Lindzfay
    Lindzfay Member Posts: 3
    Options

I’m scheduled for smx on the 30th with sentinel node biopsy and expander placement.

• alto
    alto Member Posts: 82
    Options

Thinking of you MACTAZ and wishing you the best!

Paulal, I didn’t have a similar surgery, so I can’t offer any advice, just sympathy over how slow this healing process can feel sometimes. I had three visitors on Friday (busiest day since my surgery) and needed a three-hour nap today.

Welcome Lindzfay - there’s lots of good support here.

• Jacy
    Jacy Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi CSRoberts, I’m almost a week ahead of you. I understand your fears and felt the same. I had a lumpectomy with 3 nodes removed last Wednesday. Honestly, I’m slightly tender but no pain. I have to remind myself not to over do it. I am not taking anything now, not even Tylenol. What helped me most is frequent icing and wearing a wireless supportive bra even when sleeping. I’m still waiting for the path report and that is probably the hardest. I will see the oncologist on the 31st and can finally get a plan for moving forward. You will find so much support in this community. I’ll be thinking of you next week and all my new friends here recovering or preparing for surgery.

MACTAZ so appreciate you starting this discussion. I know you’ll do well.

• mactaz
    mactaz Member Posts: 592
    Options

Lindzfay, Welcome to our thread, there are a lot of ladies here that understand what you are going through and very helpful and supportive. Looks like you were just DX, so if you haven't done so already, try and read through the past comments or search on issues that you are interested in. I found in the beginning I didn't even know what questions to ask so I just read through several of the different threads and it really gave me a good sense of things I need to ask or wanted to understand..

Hugs.

• mactaz
    Options

Mamihen (Liv), Notgivinup, Conniepaints, Lindzfay, Betterdazeahead, CSRoberts - just wanted to say good luck and sending you all good vibes for your surgeries this week - I will be right there with you.

Hugs to you all and stay strong. We will all make it through this and come out at the other end healthy.

• mactaz
    Options

Well, I'm headed to my nuclear medicine appointment today and I guess I'm feeling okay about it. Lots of good advice, I will slather up with EMLA cream to help with the needle pokes. I read that for more intense pain, EMLA cream actually works its best if on for 2 hours. This is good for me because I live about 1 1/2 hrs from the hospital - so perfect. Many people say it is just like a bee string, but I hate needles so any pain freaks me out - hence the decision to use EMLA.

Tomorrow my husband and I will take off at 4:00AM to arrive at 5:30AM - my surgery is scheduled for 7:00AM. I'm hoping the surgeons are fully awake at that hour - LOL. I'm mentally okay today, ready to get this over with. I will be in the hospital for one day then home on Tuesday sometime.

All take care -

• Mamihen
    Mamihen Member Posts: 10
    Options

Mactaz-

good luck to you today, sweetie, and tomorrow. Thank you for starting this thread. You always have kind words for all of us.

Stay strong, you got this!!

xo

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    Options

Mactaz, they start early where you are! I remember lying on the operation table last Monday, 8:05 AM. My BS came in and asked how my sleep had been... I said "that's not important, but how did YOU sleep?" He said "Terribly, couldn't close my eyes at all!" Well, I did find it funny and actually wasn't expecting any other answer 😀

Unvelievable, it's been a week since my operation. I feel quite OK. My hematoma is loosing some if it's many colours... I have just this one weird pain by my breastbone. My back is quite ok now (it hurt very badly right from the tine I woke up.) I take a pain med only for the night and it's just because this spot by the breast bone. Like someone stabbing me there! And only when I'm lying down. When I sit or walk - the pain dissapears. Weird.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

MACTAZ deep breaths! You will be fine. You are a warrior. I am thinking of you and sending you healing energy.

• Cascadians
    Cascadians Member Posts: 72
    Options

Mactaz and all, best of luck and surgeon skill with your upcoming events. It really is a relief to be on the other side of surgery and you are almost there!

• beingpositive
    beingpositive Member Posts: 70
    Options

Ladies, I received my path report and it is all clear! I am healing better day by day. Still have back pain, but managing it with Advil.

Mactaz, Mamihen, csroberts and all who have surgery this week, wishing the best for all of you. Good vibes and strength to all

• CSRoberts
    CSRoberts Member Posts: 10
    Options

Thank you, Jacy! So glad to hear that you are recovering well and not in pain- it helps me to focus on where I’ll be in a week! Stay strong while waiting for report (the waiting is definitely the hardest part). Sending so much positive energy to everyone for this week

• yogamom2
    yogamom2 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hi MACTAZ Hope your procedure today went well. You and all having surgery this week, are surrounded by so many loving thoughts, good vibes and prayers for comfort, healing and excellent outcomes. We're with you in spirit as you have been for those of us now post surgery. Heal well warrior women.

Congrats BeingPositive on a clear path report. January surgery sisters have been lucky that way...hope it continues for this weeks group. Stay strong.

• mactaz
    Options

Beingpositive, congrats on reviving an all clear report, I'm so happy for you.

Yogamom2, I made it through my shot today. I smeared EMLA cream all over and luckily only had one shot. While the EMLA cream helped for the needle stick, I don't think there is anything to help out when they inject the isotope. It hurt, owwwwwwww, but as all had told me it doesn't last that long so I had overthought it, just not that bad. The unknown is what drives me crazy, I really need to learn to relax.

Thank you all for your support. For some reason I'm not freaked out about tomorrow, I just want to “get er done". Take care all, 🤗

• yogamom2
    Options

MACTAZ Glad part one is done. You will rock part 2 tomorrow. We have so much in common...I also---fear pain (can't even watch it on a screen), am a huge needle stick baby, hate the unknown & lack of control associated with it and completely understand "get er done" mode. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. You have the only surgery on the 28th so all the prayers will be for you and your surgical team. You got this and this group you created is here for you!. Sending love, light and HUGS.

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Mactaz, positive thoughts for you and your surgical team tomorrow. I agree with you about getting surgery over with. I go Tuesday to nuclear medicine for my shot and surgery on Wednesday. Everyone keeps saying surgery is easy compared to chemotherapy. I hope so.

I tried negotiating with my surgeon about not staying in the hospital if my bloodwork for my liver enzymes after surgery is good. Don't know if she will allow me to go home, I do understand why they want to keep a close watch. My enzyme levels finally returned to normal. It took 2 months.

Sending positive thoughts to all who are heading into surgery this week and to those recovering.

• yogamom2
    Options

MACTAZ.....Sending good vibes

• beingpositive
    beingpositive Member Posts: 70
    Options

Mactaz, you are in our thoughts. Sending positive vibes and best wishes.

Notgivinup, good that enzyme levels are normal. Wishing best for the shot and surgery.

• alto
    Options

Thinking of you, MACTAZ.

Got the call today: my margins were clear. After 3 surgeries, I get a break - whew!

Next, I see an MO to talk tamoxifen for the other breast. But I have some time.

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    Options

alto, congrats!! 💃happy dance for the clear report. It was about time, wasn't it! phew, 3 surgeries in a month....

• alto
    Options

For me it was a surgery a month, 3 months in a row, but still glad to be done with that -I'd just about recover and have to go under again.

Thanks so much for the happy dance, JaBoo!

• Lilanj
    Lilanj Member Posts: 4
    Options

MACTAZ, wishing you good luck on your surgery and recovery.

I received my pathology report and there is no sign of cancer remaining after neo adjuvant chemo. 16 nodes removed all came back clean. One show scar tissue from cancer that was there previously.

My drains were also removed today. Glad to have them out. Dr. said if there is excess fluid build up then to just go in and she will drain it

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

High Fives to being positive, alto, & Lilanj!!

Sending MACTAZ some gentle hugs!

• mactaz
    Options
    Alto, CONGRATS on finally getting all clear, I’m so excited for you.
    Lilanj, neoadjunct kicked its butt, CONGRATS. Two more great results.

Things went well yesterday, back to my room by 1230. Had two sentinel nodes taken and TE put in. Docs said went as expected. BS did put blue dye in arm to map out lymphatic channel to ensure none of those were disturbed, this helps chances of not getting lymph edema. Apparently had good update of the isotope to identify sentinels.

They have been giving me herparin shots to thin blood so better chances of no bloodclots. Also had to take oxycodone 2x, but then went to xtra strength Tylenol early this AM. I will probably take another oxy before going home, long ride and getting a little sore now. But all, in, all not bad. Getting up out of bed is probably the worst part but tolerable. Also had to take zofran after dinner for nausea, but it helped and feel fine now. They gave me colace and I started taking stool softener before I checked in. Plan and taking senna when I get home, hopefully will work and keep me from stoving up. 😁. Haven’t had much drainage, I think that is good. Have follow up with PS Friday and BS following Friday. Hopefully will get path results before that.

Thanks for all your support, you all are peaches. Am thinking of all of the ladies going to surgery this week, you will do good, sending all my vibes and lots of, as SB calls it, gentle hubs. Also hope all that have been to surgery continue their recovery and are feeling good.
  • yogamom2
    Options

Well done MACTAZ! Hope you have a comfortable, uneventful ride home. So very smart to have taken the colace pre op to prepare for the SE of oxy. Will continue to send love, prayers and good vibes for healing & good path results to come. CONGRATS to Lilang and alto on joining the 'Jan all clear club'. With all the good news in this group I think those good vibes must be working. Jaboo---loved the happy dance for alto. : )

Sending hugs and healing to those recovering and even more to those having surgery tomorrow and Thurs. You got this!

• Mamihen
    Mamihen Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hello to all-

Yay for all with good path reports! Mactaz, glad all went well. Rest up!

Notgivinup, Conniepaints,Lindzfay- my Wednesday surgery sisters- good luck to you all. Hopefully you will be calm today and can go into the surgeries not too nervous tomorrow.

Betterdazeahead- CSRoberts, the last ones in our January group. Finish strong! You got this!

Talk to you all from the recovery side.

xoxo, Liv

• Cascadians
    Cascadians Member Posts: 72
    Options

Congratulations to all braving surgery and posting updates. What a relief it is to have that first bowel movement after surgery. I loaded up with Colace, senekot, water, and prune juice for 3 days before and still doing it after. Back to regularity, very important. Still taking Norco and Valium in low doses every 4 hours because of intensely bad reaction to chemo a month ago. But got 3x/dose Herceptin yesterday with lots of pre- and post-meds and all the slamming pain from previously and rotten side effects are gone. This means I can do the whole year of Herceptin, which is essential to beat the cancer, and be OK. Very happy this morning. Now real hope for survival.

Have a very long incision almost all the way around torso with dressing covered by tagaderm. Q-ball still releasing anesthesia to incision but ball of medicine is shrinking and won't last much longer. When it runs out, will gently pull the 2 long catheters out of body, remove all the other superficial dressings and finally take a shower. Have first post-op with breast surgeon on Friday. Will have her remove the mastectomy tagaderm and re-dress long incision which apparently is covered in steri-strips.

How long was it before you felt OK showering, and how did that impact your incisions? And your JP drains?

• Conniepaints
    Conniepaints Member Posts: 2
    Options

thank you all for all the information and prayers. On 1/24 I had the MRI biopsy for the “area of concern” discovered from the 1/4 MRI. Got the call yesterday that there was NO CANCER in that area so my lumpectomy and sentinal node surgery will go on as scheduled! I’m pretty relaxed now that I’m on dealing with one very small (9 mm) tumor.

Connie