Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2019 Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

mactaz - what was your RBC, WBC, ANC, & hemoglobin on your most recent CBC? How far do those numbers fall after an H&P infusion? PM me if you don't want to post the numbers here.

• Mamihen
    Mamihen Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hello, fellow January sisters-

Cascadian- I cannot even imagine what you must be going through. SO sorry!

Bird92203- I can totally understand that you are getting so scared and emotional. I am 2 weeks out and it's starting for me...

I am lucky that my BS referred me to the Center of Integrated Medicine and I've been meeting with a doctor weekly for accupuncture since last month. I do believe this has helped my body and me to stay calmer than I was before.

Additionally, we did a prep for surgery session that I would like to share here.

The doctor asked me to imagine myself in the wake up room. Who is there? What do I feel (what do I want to feel?). We created the image that when I wake up my husband will be there. I will be groggy but not nauseous. I will be calm and won't be in pain.

Then she worked on creating an image for one week post op. I imagined myself in the family room while my sister is cooking. The voices of my family are around me and I feel comforted that they are with me.

Lastly, we created an image of one month post op. She asked what I wished for. I replied that I would like to be able to take a walk around the house, preferably in the snow since I love snow. I am walking and I see the xmas lights still on the fence and I am comforted by the nature.

My homework is to listen to the steps of relaxation that she taped (cannot recreate as she is counting) and the 3 images that she recorded for me, twice a day , and especially when I start to panic.

Just thought to share this here since you all can perhaps work on creating these 3 images and situations for yourselves as well and practice them daily. Hopefully this will help provide a bit of calm.

Sending all the sisters on the recovery side lots of healing thoughts, and sending thoughts of peace of calm to those who are awaiting surgery over the next few days.

xoxo

• Hongh
    Hongh Member Posts: 51
    Options

I had blood test on 1/5, and no other test is needed.

Surgery yesterday, they used nerve blocker, so the pain is not too bad

Last night with the help from nurse I went to bathroom and passed out, my blood pressure was too low 45/64. They did a lot of blood test on me but couldn’t find out why, I am getting much better today. Because of this I get to stay for two nights.

They also did CT scan to rule out the clot in lung. Everything looks fine except some fluid there, which is normal after surgery. Also a little fever 99.4, which needs to be monitored. They give me some plastic thing to do the breathing practice 10 times an hour, that should help to get rid of the fluid. It really hurts when they moved me to the CT scan bed

• mactaz
    mactaz Member Posts: 592
    Options

Hongh, hang in there. I hope you get to feeling better, it must have been a scary day for you. Thinking of you, we are all here for you.

• Hongh
    Options

Thank you MACTAZ! Best wishes to you too

• yogamom2
    yogamom2 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hi all, A friend sent this info to me and though I didn't need it, I thought it might be helpful to others, especially those having BMX. https://www.therecoverychair.org.

Hongh, Sorry to hear you had a complication. Hopefully they have it sorted out and your able to rest. Thinking of you

• Jacy
    Jacy Member Posts: 8
    Options

I’ve joined the January surgery club. My BC was found on annual mammo in early December. I’m scheduled 1/23 for a lumpectomy with probably 3 lymph nodes removed. I had an US bx of the mass which was positive for IDC and one lymph node which was negative. There was another area near the BC that appears to be a calcification. But after my surgeon reviewed my case with the hospital tumor board, it was recommended I have a stereotactic bx this Friday which will give us the results prior to surgery. I’ve remained pretty calm but as the surgery date gets closer I feel myself getting scared. I’m not one to share my insecurities with strangers but there’s something remarkably comforting about this community. I am grateful to have found breastcancer.org. Prayers and positive thoughts to all of you. Thank you so much.

• mactaz
    Options

Jacy, I’m truly sorry you are in this position but welcome you to our group. I have added you to the schedule above.

You are right about this community, I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t found this group. People are so supportive and have given me the strength and courage to continue on through the journey. Also the information and stories of others experiences help guide you in this very complicated web.

Stay strong and don’t hesitate to reach out when you have a question or concern, or just need to vent. We are here for each other.

• mactaz
    Options

Alto, parchjen, how are you doing. Sending you 🤗 and and good vibes.

Beingpositive, will be thinking of you tomorrow and wishing the best for you.

Hongh, are you feeling better today? Hopefully your recovery will be fast and you can head home.

For all of you already through your surgery’s, hope you are all doing well. Hugs to all

• alto
    alto Member Posts: 82
    Options

Thanks, everyone. I am back at home after one night in the hospital. (I kind of miss the comfy, adjustable bed!)

Now I'm sorting through pages of info on meds, drain stuff, etc. I should have a visiting nurse coming by this week, too.

And, in between, I'm just entertaining myself surfing the web for new bras, forms, scarves, and such.

They sent me home with a Pink Masthead surgery bra with drain holders. Very comfy

I was telling my husband on the way home that I was so nervous before my surgery, and really, everything went fine and I'm feeling good.

Sending hugs to those with future surgeries!

Hongh, I hope you are feeling better soon!

Welcome, Jacy. Thinking of you and wishing you a good surgery & recovery

• mactaz
    Options

Alto, I so glad that everything went well - it makes us future surgery gals a little less apprehensive. Take care.....

• beingpositive
    beingpositive Member Posts: 70
    Options

Thank you all for your best wishes. I'm getting worried now. But do not have any escape option. So will try to go with positive attitude.

Alto, good to know that you are back home.

Hongh, wishing speedy recovery to you too

• alto
    Options

If it helps, in the days leading up to my surgery,I focused on the main goal of the surgery - to get the cancer out. It helped me to put aside my worries and focus on that.

The doctors and nurses will keep you safe and comfortable.

• Conniepaints
    Conniepaints Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi! I was diagnosed on December 12, 2018 and met with my surgeon on December 21, 2018. Lumpectomy scheduled for January 30Th. I had an MRI on January 4, 2019 and an area of concern was detected close to my existing 9 mm tumor at the 12 o’clock radian. The mri results state “1.9 cm linear ductal enhancement is seen along the 3 o'clock Radian middle depth. I don’t have any idea what that means. An MRI biopsy is scheduled for Jan 24th which may or may not affect my surgery. Only my left breast is involved my right breast is clear.

While I’m hopeful it definitely added a bit of anxiety to my situation. Sigh

• parchjen
    parchjen Member Posts: 3
    Options

I had my DMX with nipple sparing and immediate implants yesterday. They took 4 nodes out. My cancer breast is very swollen. I expect some swelling but it feels as my foob will pop. Does anyone have experience with this? PS-ladies I was so anxious and nervous and so far the pain and everything is so much better that I thought it would be!!!

• Hongh
    Options

Thank you all for your best wishes. I also did 3 sentinel lymph node during the surgery, and they are all clean. Now I just need to see the final report. I am allowed to stay in hospital for 3 nights.

The pain last night was pretty bad so I have to push the button on nerve blocker for extra dose.

I feel a lot of pressure on my boob, and it is really tight

Other than that, everything is fine.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Way to go brave Amazons! It is good to hear from you!

• mactaz
    Options

Conniepaints, welcome to our group but sorry you have to be here. I’m hoping your mri biopsy comes back negative for further cancer. I know how you feel, when I was first diagnosed from an ultrasound biopsy I had 2 tumors but they also did an mri a couple weeks later and determined I also had DCIS. It was stressful waiting to to get the results of the mri. Try to not stress out, although easier said then done.

Will be thinking of you next week and hoping for the best news.

• Hongh
    Options

I can go home today now, yeh!

The pain is almost gone, I can raise my arm 90 degree without any problem. I have 3 sentinel nodes removed.

My BS used paravertebral block with catheters(on Q pump), it release every 3 hours and you can do one extra boost within the 3 hours. It really really helped me. I was really scared before the surgery, but now 3 days after surgery, I feel I am already 80% recovered. 2 of my drains are almost empty. Another 2 is getting less every day, hopefully next week when I see the PS, they can remove that.

Ask your Dr if they can use that, my surgeon says they have been using it for 5 years, but not every place is using that.

• mactaz
    Options

Hongh, so glad you are feeling better. Congrats and hope all continues to go well. I also am sending good thoughts for a great path report.

• Hongh
    Options

Thank you MACTAZ, and best wishes to you !

• misha13
    misha13 Member Posts: 71
    Options

Hi January ladies!!

JaBoo! Alto! Thinking of you this week! Some other familiar names too!

Jumping over from the December surgery board! I had a BMX, straight to implant recon on December 26th. I’m at 3.5 weeks after and I feel pretty darn good. I have even returned to sleeping in my bed. I can’t lay on my left side because it hurts, but it’s still better than the recliner!

Take your pain meds if you need them and don’t feel badly about it. I took the narcotics for at least a week and then tapered down to none. At this point, I may take Tylenol or Advil twice a day, mostly just pain from the lymph node removal. I ended up having an ALND where they took out 9 nodes. They aren’t kidding that taking those nodes leaves you with pain and stiffness.

I only had drains for a week and a half and they are as bad as you think. Once they come out, it gets much better! Phantom boob pain is real too! And yes, take the colace and some Senokot for the times when you are taking the narcotics!

Good luck and God bless you all! Feel free to msg me if you have specific questions.

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    Options

Misha! Hi! Real thanks for this supportive and thoughtfull post. I am freaking out today, the whole weekend I am thinking of cancelling the operation! But of course, each time my thoughts get to the place in future when I might have a recurrence as I am at high risk (family history too). So then I get a fightfull attitude. And then again from the start 😁

I got to speak to a nice lady who is scheduled for the exchange operation tommorrow, with the same surgeon team. (I go first, she's next) So she had the mastectomy with expanders with this team some months ago. I am very glad I met her, because she looks quite happy with the result now and is looking forward to receiving the soft implants. I am getting the expanders put in but I certainly hope to be in her shoes in a few months!

• Hongh
    Options

I am five days after BMX with TE operation. I only need to take one Tylenol yesterday and the day before yesterday. Hopefully I don’t need to take any pain killer today. The first 3 days in hospital I used nerve blocker, which works great.

Don’t be scared, it’s really not that bad.

• mactaz
    Options

We have several ladies headed for surgery next week, I'm thinking of you all and my best wishes are headed your way.

Bellemire, Bird92203, Jaboo, Lilanj, Beepositive, Cascadian, Jacy, KMS2016

Hongh, glad you are doing so well.

• Cascadians
    Cascadians Member Posts: 72
    Options

I'm beyond terrified so want to thank everybody who's had their surgeries for the updates.

Mactaz you are doing a superb job encouraging this thread. Prayers for all!

• alto
    Options

In my experience, the anticipation and fear were the worst part. I wish that helped - knowing that - but it's hard to believe before surgery. I also feared how I would feel after surgery, without recon. Would I feel like myself? Would I be okay? Yes, and yes, so far.

I took Ativan (or even just half of one) on a few tough days before surgery, and that helped take the edge off. Relaxed breathing exercises and guided imagery helped, too.

Not having recon,I think I've experienced less pain in those days immediately after surgery. I took oxy the first day in the hospital, half of one the second day, and decided to try skipping it after that. I am just doing the nerve blocker and Tylenol now. I have one drain. I feel a few twinges there, but otherwise I'm good. I get fatigued faster. The advice people gave to 'listen to my body' hasheld true for both rest and meds.

Thinking of all the upcoming surgery gals and wishing you peace, strength, and the best experience.

JaBoo, finding someone who has been in your shoes is so helpful, isn't it? I ran across someone in my network who had the same doc, and it just made me feel so relieved, and not alone somehow.

Cascadians, are you a Washingtonian? I lived out there (west, then east, then OR) for a decade. Sooooo beautiful. I missed it so much for decades. :)

• debrac
    debrac Member Posts: 63
    Options

Hi, I’m joining the January surgery board too. My lumpectomy and sentinel nodes is in 3 days.

Jacy, we appear to be having the same day.

Thanks so much for all of you on this site. When I went for my surgery consult on Friday, everything he talked about was familiar from reading all your posts.

So far, every morning I wake up with a nervous stomach. It passes thru the day, but still there. Never had any surgery, so it’s all scary. Had my pity party crying session for the first time this morning. Now ready to get this treatment going. Not very patient and a planner type of person. I’m an thankful that my medical provider is jumping on this and moving things along quickly. Disgnosed Wednesday Jan 9th, 2 weeks later in for the lumpectomy.

Thanks again for all of you for posting your experiences.

PS Yogamom2 thanks for the Colace heads up, Ialready deal that issue and need to stay ahead of it after surgery!

• beingpositive
    beingpositive Member Posts: 70
    Options

Hello ladies, my BMX with Diep went well and I am home today. Had taken nerve blocker and managed pain. Now at home will see how it goes. Thanks to all of you for your well wishes and guidance.

Wishing the best to those who have surgery this week. Have faith in this journey and trust your docs.

• yogamom2
    yogamom2 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Best of luck to all having surgery this week and healing from last week. I have my post surgery follow up tomorrow. Stitches to be removed and pathology results/ next step discussion. I may be more nervous about this appointment than I was about the surgery. That had to be done and was "get in, get out, get it over". Still trying to think positive , visualizing a best case scenario. Fingers crossed.