Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting/declining hormone therapy Nov, Dec, Jan 2018

Options

Comments

• ghostie13
    ghostie13 Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2019
    Options

pebbles.....dosage of femara is 2.5, took at bedtime last night and felt a little queasy but that's it...

Wanderweg......Will try to get links later, on my kindle at the moment and is a pain in the rear to copy links. I just googled DIM vs aromatase inhibitors ..... lots of studies to sift through......but many supplement companies promoting its use for men and body building.......just made me wonder. I can see it's effectiveness in prevention, but too many questions about its use as a replacement for AI's....

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368
    edited January 2019
    Options

Regarding calcium supplements - I would suggest to do your research and be wary... Supplementing in larger amounts can make more harm than good...

• wanderweg
    wanderweg Member Posts: 487
    edited January 2019
    Options

Ingerp - I'm trying to do as much as possible through diet because supplements are not regulated by the FDA and so don't have to prove their claims. I've also read mixed things about taking calcium as a supplement. I found this helpful chart that gives calcium amounts in various non-dairy sources:

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    edited January 2019
    Options

I'm not sure how eating/drinking calcium fortified foods is any different from taking a supplement. I would think they're the same. Though I agree there is a difference between naturally occurring calcium in your diet vs. supplemental. I just don't think I'd ever get enough calcium on a vegan diet without calcium fortified plant based milks.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,944
    edited January 2019
    Options

RCCalimom, I can't take Prolia because I'll need one, possibly two dental implants, and you can't have invasive dental work while on it. Not sure if that's also true for Fosomax, haven't discussed it with any doctor yet. Unfortunately, I need to be tested for a metal allergy before implants, but can't get it authorized - my dentist said PC has to order it, and PC says dentist has to. So because they're both being morons, I get Tamoxifen instead of an AI. 😬

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thanks for that, wanderweg. Interesting about blackstrap molasses—I have some here that I was using as a sweetener for homemade granola. Hubs has read you can overdo calcium supplements (with possible heart impacts?) and I’ve read that while they do improve bone density they actually don’t help prevent bone fractures. I think I’ll stick with dietary changes for now.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,944
    edited January 2019
    Options

Ingerp, you can make a nice hot drink with blackstrap molasses, just add boiling water. It's kind of like the old coffee substitute Postum, but of course, sweeter than coffee. The only problem is calories - and carbs if you're diabetic or dieting.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    edited January 2019
    Options

Roger all that, Alice--thanks!!

• LPLlibrarygirl
    LPLlibrarygirl Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2019
    Options

i just read an article about a possible new drug for osteoporosis called romosozumab. The article is in a magazine called Women-Total Health and Wellness (Fall 2018) and titled "Is a New and Better Treatment for Osteoporosis About to Become Available?" I was excited at first and then read that the article mentioned the drug was originally denied approval by the FDA due to safety concerns. Not a good sign! It appears that the drug is the first of its kind and you can Google it to find out more. One site mentioned cardiac problems as a side effect and another said headaches and joint pain were SEs.

• beingpositive
    beingpositive Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2019
    Options

My MO also suggested calcium and D to help keep normal bone density. She also mentioned that too much calcium can cause constipation. 600 mg is what she suggested for me. Took my second lupron shot and taking letrozole. No SEs as of now and hope it continues.

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2019
    Options

I'm a bit off topic and late to the party but wanted to thank everyone (esp wanderweg, ingerp, rccalimom and InnaB) for the well wishes!

Heart

Slightly more on topic, I took naturemade vitamin D gummies during rads treatment (helps the skin) and just haven't stopped yet. They are in gummy form so yummy lol.

And ghostie thx for letting me know the dose and hopefully SEs subside for you! I was on 5 mg letrozole daily for 14 days or so during IVF treatment, it made me super emotional (had a good cry when they tried to draw blood from my arm and couldn't 'tap a vein' and I just broke down thinking this vein has had too much blood drawn from it in too short a time period) but other than that no SEs in those 2 weeks.

Off the letrozole now as that was just for IVF stims. Gearing up to start tamoxifen in a few days. Have a few days taking absolutely nothing, no pills, no shots, before I start a 5 year journey on hormone therapy. Domino demonstrates how I feel right now with this brief break from treatment!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2019
    Options

What a precious puppy!

Diane

• wanderweg
    edited January 2019
    Options

Pebbles - I started taking a gummy multivitamin and gummy biotin (for hair regrowth) during chemo because bigger vitamin pills made me gag. Now I'm hooked on gummies! I didn't know D came in a gummy form, but when I use up my current bottle, I'm switching. It's like candy I don't have to feel guilty about. You'll have to let us know how you do with tamoxifen. Looks like Domino has his eye on you. :-)

• pebblesv
    edited January 2019
    Options

wanderweg - OMG I'm hooked on gummies too! I agree, I can't take another pill, the vitamin gummies I enjoy having so I don't have to feel like I'm 'taking' something for treatment, it's more just vitamins for my health. We (my husband and I) like NatureMade and they seem to have everything in gummy form. We've had multivitamins, vitamin C, vitamin B12, vitamin D, fish oil, co-enzyme Q from Nature Made at different points in time so I know they make all of those (and they are delicious ;-P).

edwards750 - thank you! Domino is a sweetie! She's 12 years young now, still acts and looks like a little puppy

• kinderkel
    kinderkel Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi Everyone,

I haven't had a chance to get on here much lately. Back to work full-time and having to be the driver for my parents ,now that my Dad (92 years old) had to stop driving, is keeping me from my computer. I started letrozole on New Years Day. Today is day 15 -trying to force myself to walk after work each day because I hear that weight bearing exercise will help with side effects. I have a big birthday today....60 years old!!!!!!

• dani444
    dani444 Member Posts: 215
    edited January 2019
    Options

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KINDERKEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• hpfull
    hpfull Member Posts: 65
    edited January 2019
    Options

Happy Birthday Kinderkel🎈🎈

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    edited January 2019
    Options

Happy Birthday, kinderkel! I hope you enjoy your day.(And yes, moving around a little every day WILL help.)

• Wigging2000
    Wigging2000 Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hello, everyone!

Joining in to the party...I recognize some of you from Nov/Dec surgery threads. I’m about 5-6 weeks post op (BMX with implants one week post BMX) and learned today that I do not need chemo.

I will be starting Tamoxifen on Monday (going on a 3 day trip this weekend and don’t want to be battling or monitoring SE’s)!

I have a history of major depression so I’m going to be closely monitored for SE’s related to that and have permission from my wonderful MO to stop the drug if I feel myself sinking down the rabbit hole. I have a one month follow up scheduled to discuss whether I will stick with tamoxifen or move to an AI/ovarian suppression or removal of ovaries. I’m 45 so who knows what will happen in those 10 years!

So, I’ll be here along with you all. I’m trying to go in with an open mind hoping for the best as the preferred plan is 10 years of tamoxifen. I’ll be reading and catching up with all of your journeys so far. Thanks for having me!

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 226
    edited January 2019
    Options

I am taking my first Tamoxifen pill this evening, before bed. I'm starting with a half dose, and I'm going to take a half dose every other day for a week and gradually work up to the full daily 20. From what others have reported, it sounds like that can help with the side effects. I'm nervous about it, but reminding myself what it's for and how effective it is. I have also been actively seeking out threads and articles where people report feeling good on it. Sounds like the best scenario is that it could even improve my cyclical migraines, so I'm going to hope for that! Here goes ..

• umakemehappy
    umakemehappy Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2019
    Options

PurpleCat: I took my first dose on the 5th (so 10 days ago). I read that it's best not to cut these pills in half for several reasons, so I am taking the full 20mg dose every other day. Going to do this for a month or so, then go every day after that. (Didn't feel like asking for a 10mg prescription and getting the run-around ; ) Anyway, happy to report, no side effects thus far! (I take mine at night as well).

• Wigging2000
    edited January 2019
    Options

umakemehappy, glad to hear you are feeling good on Tamoxifen so far!

Purplecat, I am secretly hoping for help with my migraines, too. Hope it works out for you and I hope you have no or minimal SE’s. I know at least 2 real actual people who’ve had no problems at all! Everyone is so different with any drug.

My doctor did tell me I could cut and split my 20 mg pills into two doses if I wanted. Just throwing that out there. I’ve heard different things about this as well!

• pebblesv
    edited January 2019
    Options

Purplecat, wigging2000 and umakemehappy - I'm right here with you with the start on Tamoxifen around this time so we can track with one another together. Going to start my 10mg dose tomorrow night before I go to bed (I'm not cutting the pill, my MO prescribed it to me when I mentioned other ladies on these forums who started with 10mg and worked their way up to 20mg and how they were the ones doing better with side effects). How good to know that you know a couple other people who have had no SEs at all, and there's wanderweg in this forum who has also had no SEs on Tamoxifen. Here's to no SEs for all of us!

Kinderkel - Happy Belated Birthday!

Appreciate everyone sharing their experiences as we go along! Here are Domino and Kit Kat demonstrating how sharing is caring:

• LPLlibrarygirl
    LPLlibrarygirl Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2019
    Options

Happy Birthday Kinderkel! It's good to hear that you are doing well with your AI. I hope school is going well too. Kudos for making time to walk with everything else that you have going on. My 97 year old FIL is living with us temporarily, so I can identify!

Beingpositive, good news that you are not having any SEs yet!

Welcome Wigging! Are you taking an anti-depressant too? If so, I'm sure your MO has checked to be certain it's compatible with Tamoxifen. I know that some prescriptions, like Zoloft, are not good with Tamoxifen.

Good luck, Purple Cat! You've even found a silver lining in taking Tamoxifen (help with migraines). And good luck to you, Pebbles, when you pop that pill tomorrow! (Love the carseat.)

Umakemehappy, you're off to a great start. It's good to hear that all is going well for you and so many others. Anyone taking Arimidex? I think that was once mentioned for me. I still have another 3 weeks before getting to that point though.

Dani, you must be finished Rads now, right? Hope you are feeling well.

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 226
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Domino!!! And KitKat! They are the best cheerleaders ever!

My prescription came in 10 mg tablets, so I won’t have to try to cut them. Sounds like that’s a good thing. It wouldn’t have occurred to me to start that way until I read this board and found other people doing it. I really hope it helps us!
  • RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi Everyone. I started Tamoxifen on December 1. Only side effect I’ve had so far is an upset stomach. Otherwise things are good. Fingers crossed

• wanderweg
    edited January 2019
    Options

Rosie - we started Tamoxifen the same day! I’ve been saying I have no side effects, but I found myself wondering today if my general evening tiredness is related to Tamoxifen or still healing from chemo (I’m almost 11 weeks PFC). I’ve not had any stomach issues. Do you take yours in the evening or morning

• Wigging2000
    edited January 2019
    Options

LPLibrarian-yes! I’ve been on antidepressants for many years and thankfully the one I’m on is ok with tamoxifen. Very glad to not have to switch.

I’ve gotten through the first 2 pages of this thread. Lots of wise women here!

• hpfull
    hpfull Member Posts: 65
    edited January 2019
    Options

Purplecat I am starting tonight too :) I took 1/2 of a 20mg and will do that for the first month, then increase to the 20mg. I hope they help migraines too  Wigging that would be an amazing positive side effect.

Just read through this thread, it looks like a bunch of us are starting at the same time. PebblesV I am doing exactly what you are doing, in fact I think I read some of your stud before and this is where I got the idea so thanks :) 

RosieRed and Wanderweg I am glad to read that you aren't having an bad side effects. LPLibrary girl it is good to know that Tamoxifen doesn't react well with Zoloft.  I am not on anything currently, but have been very blue lately and have a feeling I might need to take something. I see a therapist on Thursday so we shall see.

Hope you all have a great night :)

• pebblesv
    edited January 2019
    Options

HPFULL yes that was me who shared the idea of 10mg first and work up to 20mg but I have to give credit to Michelle_in_cornland who actually did this and first inspired that thought for me! Happy to have you join our 'starting tamoxifen now' sub-group.

Purplecat - awesome you have the 10mg tablets! Me too. I make a mess in the kitchen when I cook so I’d never be able to cleanly cut the 20mg ones in half lol

LPlibrarygirl - thx! Here we go!

RosieRed - that's awesome to hear you've started a month and a half ago now and you're doing fine. Hope it holds!

Wanderweg - you're our shining example. Hopefully evening tiredness is not a bad thing if it helps you sleep through the night? I'm a night owl. Post-radiation fatigue actually helped me sleep earlier and through the night like never before. I almost miss that now (almost, but not quite).

Tucker and Domino were also going to demonstrate how sharing is caring but Tucker is such a good big brother and just gave his little sis Domino the doggie bed.