Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2019

Options

Comments

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

Happy for you! Hope all goes well with the rest of your treatment

• CSRoberts
    CSRoberts Member Posts: 10
    Options

Pinky24 ~ feeling so joyful for you!! 🌱

• jktampa
    jktampa Member Posts: 6
    Options

I have finished 4xAC and had my first Taxol a week and half ago. I just noticed some pain in my right rib. It feels sore/bruised. When I feel it I can feel a lump. I am freaking out with the worst possible scenarios in my head. I have my 2nd Taxol this Thursday. Would you call the Oncologist's office ahead of time or should I wait until my appt on Thursday to mention it? They also have a 24/7 nurse line too. Should I call the nurse line?

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

I'd call. Worrying won't help, but calling could!

• Kkmay
    Kkmay Member Posts: 89
    Options

JKTAMPA- call the nurse line, and talk to your doctor as soon as possible, and let us know.

• jktampa
    jktampa Member Posts: 6
    Options

I called and I am going in for an x-ray and ultrasound.

• Kkmay
    Options

wishing you all the best!

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Last AC treatment. Ready to move on to T! Hope all are doing well!

Lauren

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Yay Lauren!! Wishing you all the best

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

Help please. I was as emergency since Friday due to fever. Until now preliminary test results do not show infection but all be more cleare by Wednesday. So by now one knows the cause of feverI or my constant cough since second Ac. am on untibiotics and have always f'lulije symptoms : cold feet hands even legs. Istill no one knows the cause of the fever. Fryday it will be cleare if I will be allowed to go forward with next Ac. I horrified with next Ac but I will be devastated to postpone it because it is not safe. Any of you hadfever and how the bump was handeled?

• Mncteach
    Options

Never had fever, hoping yours gets figured out so you can do treatment! I did have an ear infection and was allowed to do AC while on antibiotics

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    Options

Pinky, congrats on reaching this milestone!!! That's terrific Good luck with the T Lauren. jktampa, I'm glad you called. How did the testing turn out?. Margun, so sorry you are sick. I hope they can figure out what's wrong and you don't have to postpone treatment. I did well with my 4th AC 2 weeks ago, no diarrhea and able to go to the things I wanted.I did get one sore in my mouth,  Fatigue lingered a little longer but that was all. Today I did my first of the weekly low dose Taxol. So far it has been pretty good. I did ice during most of it. I got really antsy because my feet got so cold! My hands were not nearly as cold. The Benadryl made me sleepy but I stayed awake and am tired but not feeling drained/exhausted as I did after the AC. No real tingling/numbness but doctor said that it likely wouldn't start till #3 or 4. She was not that positive about the icing, but said it was fine if I wanted to, and the nurses at the infusion center really seem to think it helps. So we'll see. It sounds like most of us are making progress through our treatments! Yay. Hope everyone has a good weekend. 

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

I had my first taxol yesterday.  I am grateful it seemed to go smoothly.  I did the steroids, Zyrtec, and Pepcid.  They did not give me Benedryl at infusion.  They slowed the drip too at first, and monitored in 3-15 minute increments.  Once they could see there was no reaction, they finished the rest of the drip in 45 minutes.  They said I would do the same next week, and if I still don't have a reaction, they will remove the steroids all together.  I am hopeful that becomes the case.  

I was surprised that I didn't need any anti-nausea meds yesterday either.  I am apprehensive about day 3, as that is when I expect to feel the true weight of this chemo.  Does anyone take Claritin to help with the flu-like systems?  Does it help? I iced as well, thanks to the nurses.  They told me that studies are currently being done on the effectiveness of icing on reducing neuropathy, so it is likely we won't really know if it helps for years.  It doesn't hurt to try.

Hope you are all doing well with your SE.  I will check back tomorrow on the expected flu-like symptoms.

• Kkmay
    Options

Hi ladies!

Hope you’re all doing fine!

Just wondering if any of you experienced pain in the tumor while on chemo?

Does this signifies that chemo is working

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

I had pain in my tumor. And it did disappear. I hope that's happening for your Mom!

• Kkmay
    Options

santabarbarian- she had extreme pain in the first round of AC and then it disappeared in the remaining rounds of AC. Now it’s back, on the first round of taxol, although not nearly as intense as before.
  • mpv459
    mpv459 Member Posts: 83
    Options

You doing okay??

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

which one, Ac or taxol are easier to handle? What expect with taxolThanks

• notdefined
    Options

It depends on how you respond, and where you are in your treatment.  My first taxol went better than AC.  With AC I was down for minimum of 3 days after each treatment.  With Taxol, I have been conscious with minor body aches, but tolerable. I am told that Taxol is more cumulative.  It is expected to "wear me down" as each week passes by, and will likely be equal or worse than AC by the end.  Also, a lot of people have allergic reactions to Taxol, so I think that makes a difference on how you feel about it.

• matildagirl
    matildagirl Member Posts: 2
    Options

Unfortunately, my last TC (4 of 4) was canceled today due to high liver alkaline phosphates. I was very surprised and disappointed because I was not exhibiting any symptoms and this number had never been an issue for past sessions. I did have other elevated liver numbers on my second session, so my oncologist decreased the taxotere dosage for my next two treatments. Has this happened to others? I am wondering now if this chemo regime is even going to have a positive effect on my recurrence rate now that I only got in three sessions, 2 of which were lower doses. It's such a letdown to not be able to finish. Appreciate your input.

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    Options

matildagirl, Sorry you were canceled at the last minute. I would be very disappointed also. That is the reason for the blood draw each time though.Will they be doing a different chemo or do you not know yet? Getting ready for my 2nd Taxol later today. It is not until 3:00 giving me time to get nervous! I had a different appointment scheduled prior to that but it was cancelled so now I have time to kill. I have been lurking on the weekly Taxol board and it worries me a little  with the issues some people are having. But, will just keep doing one step/week at a time. My next goal is to make it until May 19th. That is the last "end of school year" activity, and then, after that, I should be a lot less busy, even though I will still be working the amount of additional commitments should go way down, so I'm hoping that helps me manage the every week schedule for the T. 

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Good Afternoon!

Well today was my last chemo! I have had a total of 8 chemo treatments. (4 in the fall and 4 now) I am so happy to be done. I rang that bell loud and strong!

Good luck to those in the chair this week. Hopefully little to no se for everyone!

• Pinky24
    Pinky24 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Matildagirl... so sorry about your cancellation. My alkaline phosphatase spiked up between my 3rd and 4th rounds of AC, but they let me go ahead and do the last dose and will check it again before surgery.Chemo messes up your body big time - if you think about it, it's not surprising that your liver would be taxed by having so many toxins pumped through it. Hang in there.

Notgivingup- congratulations! You made it! I finished 2 weeks ago, and I’m even happier now that I’m past all of the side effects from the last dose. My taste buds were really affected by my last dose - nothing I ate tasted good unless I put gobs of salt, pepper, and/or hot sauce on it (which wasn’t so great for acid reflux!

• notdefined
    Options

matildagirl-I had elevated liver enzymes between AC 1 and no 2.  I was very frustrated.  My ON found that it was related to me fasting before chemo.  I did water only fasting, and I don't have a gallbladder, so bile was going straight into my intestines. My levels went down after the 3rd week, and then AC 3 and 4 went on their 2 week schedule.  I looked online on foods to eat, and found that coffee helps your liver, as well as broccoli, kale, and spinach. I tried to juice and would like to think they helped.

Hope they come down quickly. 

Notgivingup-Congratulations on passing the finish line!  

• Mncteach
    Options

Notgivingup— yay! Congratulations!

I had 3rd Taxol today... my liver enzymes are up too and the doc is not sure why. We will check again at my last one, 2weeks from now!! I can’t wait... hopefully nothing wrong with liver other than putting toxins in my body. Acid reflux was much worse last time so they put me on a different med for that. Hopefully it helps! Hopefully between that and extra anti nausea med, I will have a weekend with little se

• Kitkat8074
    Kitkat8074 Member Posts: 47
    Options

taxol has been uneventful for me. No side effects and still have my hair although it has thinned. I finished round 9 of 12 today. No nausea, no pain, nothing terrible to speak of. After the 12 Taxol, I do 4 rounds of AC, one every 3 weeks. Hoping I can fair just as well as I have on Taxo

• matildagirl
    matildagirl Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks all for your support! Well, my situation changed very quickly. They took another draw of my blood and my the alkaline phosphate/liver number that they were concerned about was normal again! I seriously think it was a lab error. Thankfully, I went back to the hospital and completed round of 4 of 4 the next day. What an emotional roller coaster ride this journey is, and a balancing act to keep all of your organs healthy while killing the cancer. Now, on to regaining my energy and preparing for radiation in May. Best wishes to all!!

• HOPE012119
    HOPE012119 Member Posts: 19
    Options

congratulations Notgivingup!!!

• Kkmay
    Options

Hi Ladies!

Today was supposed to be mom’s third taxol/carbo, but was canceled due to fever 38.5 °c. She was given antibiotics, and they did blood tests to check for bacteria and/or viruses. To be honest, I believe the fever is due to her being tired and weak. She has very low appetite and eats very little. She is also anxious and irritated most of the time.

Anyone has gone through a similar situation

• tldougan
    tldougan Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi all. I started my chemo end of February. I have been lurking but haven't posted. I finished my 4 A/C and had my first taxol on Wednesday this last week. I am ER+, PR+, Her2-. My tumor is just under skin and it does not feel any smaller. Oncologist said the same on Wednesday and suggested if taxol doesn't show progress in shrinking tumor they may stop taxol and switch to hormone therapy. Curious what other people are experiencing in terms of tumor shrinking or not?