Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2019

Options

Comments

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

Rozzy, I had my first and maybe last taxotere on Wednesday. yesterday i started with what i'm calling 'hand and foot' syndrome. i'm in so much pain. hands and feet red, swollen, tight and painful. can hardly walk or use my hands. also, having muscle and bone pain like the flu. i have been taking B complex and l-glutamine to no avail. my doc says i only need lotion. i'm not happy with her. she didn't even offer celebrex or gabapentin or pain meds. now i get to struggle though the weekend with nothing. Sorry for typos, my hands are hrting so bad.

• Amf5484
    Amf5484 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hi everyone! I hope you are all feeling well and just think every day we are one step closer to the end of this! I wanted to share that I finished my 6th and final round of TCHP yesterday! Time for a break and then surgery at the end of June :

• Kitkat8074
    Kitkat8074 Member Posts: 47
    Options

congrats, AMF!!!! I finished my 12th and final round of Taxol yesterday. Two weeks off and then 4 rounds of AC starting on the 31st. Taxol was very easy on me. No side effects except for some hair loss and insomnia. I’m praying AC will be as easy on me but I’m prepared if it’s not. I can’t feel my tumor on most days, which is a good sign!!

Good luck with surgery, you’re in my prayers!

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Congrats to both of you!  Yes, to one step closer!  

• Kathy03
    Kathy03 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Congrats KitKat and Amf! My final round of TCH is this Friday

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

congratulations to both of you! My final TCHP is June 4th!

• paloma1211
    paloma1211 Member Posts: 95
    Options

so sorry to hear that Kamboka! I hope you find something that will help. Sending love and healing.

Congratulations to KitKat and amf! I’ve got tchp rd5 coming up on Tuesday & I’ll finish a week after you, Gonnabeatthis, on June 11. Looking forward to having this part over with!!

• Amf5484
    Amf5484 Member Posts: 15
    Options

thanks everyone! I’m ready to move on to the next stage of this journey

• paloma1211
    Options

TCHP rd5 is underway! Looking forward to 3 weeks from now, when this part is done. Hope you’re all having an SE free day . xox

• Gonnabeatthis
    Options

Good luck Paloma! Two weeks from today and I’m done! Counting the days!

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

Paloma- I do not see the grade but you are her2 positive as I am. Are you planning lumpectomy or mastectomy and why. I have to make decision and I am really torn between these 2 while my surgeon suggests l

• paloma1211
    Options

yes, Margun, the tumor is HER2+. The stage is IIB. I have decided to go with a lumpectomy and radiation. I’ll be meeting with the surgeon in the coming weeks to be sure of our strategy.

I’m going with a lumpectomy because I think it will be easier on me. I have very large breasts, and removing some tissue and have them lifted a little sounds more like something I’d rather do.

The tumor has responded extremely well to the chemo. I’m going in for another mammo/ultrasound before my July surgery to make sure we get everything.

There is no wrong answer. Do what feels comfortable and right for you. Wishing you the best

• paloma1211
    Options

looking so forward to being on the other side of this, Gonnabeatthis! I’ll be done 3 weeks from today, so I’m right behind you. How are you feeling a week out from rd5?

Stay strong. I’ll see you at the finish line!!

• Gonnabeatthis
    Options

Fatigue has been my biggest issue, I had the normal blah, no appetite, nausea from Thursday to Saturday but since then I’ve been slowly regaining strength and feeling better! Some foods don’t taste good - water?!? - but I’m managing! Good luck! I’ll meet you at the finish line!

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    Options

Congrats to those who are finished/finishing!! That's awesome. I still have 7 taxols to go. (and then radiation..). But, surgery already done so that's good. I need another neupogen Friday due to low WBC on today's lab. MO agreed to give the shot early, so hopefully can head out of town around 11 am. If I have to stay later it won't be the end of the world but I hate that now I have 3 days per week that the BC takes priority (Wed labs/doctor visit, Thurs treatment, Fri neupogen..). We are only going 3.5 hours away or so, but I am looking forward to it. I asked today, and MO said there will be 2-4 weeks in between last chemo and starting RT---while I want to finish as soon as possible, a break without anything sounds pretty good too.

• Kathy03
    Kathy03 Member Posts: 44
    Options

I am officially DONE with chemo! I still need to deal with the SEs from this round, and I’ll continue with my Herceptin infusions, but no more chemo meds! Yay! Stay strong, ladies. We each have individual journeys and milestones, celebrate your victories and keep moving forward.

I have a question about radiation, my next phase. I had a consult with my radiology oncologist recently. She recommended that I call her after my last chemo, schedule my “simulation” to plan the treatments and mark the locations, then I’ll start my daily treatments about a week later. I figure that puts me at mid-June, about 3 weeks after last chemo infusion. When I met with my MO this morning, he suggested that I not rush into radiation. He said I could start anytime up to 6 weeks out, and if I waited longer (more than 3 weeks, within 6 weeks), my body would have more time to recover from chemo effects, especially fatigue. I wasn’t happy to hear that, I really want to get this done as soon as possible, so I’m leaning towards 3 weeks still. Any experience or insight into this? I’ll have to check out the radiation forums now.
  • paloma1211
    Options

Congratulations, Kathy03! Wishing you the best in the next phase. I’ll be in your shoes in a few short weeks. :

• Gonnabeatthis
    Options

Hi Kathy,

Both my MO and RO told me to call after my 5th round of TCHP which was 5/14. I called the next day and made an appointment for 06/18 with treatment starting the following week. My last TCHP is 6/4 (yay me!). My OC didn’t want too much time to pass between chemo and radiation and neither did the RO. Timing of when to call may have something to due with how busy the practice is and how far out they are scheduling but I got the impression both wanted me to start within a month of finishing up chemo. I’d ask for reasoning, I typically feel pretty good about 18 days following mychemo.

Good luck!

• loiswb
    Options

Congrats Kathy!! I just asked my MO about the timing of RT after chemo and she indicated 2-4 weeks or so. Good luck with your next steps! Must feel great to be at this point!

• paloma1211
    Options

Blech! So many things taste like rancid grease today. I made what smelled like a delicious dinner...but tasted like grease. So disappointing. Anyone got any good tips to speed this SE along? My tastebuds were kinda dead for a while. I definitely preferred that to this.

• luluh
    luluh Member Posts: 20
    Options

Hi Everyone,

I have recently developed some chest discomfort and an annoying, nagging cough. It is dry and not deep. No fever, I don’t feel sick per se, but it is really bothersome. Claritin doesn’t seem to help. Any thoughts?

I have my last TCHP on June 4th and am REALLY looking forward to this being over!

• paloma1211
    Options

I’ve got one too, LuluH. Maybe try a different allergy reliever? Sometimes one medicine works better than another. We’re so close to the end of this part - good luck next week!!

• Kitkat8074
    Options

Good morning!

Off to my first round of AC this morning. I’m not going to lie, I’m a little nervous about the side effects. The 12 rounds of Taxol were so easy for me. No side effects except for slight hair loss.

Praying all goes well today.

Congrats to all who are near finishing or have finished! You are all true warri

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

kitkat8074

I did AC first. I never got sick. Take the anti nausea drugs, drink your water. I did get tired, and lost my hair, but for me, it was not that bad. Good luck!

Lauren

• Kkmay
    Kkmay Member Posts: 89
    Options

Best of luck to you Kitkat!

My mom had AC first, and it was really hard on her. She barely ate and did not have that much energy.

My mom now is on taxol/carbo and she has swollen feet! Did anyone experience that? Could it be because of the steroids

• paloma1211
    Options

Hey Kkmay - my MO mentioned that i would probably get swollen ankles (I'm doing TCHP). She said it would be something to worry about if only one ankle was swollen. Your mom might try lying on her back and putting her legs up the wall to help reduce the swelling. Hope she bounces back quickly

• loiswb
    Options

Hope the AC went well Kit Kat! I am noticing worsening taste of things too Paloma. Can't wait till things taste good again! 

• Kitkat8074
    Options

hi all, first AC went well. So far no side effects. Thanks for the support and advice! It’s much appreciated. Round 2 of AC on the 21st

• luluh
    luluh Member Posts: 20
    Options

Hi Everyone!

Today is my last TCHP!!! I am so excited for this first part of treatment to be done!

Kkmay, I got swollen ankles, and the things that helped me were: feet up, compression socks, extra, extra water ( which helped to flush it out) and watching my salt. Hope that helps!

• Gonnabeatthis
    Options

Congratulations LuluH! I also had my last TCHP treatment today! Got to ring the bell! I love celebrating these milestones! Brought my doctor, NP and nurse thank you cards and Lindt chocolate, also some for the treatment room staff. Everyone was so appreciative of them! I still have Herceptin every three weeks until February but compared to the Taxotere and Carboplatin should be much easier. Radiation starting at the end of the month!

Here’s hoping for easy side effects