Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2019

Options

Comments

• paloma1211
    paloma1211 Member Posts: 95
    Options

Hi tldougan, I’m sure you and the doc will come up with a good plan. The sooner the better! My BC is triple positive, and I am about to go in for 4 of 6 TCHP infusions. At my appointment last week, my MO was unable to feel my original lump - and it felt really big before (maybe because it was deep and pushing up a lot of tissue?). I wish we could stop chemo now, but no such luck - just gotta finish out the course and move on to surgery in July. Wishing you the best

• Kathy03
    Kathy03 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Anyone have any tips for watery eyes? I have round 5 of 6 of TCH coming up this Friday. I’ve had watery eyes off and on, but for the past couple of weeks, my left eye is nearly constantly dripping. My MO mentioned that he could prescribe a steroid if it bothered me, but at the time it wasn’t that much of an issue. Has anyone used a steroid or other kind of drops for this, and did it help?

• paloma1211
    Options

hey Kathy03! Sorry to hear about your watery eye. I don’t have any experience with that, but have read that it may actually be due to dryness. Have you tried any OTC drops, like Blink?

How did rd4 go for you? Did the ice chips during taxotere work for your mouth sores? How is your energy/ fatigue? I’m in the chair for #4 tomorrow. Hope you’re feeling well! And hoping for minimal SEs for everyine

• Kathy03
    Options

Hi Paloma! Interesting thought on the dry eyes, that didn’t occur to me. I’ll give the OTC drops a try before calling my MO for a prescription.

Round 4 was ok, nothing too bad. I didn’t have any mouth sores and pain this time, so I’ll definitely stick with the ice chips during the taxotere infusion! That was a huge improvement over R3! Other than that, the first week was about the same ... achy and tired, kind of flu-like, but not horrible. My taste buds were off, and I’m just starting to get close to normal taste again (just in time to lose it again!). But I’ll take that over the mouth pain any time. The biggest difference in this round is the fatigue. I did bounce back with most SE’s after the first week, but my energy level is definitely lower. I don’t feel bad, I just don’t have the energy to do a lot, and really have to pace myself. It’s frustrating because I feel ok and want to do more, I just don’t have the energy. But I don’t feel too bad after that first week, so I still feel fortunate that my SE’s are minor and tolerable. Just tired.

Good luck with your round 4!

• Amf5484
    Amf5484 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing well! I had round 5 of 6 of TCHP last Friday and much of the same. My taste buds are off and for the first time water doesn't even taste good. So trying to think of other things to drink so I don't get dehydrated. I have my appetite thankfully.Fatigue seems a little better today, my MO is keeping me on the steroids a little longer and slowly tapering me off then as the week goes on. It's hard for me to get excited about my last round on May 17th because my MO said after surgery in June they'll make the decision if I need to start another chemo, TDM1 or do radiation after.I'm wondering if anyone else is having to do this. She explained it's not as harsh as TCHP but it's still chemo so I imagine it's miserable :(

• Kathy03
    Options

Amf5484, you’re exactly one week ahead of me, I have round 5 of TCH this Friday. I had the big taste bud change with round 3. I know what you mean about water. I usually drink lots of water, and since I’ve been on chemo, I always have a full water bottle on hand. Starting with r3, I couldn’t tolerate it. Best I can describe it is that most things tasted like cardboard, but water was especially bleh. When I realized that I was barely drinking anything at all, I bought bottles of carbonated flavored water. I found that that tastes ok. I think the carbonation helps to cut through the bleh-ness that coats my tongue. My taste buds starting coming back in the 3rd week. Round 4 seems a little better. I still have the cardboard taste, but it comes and goes and is not as bad as last round. I still can’t tolerate plain water though so I drink the flavored bubbly kind. I also have some banana chocolate almond protein drinks from Costco that are ok. As long as I’m going to make myself drink something, may as well get some protein while I’m at it.
  • IdRatherBeBoatin
    IdRatherBeBoatin Member Posts: 13
    Options

Amf5484 and Kathy03,

I have another treatment tomorrow TCHP 5:6. We are in the same boat and after tomorrow, I will be SO excited to say that I have one treatment left!!

Regarding watery eyes, mine started about 1 week ago. I talked to my Ophthalmologist friend. Taxotere is known to concentrate in the tears causing blockage and can scar the tear-duct. Steroid drops can be helpful around a treatment. It shouldn't be ignored however because it can be permanent. I am going in for a tear-duct reopening and flush this Thurs. I will update you with how that goes. Mine is really my left eye,and much worse when I go outside or its windy. Its NOT dry eye or allergies. You can try heat and massage to the tear-duct and see it that helps.

I'm glad the sucking on ice chip during infusion is helping many of you. I have certainly done better since icing (started cycle 2 once I had terrible mouth sores after round 1).

Amf5484 - I meet with my MO tomorrow before infusion. I have heard if there is residual tumor after surgery, Rads, or TDM1 is an option, but that is another targeted agent for Her2+ ( I think you probably know that). I was NOT given the impression I would have to do more chemo... WTH?!?! God I hope not. Message me privately and we can talk about our surgical pathways.

Best to all in the chair this week!

-Boatin

• IdRatherBeBoatin
    IdRatherBeBoatin Member Posts: 13
    Options

tldougan

There are more qualified gals to get an idea on tumor shrinkage in your situation, but perhaps you could ask for an ultrasound. It can easily re-measure the tumor and see if the chemo is responding. Being Her2-, your type is less aggressive and I was informed that more aggressive tumors respond better to chemo. For me, I am ER-, Pr-, Her2+ ( so the opposite of you and Her2+ makes it an aggressive type). I had an ultrasound after I was 1/2 way done with chemo and mine has shrink 3 fold. (was 2.1x.9mm or something and is now .5mm x .3mm).

Perhaps other HR pos, Her2- gals can weigh in, but that's what I would ask for if I were in your shoes.

-Boatin

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

First taxol today. I used ice pack on my hands and feet which gave the nurses a giggle. If it works, I don’t care!

Here’s hoping the SEs aren’t bad!

Laure

• Newfromny
    Newfromny Member Posts: 108
    Options

Paloma 1211 I was also on TCHP and my tumor was 5cm with a positive lymph node at biopsy, had surgery in March and cancer was completely gone including lymph nodes, complete response. So hang in with chemo, I found 4 through 6 really hard, wanted to give up, but it was worth it! I have radiation now but so far it’s been ok, nothing like chemo.

• paloma1211
    Options

Thank you for your encouragement Newfromny! Glad to hear your story and that you’re doing well with radiation. Did you have your lymph node removed? And are you having the lymph node area radiated? I have at least one node involved, and removal/radiation makes me nervous

• Newfromny
    Newfromny Member Posts: 108
    Options

Yes they removed 5 lymph nodes on the left side also did sentinel nodes on the right side all negative and now I’m having the left side radiated. It does make me nervous but feel good and doing what I need to .

• paloma1211
    Options

I'm happy you're feeling good, Newfromny.

I had rd4 of tchp on Tuesday & I'm starting to feel crappy again. Damn, this just sucks tonight. I feel like I've been doing really well, but tonight I think I'm just gonna cry.

How is everyone else feeling out there

• Kathy03
    Options

Hang in there, Paloma! I know how frustrating it is when that wave of SEs hits and you just feel like crap. But you’ve had your 4th of 6 infusions, so you’re on the back side of this now! You’re at about the point in your cycle when it hits me too. I basically write off that first week, especially days 3-8, and know its going to suck for a few days then I’ll get past it. Just remember that your body is fighting a fierce battle, it’s normal and ok that it’s going to wear on you. I hope you can get some rest to help get through these bad days.

And yes, I’m wide awake at 4:30am thanks to steroids! In 4 hours, I check in for my 5th round. I have felt better this week, not nearly full strength but not quite as fatigued as last week. I’m not looking forward to the next week, but definitely looking forward to getting all this behind me!
  • Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

Paloma,

I had 4/6 tchp last Tuesday and it was probably one of my rougher rides. Unfortunately I had a death in my family right before my treatment and that caused added stress which made everything worse. I’m finally feeling better today, symptoms kicked in last Thursday and lasted well into yesterday, an entire week of feeling crappy! The nausea was the worst, couldn’t get it under control and to add to that my potassium levels were low and I needed potassium supplements (including some in hydration with additional push of anti-nausea drugs). My advice is don’t wait to call the doctor if you find your symptoms lingering! They staff at my center is great and never make me feel like I’m a wimp or bothering them, they truly want me to feel better! Two more to go and I can’t wait to ring that bell on my last day!

On another note, does anyone else have vision problems? I have double/blurry vision that comes and goes but appears to be lasting longer and longer. I have now developed a twitch in my left eye where my entire eye and eyelid moves, my husband can actually see it when it happens. I’m hoping it’s due to stress from the week I’ve had. My OC says steroids and taxotere sometimes have this SE. Hoping it goes away.

Good luck with your SE! Hope they remain minimal

• paloma1211
    Options

thank you kathy03 and Gonnabeatthis. I woke up feeling mentally stronger today. Here’s hoping it lasts. :)

Good luck today, Kathy03! Wishing you a calm and easy rd5. We are getting through this!

I’m with you Gonnabeatthis. My vision goes in and out of blurriness & one of my eyes will twitch for a couple of days. It’s so irritating. I have no idea what to do. So sorry to hear about your loss. Sending you lots of love and healing this week

• tldougan
    tldougan Member Posts: 6
    Options

thanks Paloma1211 for your response. Sounds like you are feeling like me a bit. I too wish I could just go to the surgery step and get this cancer out of me! I am proud of how I am tolerating chemo so far but I hate the idea of going through all of this if it isn't helping! I just got my second taxol today and see the oncologist in 2 weeks. I will push then if there isn't progress!

• tldougan
    tldougan Member Posts: 6
    Options

thanks IdRatherBeBoatin. I had my second taxol today and one more next week before I see the oncologist again. If no progress I will push for ultrasound. It's a mixed bag these markers. Mine is less aggressive yes but less responsive. Yours is more aggressive but more responsive. Either way it sucks. Mine is 5 cm and lobular kind and they also found two small ones in other breast (but no signs in lymph nodes). So bottom line it is serious and sometimes time seems like the enemy. Fighting on!

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Just had my last chemo!!! I am so excited!!

• farfalla6
    farfalla6 Member Posts: 92
    Options

Congrats on last chemo! I am visiting from April boards and waiting for #4 out of 8 today, with exact same stats as you

• paloma1211
    Options

congratulations, Mncteach!!

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Congratulations Mncteach! Whoo Hoo! 

• Kathy03
    Options

Yay Mncteach! That is worth celebrating!! I’ll be there in a couple of weeks! 🎉🎉🎉🎉

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    Options

woohoo!! Congrats McTeach!!. I got Taxol #4 today, and am halfway, (4 AC, 4 T done, 8 T to go). While I was there, 3 people rang the bell for their last chemo!. You did it!!

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

That was the one thing that bummed me out— we don’t have a bell to ring :( I did get a lovely bracelet along with a few other gifts from the center and lots of hugs too!

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

Congratulations Mncteach!! I have 2 more TCHP treatments to go! Can't wait to ring that bell

• notdefined
    Options

They don't have a bell at the Kaiser center I go to either.  

• Kkmay
    Kkmay Member Posts: 89
    Options

congrats mncteach!!!!!

• Rozzy
    Rozzy Member Posts: 11
    Options

Anyone dealing with neuropathy? I'm having neuropathy symptoms in both hands and feet and some leg and ankle swelling. Last night I woke feeling like so,women was poking me in my big toes with needles. Oncologist says it's a possible side effect of the Taxotere. Looking for something to help. I'm taking gabapentin, which seems to help minimally. Anyone know of anything else that may help or has helped you

• notdefined
    Options

My doctor said exercise would help, but I know some other ladies are taking vitamin B6 and B12 along with L-Glutamine for Taxol.  I think the two are related. I've read that L-glutamine is not great for the liver, so I haven't tried it. Also, I have been icing my hands and feet during treatment.