Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2019

Options

Comments

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Congrats LuluH and Gonnabeatthis!  Hope everything else goes smoothly for you!

• luluh
    luluh Member Posts: 20
    Options

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

I have her2positive grade 3 bc.Before starting chimo i did ct scan and bone scan which was cleare.I asked my surgeon if she intends to do any scan or Mri before or after surgery to make sure nothing escaped. She said they analyze l'imbroglio nodes durinrg surgery I see if all ok but no scan until god forbid some simptom arises. She said she cannot do Mriof the intiert body but only if an area if god forbid some unusual simptom is noticed. This is not settling to me. How was your experience, no mri or scan after chimo?

After chimo i will have lumpectomy. How many weeks needed for recovery? Or after how many weeks I will be able to go work( bra good shape physically and no chimo brain)

Thanks for responding.

• Kkmay
    Kkmay Member Posts: 89
    Options

Congratulations Luluh!

• paloma1211
    paloma1211 Member Posts: 95
    Options

congratulations LuluH and Gonnabeatthis! I’ll be done next Tuesday - can’t wait!!

Margun - my surgeon is having me do a mammogram & ultrasound before surgery. She’d prefer an mri, but I’m too claustrophobic. I will also do a cat scan for my chest, but that is because there was something suspicious there (possibly a node, possibly the remnant of my thymus gland) that they need to compare to my previous scan

• margun
    Options

Paloma-ultrasound for thé breast? Mri for the breast or for enrouer body? You Serge in makes sense to me. I had a ct scan before chimo. A mammo is done on breast but no other scan is planned for the body. How they can know if something is escaped or not without doing a body scan before surgery?th

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    Options

Congrats Lulu!!! 

• paloma1211
    Options

margun - only for the breast. The surgeon wants to make sure they get everything. They will not do another full body scan. I think the idea is that chemo got any cancer that may be elsewhere in the body

• margun
    Options

hi Psloma- I am having lumpectomy and breast reduction on other breast to make them equal, despite I was willing do bmx. My surgeon said that for my her2positive grade 3 tumor it does not help really and recovery time is longer. I decided to go with her suggestions. What type of surgery you are having

• paloma1211
    Options

I’m planning a lumpectomy, as well, Margun. Once I finish chemo, I’ll complete the imaging, then have a consult with my surgeon. We’ll make sure that lumpectomy is still the plan, but that’s what I’m hoping for. I’ll go on to radiation after that.

• Kkmay
    Options

Hi ladies!

How did you get over low hemoglobin and platelets during your chemotherapy? My mom has low hemoglobin and platelets during most of her chemo journey. She actually needed several blood transfusions. I have never heard someone on chemo needing blood transfusion so it's concerning me. Even after transfusions her hemoglobin and platelets are borderline.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

kkmay - look up Hyperbaric Oxygen... stimulates bone marrow and pushes oxygen into the cells. Also look at blood-boosting foods and supplements... chlorophyll is one but there are more....

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

Ringing of the Bell last Tuesday! Best Chemo day ever! Good Luck to you tomorrow Paloma!

https://www.facebook.com/andrew.stanhope.7/videos/...

• margun
    Options

hello to all. I am wondering what additional sun protection besides sun screen And hat you take hen going for walk under sun or you do indoor exercise. I am advised that the skin is extremely sensitive to the sun during chimo. I use sunscreen when I go for walk but even after 20-25 min walk m cheeks are reddish. When I wait sun comes down 🕷 are up and they bite me me even with repellent . I Use sunscreen with 59-60 uv protection but perhaps you know a brand that is better than others. This sensitivity of sun will go away after chimo or we must be avoiding sun or taking special measures against it for our entier life. My husband likes to hi beach and I do not know how I will reconcile what he likes to do with a sun issue

• LauraL21
    LauraL21 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi - I just joined so I'm late to the game posting. I started chemo on Feb 27th, had 4 rounds of AC. Was supposed to then have 4 rounds of taxol but had reaction to steroids so now I'm doing abraxane every 3 weeks. So I should have been done last week and now won't finish until July 10th. Is anyone doing abraxane? Curious to see how other people are doing on it.

• paloma1211
    Options

thank you Gonnabeatthis!! Can’t wait to be done. Hope you’re on your way to feeling like yourself again . For some reason, your video won’t play.

The office I go to for chemo doesn’t have a bell. But my very thoughtful mother bought one for me, so I’ll be ringing the heck out of it at 1:30pm tomorrow afternoon! Cheers, friends - we got this!!

• notdefined
    Options

Congrats, Gonnabeatthis!!

• paloma1211
    Options

Chemo #6 is in the bag - ibrang that bell!!Still have 12 more rounds of Herceptin only, but at least I won’t be having any more chemo drugs. Congratulations to everyone who is finishing!

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

Congratulations! It’s a great milestone! I have Herceptin until next February and radiation coming up later this month but it’s so important to me to celebrate the milestones! I hope your SE are few

• loiswb
    Options

Congrats Paloma!!! Great job!

• Kkmay
    Options

Hi ladies!

Hope everyone is doing ok

My mom still has very red swollen feet (she is on taxol/carbo) with dry skin and pus coming out in areas of friction. Doctors did ultrasound to check for thrombosis: negative ( thank God), doctors gave her strong antibiotics but still with no success. They seem puzzled about her situation. Any ideas what this could be?

• loiswb
    Options

Kkmay, it does sound like an infection. Have they given her anything to take the fluid off? Maybe she needs antibiotic through her IV. It is frustrating when something doesn't get better and nobody seems to know what it is or what to do!

• Kkmay
    Options

She started antibiotics via IV two days ago for three days and then they will reassess whether she needs more antibiotics. So far, it doesn’t seem to be helping.

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Got my port out today! I am so excitedHappy

• margun
    Options

mnctech- congrats for this milestone. I hope you are plant something special for this event.Chat is next for you? Any radiotherapy or not?

• Kitkat8074
    Kitkat8074 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Hi all! Hope you’re all doing well. I received my first AC 3 weeks ago and my first labs were yesterday. WBC extremely low so went back for Neulasta shot. Experiencing back and bone pain really bad. I heard Claritin helps. Any other suggestions

• notdefined
    Options

I took Claritin two days before, and two days after treatment, and it completely got rid of the bone aches. There was one treatment where I forgot to take it, and I regretted it immediately. I am on Taxol now, and get severe bone aches. I find that a heating pad makes me feel better, but it doesn't really get rid of the aches-just helps me deal with them.

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

I echo notdefined’s sentiments. The Claritin was a lifesaver! Heating pads during taxol became the norm.

• Kitkat8074
    Kitkat8074 Member Posts: 47
    Options

my MO said to take Claritin, Advil and Zantac. He said in need ZAC 😁 then he laughed. I think he thought he was making a cute joke. It helped working 20 minutes and the pain was gone. I was amazed. I was in excruciating pain before taking it. Wow!! I won't forget to take it next time!

• loiswb
    Options

Congrats to all who have finished and for getting that port out McTeach!! I have 2 more Taxol to go.