Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting March 2019

Options

Comments

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Good morning fellow warriors! Finally coming out of the deep chemo fog post second TC round. This round was better than the first but still annoying enough to just make me feel blah. So much so I forgot my password to this site and could not figure out how to reset it🤣 Groggy, foggy and achy. And last not forget the constipation. Got to figure this out for the next round. Senekot does not work. Hydration does not work.

I am so proud of you and inspired by all for fighting through this. It will get better. 🤗

JAG, continue being supportive to your wife. I know you just want to fix this but it takes time. Just be there. Simetimes there is nothing you can do at the moment. And please remember to take care of yourself because we do feel guilty to see you going through this with no self care. I have one of you as well. We are lucky to have you in our lives.

Have a good day all😀

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

Unbreakable I've had the constipation issue also. I was constipated 4 days after my 1st treatment. MO prescribed Lactulose which helped. I also took Miralax daily. I have an anal fissure so constipation really just adds insult to injury.

Good luck!

• Unbreakable1
    Options

DawnS1962, I have lactulose in my cabinet. This was my next stop. I will try it. Never thought constipation was so awful. I tried Miramax but severe heartburn. I have a upper and lower GI scope on Friday. If nothing I know the dulcolax with clean me out tomorrow. Hope you get continued relief from this.🤗

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Constipation: try taking magnesium citrate 2-4 capsules at night. It helps sleep too.

And again dasting or dasting mimicking heading into chemo makes it less intense.

With you guys in spirit and hoping everyone finds some go-to foods and drinks that work!

• Fallschurchgirl
    Fallschurchgirl Member Posts: 62
    Options

Hey, ladies.

On day 3 after TC #2. Bone pain is there. But much better. Nausea is worse. Made myself walk. And drink water. Kept telling myself that tomorrow will be better.

I hope everyone is doing ok with their SEs. Thinking of you all.

Hugs. Jean

• Unbreakable1
    Options

Jean, yes tomorrow will be better!!!

• Dawmar
    Dawmar Member Posts: 13
    Options

I hope everyone is doing well and managing with the side affects.

My hair started falling out in clumps today, cried just a little. Last Thursday was by far my toughest day, it was 8 days from my 1st treatment. I had sore hips, and felt a little pain in the tail bone. Well as the day went on the pain traveled up my spine to the point where I could not sit nor stand still. I had to walk and walk and walk for about 45 mins straight in the office until the pain subsided somewhat to even try to drive home. Has anyone experienced this pain? My pain tolerance is very high but that was tough. Round 2 was today. I hope I have this constipation thing under control this time around.

• Solobroker
    Solobroker Member Posts: 13
    Options

I have been having pain in my lower back and also my knees are buckling. I thought it might be from gaining weight and not being mobile enough.

Any one else having these issues?

The hair loss is tough. Happened to me a few days ago, but my 13 year old daughter and husband shaved their heads too and it did really warm my heart.

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

solobroker. I can’t believe they both shaved for you. That is so sweet! My sister offered, but I turned her down.

Dawmar. I hope this round goes better for you and that you don’t get the dreaded constipation.

Unbreakable. How are you doing with your SEs

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

So sorry to hear of some of the challenges that many of you have had this week. I've found that I don't look at this day by day but hour by hour. The next hour could be better!

I had an appointment today at the hospital's Integrative Health Center. I want to get some acupuncture and Reiki. The doctor mentioned IV Vit C or Mistletoe as a complement to chemo. Has anyone heard of this or tried it? The mistletoe is supposed to help with SEs. My first round was not too bad and I'm scheduled for the second round in a week. So, not sure if I even need this therapy.

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Kamboka- How awesome that you have access to the integrative health center! I am offered reiki but tried to find someone to do acupuncture but there is no one really close ( not too far but just far enough to not feel like the drive in my current condition). I have heard about the IV vitamin c but not the mistletoe.

Dawmar— I have been having back pain, but like solobroker I thought it was just because of my weight and lack of usual activity. Maybe there’s something more

• Unbreakable1
    Options

I did get some hip and back pain on day 5 of my first round of TC. It felt like I was about to give birth. Could not be still. Only walking ease the pain. Lasted for about 40 minutes. I thought it was from sitting in one position too long as I had coworkers visiting that afternoon and we sat, ate and gab for about 3 hours. I made sure I moved more this round and it did not happen yet🤞.

Is anyone experiencing night sweats? I talk to my MO about it it this past Tuesday. She was not concerned. But crap, last night was bad. I was up every hour, changing or adjusting my pj/bedding.

Here's to smiles today😀

• Gratefulgrandma
    Gratefulgrandma Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hi Solo, I just had my first chemo TC yesterday, and I noticed my knees are not as strong now. No back issues as of yet. Hopefully that will just be a passing thing for you. If not do mention it to the DR.

I am taking Florastor Probiotics. I asked two oncologists and they both said no problem. I had a bad case of C Diff last fall from over antibiotic use due to strep throat. I went on several probiotics and it kept me from being hospitalized while waiting for diagnosis of the CDiff and I believe helps the gut in general. I am hoping it will help with the dreaded diahreah SE.

Thanks to all who post here, it's so informative! I am taking much advice and anticipate the tips will help during this "interesting" time!

Bless all of you <3

• santabarbarian
    Options

I did high dose Vitamin C... Is yours reg dose, or high? High doses have anti-cancer properties... it works as a pro-oxidant.

• kamboka
    Options

I have not started either the Vit C or the Mistletoe. I wanted to talk to my Oncologist first. I'm leaning more towards the Mistletoe. The Vit C is IV and high dose. I wish I had known about it as I would have taken it for the two and a half months that I had to wait before starting chemo. The center is so backed up with appointments that they said it would be next month before I could see the ND. In the meantime, I am talking to another center who has a practitioner who does both Reiki and lymphatic drainage. I'll need that after surgery in a few months.

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

Dawmar - I'm on day 10 and for the past couple of days I've had pulsing pain which starts in my pelvis and runs right up my spine to the back of my head. Really bad when I bend over, sit or lay flat - pain comes in waves. I forced myself to go for a walk in the park with my dog this morning for about an hour and again in the afternoon, and slowly began to feel a bit better. I still get an instant pulsing headache when I bend over but feeling much bettter this evening, just a dull tailbone ache. Hoping it passes for you soon.

• Dawmar
    Dawmar Member Posts: 13
    Options

Solobroke and mncteach I don’t think it’s a weight issue, I spoke with the nurse she said it’s probably from the Nuelastra . I do follow my Claritin and Aleve regimen. And I am pretty Active. I just hope it’s was just a one time thing, and it’s not something I will have to deal with every round.

So my second round was Wednesday, I got so sick last night, and woke up this morning so sore. But it’s time to get moving.

Does anyone have any advice fo the scalp soreness? My hair started falling out a couple of days ago and the scalp has been very tender and sore

I have my nieces track meet tomorrow at University of Florida I am so excited to see her haven’t seen her in over a year.

• santabarbarian
    Options

kamboca-- you cant take enough C orally to reach the cancer-active levels. Its a mega dose that would cause diarrhea if eaten; can only work w IV. I am curious what the center is, that offers it? It is very enlightened.

• Baldbeauty242
    Baldbeauty242 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hello everyone. I've been MIA because I can't seem to be well for more than a few hours.😷

My second round of chemo (which was scheduled for March 25th) had to be cancelled because my numbers were so low in my blood work.

I haven't worked a full week yet since my initial chemo. I am catching everything in sight. My latest visit yesterday my eye was infected, fingernail infected, and I have a rash above my port.

I am beginning to wonder if chemo is worth all of this madness 😖.

I did bloodwork this morning and I will get the results this afternoon to determine whether my chemo will continue on Monday.

Anyone else ever had this problem?

• Baldbeauty242
    Options

I am just catching up on everyone's post. Oh my to sorry to hear of all your troubles too.😢

We do have to go through alot. But like one of you said, take it hour by hour. I tell my friends, I live in the moment. I take it moment to moment but you just don't know what is next?

Solobroker that is sooooo sweet!! My 14 year old daughter will absolutely NEVER shave her hair. It took her too long to grow.😉

Santabarbarian, do you mean that if I am taking vitamin C by mouth it will probably have no affect on my cancer? I just wanted to understand your statement. I have never heard of Vitamin C through IV. Sounds very interesting.

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

dawmar. The only thing that helped the scalp soreness for me was buzzing it off. It is still a little sore, but with less hair “moving” it seems to be better. I am also conditioning and moisturizing the heck out of my scalp.

Jean

• santabarbarian
    Options

Oral doses of C benefit overall health, as an antioxidant.

IV C in high doses, is, paradoxically, a pro-oxidant. It kills cancer cells by over-oxygenating them. Lots online about it.

• Baldbeauty242
    Options

Wow. Sounds good Santabar....

I wish we had that option here in The Bahamas.

Well, Vit C orally will have to work for me.😉

Thanks for clarifying.

• kamboka
    Options

Santabarbarian--You are correct that to get the doses need to possibly help would be in high doses through an IV. I had the consult at George Washington Integrative Center. After reading about both Vit C and Mistletoe, I was most intrigued by the latter. However, before starting anything like that I wanted to talk to my oncologist and the Center naturopathic doctor first. The Center's doctor is booked until sometimes next month. In the meantime, I found another place to get Reiki. I start Monday.

Baldbeauty242--Sorry to hear about how sick you have been with your first round. It seems like each round is different so surely you'll breeze through the next one.

Fallschurchgirl--I'm in a unique situation in which I have alopecia totalis (scalp hair loss) for many years. I'm curious to see how this will affect my scalp or the little small outgrowths that never get long. I'm 14 post R1 and noticed pubic hair loss. I would say just continue to moisturize the scalp. Not sure if he hydrocortisone would help but I guess you could try. I know how stressful hair loss can be but I've had plenty of time to get used to it--if one can ever get used to it. I'm more worried about losing my nails. I'm giving them super attention to try to save them.

• knmtwins
    knmtwins Member Posts: 437
    Options

Yes chemo is worth it, once on the other side you will realize how little of your life you actually have given to it and you will be thankful. Take it from someone who is doing it for the second time, for a second primary cancer.

With that said, OMG day 2 is kicking my butt! I'm about to call the doctor to see which of these anti nausea meds I can double up on. I'm on Sancuso patch and 8mg Zofran which helped for the first 4 hours, but not anymore.

Any options for non acidic liquids to mix my L-Glutamine powder in. I probably should have thought of that before now... oops.

• Solobroker
    Solobroker Member Posts: 13
    Options

I know, that was sweet of my daughter to shave her head. I did not want her to initially because I couldn't deal with the regret and her emotions on top of my emotions.... lol. To my surprise, she's totally fine and is rockin it, which in turn has given me more confidence.

As for scalp tenderness, it was quite painful, which I did not expect, for a couple days. IT will get better for sure. 

Hope this helps!

• bam320
    bam320 Member Posts: 84
    Options

knmtwins

I have used Nuun tablets in water in the past for hydration. I don't think they are acidic. They come in different flavors and can be found where you would buy running shoes. I think there web site have a vendor search link. I might have to stock up as I start treatment next week. Good luck!

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    March is almost over!! Hoping the rest of spring also flies by and these chemo days can be in the past... I had round 2 of AC yesterday morning and so far feeling almost too perfect. I don’t trust the calm and know the storm is coming if round 1 is any indication. Last time I started with the nausea meds right away but now I have taken nothing and the premeds are still doing the trick. I have a patch to put on tomorrow when these wear off and hoping that will work and get me through the week... stocked up on nausea friendly food and organized some helpers to come make sure I eat and drink and will see how it goes. I do not want to feel sick like last time!!! My hair is coming out fast now. Not sure if I should go ahead and shave it or just continue to pull it and watch it come out in horror. At least it is short now (I cut it last week) so not such a mess...

Sending all of you positive vibes for this weekend and good luck with side effects!!!
  • Ghcpd
    Ghcpd Member Posts: 6
    Options

Well all I can say is this week really sucked! Had first TC Monday and it was a breeze! Tuesday had a liter of NS and the Fulphila shot (like Neulsta) and 3:49pm. At 11:49 pm the bone and muscle pain creeped in and I wanted to scream. It lasted days 3-5 and I mean it felt like concrete slabs were dropped on top of me for the elephant parade. Stabbing, jabbing, pulling!!! Not even a glimpse of nausea, a little bit of diarrhea day 3. Day 5 my mouth was completely overtakenwith thrush. I realized I hadn’t taken my mh probiotic in 3 days( too many other pills). I took it last night and This morning it is almost healed. So far today I feel human. Glad I took claritin or I might’ve died! Good luck to all

• Boobietrap
    Boobietrap Member Posts: 2
    Options

Just reading through everyone's posts and thank you for sharing, Started 4 x TC on March 19. Week one was full of character building, nausea, vomiting, heartburn and headaches but made it through. Fatigue and the lack of taste are ongoing.Was curious what folks timeline was on hair loss? I have noticed mine thinning but no big clumps yet.likely going to shave my head in the next day or so to beat cancer to the punch but have been holding out because it's cold right now. (I have a stock pile of beanies.) Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Boobietrap