Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting March 2019

Options

Comments

• sheila77
    sheila77 Member Posts: 17
    Options

HI Ladies,

I have not been experiencing constipation but I have been having stomach cramps with some diarrhea. The stomach cramps were the worst! I never felt like it was enough diarrhea to take Imodium. But yesterday, I started apple cider vinegar and then got some Kombucha. I'm not sure if you are suppose to drink Kombucha while on chemo, but I'll check with my MO. Does anyone know about this?

After my surgery, I did experience constipation and I did use Phillips Milk of Magnesia - after trying ducolax, prunes, and everything else. That was the thing that worked.

Since I am 8 days post my first treatment, I was considering cutting my hair. And so sorry that Jean and Lauren that you are on track with the hair loss. I think I will cut it in the next few days, just to have some control.

I'm much better today than last week. Not sure what to do for that bone pain for next round. I know it does not last long, but it is quite painful. I'm not sure if my Claritin is working....

I did go to work today for four hours!!! I feel like that was an accomplishment!

Hope everyone has a good week. Sorry so many are having SE's. They really suck..

But then - this too shall pass

Hang in there warriors!

• Solobroker
    Solobroker Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi there.....

Had my 2nd treatment of AC today. Not feeling great, kind of as someone mentioned before, in a haze.

I too am waiting for the hair loss which is making me a little anxious I guess.

I too remember headaches and bone pain..... taking the Clariton but wondering what else I can do.

Also with milk of magnesia, do you all take it daily? If so, did it then cause the opposite effect? lol 

This too shall pass is one of my favorite sayings too! 

Best - Sherrie

• Baldbeauty242
    Baldbeauty242 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Good Advice Jenkins. Will add prunes to my diet as well.

Santabarbarian can you email me some sample meals please? And also some instructions on how to proceed. I have my next chemo on Monday and I really do not have time to process all of this on my own. Anything I can do that can help in anyway is worth a try. I might not get it correct 100%, but it is worth some effort. Thank you for info.

My email address is dellad1975@hotmail.com

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Baldbeauty,

I have nothing to email you but here are ideas for everyone... these are all ~150-200 calorie mini meals (look at your labels/sizes and adjust if necessary). Pick ~5 for an ~800 calorie day. You want to limit the animal protein foods to apx 200 calories (or 1-2 servings) per day, and the rest should be veggie or nut options. E

-1 egg, 1/2 avocado & salsa

-2T almond butter & celery sticks

-spinach, onion, and mushroom scramble (w/one egg or 2 egg whites)

-20 almonds (or similar size serving of pistachios, walnuts)

-frozen (organic) sausages 2-3 (look at box to know)

-green salad (use any above-ground veggies) with 2-3 T vinaigrette dressing

3oz broiled salmon, tuna, or other fish

bone broth.... can add diced veggies: I like ginger slices & bok choy 1.5 C

fresh gazpacho - ~3/4 C

full fat *plain* cottage cheese or yogurt, 1/2C, with 1/4 C berries

cooked above ground veggies - 3/4 C

• msmarie
    msmarie Member Posts: 72
    Options

Thank you for this, santabarbarian!  I am trying to get my MO to say yes to fast mimicking and he wants a diet plan.  This helps so much!

• santabarbarian
    Options

You're welcome, Ms Marie!

Print out the info from Dr Valter Longo at USC. There are papers about it. There is a ton of science to support it. Unless someone has an weird underlying health problem (other than cancer), a fast is GOOD for you.

I did it more to improve chances of a pCR, rather than to reduce SEs, but the reduction in SEs was a great fringe benefit.

My MO started off a tad skeptical but by chemo #3 when my tumor could not be felt, he grinned and said; "keep doing what you're doing!"

• msmarie
    msmarie Member Posts: 72
    Options

santabarbarian, my tumor was removed with clean margins, so I won't have anything to show him.  So glad yours disappeared!  I am doing the FM mostly to minimize SE - and if their research/theory is correct about protecting the healthy cells while enhancing the chemo effect on the cancer cells, that is a wonderful bonus. I am doing AC-T and I am so worried about damage to my heart, maybe the CR will help, but I haven't found any definitive research. 

I can't figure out how I'm going to adjust the CR schedule when I start weekly Taxol, but I have time yet for that. 

• santabarbarian
    Options

A woman in my August Chemo group, MoonGirlJess, did a once a week fast for Taxol. I think she stopped eating about 36 hours prior to every chemo, and had to eat like a horse when re-feeding... It's in Chemo August 2018 thread, but she said it helped.

• Dawmar
    Dawmar Member Posts: 13
    Options

so I finally found a solution to my constipation problem with stool softener a night and a cup of hot tea with honey, finally went normal today, I was so happy.

I had been doing the activita yogurt daily and smoothe moves tea at night, and a coffee in the morning that usually work for me. I guess not with chemo.

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

Hi all,

I’m at the hospital for my first FEC100 chemo. Blood test done and now waiting to see my doctor. Then up to the chemo suite to get started.

Bit nervous but here we go!🤞💪

• Jenkins00
    Jenkins00 Member Posts: 99
    Options

solobroker - I only take the Milk of Magnesia at night and only if I haven't had a bowel movement by day three. I've only had to do this twice during chemo. It didn't cause the opposite effect for me.

I couldn't do the fasting so I really focused on eating healthy, nothing greasy, heavy, or fatty.

• Fallschurchgirl
    Fallschurchgirl Member Posts: 62
    Options

good afternoon, ladies. Well, the hair is gone. It was coming out in clumps. I had no bald spots yet, but my scalp hurt. When I went to bed last night it hurt to put my hair on the pillow. I was also sick of seeing hair fall all the time. I went to the local barber and was lucky to be the only customer and the barber was a woman. She kept up a steady stream of talk I didn’t understand while I cried in the chair. I put the beanie on and left without looking in the mirror. It took about 3 hours at home before I worked up the nerve to look. I am not going to lie- it is pretty ugly.

But it will grow back. It is only hair.

But can we have a conversation about Velcro head? It is kinda funny. The beanie clings to it. Feels so strange. But it gives me hope that nothing will slip off. 😀

How are my March 11 ladies doing? And we had 3 start this week. Dianab, Chickeywickey and PokeySpider. How are those SEs coming? Please keep us posted.

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Fallschurchgirl I hear you honey. It sucks . But I keep thinking that this is evidence that the chemo is working on those darn cancer cells. I finally got some time to figure out head coverings and wigs while my husband and kids are out of the house during the day. They are supportive but I needed the time by myself to try and figure it out as I had bought a slew of different ones in anticipation of this. Hang in there. It will grow back.

I went to a fabulous program yesterday, "Look good, feel better". It was nice to get together with fellow warriors to learn about skincare regimen and makeup tips on this journey.

On to my next round of chemo this week. Starting with bloodwork tomorrow and then infusion in Friday.

Hugs to all🤗

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Fallschurchgirl,

Yeah it is only hair, but still hard. Got mine shaved off yesterday, cried the whole time. Put the wig on and did not look for hours. Sent selfies to friends of me in the wig. I have Velcro head too. Not sure who is looking back in the mirror. Feels funny. Had my second AC today fingers crossed I feel okay. Let’s get this mess done ladies....

Lauren

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

Laurenci,

My husband gave me a buzz cut Monday night. I was so over being covered with hair in the shower. I put some makeup on last night and wore my wig out. I was surprised when someone told me he liked my haircut 😁

I've resigned myself to the fact it is what it is but if I can make it better in anyway I will try.

Good luck with your second AC. My second was easier than my first. Just fatigue and constipation. I hope yours isn't rough.

Best always

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

So my first chemo session didn't get off to a great start. Got to the hospital at 9am, had the blood test, then had to wait until 11am to see my doctor as it was a public holiday the following day so totally packed.

Got the all clear and went up to the chemo center where they had lots of trouble finding a suitable vein, and we spent an hour trying different ones with saline. Finally found one they were happy with and got going. Took 6 hours at the hospital in all. I felt quite lightheaded coming home and because I hadn't eaten I decided to have some lunch. Big mistake. About 1 hour later the nausea and vomiting started. I went to bed feeling terrible and have stayed there ever since.Slept on and off but I feel the same this morning. I'll take the meds - hopefully I can eat something a bit later for the steroids.

Phew, really wasn't expecting to feel so bad on the first day. Thank god my son is off school today to keep an eye on me. He's been fantastic. Just hope the vomiting stops as I'm only bringing up water now.

• dianabee
    dianabee Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi ladies, well I was supposed to start this week, but I've been bumped so next week it is. Perhaps I should have signed up the April group. Anyways, I'm ready to roll: had my brows microbladed (and I love them) my cold caps are waiting, got a deal on ice, using Latisse on my lashes and taking my B supplements, silica and glutamine. I've been working on getting my lungs in a good place and controlling COPD breathing issues better, surgery really knocked me out in that respect. Spent a week in Mexico to help clear anxiety (for me and husband) last week. I'm as ready for this as I'm gonna be!

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

stick with us, Dianab. We have your back. You are going to rock it!

Jean

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options

hi everyone,

I am right behind you with the hair coming out...so far nothing doing but I am going back to the place I got my wig on Wednesday next week to have it shaved before my second AC. Cannot handle the anticipation. Feel like i need to get through that part and one more round of SEs and then will reassess whether and when I can go to work through this...first round was so so rough. Had a few ok days where I got some walks in but then all of a sudden yesterday (day 6) I woke up and threw up in the middle of the night and spent the entire day barely functional. Nauseous and exhausted. Could barely eat which scares me since I am thin.... last night after a few hits of cannabis (no joke actually works) I felt slightly better and today I seem to be fine again. I cannot believe i need to do this all over again next Friday!!! It’s a long road but just gotta get through and knock these treatments out... good luck to all of you you are all inspirations that I am not going through this alone!!!!
  • Fallschurchgirl
    Options

LizzieAG. So sorry you are still shaking those SEs. I hope you turn the corner soon. I understand about the work thing. I admire people who work through this. It is tough finding the energy to get dressed and I can’t imagine having to drag myself to work as well. Be strong!

Pokeyspider. Can you talk to your MO about different meds for the nausea? I hope you are feeling better today and that the SEs are more under control.

Unbreakable Have you tried bamboo for the beanie yet? I found them to be not that hot- and I am always hot. I even slept in one last night and found it comfortable. I have ordered one that looks more like a baseball cap I find that the ones that are really shaped to the head make me look sick. I am not really fashionable, but I seem to really care about the look of the beanie who knew

Lauren. I understand what you mean about the stranger in the mirror. I am sure we will get used to it, but it is hard!

Everyone have a great day.

Jean

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

oh. Forgot to mention that I had developed a small rash on my shoulder. I had been slapping hydrocortisone on it, but at my MO appointment the PA said she was on the fence about the rash being SHINGLES. UGH. So she put me on shingles meds. I don’t want to be on them, but I don’t want that. And wouldn’t you know that after 2 doses the rash is almost gone.

If it isn’t one thing it is another.

Hugs

• santabarbarian
    Options

Lizzie, cannabis was great for me too. I did not have horrific nausea but more of a regular intermittent queasy feeling that made me averse to food, like I was afraid I could tip over into bad nausea if I ate (or smelled, or even thought about) the wrong thing. Cannabis took away that queasiness swiftly.

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Fallschurchgirl I agree with the formed beanies making me look sick. I settled in with the thin cotton slouch beanie. I will definitely try the bamboo fabric as hot flashes are really getting to me at night, beanie on, beanie off. It would be nice to get to a steady body temperature.

Wishing everyone a good day with managable SEs. Off to bloodwork.

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

Santabarbarian

I've read a few of your posts regarding mimic fasting and I'm going to try it for my next round of chemo. I've had a terrible bout of constipation again and the miralax and even prescription stool softener are not doing the trick. I know you've posted that you had no GI issues and attribute to fasting. I figure that along with the other benefits you've mentioned is more than enough reason for me to try it.

• santabarbarian
    Options

Good luck Dawn, I hope it helps you!! I did still get some constipation, but it didn't HURT, the way it hurt in round one. I also took magnesium citrate at night - 2-4 capsules.

• betterdazeahead
    betterdazeahead Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hey All! I feel like I fell off the planet! I have been downright miserable with SE hopefully last night (day 6 into 7) was the worst of it and that upswing is around the corner....ALL night long diarrhea and vomiting OMG it was horrific especially when it gets to the point of dry heaving Sick Seriously don't know how to get through AC - I expected SE but not so bad, not 1st round, not this long. I am kind of having one of those days where a pity party is in order before I shake myself off and stand up again.

XO ~Sophie

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Sophie ,

So sorry you are having such a hard time. Have you called your doctor? They should be able to prescribe something to help. Keep fighting!

Laure

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options

Sophie I am with you!!! I started just after you, 3/15. Yesterday (day 6) was horrible and was also the day after a night of throwing up. I was also questioning how I can bring myself do this 3 more times (assuming taxol will be “easier” so mentally dividing it into 4 and 4). Nauseous just thinking about it.... last night I started to turn a corner and felt half normal. Today was much much better. I even went for a long walk outside (yesterday I was barely out of bed). I am taking zofran regularly, and using cannabis sparingly from a vape. It was the only thing that helped (i am not usually a smoker, that is my husbands vice and I have now taken it as my own!). The hardest part for me is eating when I really have zero interest.... but rest assured that you will feel less defeated on the better days! Definitely talk to your dr about getting the nausea under control. I hope tomorrow is better!!!
  • sheila77
    sheila77 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Fallschurch - I think I will feel as you do when my hair falls out. I am cutting it short tomorrow, hopefully it will get me ready. But what can really get you ready for that?? - Shingles - sorry you have that too. It its not one thing its another....

pokyspider - so sorry you had such a bad first experience. I hope you are doing better with the SE's.

dinabee - I also got my eyebrows microbladed. It was time for a touch up anyway. What are you taking the Vit B for?

LizzieAG - sorry you are having such a hard time with the SE's. I used a THC tincture that also helped with my nausea. I prefer that over the Zofran.

Sophie - sorry you are having such an issue with SE's. Rest when you can.

I have a good week so far. The fatigue is even getting better. I do have a rash/skin irritation on my chest where they used tape for my port. Maybe I'll post a pic for my MO to ensure it is nothing.

Hang in there - the bad days will get better.

• Chickywicky
    Chickywicky Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi everyone!

Finally a bit of good news today - the cardiologist cleared me to start chemo as scheduled on March 26. Never thought I'd be excited about that, but I'm just anxious to start getting better!

I also had my port placed on Monday - was much more painful than I expected, but I figure that the discomfort from the port is probably less than the cumulative discomfort of weekly IVs for the next 12-15 months!

IBest wishes for everyone!