Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting March 2019

Options

Comments

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

Hi everyone,

My thyroid lobectomy surgery is on Friday but I have to go into hospital tomorrow for pre-op. They said I'd be in for about a week (everything is a 1 week stay here!) so I'll only have a few days at home before starting my 1st FEC100 chemo on March 20th. Bit concerned that I'll be starting chemo just 12 days following surgery but I guess it's fine or they wouldn't have scheduled it. Mastectomy and ALND was on Jan 24th so really eager to get on with it now!

Anyone had trouble with cording? I've had pain on and off in my arm since surgery. Feels like a ligament running from my armpit to elbow which stops my arm extending right out. Back of my arm from shoulder to elbow also has nerve damage and feels numb/sunburned all the time. It seems to be getting a little better over time but maybe I'm just getting used to it! I'm doing the arm and body stroking to move the fluid but it's really annoying when you have a few good days and then suddenly it's back to square one for no apparent reason. Ah well.

Hope everyone that has started chemo is doing ok. Thinking of you all.

x

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hi LizzieAG, we have kids of similar age. I have been drawing on your strength.

DebraC, good luck with your treatment.

Day 4 post 1st chemo coming to a close. So far the best day since infusion. I am up to about 30 minutes of light household chores before fatigue set in. Seriously, this fatigue is no joke. And the night sweats. They are wild.

Thankful that there has been no need for anti nausea meds, though they are on hand just in case. Seems the dexamethasone and granisetron kept vomiting and nausea at bay.

As for pain, finally broke down and took an extra strength tylenol today for the bone pain (neck, hips, thigh) from nuelasta. Will definitely do this earlier in subsequent treatments. The pain was not bad but why be in discomfort if you don't have to?

Eating...I cannot stop eating. Yogurt, applesauce, shrimp, beets, broccoli and carrots. Nothing taste good because of the annoying metallic taste but I am always hungry. I have been drinking at least 2l per day. I miss fresh fruit. Were you guys told to avoid fresh fruit? A fellow warrior at my treatment mentioned it to me.

Still a little constipated. I will definitely start the senekot earlier next round.

Anyone had their period delayed? I had one scheduled to start Mar 1 which it did. However, was over by March 2. Did chemopause set in?

Does anyone know about when nail changes will begin to appear? I think I dread this more than my hair falling out.

Good luck with your treatment everyone 😀

• Fallschurchgirl
    Fallschurchgirl Member Posts: 62
    Options

unbreakable. You are the champ on no SEs. I am so happy you are doing so well.

I seem just the opposite. Second night up at 3 and can’t go back to sleep. Emailed this morning to see what I can take for that. No bone pain yet, but have been taking my Claritin like a champ. Have another week or so until my period is due, so will let you know. I would love to skip that! No real hunger and seems like the nausea is just barely under control

If I have left anyone off the list at the top, let me know I try to add after your first post- but I am a bit distracted.

Everyone have a great day.

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Hi all, I am going to try to answer as many questions as I can but chemo brain has set in big time.

I pee constantly while I am getting chemo. I just unplug the IV pole and roll it into the bathroom with me! Only been tangled up in it once!

As for my period. I had an odd day of spotting after my first treatment and then a full on period about a week after my second. Nothing so far with third.

As for nail changes, Taxotere is definitely harsher on nails based on my cancer support group. I have had only some discoloring due to low rbc and they are very brittle.

Wishing everyone very little SE

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Wishing all the March chemo warriors mellow SEs, restful naps, and restorative walks in the sunshine! You have many many sisters in this experience and we know how intense it is! Hear us clapping for you and cheering you on!

I am going to share a tip from late in my chemo, that I wish I'd done earlier: I got two kittens between #5 and #6! It was sooooo distracting and comforting to have two goofy little beings scampering around... took me outside myself in an easy, natural way. Something to consider, for anyone who is contemplating adopting a kitty anyhow. Once you put away all the breakable objects, kittens are so easy, charming, and cuddly. I got a fishing pole toy so I could just lie there and flick my wrist and they would go insane chasing the toy. They are here with me at the hotel while I do radiation out of town and I am so happy to have them!

Just a thought for anyone who is down, because it is impossible to be down with kittens in the picture. :-)

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Unbreakable1 where in Ontario are you? I grew up in Montreal and went to school in Toronto! In NY now and now dealing with the issues re work that I always bragged about getting to skip since I had my kids in Canada (well, my son) and had the year paid maternity leave.

Thanks for everyone’s tips, March 15 is getting real close now! It’s my 40th birthday tomorrow and I’m trying to gear up to smile and accept the happy birthdays despite all the rest, mostly going to put on a happy birthday face for my kids, as I would just as soon skip this one and celebrate 41 in a huge way hopefully on the other side of this.... heading to Miami tomorrow for a long weekend so at least some birthday sun and distraction... back Tuesday and port appointment 7am Thursday. Chemo day 1 Friday... it’s go time.

Keep the helpful hints coming and I will hopefully feel well enough to do the same !!!
  • betterdazeahead
    betterdazeahead Member Posts: 37
    Options

sugarcactus Good Luck today! If you can check in and let us know how your day panned out. Biotene as well as the biotene toothpaste was another recommendation my cancer center gave me. My stepmom has MBC and was at my house a few weeks ago - she was cleaning her mouth with salt and baking soda in water but was complaining how badly her toothpaste was hurting her so I grabbed the biotene toothpaste I bought for when I start my chemo and she used it -- NO PAIN at all with it, I had her keep it and ran to get a new one for myself.

Debbie I hope your surgery goes well today!

I was at the dentist doing all my pre chemo cleaning and he was suggesting fluoride trays to use overnight. Has anyone else had this suggested to them? I am going to ask my team as well as call my insurance to ask if it can be covered. The dentist also said NO whitening toothpaste during chemo.

I am so thankful we got this group formed to support one another!! XOXO to ALL!

• Unbreakable1
    Options

Hey fellow Canadian LizzieAG, I am in Barrie. I hope you have a happy birthday. Here's to a kick ass 40th year filled with healing and warm hugs.

Wishing everyone smiles today.

• ucfknights
    ucfknights Member Posts: 91
    Options

mom will be starting chemo March 11 4 AC, 12 T

• betterdazeahead
    Options

ucfknights (Love your name BTW) that is the same treatment I am having. I start on the 14th .

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Hi warriors,

I have been on the February board. I had my first AC treatment today (ACx4 Tx10). The experience was okay. So far, all I have is a headache. And so we begin...

Lauren

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Hi Betterdazeahead!

I went to the dentist for a pre-Chemo cleaning and she recommended a fluoride rinse during Chemo.

Laure

• sheila77
    sheila77 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Hi All,

Hope everyone is having a good day!

polyspider - you mentioned cording. I also had issues with cording. I am still going to Physical Therapy, but yesterday was the first day that I did not have cording. During PT the therapist would stretch something (it felt like she was squeezing something out) on my arm. I do feel like I have more mobility now and the pain has subsided.

fallschurchgirl - hope you are doing well. I see that you are a week ahead of me with your TC protocol. Has your insomnia improved? I already use my essential oil diffuser with lavender and cedarwood to help me sleep when I go to bed with lots of things on my mind. So I will not be surprised if I also will experience this SE.

sugarcactus and unbreakable- hope you are managing your SE.

I go for my port placement tomorrow, so it is getting real!! I hope to continue to use my essential oils to help with my anxiety, nausea and insomnia.

And this to shall pass!

• santabarbarian
    Options

Be aware melatonin, a natural sleep aid, is considered protective re BC. Great sleep inducer. I did not suffer sleep problems, but I am on 20 mg per night for cancer properties. If you begin from zero you have to work your way up to 20 gradually.

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Santabarbarian- thanks for the melatonin tip, I looked into it a little bit more and it looks like it is more beneficial for those who are estrogen positive but I am going to ask my MO as well.

• betterdazeahead
    Options

LizzieAG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!! I hope you have a fantastic weekend away Heart

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

Happy, happy birthday, LizzieAG

• Dawmar
    Dawmar Member Posts: 13
    Options

Having Chemo because of the High Risk.

Port went in yesterday extremely sore today! Supposed to start AC tomorrow but haven’t had my echo done yet, so I may have to push my start date to next week. The MO and my PC are trying to push to have it done tomorrow morning, so that they don’t delay treatment. I really don’t mind a delay ; ).

I have short hair now but want to get a pixie cut which I have scheduled for next week. Not sure I can deal with clumps of hair falling out. Although I have come to terms with eventually having temporary baldness.

As I read everyone’s comments my main concern or worries will be the side affect. “ The fear of the unknown”. Because everyones experience is different.

So my younger sister is getting married in June and I am the Maid of Honor, I told her I will be bald maid of honor and she said the make up artist will make me beautiful. She even suggested we get a silk scarf for a head wrap if I wanted.

LizzieAG 🎂 Happy Birthday 🎉🎊🎁🎈

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

dawmar. I hope your soreness lessens soon from the port. I finally don’t notice after a week. Let us know what they do tomorrow and if you start treatment. Remember. The sooner you start, the sooner you can finish!

SEs kicking my butt. Bone pain. Mouth. Fatigue. Little nausea. The bone pain is the worst. Everyone take their Claritin before Neulasta.

• santabarbarian
    Options

Claritin: start it 2 days before chemo day; take 7 days total -- this was my MO's recommendation, which I followed, and I did not experience bone pain.

• Chickywicky
    Chickywicky Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group. I was diagnosed with Paget's on February 8. Follow up imaging showed invasive ductal carcinoma. Originally, my surgeon had planned to do surgery first, but once testing came back indicating ER-/PR-/HER2+, everything changed. I met with my medical oncologist today, and will now start with neoadjuvant therapy with Taxol weekly and Herceptin every 3 weeks. My first treatment will either be March 19 or 26 depending on when I can schedule port placement and echocardiogram. I've had numerous surgeries in the last year (2 melanoma excisions, a lumpectomy for a weird, but benign cyst, and a hysterectomy) so I felt comfortable with the surgery route. Chemo first has thrown me for a loop!

• santabarbarian
    Options

The advantage with chemo first is that you can see how the tumor responds. You can know the chemo is working or switch plans if it is not working. I got chemo first with a TNBC tumor. With surgery first, you wouldn't know. Also, sometimes you get a less invasive surgery. If they had removed my original tumor, I wou;d have lost half my breast and all my nodes. After chemo, they took a large-gumball-sized piece that I can barely notice and 4 nodes.

It's counterintuitive, I know. I wanted that sucker OUT -- but my team helped me see the merits of their plan.

Good luck!!!

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

santabarbarian. Sadly I took my Claritin just like that. And still got the pain. Just lucky I guess.

• betterdazeahead
    Options

Chickywicky welcome to our group. I like what santabarbarian said to you....I personally don't have experience with what you are going through but love that others do and chime in to help out. I wish you well and peace on your journey.

Jean - I am so sorry your SE are kicking in and the Claritin hasn't helped. I wonder if your team will have any other ideas to help with that bone pain you are experiencing. For your mouth - my team really suggested using biotene mouth wash - I also bought the toothpaste. They also suggested daily rinse with warm water salt and baking soda. My dentist told me absolutely do not use any whitening toothpastes during chemo as well as suggested fluoride trays to keep my teeth healthier. I hope you are able to rest to combat your fatigue and that you have plenty of anti-nausea meds at home to keep you feeling comfortable. ((((((HUGS)))))))

Shelia77 I hope your port placement goes well today! Keep us posted.

WELP It is Friday --- TGIF Ladies! Anyone doing anything fun over the weekend? I know I will be living vicariously through LizzieAG - don't forget to tell us how your fun weekend getaway turns out next week Winking My daughter has another volleyball tournament this weekend - I am torn on going or not after being reprimanded by my surgeon this week for last weekend. Maybe since she plays on Saturday night I will have my husband take her and I can do a date night with my son. Then we can all go on Sunday to watch her as those tend to be shorter days.

XOXO ~Sophie

• santabarbarian
    Options

Fallschurch, that is such a bummer. Let the MO know -- he/she might be able to give you something stronger. Did you get any ativan? I never used mine but just the help in sleeping could blank out the pain a little...

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

Hey, Sophie. Thanks for your kind words. Based on your earlier advise I just bought the Biotene toothpaste. I have the mouthwash and have been doing the baking soda/salt rinse. That feels so good on my mouth. I just didn’t want to get into the weekend and not have magic mouthwash. I also feel a bit like a yeast infection coming on. Joy

I just had a great conversation with the oncologist office. She is calling in a prescription for the mouthwash. I can bump up pain meds for the bone pain. ANd she told me that if I get it this time, I may not get it next time. So at least I don’t have to dread that. And I can try a trazadon to sleep tonight. But they are not keen on sleeping meds.

Pokeyspider. Good luck with your surgery today. Please let us know how you are doing.

Unbreakable are you still keeping the SEs at bay? I hope so you are my role model!

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Sophie- don’t over do.

• betterdazeahead
    Options

Jean what is this magic mouthwash you speak of????? I LOVE that you are able to get ahold of your team so quickly and how responsive they are to you...that is AWESOME!!! Now fingers crossed this new plan is helpful for you. I promise I will not over do anything this weekend.....I guess I just really want to enjoy as much as I can before Thursday roles around I know it will be here more quickly then I would like LOL

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

magic mouthwash. A prescription that the pharmacy mixes up. Has Benadryl, lydicane, yeast stuff, maylox. Or a combo of these.It is mixed according to your symptoms. If you get thrush.

• Unbreakable1
    Options

Dawmar, hope everything works out with your scheduling. You will be a gorgeous maid of honor!😊

Chickywicky, welcome to the group. Keep us updated as you go through your journey.

Fatigue and bone pain has been kicking my butt for the last couple of days. Been taking tylenol which takes the edge off but it is the annoying headache that keeps coming back, that is really messing with me, ugh! I think I will try the claritin regimen the next round if my MO clears it seeing that I also have lupus and to watch meds I take. I am learning to accept help and keeping my bum on the couch.

It is the weekend and next week is March break (at least in my neck of the woods). Here's to a managable SE, and a great family time🤗.

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Thank you so much for the birthday wishes everyone! I am feeling each and every day of my 40 years... but trying my best to enjoy the mini break in Miami with my kids and parents and siblings before reality sets it when I get my port on Thursday and begin AC on Friday!!! Also hiding from the breast cancer conference going on in my hotel that my husband is attending, the first person I saw when we were checking in was my surgeon!!

Sending positive sunny vibes to all of you, I am right behind you and gathering strength from all of you!!!