Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting March 2019

Options

Comments

• Chickywicky
    Chickywicky Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update - my start date was pushed back to March 26 in order to accommodate scheduling of an echocardiogram and port placement. The echo happened last Tuesday and showed a borderline low ejection fraction which is worrisome since Herceptin is known for its effects on the heart (specifically lowering the ejection fraction). So now I have to meet with a cardiologist later this week to see if she will clear me to start treatment, or if my oncologist needs to come up with a different treatment plan. The uncertainty is driving me crazy and ramping up my tendency for anxiety! I just want to start doing something - either killing the cancer cells with chemo or surgery to take it out...

In the meantime, I'm cooking like crazy to stock the freezer with meals for my family and for me. I enjoy cooking and it keeps my mind from racing! At this rate, I may need to buy an extra freezer!

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Hope all are feeling ok with either side effects of preparing! I’m ok over here after Friday’s first AC... feeling kind of “off” a bit nauseous and upset tummy and lower energy than usual but so far manageable... not a lot of fun though! Hoping the rest of the week is a bit better but we shall see... and gearing up for the hairloss which should kick in before round 2... these are crazy times, so glad to have this group of those who get it!
  • Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Chickywicky— so sorry that you have all these delays, the waiting is really the worst, once you are doing something, it makes it easier. That being said chemo is tough and don’t let anyone tell you it’s not!

Lizzie AG-glad your first treatment went well. I battled a ton of nausea my first round but it definitely was the best, even with that! Just finished my fourth and final AC and hanging in there. Really trying to push myself to do a bit more than usual and see if that helps

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hi ladies, so happy to hear that for the most part the SE are managable. I try to tell myself to take on this journey one day at a time, but sometimes anxiety get the best of me. Chickywicky I totally get what you are going through. Hang in there, everything will fall into place. In the meantime I am sending hugs your way🤗.

My hair, well it is all gone. That was an experience I hope I never have to go through again. I am just really thankful that my kids took it as well as they did.

• Fallschurchgirl
    Fallschurchgirl Member Posts: 62
    Options

unbreakable. I still have my hair. I alternate between checking to see if it is falling out, dreaming that maybe I won’t lose it and freaking out that chemo might not be working if I still have hair.

Can you give me a timeline of the event- since you are 3 days ahead of me. Thanks!

Jean

• Unbreakable1
    Options

Hi Fallschurchgirl, it started fall out on day 13. Just slightly. My scalp was really tender and just a slight headache. On day 14 my 9 year old asked me if I fell and hit my head as a child because I am missing a patch of hair at the back of my head. This was one of my lowest point. By the afternoon on day 15 my head got really itchy so I decided to wash it in an attempt to soothe the itch and tenderness. That is when the bulk of it fell off, leaving some patches. So I got my husband to shave it off for me . My family all got a turn to rub my head. We laughed until we cried, not sure why. But it felt good afterwards.

I find it really hot when I try to cover it up but get cold when I leave it wide open. Hoping to find a happy medium soon.

I understand the anxiety that comes with this. I was there. I am sure the chemo is working. Hang tight, sadly hair loss is inevitable. Just know we are all sending hugs your way.

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

thanks for the info. Looks like the next 2 days will tell the tale for me. I hope you find the right beanie that helps regulate the temperature. I will keep you all updated.

Jean

• Unbreakable1
    Options

Thank you🤗

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

I had my 2nd round of chemo Friday and if going by my last round today should be my worse day. After 1st round I had flu like symptoms, aches, pains and chills. So far today I'm just extremely tired. No aches or pains. I've lost my taste since my 1st treatment but I can live with it because it's temporary. Same with my hair. I started losing it on day 12 and will get a buzz cut tomorrow. If all this temporary pain results in me being cancer free then I can deal with it. Best of luck to you

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

There are light cotton beanies that are slouchy (like Smurf hats) that are great. I got mine on Amazon, black & white. Very comfy & easy. And I would dress it up w a scarf or a headwrap, if I felt like it. Did not wear a wig once. Also, not all of my hair fell out. It ended up very thin and sort of "male pattern" bald (top was bald but sides hung in there). I cut it off at about chin length as it began to fall out, and let what remained peek out of my beanie, probably fooling some people that I was just having a bad hair day. I was on Carboplatin & Taxotere and my hair came out right around my 2nd chemo.

Note: I did use freezable caps on my head (also from Amazon) -- they are for migraine sufferers-- from chemo #2 thru 6. I had missed the boat on cold caps on the first chemo but thought, nmaybe it will help it grow back. My hair was definitely re-growing by the last chemo, and looked normal-short by about 10 weeks after last chemo.

I do have a hilarious pic of myself sporting a comb-over, looking way too much like my Dad...

• Dawmar
    Dawmar Member Posts: 13
    Options

is anyone experiencing extreme constipation? It's been so bad for me. Any tips

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

Dawmar. OMG yes. Terrible. Lots of Mirilax. But don’t do what I did. Ducolax suppository fixed it but made me miserable for 2 days.

Next time I will start the Miralax earlier and keep it up.

Jean

• santabarbarian
    Options

Fasting Mimicking Diet 5 days, or fasting 3 days w chemo day in the middle. Part of it is the steroids making you eat a lot the first day or two... and then the GI tract shuts down. Fasting also had benefits (with rats) in boosting response to chemo. Google Valter Longo, Fasting mimicking or search this site... I swear by it.

Also magnesium citrate at night, several capsules.

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

I did the first round, but then balanced it with senna. I start with one the morning of chemo and then I take 2 at night and 1 in the morning for 5 days, it has kept me going!

• betterdazeahead
    betterdazeahead Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hey everybody!

I am feeling horrible from my 1st round of AC. I just can't quite get myself feeling normal. I have been sleeping a ton and when I am up feel like I am in such a daze all dizzy like. It is miserable! I think it is the one anti nausea pill they gave me making me feel lousy. Today I had indigestion so badly I vomited. I don't know how to do this feeling so cruddy....and I am definitely one for a positive mind set but this is just difficult!

~Sophie

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Betterdazeahead

Sophie,

Sorry you are having such a hard time. I found the haze feeling lasted about 5 days, but it did end and I did feel more normal and could function. Maybe call your doctor (that is what they are there for) and check on you nausea meds. Maybe they can give you something else. Hang in there!

Lauren

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

so sorry you are feeling so terrible, Sophie. I hope that as each day progresses, you feel better and better. I do think there should be a different anti-nausea drug that should make you less dopey. Sending hugs!

On a side note, I am shedding like a Labrador in spring.

• Baldbeauty242
    Baldbeauty242 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hello everyone. I just joined this site a few moments ago. I am not sure if am doing this right but here I go.

I got diagnosed in November of last year but just started my chemotherapy March 4th, 2019. My next session is next week Monday, the 25th.

I did not get nauseated or anything but I had severe constipation. I am not sure if it was the chemotherapy drug itself, but i think it was the meds I was given to prevent vomiting and nausea. I also seem to not be able to shake this sore throat, runny nose, etc. It was lingering for like 3 weeks. Went to 2 different doctors and it now seems to be under control. However, I can still feel my throat. I am using apple cider vinegar as well to help with the throat. Tired of pharmaceutical drugs...chemo alone is enough drugs going into my body. I plan not to take the Kytril and Dexamethasone that they will give me for nausea and vomiting. I'd rather vomit than be constipated. That is the worst feeling in the world. Plus there is a good chance that I will not get nauseated since everyone is affected differently. Time will tell.

I am having chemo first, then surgery when I am through.

I live in the Bahamas..hence my username Baldbeauty242Winking

My husband tells me that I am a bald beauty, but that's what all husbands say.Smile

I shaved my head a week before chemo. i did not want to see it drop out.

I also got some Miralax for the constipation and it worked. I am scared to get constipated again. It was the worse feeling. When should i start taking the Miralax?

Same day as chemo, or the say after? Want to be safe than sorry. What if it is the drug and not the nausea meds. Think I'm getting Adriamycin (RED IN COLOR).

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

welcome to the group, Baldbeauty. So sorry to hear about your terrible constipation and the sore throat. I start #2 on the 25th as well. Are you on TC or AC? I hope the second one is better for you. Keep us posted.

Jean

• Baldbeauty242
    Options

Thank You Jean.Smile I really hope so too.

I think it's Adriamycin. I will ask if it's combined with anything else.

• laurencl
    Options

mine too! Washed it one last time.Decided it goes tomorrow. Hope I can handle it...

Lauren

• Baldbeauty242
    Options

Just try to think it's temporary and it will grow back Lauren.

Just think of the reason....for you to be CANCER free.

Kick CANCER in it's stinking BUTT.

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

I was constipated for 4 days after my 1st round of chemo. I took Miralax but it wasn't enough. My oncologist prescribed a liquid stool softener and that did the trick. I just had my 2nd round and stopped taking stool softener because I had diarrhea. Now I'm trying to figure out a balance. I'm thinking of just taking miralax every other day till my next treatment, then taking the prescribed stool softener the morning of. Everyone's body is different but I'll let you know if it works.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    Options

Dear Baldbeauty242,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry for your cancer but glad that you are here. We can see that you are already connecting to others and getting and offering support. We hope that you will stay active here. There is also a topic on Constipation. You may find some tips there too.

The Mods

• laurencl
    Options

Yes you are right! It is temporary, just feels like one more thing being thrown at you. It looks like we have the same chem prior to surgery. May sound silly but a morning cup of coffee kept me from the constipation issue.... made me feel more normal too.

Laurew

• santabarbarian
    Options

You warriors who are experiencing GI effects: Please consider the fasting mimicking diet!! It is a bit of a chore, but WAY easier than barfing, diarrhea, or constipation! It helps a lot. You can do a total water-only fast for 3 days, w chemo day in the middle, or you can do a semi-fast for 5 days with chemo day in the middle. I am an eater, so I did the latter... The formula is 1,100 cals on day one, and 800 cals days 2-5. You do very low protein (10-15% of calories, apx), plus healthy fats (avocado/nuts), and veggies. (In fact, 3 medium avocados is pretty close to 800 cals and the right balance of fat, carbs and protein... but I needed a bit more variety, so I looked stuff up and varied my meals).

Fasting kicks your system into a "preserve healthy cells and kill damaged cells" mode and thus (per animal studies) actually boosts the effects of chemo while reducing SEs. Part of it is just not having a lot in your tummy when the GI track shuts down. When you "re-feed" (important!) eat nutrient dense foods and a good variety of healthy food, including carbs like lentils, sweet potato or quinoa, greens, fruits, proteins, etc. Re-feeding causes an immune system surge, another plus.

Google Dr Valter Longo, USC. He developed the protocol and there is a ton of science behind it. A clinical trial is in progress now but I was certain low cals for 5 days would not kill me so I did it. Several others in the August chemo group tried it too and all of us found it much better than not doing it. I plan to do it every 3 months as an immune system tune up throughout my window of recurrence (3 years).

• Baldbeauty242
    Options

Wow that is a long time to be constipated DawnS1962. So sorry for that. The Miralax helped me good along with drinking more water and eating more salad with my protein instead of rice or bread.

Thank you Mods for your welcome. I will definitely check out the topic on constipation.

Laurencl you may be surprised, but I also tried the coffee. It was actually recommended when I googled constipation. So I am glad to hear it worked for you. I am not a coffee drinker but during my next round of chemo, I will be drinking coffee daily up to at least a week after along with Miralax and plenty water and salad. The Constipation I experienced was the worse thing that happened to me in a while. 😩

• Baldbeauty242
    Options

Santabarbarian I would love to know more about this. Sounds interesting. Thing is, I get so weak If I do not eat 3 meals a day with snacks in between. I wonder if I will survive that.🤔

• Jenkins00
    Jenkins00 Member Posts: 99
    Options

Hello! I’m from the January group and for constipation I use Phillips Milk of Magnesia. Seems to be the best for me as I tried Miralax, Senakot and Ducolax with no success. I also eat prunes and put dried apricots in my oatmeal or cream of wheat. Water is important too.

Good luck!

• santabarbarian
    Options

baldbeauty, I am the same... but the hardest part, truly, is downshifting to the lighter eating -- that's probably why the first day you get1100 cals. Here are a few ideas for very low cal foods that can be selected... bone broth, vegetable soup, sauteed spinach and garlic, almonds or almond butter, chopped mixed salad, HB egg, half an avocado w salsa, small serving broiled fish... if you can come up with several ~150 calorie mini meals, then you can have six of them. Thats what I did. Honestly, anything not to have the pain of the constipation is worth it. I had high grade TNBC so was also very interested in boosting the effects of my chemo. (If you have bad constipation or nausea SEs, it's more a question of "*which* 3-5 days shall I not eat?" -- because those ruin one's appetite too...)