Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting March 2019

Options

Comments

• ucfknights
    ucfknights Member Posts: 91
    Options

hey ladies! Mom had her first treatment on Monday and she said she feels fine! For my sake, when should she (if any) begin to feel any SE? What about hair loss? I don’t think I’m mentally prepared to see my mom bald :( she personally is so strong and it’s the least of her worries

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

She will likely feel it the most on day 3-4-5. They put steroids in with the chemo so you float out of chemo feeling pretty decent, and then the steroids wear off.

Keep her walking each day. Even when feeling weak/lousy a brief walk will help a lot, for her to pass through the SEs. Lots and lots of water. If water tastes bad from the metallic flavor in her mouth, spike some ginger or kombucha or juice in there to flavor it.

Encourage lots of napping.

If in doubt, take the anti nausea medicine-- I took it on the dot of every 8 hours for the first couple of days.

Many people develop constipation or other gastrointestinal side effects. Magnesium Citrate at bedtime works wonders for constipation and is actually good for you.

Hairloss sets in about 3 weeks after chemo. I wasn't mentally prepared to see MYSELF bald, but actually when it happened it just sort of rolled off my back and wasn't a big deal. I bought a couple of cotton beanies off amazon and did not bother with wigs.

You are a great daughter! I am sure your Mom is so glad to have your love and care. My 27 year old son flew home to care for me during one of my chemos and I appreciated it so much.... it was honestly one of the pinnacle experiences of my life to be taken care of by my son.

• betterdazeahead
    betterdazeahead Member Posts: 37
    Options

Welcome solobroker!

UCFKnights - your Mom is so lucky to have you looking out for her!!!! With her and I being on the same regiment I can tell you what my team told me will likely happen and when. 

I was concerned with when I would feel badly as I have 2 kiddos, one of whom plays a ton of volleyball and it was important to me to be able to attempt getting to her games as much as possible. I was told that typically 3-4 days after is when you feel your worst for a few days. 

I was told to be prepared that my hair loss will happen before my 2nd infusion - they told me roughly day 12-14. 

I was told that either/or/neither could happen between constipation and diarrhea.

They talked to me about mouth sores and oral care to help prevent them. - no whitening toothpaste, brush with a soft tooth brush, biotene, water with salt and baking soda rinses

We talked about how taste buds can change and how to eat and hydrate properly (dietitian is involved here to help)

I was told our 1st phase is definitely much harder then the 2nd phase will be.

I was told more so with the 2nd phase that nails can have issues turning changing black/falling out. 

I was also told 2nd phase has higher incidence of neuropathy occurring. 

They gave me tips for everything as well I was given information from the pharmacist here at MDA on each of the drugs - If you would like I can try to print out the information online for you to look at. 

~Sophie

• sheila77
    sheila77 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Good Morning Warriors,

I had my first infusion of TC on Monday (3/11) which went better than I expected. I think the mystery of the unknown was the cause of my anxiety. I felt good on Monday and went for a walk. My main issues have been headaches, fatigue, insomnia and some nausea.

I did go to work yesterday for four hours and then went to get my Fulphila injection. Took a good nap and took it easy. I just felt like I was "coming down" with something all day. Headache, fatigue and a heaviness. Today I am staying home to rest and be prepared if I experience any other SE's. I am doing all that I can naturally so that I don't have to take medications!! I will be using my essential oils and CBD oil if needed.

UCFKnights- I am happy to see you on here for your mom. My daughter has been very supportive to me as well. It is a blessing to a mom! Stay strong with her - you will both get through this!

Get your rest when you can and go for a walk.

And this to shall pass.

Sheila

• Dawmar
    Dawmar Member Posts: 13
    Options

just got home from my 1st treatment. I was so nervous, but my nurse was the best she was so funny and entertaining made the time go by so much quicker and made my 1st treatment a great experience. Thank you Jan! I felt a little woozy during treatment. I am getting tired, Now just waiting for some of the dread SE’s

I feel like I can’t eat my entire refrigerator and pantry closet right now. I am starving. Any one else get extremely hungry after you first treatment?

How is everyone else feeling after your first treatment this week?

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Dawmar, I came home and ate. I was hungry too. The only SE I had that day was a headache that night. Took a Tylenol and slept all night. Don’t look for things to happen until they do. Did they tell you to take nausea medicine tomorrow? Take it on time and you will be ok. Glad you made it through!

Lauren

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Dawmar- so happy that you had a positive experience today. I too was hungry for the first week after infusion. My husband was pleasantly amazed at how much I could put away. Take rest as needed over the next few days. Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

• Solobroker
    Solobroker Member Posts: 13
    Options

Thank you for the welcome. It is nice to have a place to come to with common concerns.

HI. My next treatment is on Monday the 18th.

I have been trying to make the most of this week, so far so good.

• Dawmar
    Options

Laurencl no they did not give anti nausea meds. The nurse asked me if the doctor called inscript for me, And No she did not. If she did she did not tell me, although she did ask what pharmacy I use. I will have to call in the morning and find out.

Unbreakable a healthy appetite is good!

Solobroker good luck on the 18th. My F/U with my MO is the 19th. They haven’t scheduled my next treatment yet

• Solobroker
    Options

Thank you!

MO prescribed the anti-nausea before my first treatment and suggested I take it the day after treatment, which I was glad I did.

Also to take a Clariton the day before as well and continue to take after.

SO far I have my days for chemo treatments booked every two weeks with a visit in between to check my WBC.

I have read on other threads about cold mittens. Does anyone have an idea what that's about?

Thanks - Sherrie

• santabarbarian
    Options

to ice your hands, to prevent nerve damage/neuropathy. You can buy freezable mittens on Amazon. But plain old ice chips in a cup work too!

• Solobroker
    Options

Oh, thank you!

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options

I’m gearing up to be at the hospital at 7:30 tomorrow morning for my port insertion, and then back the following day at 8:30 for my first dose of AC! Hungry and sleepy sounds perfect, hoping that is also what I feel and nothing more... I am getting super nervous. I am also supposed to go to my kids parent teacher meetings tomorrow evening... might be a tad ambitious. I began Claritin last night and also have the nausea meds already to take this week... good luck everyone and keep the helpful updates coming!

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

LizzieAG

Good luck tomorrow! And Friday! Rest when you can!

Lauren

• Dawmar
    Options

So very little sleep for me last night, some nausea,woke up this morning with a severe headache, flushed face, dry lips and nose. But other that tha I’m good.

LizzieAG good luck today

• sheila77
    sheila77 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Good Morning,

Today is CD4 since my treatment on Monday. I must say, last night was the worst so far. The body aches, bone pain, headache were pretty intense. The nausea is better today - somewhat. I just took a hot bath to try to alleviate the body ache. I was also very fatigued yesterday which is still an issue today. I went for a short walk and was winded when I returned!! But I will attempt another walk today. Even with the pain that I am experiencing, I still feel like I should move...some.

LizzieAG - good luck on your port placement. Ask for the numbing cream to put over the port before you have your infusion. Just take things slow at the teacher conference. Don't over do it! Rest when you can.

• HD9700
    HD9700 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hello everyone...I'll be joining you this month, AC x 4, T x 4 starting 3/20 if I can get my port inserted before then. Otherwise I'll start the next Wednesday, 3/27. My echo is scheduled for 3/19.

I have my first PT consultation for cording on 3/18. I'm hoping to get some relief before the chemo SEs begin.

I came home and scheduled a hair appointment for today. I'm hoping I don't lose it in the stylist's chair. Reminder to self: bring a box of tissues. I have a couple hours to scour Pinterest for pixie cut ideas. I was planning on a shorter cut before I found out that chemo was a certainty anyway.

So glad I have this forum. Even if I don’t post much, I’m always lurking and cheering everyone on.

~Lis

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Welxome Lis— you have the same chemo regimen I am doing! I am currently receiving my last AC treatment as I’m typing this. Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck on the haircut.

• santabarbarian
    Options

Sharon Stone has great haircuts. Same w/ Michelle Williams.

• Fallschurchgirl
    Fallschurchgirl Member Posts: 62
    Options

LizzieAG. How did port placement go today.

Sophie. How did your first Chemo go today

Hope the SEs for my Monday ladies are ok. Please check in and let us know. I hope the bone pain is not too bad.

Pokeyspider how is your week in the hospital? Are you getting rest

Jean

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options

port placement went ok, super early morning and lots of waiting, procedure itself was quick and easy compared to my recent masectomy and reconstruction! They accessed the port and covered it with a bandage since it will be accessed tomorrow morning... it’s a bit sore but not too bad yet, let’s see when the local fully wears off.... made it to parent teacher meetings and still standing so that’s a start!

Tomorrow is go time... will let you all know how it goes. Sending positive thoughts to the rest of you!!!!
  • Flyer99
    Flyer99 Member Posts: 3
    Options

I start on March 19.

• betterdazeahead
    Options

Hey Gang!

1st round over and behind me - the anticipation of what to expect for the infusion was horrible BUT in reality it was an anticlimactic event. I was told it was a 3 hour infusion and that was not the case the A they pushed over 15 minutes and the C was a 30 minute infusion. All in all I was in the infusion clinic of MDA for 2.5 hours today. It was still a long day with labs at 8 and doctor at 9. After it was over I was freezing, like an icicle for about 30 minutes or so then I felt great! Hubby took me on a walk on the nature trails in our neighborhood and then we went up to the cancer store for some items I had placed on hold. It was around then that I became very nauseous - I believe it had a lot to do with drinking some room temperature water He stopped and got me some frozen custard and the nausea went away until I sipped on that same water again. Then there was no stopping the nausea for a few hours. My oral meds didn't work because at that point they came out of me, then a short nap was the answer. I felt better when I woke up. Was able to eat a small dinner. Nausea has been on and off since then but now at 1230AM I am feeling well enough to get on here and say HI. Here is to hoping tomorrow goes a bit better - I think I am going to call and ask about cannabis at this point to see if that would be more helpful to try. At this point anything that could help is worth it in my book and meds in the past have rarely helped me. The other tad bit concerning news I had today was my Echo wasn't quite where they want to see it while it fell into the very low normal range for my left ventricle - they added a referral to a cardiologist and it wasn't abnormal enough to postpone today. As I read the report though it sounds as if they couldn't get a great picture of the left side because of my expanders, so I am really hoping they are wrong and my heart is just fine.

Lizzy I am glad your port placement went well. My fingers are crossed your update tomorrow is just as good.

Welcome to the new people I am seeing on here I am sorry you have to join us but hope you find us all a good source of comfort and a great place to vent, cry and laugh with all of us.

I hope everyone on their off week is getting by with no more side effects.

(((((((HUGS)))))))) ~Sophie

• Mncteach
    Options

LizzieAG— that’s what they did with me too with the port, makes it easier except the sleeping part :) Hope today goes well!

Betterdazeahead- you must be on a slightly lower dose of AC than me or a slightly quicker drip rate!My A takes 20-25 minutes and given by the nurse from a syringe but my C is a full hour drip. I am at the cancer center no less than 6 hours every time and that includes blood work, meeting with doc to discuss bloodwork , premeds, and chemo. Makes for a very long day. Kudos to you for taking a walk afterwards, I just nap usually but that’s probably the Ativan.

My echo also had some notes about having issues reading due to breast implants ( which I guess fat from my tummy would be an implant but not what I think of when I think implants). Hopefully that is all it is with you too!

• betterdazeahead
    Options

Mncteach I will ask next time I go what the does is and what the drip rate is. I was a little concerned it was so quick after being told by my pharmacist and the doctor it would be a 3 hour infusion. I was actually concerned that could be what made me feel so badly so quickly - one would think start slowly then ramp up as tolerated. Total yesterday I was there for 5 hours (labs, doc, infusion). Now next round they have me coming in the day before for a port draw and visit with the doctor. This time the lack of communication showed when I had to have blood drawn from my arm - yet I have a port - it was just poorly scheduled. I don't mind going in the day before this time only because I have an appointment with my RO ahead of time. Did your team make you see a cardiologist? I saw one in my teens for something that I was given meds for but for the life of me I don't know what the diagnosis was and my Mom cannot remember either.

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

Hey all! Quick update. I was released back into the wild on Wednesday from hospital, bang on 7 days as expected. Amazing what a good night's sleep in your own bed can do for you! My dog has been glued to me since I got home, son (13) glued to his Nintendo switch! 😅

Neck is healing amazingly well (partial thyroidectomy), and you can actually see the difference each day. Voice gets tired towards the end of the day and sometimes a bit uncomfortable swallowing, but I really have very little pain unless I cough or sneeze. I've been told to take it easy, keep the scar covered when I go out, and absolutely no headbanging. 🤟

Have to go back for a checkup and pathology report on 26th, but as my first FEC chemo session is on 20th I'm hoping I'll be ok. 🤞 Guess they'll just have to wait if I'm not!

For chemo I've been told to go in at 9am for a blood test, then at 10am meet with my doctor, and if everything looks good I'll go up to the chemo suite and get started. Infusion is straight into a cannula in my arm or hand, so no port. Have been told the infusion should take about 2 hrs and was given the aftercare meds in advance so I don't have to wait around in a pharamacy. I don't have anyone that can come with me for the first one but it'll be fine. I live very near my hospital so can grab a taxi home. Have to go back on 22nd for an injection (not sure what that is but I'll ask on Wednesday).

Anyway, I'm really glad that eveyone is managing ok. It's great being able to read the reports as you all get started - makes me less anxious about what to expect.

Poky❤️

• betterdazeahead
    Options

Poky so glad to see you are doing well and are able to be in the comforts of your home! The injection is likely something to boost bone marrow production so your immune system doesn't drop as rapidly. Here I was given nulasta which is a small little catheter mini computer like machine on the back of my arm which will release the medicine in 27 hours. They do it this way if insurance covers it so you don't have to go back in the next day.

XO ~Sophie

• Dawmar
    Options

Well nausea got the best of me yesterday and was very ill. Called the MO and they brought me in gave me an Ativan drip. It help me tremendously. Came home and was able to get a nap in. Cooked dinner for the family the just relaxed. Nuelasta went off at 6:45 I took the Claritin and Alene about 3:00 pm before my infusion. Woke up this morning with a slight belly ache and again a severe headache. Some very mild joint pains in the hands but I am chalking that up to my arthritis. We will see how the rest of my day goes.

Ladies I hope your day goes well today, you are all in my prayers.

• Mncteach
    Options

Betterdazeahead— I would definitely question the blood draw from your arm. Sounds like you have a different setup from my cancer center since I go right into the same chemo room I stay in for the day. Then they acess my port after about a zillion well being questions, most of which I can answer in advance but a nice safety and well being check up! Then they do blood draw and after results are in doc or nurse practitioner comes in. 5 hours is what they told me it would be but it has always been longer even with no complications. If your infusion rate for c is faster that definitely could be the cause of some issues. Mine is 1:1, I forget the ccs of the bag but something like 345. I may be getting more premeds so that could affect times too. They did not send me to cardiologist but since you do have a history they may be being overly cautious. I am going to ask after my post chemo echo if it is changed and anything to worry about.

Poky- glad to hear you are doing well and be careful with that head banging. The 13yo reaction is as expected as is the dogs! It is comforting to be in your own bed and read everyone’s stories. Hope everything keeps going well! Also, I echo that the next visit is for a wbc booster. I get the Neulasta onpro because my insurance covers it but many still do not.

Dawmar- I'm surprised the Ativan drip helped but glad it did, it will probably be added to your premed stuff now.

Hope everyone is doing well. I am doing slightly better today than usual but didn’t have to work normal schedule as it is an inservice day and I could do most of it from home. Only had to go in for about an hour.

• ucfknights
    ucfknights Member Posts: 91
    Options

mom had first chemo on Monday and says she feels fine! No SEs! She is resting more than usual but that is it! How is everyone doing with the SEs further down their chemo regimen?