Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Keto

Options

Comments

• Vslush
    Vslush Member Posts: 117
    Options

A friend if mine said these are amazing, but I haven't made them yet. They sound/look good.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/amp...

Vickki

• kanga_roo
    kanga_roo Member Posts: 302
    Options

Thank you so much Vickki I will make a batch and tell you how they turn out.. they look YUM!

• kanga_roo
    Options

tried the bun recipe... a bit of a failure, very runny mix with all those eggs. I increased the dry ingredients, still runny, and poured it into muffin moulds. They were quite yummy, but had more of a quiche texture than a bun.

Open to try any other recipes people might have.

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    Options

I just gave up on the possibility of pastries which is the hardest part of staying keto. The only sweet thing in my diet is berries. I have one keto version 'pastry' that helps a little. I make a pancake and use a berry puree as syrup.

One egg

one TB of cream cheese

one tsp almond flour

1/8 tsp baking powder

cinnamon

1/2 tsp of vanilla or almond extract ( check for corn syrup)

Cook carefully in lots of butter. I find a hotter pan works better. I cook it on one side till its fully brown and then carefully turn it over. I make just one big one.

pad of butter and TBSP of berry purree

Coffee with h whipping cream

and bacon.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

My regular sweets are berries, or a keto granola I get at Whole Foods, in the bins (nuts, seeds, and dried coconut for sweetness), kombucha, a few low glycemic fruits. I can do a bit of these and remain in ketosis. Lately I am a being little more generous w my nutrient dense carbs due to rads healing. About to buckle down w strict keto again soon.

• kanga_roo
    Options

Rachel, I'm going to try these for breakfast tomorrow. They look like they would be an excellent vehicle for sugar fee jam and whipped cream!

Santabarbara, I love berries! I keep a bag of mixed frozen berries for when I can't get fresh. One of my favourite deserts is sugar free jelly with fruit. I make portion sizes and keep them in the fridge for snacks or a dessert with cream. I like the idea of the granola bars...I'll have to look for a recipe!

I've never been much of a cook, but I'm finding it difficult to find Keto food I like at the supermarket. I never had time to cook when I was working, so I'm making up for it now. My husband is my food taster poor darling, and graciously accepts the good with the bad - makes life interesting and fun!.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    Options

Hi. I am still doing low carbs..under 50 net carbs/day. I feel better, even if it might be a placebo effect!

I don't think I am in Ketosis all the time and that is fine with me. I have trace amounts of urine ketones on occasion. So looks like I burn carbs and fats.

I definitely look at food differently and that is always good. No breads, pasta, potatoes and refined sugars. Just need to be mindful that I don't put too many calories in my body!

• kanga_roo
    Options

Rachel, breakfast (picture😊👍

Sandi, sounds like you are doing well. I found that as I cut the carbs, I had more energy, felt more motivated, and started walking more. I have extended that out, and now do a minimum of a 15 min walk per day. I know that might not sound like much to some, but this is from sitting in my chair doing nothing! I have set an objective of 8000 steps per day, and usually meet my target.

• tadover
    tadover Member Posts: 31
    Options

I really enjoy watching Highfalutin' Low Carb on youtube. He has some really good comparison videos on low carb products and recipes. Biscuits, cornbread and tea cakes! Check his channel out! Doesn't hurt any that he is southern and has a southern accent like me, lol.

• kanga_roo
    Options

Tadover, thanks for the link! I love this guy, he is a lot of fun to watch and listen too, and has some great recipes. I also like his product comparisons (I watched his shiitake noodle vid). He does a LC cinnamon bun rcipe I will check out with Easter coming up... thinking they might make do for a hot cross bun... Have included the link.. hope it works!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ENGcRlstLA

• tadover
    tadover Member Posts: 31
    Options

Kang_Roo, this might be a site for you to check out. She seems to have a lot of baking recipes on there. https://www.ketocopy.com/

• kanga_roo
    Options

Thanks Tadover,

Keto Tiramisu has won me

• kanga_roo
    Options

Hot cross bun recipe...did a trial run on these and they turned out quite well. I added a dessert spoon of stevia because I like a bit of sweetness

https://whatthefatbook.com/lchf-hot-cross-buns/

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    Options

I'm a 10 year survivor this month. I wish I had known of keto when I was diagnosed. But I have been eating keto now for 2 years. I have lost 50 lbs...with 20 still to lose. I am off blood pressure meds. My triglycerides are 78. I just had a Calcium Artery CT scan and my score was 0!! I wanted the scan because both my sisters have had heart attacks in their 40's...I'm 59 and just needed to know that eating keto wasn't clogging my arteries. I'm a believer in this way of eating and intend to do so forever. I just love it. I do intermittent fasting most days, with my eating window between noon and 6pm. I've done several 72 hours fasts, which is soooo good for you...once you are fat adapted. My Dr. is very supportive. Good luck to those of you just beginning.

Also, I saw a roll recipe a few posts back......here is my favorite. Beware!! You will want to pile butter on and eat the whole pan!!!

https://www.castironketo.net/blog/keto-dinner-rolls

• kanga_roo
    Options

Jacee, that is a wonderful achievement! Stories like yours give the rest of us inspiration! I think I must be fat adapted now because hunger is no longer an issue, and I have much more energy. I haven’t quite got up to the fasting yet, but I don’t eat anything between 7pm and 9am, so that is a start. I love playing around with recipes, and those buns look delicious. I actually have a skillet that looks just like that I take camping!

Normalising our sugar, BP and cholesterol has got to be one of the best side FX of Keto. I actually feel like I’m being pro-active about my health, and that makes me happy!

Hope you all had a nice Easter. It is ANZAC public holiday tomorrow in Australia, when we honour our veterans. A famous recipe from WW1 is our ANZAC biscuits. If anyone has a Keto version Woud love to share.

Cheers,

Jackie

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    Options

Jackie......maybe this is close?? I’ve never had or heard of them. https://aussieketoqueen.com/keto-anzac-biscuits/

• kanga_roo
    Options

Nice find jacee!

I’v got all those ingredients, so I’ll cook some up tomorrow!

• kanga_roo
    Options

My ANZAC biscuits were YUM! Don’t need an occasion to eat them, any day of the week will do👍

• Misstic
    Misstic Member Posts: 50
    Options

Joining this topic.

I'm on keto diet since December 2017 after my stage IIIC recurrence diagnosis. I did it during my chemo with great outcomes: 100% tumoral response and complete disappearing of a lymphe node (even the surgeon and the MO didn't understand what happened). I read the preliminary results of the Ketocare study and regarding what I understand about it, people with liver and brain mets could get a great impact from ketodiet + chemo.

I'm still under keto diet. According to mice studies, I also take Sodium R Lipoate and Garcinia Cambodgia supplement with my keto diet to lower the risk of stage IV extension. More information here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-39109-1

• kanga_roo
    Options

Misstic, I love to hear good news stories like yours. I’m back to see my onc in a few weeks and hoping things are stable.

I’ll have to look those supplements up. Atm I use lite salt to get my potassium and pink salt to get my electrolytes. I found it a challenge to get the balance right, particularly with constipation (realised I actually needed more salt)

I hope more research is done in this area beyond mice as there seems to be so many good health outcomes for people who adopt this way of eating !

Jackie

• Misstic
    Misstic Member Posts: 50
    Options

Kanga_roo

Here is a video about the ketocare trial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfZSvjzxdwg

You will see results on two patients with BC + liver metastasis. The reason of the effectiveness on liver and brain could be, according to trial done on epileptic children (because keto diet was originally designed for them and the resarch was about mTor in brain and liver)), the mTor protein inhibition which is a critical pathway for people like you and me with luminal cancer.

• CharityGuru
    CharityGuru Member Posts: 1
    Options

So excited to find this! I have also had enormous relief from joint pain due to the Keto diet. I'd say 90% of my pain is gone. I am on AIs and the joint pain was becoming debilitating.

I have been using Reddit for Keto guidance but haven't found anything specific to other breast cancer survivors!

I have a Pinterest board with simple Keto recipe. Can't share on here:)

• kanga_roo
    Options

Charity, so glad you found us! Reddit is a great place to share info and get ideas. I too have reduced joint pain, I think because Keto reduces inflammation.

I don't want toplug products, but I did want to do a book review. I borrowed this book and read it from cover to cover... It expanded my understanding and explained why Keto works and tips on getting the most out of your diet. Miriam is an amazing woman and has YouTube info and other publications, so if you have a lazy half hour to spare, check her out.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

I'm going to follow this. I did the Optavia diet which also puts you in a ketosis state. I lost 35 lbs and my lymphedema just about all disappeared. I don't want to keep eating their food, so this will be a good transition.

I did hear somewhere that keto wasn't good for breast cancer patients

• kanga_roo
    Options

Hi HomeMom,

Welcome to the thread, and hope you do well with Keto!

Keto has been around for a long while and research has shown it is not beneficial if you are trying to treat melanomas, but very effective at keeping BC from progressing. Here is a link about a recent trial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfZSvjzxdwg

Converting to ketones will starve your cancer of sugar, reduce inflammation and help your body organs function like they are on high octane fuel.

Make sure you study up a bit on how to begin so you don't suffer Keto flu. I use lite salt (which is 50/50 sodium/potassium), and Himalayan pink salt to liberally season my food. I also take a magnesium tablet daily.

Let us know how you get on!

Jackie

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

Thanks Kanga Roo!

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148
    Options

Restarting Keto today

• queenofwands
    queenofwands Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi ladies! Just did a search on keto and found this thread. I'm still in the researching/experimenting phase. I actually kind of stumbled on it when I was trying to find a diet that would improve my silent reflux. There was a lot of anecdotal evidence that low-carb was the way to go, and of course once you start researching low-carb you end up on keto sites. The more I learn, the more I'm sure I want to give it a shot.

I don't think I'm in keto yet, but after just a week of cutting out starchy carbs and sugar and increasing healthy fats I'm noticing improvement on several fronts. The reflux is vastly improved, and I also am having less joint pain and I lost 5 lbs of pudge around my belly without even trying. I also tend to get hypoglycemic blood sugar crashes a couple hours after (a sweet and starchy) breakfast, and that's gone -- hasn't happened even once. I'm sleeping better too. If this way of eating can also help fight cancer, even better!

I bought a great book, The Keto Diet by Leanne Vogel, in which she outlines a really flexible approach if you want to do occasional carb cycling. Hope to hear how it's going for everyone. :)

• kanga_roo
    Options

Hi Queenofwands!

I'm still on the Keto (started January ) and have gone from 80K to 68 kilos and steady!

I feel great and my sugar is always in the normal range now.

Hopefully my bloods will be good when I get them done in August.

Being stage IV I am greatful for the improved QOL and being able to do the things I want to do before this wretched disease progresses. If I can just keep it in check I am happy.

Sounds like you are off to a good start, and I’m going to have a look at that book! So many doctors and oncologists are now supporting this way of eating so we are hearing a lot more about it an the mainstream!

Jackie

• kanga_roo
    Options

Googled Leanne Vogal to find she has published several books and has a newsletter you can sign up for to get this free guide: 21-Day Keto Diet Weight Loss Meal Plan.

It has some nice recipes, shopping lists etc to get people motivated.

Her main aim seems to be selling her "Keto" products so if you can skip around her promotions, it's worth a look.

She also does some youtube videos and podcasts.

Jackie.