Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Keto

Options
124»

Comments

• ata
    ata Member Posts: 7
    Options

Kanga-roo, those hot flashes on Femara will go away only after the treatment is over, they do not go away during treatment but you can always think that you are doing your best to get rid of the cancer for good. Stay positive.

I am on a carnivore diet and it works for me.

I eat about 3,000 calories a day, almost all fried foods which I love, I lost a lot of pain and aches and of course the weight.

From what I have read, the breast and the colon cancers depend on sugar and all of the sugars come from the plants and dairy.

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    Options

It is possible to stay on a low carb diet and not strict keto. I started out keeping my carbs below 25g and lost 25 pounds now I follow a low carb under100g and that is working for me. The carbs help me to have more energy and to sleep better. I enjoy more veggies and fruit.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    edited July 2023
    Options

I'm 9 years out of my diagnosis and containing my weight has been a challenge, which I never had an issue before diagnosis. I may be going off of my AI next year, which will help with keeping my weight down.

I just had my mamo and there was something there that they say is not showing in the mamo from last year. I did switch screening centers, so the ultrasound tech said that that could be the situation. She also said that the radiologist is not concerned and to just come back in 6 months for another ultrasound. Regardless! You get brought back to earth when this happens. I had to have a biopsy in my surviving breast two years after surgery and it was nothing, but this is bothering me more.

Sooooo, I am thinking I need to get more focused on what I put in my mouth. I have gone on the Optavia diet a couple times and dropped 25-30lbs each time, which is perfect. I'm on it now, but I'm tired of their food.

What is the best way for a newbie to start and is this a diet you just stay on, or do you just do it for a certain amount of time. ie lose weight.

I'm not a big fan of red meat anymore, I rarely if ever eat it. Is that something you HAVE to eat?

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

Hiya,

I found the subreddit on keto very helpful. Here is a link to their FAQ which has great resources: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq/ The community is also supportive.

Some people stay on forever. If you just do it to lose weight and then go off, it can be pretty easy to gain back the weight. Some people will do keto for a while and then transition to low carb or paleo, with or without calorie counting. Some people prefer to do keto without calorie counting for maintenance. Some people find that maintenance requires them to continue keto with calorie counting. I went on it and came off, and now I'm gaining back the weight.

I found the easiest way to start for me was with Factor75 food delivery, but I'm not a big cook. I also used to use the keto chow shakes. But everybody is different.

You definitely don't need red meat - some people don't eat meat at all though I think that would've been hard for me.

Some issues with starting out can be that your electrolyte needs may increase (the FAQ has suggestions for that), which can cause headaches and body aches and feel like you're sick if you don't know to watch out for it; and that if you stick with it there is a period of fat adaption where your body needs to adapt to burning fat for energy instead of carbs and your usual level of activity can feel more challenging, like you've lost fitness. But it's just the change.

Hope that helps!

• kanga_roo
    kanga_roo Member Posts: 302
    Options

just an update, had a PET scan last week and NED

Still on keto, although I have the occasional cheat day. Hope you are all doing well!