Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Jane McLelland protocol / COC protocol for STAGE IV members ONLY

Hjertemor
Hjertemor Member Posts: 11

Hi 😊

Just wondering if anybody in here is doing the Jane McLelland (COC) protocol?

If yes: For how long and did it have any effect?

I’m seriously considering it but need to hear from other MBC’s whether to do it or don’t.

Thanks in advance and hi from Denmark

Comments

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited April 2019

Hi Hjertemor,

I have not heard of this until now. I think we all understand that cancer is not a "one size fits all." and there are so many factors that lead into one person's remission or stabilization from another. Some people are extraordinary responders and some people are outliers.

I wish there was a perfect answer to how to cure ourselves of cancer, especially Stage 4. If there is one, I think the world would be jumping up and down for joy. Unfortunately, there are many people that think they have the right answer for how to "cure" cancer and then they use this as a marketing scheme to monetize their own agenda. I keep seeing it time and time again. And it sadly gives so many people false hope, causes unnecessary spending and misleading promises.

It is possible that this woman's protocol may offer people one or two more months alive? I honestly have no idea. But for me, I do no want to spend my time stressing out about if I am taking all the right supplements at all the right times just to add on a couple extra months. I want to live and be happy and as stress-free as possible.

Just one gals take on it all.

These folks, including the Chris Beats Cancer guy, just plain outright annoy the heck outta me!!

Hugs to you and hope you are doing/feeling as well as can be!

Philly

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690
    edited April 2019

BCO tends to fall more on the side of conventional treatment, but you might want to ask about this topic on the Alternative Forum. Best of luck.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/121

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited April 2019

There’s a an active Facebook page for Jane McClellans’s protocol, which patients use along with conventional treatment to block multiple pathways. I don’t know much about it yet, although I did just purchase Jane’s book, How To Starve Cancer. Feel free to PM me if you need a link to that Facebook page. It’s not a do it yourself program. You need to be tested and monitored to figure out which off label drugs might be beneficial for you.

• Caitpow88
    Caitpow88 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2019

hi!

Did you ever start this protocol?? How are you doing??

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    edited July 2019

Hjertermor, I'm very happy you started this topic....

Everyone....May I recommend that before you comment, you read the book? or have at least some minimal understanding of what that woman accomplished and how she is revolutionizing cancer care in England?

offering your uneducated opinions will not help anyone...and this thread is about people that are aware and are or might be following her protocol, which include typical treatment and other medications to attack the cancer on all sides at the same time.

You know, how we all progress sooner or later? Well, she's figured out what medications block the various pathways cancer uses to mutate and spread. She attacks the cancer on every pathway at the same time, because the medications she uses are not as toxic as chemotherapy and are actually effective. There's tons of accepted science beyond her protocol, and for us to diminish her accomplishment is utter madness. But it's a free country, so go ahead and keep on saying whatever comes to mind....don't be surprised, however, if you are ignored...

Contrary to the majority of women on BCO, she's alive 12 years after being diagnosed stage four, after having been heavily treated and given up on by your traditional genius type oncologists.

There are tons of other topics on this board dedicated to conventional treatments, if you don't believe in anything else, save your energy and post where your opinions will be welcomed, and please get ready for the inevitable progression...or get some therapy and try to wake up out of your dissassosiative state...sooner or later you cancer will progress in your other vital organs while doing your conventional therapies. This is unfortunately an inevitable scientific fact you can surely count on.

Just saying....

some of us are trying to stay alive....is that okay with you??

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 542
    edited July 2019

I have written to them and I am going to start ot if they take me on so good to get in touch with others that do.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited July 2019

I have read the book. I added a few of the OTC things that were recommended. I am considering a course of docycycline and mebendazole if I can get them. I think the whole concept makes a ton of sense. Most of the recommended supplements are very low risk.

• Frisky
    edited July 2019

I’m about to follow in your footsteps Santabarbarian.....nothing to lose and much to gain. She makes a lot of sense and the fact that she’s alive today and can explain her protocol is enough proof for me.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited July 2019

I read the reviews on amazon for this book. I was sad to see a couple of people said that it is NOT an easy read by any means. I struggle with reading comprehension so I am afraid I would fall into that category so I was hoping to hear about some of the things in the book on here. I am glad someone here though did mention that you need to be monitored on this protocol that you cannot do it yourself I didn't know that.

• santabarbarian
    edited July 2019

Nicole the idea at the core of the book is simple. Three pathways allow a cancer stem cell to eat. Cut off some part of all three pathways, and the cell can't eat. The pathways themselves are complicated to explain but the concept is easy. Some supplements and drugs disrupt more than one pathway so they make sense to try as they have more than one possible effect. Her core recommendation would be to eat a low glycemic diet & take many of the following multi-action supplements (among others):

- metformin : active against all 3 pathways a stem cell can use to get fuel

-doxycycline : antibiotic that also disrupts all thee pathways

-berberine: : also active against all three pathways

-DHEA (not for hormone driven cancer)

-a statin that is fat soluble , like propranolol

-EGCG (from green tea)

-quercetin

-2 DG "2 deoxy D Glucose"

-aspirin (baby)

- loratadine (claritin) or hydroxychloroquine

- dipyridamole

-NSAIDs (take w Statin)

-luteolin

then to do intermittend high dose C for killing the weakened stem cells.

This is not a complete list but it gives you a flavor of what is recommended.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,934
    edited July 2019

I had seen Metformin mentioned before, so I asked my MO about it last week. She said there is no connection to recurrence prevention - and she is always up-to-date on the newest studies.

• santabarbarian
    edited July 2019

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5772929/

lots of ways metformin is good against cancer

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited July 2019

I also asked my MO about it, and her response was that they are "studying" it right now with respect to breast cancer. I, too, have seen numerous articles about its interaction with cancer cells. I think the "studying" thing is specifically breast cancer. I also asked my internist about it (and she prescribed it for me). I am pre-diabetic anyway (and have been for many years) so for me, it could have a dual effect.

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

wow santa...thanks for that. And thanks for mentioning the one thing that isn't for hormone driven cancer since that is what I have.

Some of those other things I have to look up what they are...Statin...DHEA...NSAID..etc.

I take Claritan D just about every day and have for years so that won't be new for me. :)

• santabarbarian
    edited July 2019

My MO, who is Mr. Double Blind Clinical Trial, felt the current evidence on Metformin was very good -- and he did not hesitate to prescribe it when I asked him about it. I have normal blood sugar. My fasting glucose was about 99 before metformin, and now it's about 90. I take 1000 mg (500 x 2, am/pm).

Jane McLelland is also a big fan of brief fasting or intermittent fasting (where you confine your eating to a smaller window of time, like 11 am to 7 pm) and do not eat outside that window. That also lowers glucose in the body and stresses cancer cells while resting and restoring other systems like digestion. Proper gut flora and good digestion are important to immune system. I have been eating between 11 am and 8 pm. I am dropping a bit of weight doing this even though I eat well during that window of time. Fasting benefits the immune system because when you break a brief fast by eating good nutritious foods, the immune system will naturally rev up and re-start itself strongly.

The sort of confusing part is the varied ways that the various drugs and supplements can work to attack the cancer. For example, metformin lowers glucose -- so the main activity for which it is prescribed ALSO helps re cancer. But metformin has other "sidebar" effects in the body which mess up the cancer's use of glutamine and its use of fatty acids, too. So it can disrupt the chain of things that happen for all three food sources available to cancer stem cells. For each food source there are 5 or 6 elements to that particular food pathway (a chain reaction of steps), each of which can be disrupted, and she discusses different supplements and drugs that disrupt each step along that pathway.

Similarly Fenben's de-worming effects are NOT the *relevant* effects for its use against cancer. Instead it has side bar effects that disturb the cancer cell's replication, growth, nutrition, etc.

Last McClelland is focused on killing the cancer stem cells moreso than cancer cells.... CSCs are the cause of metastases. CSCs are much less vulnerable to being killed from chemo than regular tumor cells. Her approach is finding ways to block or damage all the possible ways the CSC can get its nutrition so it will wind up dead, or so weak that a high dose of IV vitamin C can wipe it out.

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

Santa...wow.. you worded all that in such a way that I was actually able to understand it all. I feel like since I am only on my 3rd bottle of Ibrance (and since my foundation one said my cancer is sensitive to Ibrance) my MO won't consider adding in anything like Metformin...but I am going to ask after I pass the 3 month mark and have my first scan. She didn't want me to do the IV Vitamin C and I am going along with that for now simply because I do want to see what the Ibrance will do without any interference (not that it would interfere) but so I don't have to wonder if it might. I do definitely think that natural methods (the ones Jane writes about) and the methods of chemo / ibrance etc... can both be used and can both work to help get rid of the cancer. Just my opinion as of now.

I do eat relatively healthy and really have for a long time however, after being diagnosed with Stage IV I cut down on sugar, processed meat (NO PORK what so ever any more) but I was a huge fan of Wine, Cheese and Salami's like eating that every single weekend for over a year the weekends were my cheats, .. all that is gone.. during the week I ate lots of veggies and chicken etc. . I have had a glass or 2 of wine since being diagnosed and I will maybe have that once a month. However, yea...no more salami's, no pork, very very little if any cheese and cut back on sweets. I never was a soda drinker and have always drank about 40 oz of water a day now I increased that to about 50 - 58 oz a day.

So I am still gonna ask for the metformin and I will probably do the IV Vitamin C with in the next 6 months to year. I constantly (now) worry if what I am doing is good, is enough, is bad...it gets overwhelming sometimes. I am always open to suggestions or info about what to do and what not to do.

Thank you so much for all the info I am so grateful for your easy to read explanations. :)

• Frisky
    edited July 2019

Santa, would you kindly share what, how much, and for how long you're going to take the off label medications based on your case?

I want to prepare myself and add them soon but I'm not sure what the exact protocol is that she recommended.

• sbaaronson
    sbaaronson Member Posts: 121
    edited July 2019

I have a call tomorrow with Care Oncology, they are practicing this protocol to hit the cancer metabolically, since we are all doing what the current science provides, hitting it biologically. I started Metformin about 2 months ago after I asked my Oncologist to prescribe it. I am also on the Annatto E protocol, my understanding is the Danish government is backing this study. The product is manufactured by Designs for Health, I take 300mg 3x per day. They will sell it to you at wholesale cost if you reach out to them and let them know why you need it. Below find the link to Care Oncology. I will likely try it, although I have to admit, I am not a fan of antibiotics, especially since we all need our microbiome working well.

https://careoncology.com/the-coc-protocol-in-breast-cancer/

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

saberonson thanks for the link... do they set people up with doctors in the area where the patients live or are they located somewhere specifically in the US?

saberonson thanks for the link... do they set people up with doctors in the area where the patients live or are they located somewhere specifically in the US? Also, I see it says for ER positive BC so that also includes people that are HER2- and on hormone therapy that protocol is good for?

I feel like this protocol combined with our therapies we are on (in my case Ibrance, letrozole, faslodex, xgeva), in others cases Chemo etc... this could really be a 1 -2 punch to cancer.

To me I only see one problem..finding a MO that will agree to me doing that protocol with my treatment :( So that would probably mean I have to do it on my own privately... does anyone agree with me or have any input about that? Also if that is the case will the Care Oncology let us do the protocol if our MO are not signed on/in agreement?

Santa I meant to ask you, when you do the intermittent fasting (not eating before 11am) can you drink water and can you drink water after 8pm?

Please forgive me if I sound stupid here I am just learning all this. I need all the help I can get.

Nicole

• Frisky
    edited July 2019

Sba....if you don't mind, can you share how much care oncology is charging you for figuring out and prescribing the off labels medications you specifically need.?? This is very exciting. So happy you’re sharing your experience

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited July 2019

Frisky,

If you go to the link, and read through it, it does give the prices, both for the initial consult and the monthly cost for their proprietary drug that combines the different drugs together. It also provides info about going forward. Also, one of the drugs in the protocol is related to FZ -- it's the similar drug that begins with an "M." I had read this before and then filed it on the back burner in my head, but I'll be interested to hear how the phone call goes.

Nicole, I, too, am concerned about getting buy in from an MO. Care Oncology says that you need to get some sort of a report or letter from your MO for them. How do your convince a double blind study believer that something like this could be worth a shot? That's the question of the hour.

• Frisky
    edited July 2019

I don't understand why they expect traditional oncologists to support what they consider quackery and worst yet competition? Are they out of their minds? Don't they know cancer care is all and only about money?

Do they really think our doctors give a hoot if we live or die? I have already asked my MO, and he said: ABSOLUTELY NOT

• santabarbarian
    edited July 2019

How I dealt with my MO was to tell him that *my life* was the very life he was trying to save .....and that *I* wanted to try everything that could help and wouldn't be likely to hurt, and that I needed his honest opinions to make my best decisions, but also his support knowing that with good information I could decide the best approach for me.

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

Frisky..yup this was exactly my concern...my MO said NO to IV Vitamin C how am I possibly gonna convince her to say yes to this?!?!

Bev- as you know I am about to start being treated where you go...so if works for you...let me know..I will choose the same doctor as you ! :)

So now my question would be how can anyone even follow Care Oncology protocol or Jane's?? How are these people getting doctors to even prescribe this stuff that Jane and & Care write about??

• santabarbarian
    edited July 2019

Only a few drugs are prescription. They make it easier as they have so much efficacy. But most of that list above is OTC meds and supplements.

• daywalker
    daywalker Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2019

In Israel they are about to start a phase 3 trial with a drug that attacks pancreatic cancer metabolically, so clearly the scientists are realising that there is another way to target these suckers... And that gives me hope for this protocol!

• Frisky
    edited July 2019

hi Folks,

I have reviewed the care oncology rules and regulations, including the costs, and find it fairly reasonable. After the initial setup, it's just a consultation and adjustment of medications if necessary every three months...they do it all. Figure out what and how much medications, if they would conflict with the traditional therapies we’re undergoing etc etc..

I will probably start after my pet in 10 days....

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited July 2019

Nicole - in answer to your question about consuming water when fasting, the answer is that yes, you can. In fact, you probably should. Some people (myself included) consume tea (or coffee) as well. I drink mine black although some feel that adding cream, but not sugar, is o.k.

• nicolerod
    edited July 2019

Thanks Hopfull

• santabarbarian
    edited July 2019

Better to use no cream, as cream has fat and calories and will diminish the "fast" element. But there is another way to do 5 day "fasting mimicking with small amounts of food for people who thing no food is too hardcore. you keep protein low and eat mostly veggies, broths, etc.