Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo May 2019

Options

Comments

• HappyAnyway
    HappyAnyway Member Posts: 380
    Options

Hey everyone!

You all look amazing! It's nice to hear from/see you.

Just a quick update during this crazy time.

My MO had me skip my last dose of Keytruda, resulting in my liver enzymes dropping. I'm happy that they went down. I'm not sure what will happen with Keytruda in the future. I only have two rounds of Xeloda left. I should finish in May and have radiation in June. Who really knows, though. Just trying to roll with the punches.

The main reason that I'm posting is to let you know that I Love each and every one of you. I know I say it all the time. My kids think I'm sappy. I don't really care. I feel it's important to share, especially with all of the stress and negativity in the world.

I'm approaching one year since my diagnosis. I have learned so much about BC since then. I want to say thank you to BCO, to everyone that posts. Many wonderful veterans have held my hand from the very beginning. You offer wisdom, encouragement, constructive criticism, a different perspective and sometimes straight up tough love. I appreciate our differences as much as what we have in common.

Of course, thanks to my May buddies! I don't know what I would do without you.

Please, please look after yourselves and your loved ones. Be well!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Love to the May folks! xoxoxo

I'm hunkered down w my son-- lucky to have company! We both like to cook and he's easy to get along with. A silver lining to sheltering at home. Doing a lot of hiking. Feeling lucky to be able to do this... and so grateful to all the medical people working to help us.

• jrominger
    jrominger Member Posts: 342
    Options

Happyanyway and Santabarbarian so great to hear from both of you!!! Happyanyway you are forging on and doing great. Hard to believe it’s almost a year since diagnosis!!!! Now this Stupid virus but this too will be a distant memory. You are not sappy. This thread was and always will be a great lifeline for all of us.

Santabarbarian sounds like you have the perfect isolation buddy!!! Natalie and I have been pretty isolated for almost a year!!! So not a whole lot different. The hiking in N AZ is awesome and you can sure keep your social distancing.

Praying for everyone and all of our first responders. We have a nurse daughter. Her husband is a fireman/paramedic and Our son is a law enforcement officer. Whew!!

Stay safe!!

Jay

• palmetto
    palmetto Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hello May friends! HappyAnyway, it’s so good to hear from you. You’ve been on my mind. I’m glad to know you’re almost done with Xeloda and then will move to the next phase. You’re a real trooper!

Santabarbarian, sounds like your shelter in place isn’t so bad. I’m hunkered down with my two sons and my new rescued bulldog! The timing of getting him was perfect, because I can be home and get him trained.

Jrominger, I’ll add your front-line family members to my prayer list. Glad you and Natalie are doing well.

I had my diagnosis anniversary on 3/27. I was a ball of mixed emotions. I’m still working on my book. I’m about 70 pages in. Tamoxifen has been kind to me so far. No SE, other than the occasional hot flash.

Love to all of you! Stay safe and HEALTHY!!

• ByUmom2
    ByUmom2 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Hi there, HappyAnyway, jrominger, santabarbarian, palmetto, and all the warriors out there! Glad to see you all are marching on thru all this craziness. I am having my one year since diagnosis on Friday...not sure how I will face that day. Hopefully I won’t even think about it. Have about 4 more Herceptin treatments. So will be finishing up in June. Yay! I am isolating here at home in southern Louisiana with my husband and now both daughters home as well. Really enjoying having them both back in the house. It has been a long time since our family of 4 has lived under the same roof at the same time. Lots more laundry!! I try to walk outside on our property everyday for an hour or so. My awesome husband made me a nature trail thru some woods! It has lots of naturally grown foliage, blackberries, lantana, Japanese plums, etc. I love it! It reminds me of a nature trail I visited on the island of St. Lucia...except without the view of blue Caribbean water! Lol!

Hope you all stay well and keep updating on here! Love & prayers to you all!!!
  • mightlybird01
    mightlybird01 Member Posts: 161
    Options

A quick hello from me! So glad to hear from everyone as our 1 year diagnosis anniversary approaches/just passed (mine is April 12th). I try not to think about it, which currently is easy as I am busy outside in the garden and on the farm. Finally some sunshine. Hubby is working from home, but other than that our lives have not changed too much. It is wonderfully quiet out here. I feel so sorry for people who are stuck inside a small apartment in a city. And of course the uncertainty with work for many. As jrominger said, we are experts in the social distancing, so no problems there :-)!

Menopause is fully established now for me too, which means hot flushes about 4 times a day and maybe 2x at night. It is tolerable. I wake up from them, but thankfully go right back to sleep. I am getting used to progressive glasses. It is not easy, having had perfect vision for 47 years. I expected that those progressive glasses will restore effortless perfect vision (after all they cost $600.-!!), but this is not the case. I am getting better at it and hopefully soon totally accustomed.

All the best to my May friends!

• April0315
    April0315 Member Posts: 167
    Options

hello my friends! So nice to read some updates from everyone. Overall I’d say we are all doing pretty well on here. Man I am SO grateful not to be going thru chemo right now.

My husband and I are both still working. I am in the hospital and it’s a strange time to be working there. My youngest came home from college and is doing her classes online. My oldest is in a house rental by campus so she stayed down there as we are paying her rent anyway. Plus she has 2 friends to stay home with.

2 days ago we had to put our 15 year old Shih-Tzu to sleep. It’s been awful. But it was time and she never suffered. Her little legs had been getting arthritic but still walking. Out of nowhere she had a seizure/stroke and couldn’t walk. We held her for 6 hours till the vet could get us in. We all miss her so much.

• G1973
    G1973 Member Posts: 49
    Options

So happy to hear from you all. Some odd times for us all for sure. My diagnosis date is soon approaching and ironically will have my six month check in with my breast surgeon. I plan on celebrating! Was super happy to get my first hair cut. Is it funny that now that I need a trim, I can’t 😆. Love to you allimage

• ByUmom2
    Options
    mightlybird01- I know how you feel about the progressives! I was just using cheaters
    before all this. During the taxol my vision just kept getting worse. Had
    eyes checked and Dr. said I needed progressives...just the age! Lol! And
    YES they are super expensive!!

April0315- sorry about your sweet pup. As I sit here typing this, my 11 year old cat is
    curled up around my feet. I know the day will come for him and I am not
    not looking forward to that. Please stay safe out there working in the hospital!

G1973- I love the look! My hair is wild and crazy now that I can’t get a cut or trim. I guess
    I will just let it grow out and see what happens. I now have lots of volume and
    waves to my hair...and darker and more grays! So not sure what it will look like
    grown out since I used to have blonde straight hair.😏
  • April0315
    Options

Hello ladies, and of course Jay. Just wondering how everyone is doing?

Cancerwise, I'm overeall fine, however the joint pain with the Femara got to be too much. I finally got a hold of my oncologist and she took me off them for a week and will switch to Armidex. After 1 week SE were starting to go away but I cold still couldn't move comfortably so I'm still off them. I"m not impressed with the lack of concern or explanations so I am trying to find a new oncologist. We have a Mayo Clinic here and it's in=network for my insurance so I'm waiting to get in over there.

Other than that all is well. I'm still working and staying healthy. All of the family is. I'd love to get out and travel but, well.... you know..... the virus and all.

My hair is still growing, still short and still looks pretty wild! :)

Hope you are all doing wonderfully.

• mightlybird01
    Options

So nice to hear from you April. But sorry to hear about the joint pain. I guess I can't say anything useful to that, as I don't need to take any hormonal treatment, but I have seen people lowering doses and working their way up from something that is tolerable. I myself am full menopausal now and at first it was an adjustment, but I think I do adjust now. The hot flashes are no fun, but getting used to. Thankfully no joint pain. I had a pretty bad shoulder pain flare up some weeks ago, but thankfully has totally disappeared now.

I just had my first post treatment mammogram on my remaining healthy breast and all looks good. That was a big relief. Otherwise I am feeling really well and strong. Sleep could be better and I do still think about cancer way too much. But other than that, I can't complain.

Hope to hear from everyone and if not wish everyone a great summer.

• ByUmom2
    Options
    Hello there April0315 and mightlybird01, so great to hear from you both. I finished my last Herceptin treatment 3 weeks ago yesterday! April I hope you find an oncologist that you are pleased with. I believe it is extremely important to have trust in them. I too wish we could all get out and travel. So frustrating not being able to just hop on a plane to go visit one of my daughters. Mightlybird, I am in the same boat as you...I am full menopausal for a year now. Still hot flashes now and then and changes in joint pain. Ugh, it is not fun getting old! Glad your post treatment mammo went well. My hair is super wild and crazy. I had a cut/shape up in January. Since no hair salon visits allowed since March or whenever you can pretty much imagine how long and unruly my hair is now! I have curls and waves I did not have before chemo. I have my 6 month check up (past 6 months due to Covid) with my breast surgeon in 2 weeks. I went with BMX with no reconstruction. So of course I am nervous. Like you mightlybird, I think about cancer way too much!!

I hope you all stay well, healthy and safe. And definitely hope to hear more from some of the others!

Much love and admiration to all,
    Ami
  • jrominger
    Options

Well hello EVERYONE. Long time no speak! I sure hope and pray everyone is doing wonderfully, healing up and moving forward. We are doing great by God’s Grace. Natalie had her 7 month check up yesterday and all went extremely well. Her RBC were slightly low but they always have been. Her oncologist said she looked great. Would see her again in 3 or 4 months and for Natalie to keep up her great workout routine and diet as that is all that can be done for now. Natalie will probably always have neuropathy in her toes and her lashes sometimes fall out for no reason 😩. But truly we feel blessed. We got a new puppy and a truck and are going to hit the road once this virus thing subsides. Her hair is crazy Einstein curly but fun. Glad to hear from some of you and thinking and praying for all of you. Hang tough!!image

• jrominger
    Options

• palmetto
    palmetto Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hey May friends! It’s so good to see all of your posts on the other side. I hope you all are thriving and healing and enjoying life! I’m doing well. Working from home these days, which is a blessing. I’m on Tamoxifen and tolerating it well. The worst of my SE are hot flashes/night sweats. It’s manageable. The biggest news I have is that I finished my book! I met with a literary lawyer a couple of weeks ago to go over some legalities. The next step is getting it edited and ready for production! I’m so excited!!

I miss you guys and think of you often.

• jrominger
    Options

Hi Palmetto. Wow on finishing your book!!! I think we are all anxious to buy a copy!! Keep us posted on its progress!!! You put in a lot of hard work!! Nat is doing well. Another 3 month check up next month. With TNBC nothing much left to do other than eat well, exercise and live life to it’s fullest!!! Blessings to all.
    Jay.

• santabarbarian
    Options

Hi to my old May friends! I am doing well and feeling good! Wishing you energy, hair, and beautiful times with loved ones. It's sort of ridiculous to move from cancer-life to COVID-life ... but we sure got head start on sterile practices and living simplified lives...

lots of love to all on this thread!

• mightlybird01
    Options

Yuhuu, Palmetto. What an achievement. I will order the book too!

Jrominger what a sweet puppy! They grow up so fast!

All is well over here, had my 9 months follow up blood work and all is green :-)! We are dealing ok with Covid here on the farm. I think it is much easier than being stuck in a city to live out in the country. My daily routines have hardly changed, but we are getting worried a bit as hubby is soon getting back to lecturing. At the moment it is in person lecturing for the fall quarter but everything is still somewhat fluid so we will see.

Love to hear from all of you!

• April0315
    Options

So nice to see some posts from everyone!

Palmetto that's wonderful about the book!

Sounds like everyone else is just chugging along and doing well. Same here, my 9 month check up went fine. Oh this sweet lady at the cancer clinic and I were talking and she took this picture for me. I almost like the restrictions in the offices, bc it encourages strangers to become friends.

Jay.. that puppy!! So cute!

• jrominger
    Options

It’s fun to hear from our group. Mightylybird and April we are very happy to hear about your 9mnth results! I’m betting your 9 and 19 yr results will be equally as good!! What a pretty picture April!! Nat has her basically one year (shy by a few weeks) post chemo check up. We’ll keep you posted. Yesterday we rode our bikes 30 miles at the Grand Canyon. A special day for sure!! Blessings to everyone!!image

• mightlybird01
    Options

wow, jrominger, 30 miles. This is impressive. Hubby and I did 16 the other day and that was enough for my bottom :-)! We made it to the brew pub and back!

Love your picture, April!

• jrominger
    Options

mightlybird I concur my butt is still not back to normal. Even with padded shorts!!! A brew pub makes everything better!!!!

• HappyAnyway
    HappyAnyway Member Posts: 380
    Options

Hey Palmetto! I'm glad that you are feeling well on Tamoxifen. Looking forward to buying your book. That's quite an accomplishment!

Hello jrominger and Natalie. Definitely keep us posted on Natalie's appointment. My butt hurts just thinking about that ride (and your ride, mightlybird01).

Santabarbarian, I'm happy that you are well. Covid sucks almost as much as cancer. Likely moreso for some.

What's up mightlybird01? What a relief that your follow-up went well. Thinking of you both as your husband heads back to lecturing.

April0315, ditto for your follow-up. Looking good! I was watching the Eco Challenge and thinking of you and your husband. There were some people competing that also participate in the Iron Man.

I'm still getting Keytruda every few weeks through January. Turns out that is what caused my joint pain. Thank goodness for Celebrex! It's helping my joints. I was thinking seriously about stopping Keytruda because the pain was affecting my ability to do simple things, like opening a bottle of water or lifting a mug of coffee with one hand. I feel like things are looking up for me.

My husband and I are heading to Nashville on the 13th. We're renting an Airbnb. My appointment with the PS is the following day. Hoping to have DIEP this year. It will likely be in January or February (6 months post rads).

Be well, everyone! Love you all.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Hi to all my May 2019 chemo mates! It's been a long time since I checked in here, and I'm glad to see so many of you doing great. I love the photos and updates you post.

I'm doing fine, healthy as far as I can tell. This month is my 1-year anniversary since last radiation treatment, aka last treatment since I'm triple negative. My next appt is in November with the "survivorship clinic" nurse practitioner, who hangs out in radiation oncology. I'm not completely sure what those appointments are for, but I guess cycling them through with the BS and my PCP means someone is checking up on me regularly.

After our gym closed in March, husband and I never got in a routine of weight work at home. Recently we decided it was time to make it a priority, so we're both working our way back to where we left off, to the extent we can with the equipment we have at home. We walk regularly and seem to find plenty to keep busy otherwise. I've made several quilts already this year and have more in process. Here are two I made. I design all my own work. The photo sizes make the top one look smaller than the lower one, but that isn't the case. The top one is a couch throw, like a big nap quilt. It is for a friend of mine here, a man, who has metastatic BC. The lower photo is a wall-hanging and is something like 32" square.

I miss my kids and my grandkids, none of whom live here. I miss being able to travel. I miss feeling like there are things to look forward to. My mood varies a lot, while at the same time I know I'm one of the most fortunate people going through covid times. And as I said, I have enough to do and resources to do it.

Blessings to all of you. Thanks for keeping in touch.

• jrominger
    Options

Hi everyone. Just a quick update. Natalie is just shy of one year past chemo!! We had her appointments with Onc PA and BS. Both said nat looked amazing, her blood work looked great. WBC and Lymph a tad low but they were pleased. They were so impressed with everything that they changed her 3 month follow ups for 3 yrs to every 6 months already. They even kept saying the word “cured” a lot. We are so very grateful and excited. She will go back in March for 6 mnth routine check up and a major work up on her pancreas to get a baseline since she is BRCA2. Praise God!! Ever onward. Hoping and praying for everyone here.

Jay.

• ByUmom2
    Options
    jrominger-so glad to hear the positive news for Nat. I just had my first check up with MO since finishing immunotherapy in May. Staying busy with my youngest daughter stuck back living at home since her university only allowed freshmen on campus. Also trying to keep fit by walking a few miles everyday. Hope Nat continues to do well and all the other warriors out there too!!
  • jrominger
    Options

Thank you Byumom2!! It was great news. What did your MO have to say? How did the immunotherapy go? Where does your daughter attend? Here at NAU they are back in class but the public schools are still doing remote learning.
    Ja

• santabarbarian
    Options

WHOA MM you are a gifted artist!!!

So nice to hear from everyone.

• G1973
    G1973 Member Posts: 49
    Options

where the heck is the like button? What joy it brings me to see how well you all are❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Happy New Year to all my May 2019 chemo friends. For most of us, we're running up to 2 years since diagnosis. In some ways it seems like a long time. In others, it's the blink of an eye. I hope you are all well, and however 2020 was, I hope 2021 is better.

What are you looking forward to for the next year? Are there any challenges you're facing that you need support with?