Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gem/Carb

Options

Comments

• Leee
    Leee Member Posts: 115
    Options

Liwi - Thank you! Enjoy your evening out! 💕

Grannax - I haven't had back pain just muscle weakness/fatigue on my crash days.

Are you taking Neulasta shots?

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    Options

No, I'm not. My labs looked pretty good after the first infusion. I'm anemic but not low enough for transfusion, my WBC fell only to 4.5. My platelets held. Of course, now I won't have anymore labs until two weeks after my second infused. Time to let them recover.

Yesterday was Day three, normally my crash day after steroids. But not this time. I had more energy than I knew what to do with. It's a good thing. My toilet overflowed and flooded my master bath and bedroom and the carpet in my living room. I cleaned it all up by myself. UGH. Surprisingly, I was able to do it. I will be turning the claim in on Monday.

Why does life not stop while we are in the middle of the fight for our lives? Unanswerable questions abound.💞

• Grannax2
    Options

My first cycle is behind me and several things were better except the back pain was worse. Now I feel pretty good at one week out. My off week so I'm trying to get a bunch of stuff done.

I did get to drive over to spend some time with my grandchildren.

I thought I would not have to see any doctors this week but my incision of my new port got infected. So, I saw my IR yesterday and am on antibiotics. 💞

• Liwi
    Liwi Member Posts: 249
    Options

Wow Grannax I am so impressed that you were able to take care of your toilet overflow. I did crash after the last treatment of my last 2nd treatment of 2nd cycle. I think some of my fatigue is due to low hemoglobin for several weeks now. They said it will take a few weeks for Procrit shots to have effect. I’m off this week and today starting to get some energy back.

• Grannax2
    Options

I'm in my off week, too. Thank goodness, because the restoration company is coming TODAY. They will check for moisture. If they find any they will start ripping out all three of my floors. My life will be Chaos for the next two weeks. But, I'm glad they will treat for leftover germs. I guess I'm moving into my guest room until all the repairs are done. UGH 💞

• Grannax2
    Options

The restoration company only had to tear out my bath floor. That's good but they left seven huge, noisy fans to get the last of the moisture. Thankful they are coming tomorrow to get there equipment. I'm so ready for silence.

I found out today that I don't have to do everything ASAP. If I use my own contractor/ handy man I can go slow and save money. But, first I'm going to have the plumbing fixed.

First things first. .My next infusion is Tuesday.💞

• Grannax2
    Options

liwi. I hope the proquit shots bring up your hemoglobin. Mine is low, too. How low does it have to be before they give you the shot??

• Liwi
    Options

I asked at my appointment last week and the NP said below 10, which I was just above that day so no shot. I was 9.2 when I got my first shot and below 9 the prior 2 weeks when they go to insurance approval. She said likely the first shot helped boost it to above 10.

• Grannax2
    Options

Sounds like I might need Procrit too. I see my MO today after labs, then I'll have chemo. Very early appointment today. I'lll be fighting traffic to get there at 7:30. Early AM in Dallas traffic is not a good place to be. UGH

• Grannax2
    Options

Yesterday I saw my MO before I had my TX. Turns out my anemia visit worse. It's 8. She want me to have a unit of blood. I don't know when but I hope soon v

• Grannax2
    Options

I also found out Gemzar causes sudden, severe sleepiness. So much so, I could not drive my car home. I had to call an Uber for the first time ever. More SE caused problems all night. I'm back to being myself now, finally.💞

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    Options

Hi Grannax2, I tracked you down! Was your infected port addressed? Could they use it for your infusion? I was worried as you have so much to deal with right now.

• Grannax2
    Options

Yes they have been able to use it. But it still doesn’t look too good so my IR did an aspiration today to culture it. The antibiotic didn’t help at all. If there is infection he will have to take it out and put a new one in.

Right now I am having a blood transfusion because I’m anemic. When it rains it pours.

How are you doing

• Liwi
    Options

That’s good that you are getting a transfusion Grannax. I’ve heard from people who’ve had it that it really helps. I never got one because I was just above 8. I’m at treatment now and am not getting Procrit today as hemoglobin is 10.0. Looks like the first shot helped, also was my off week. It will likely go lower by the time I get my treatment next week. Your port infection must be frustrating. I sure hope they get it resolved without needing to go through another surgeon to replace it

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    Options

Hi Grannax2, you are amazing. You are going thru so many issues right now and still ask how others are doing. For me, I am fine..just waiting for the big progression which I know will eventually happen.

I didn't mean to get on your gem/carb thread..was trying to find out if you were okay. I usually see you on the liver thread..

S

• Liwi
    Options

One update right after I finished treatment and was getting ready to leave the nurse came back and told me that my Nurse Practitioner told her that I had an option to get my Procrit shot since my hemoglobin was 10.0 exactly, not above. I decided to go ahead and get it hoping it will boost my hemoglobin higher or at least keep it from dropping over the next week between treatments. It was a bit strange to have to choose at the last minute.

Feeling ok tonight. I fell asleep for about an hour when I got home, now mixture of tired from chemo but boosted from steroid. Hoping to get out to a park a while in morning before it gets too hot.

• Leee
    Options

Counts were too low and need my first blood transfusion.

Please tell me about your experience! 😳

• Grannax2
    Options

Leee. My transfusion was the easiest thing I've ever done and it transformed me into Wonder Woman. It only took 1 1/2 hours, they went through my port, no adverse reactions. Look forward to feeling better fast. It's awesome.

Liwi. My MO told me that Procrit shots are no longer allowed by the FDA. I was shocked. All because of one little study that showed it damaged a few patients hearts. UGH.

Sandibeach. Hey, keep posting here. You're one of the gang, I love hearing from you.💞

• Leee
    Options

Grannex,

Thank you!

Did your MO say how often you may have to get a transfusion on G/C?

• Grannax2
    Options

Leee. No she didn't. I assume it will happen anytime my HGB get down to 8. My understanding is that it's not just the Gem Carb, it's the cancer that caused it. She called it antineoplastic anemia. I've been mildly anemic for about 9 months and I didn't start this TX until one month ago. But, it just gradually kept getting. worse.

I read that platelets can go down with this TX. Mine are staying in normal range. How are yours? When do you get your transfusion?

• meadows4
    meadows4 Member Posts: 42
    Options

Grannax, how did the doctor explain the. Possible side effects to you? For instance the lung problem that can develop. I am supposed to start. Gem this week. After I read the paper they gave me about possible side effects, I got rather scared of them. They gave no percentage of How many people might experience them.

Capillary leak syndrome, which can be deadly. A very bad and sometimes deadly brain problem called posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome. Very bad and sometimes deadly kidney problem. Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problem

This is how it is written on the papers they gave me. I am not sure I can get past these words to take the chemo.

I have had abraxane and don’t remember being at all scared about the possible side effects.

• Leee
    Options

Grannex,
    I got it and do feel better!
    They called it mylosuppression which is caused by the treatments. It was slowly trending downward.

I knew I didn’t bounce back like normal (fatigue, breathless) during the “off” week but didn't think about anemia until I went in for pre-chemo labs.
  • Grannax2
    Options

Leee glad you got it and feel better.

Meadow4. I don't think she did explain all that to me. I have yet to read all the pages of information about either drug. I guess I am just glad there were two drugs I hadn't taken before. I feel desperate to do something to halt my fast growing liver mets. I have to use whatever is available to me. I'm glad to say I have not had those SE. Maybe you can ask about your other choices, I don't have any other choices of TX.right now.

• Leee
    Options

Grannx,

Me too!

What other treatments have you been for the liver mets?

• Grannax2
    Options

Leee For the liver mets Ibrance/ Femara, Afinitor/Aromasin, Xeloda all failed.

But for my other three DX of BC and MBC I had Adriamyacin, Cytoxin, 5 FU, Taxotere and Abraxane. They say I'm heavily treated patient. Also, I have ESR1 mutation so AI are not an option anymore.That's why my MO picked these two for me. Plus they don't cause hair loss.💞

• Grannax2
    Options

On Tuesday my TX was postponed because my ANC was too low. Bummer. We"ll try again on September 3. If it's not one thing it's another. White cell, red cells, I wonder if it will settle down. Lee how has your ANC held up? 💞

• Leee
    Options

Grannax,

My ANC tanked after the first treatment so I started Neupogen shots.

It stayed up for 3 mo until last week. ANC was too low for treatment even after my off week and using Neupogen.

I'm scheduled for treatment tomorrow so hopefully counts are good.

Are you on Neupogen shots?

• Liwi
    Options
    Grannax and Lee sorry for your treatment postponements. Hopefully you will be able to do it tomorrow Leee and you next week Grannax.

I had my 2nd treatment in 3rd cycle today. So far my ANC has been high enough to do treatments though in cycle 2 they reduced my dose. This morning before my infusion I felt really good, like the effects from last week were gone. It has taken a bit longer for me to recover after the 2nd infusion each cycle. My hemoglobin was 9.4 so I will get another Procrit shot next week.

The good thing is my ascites levels when I get drained are going down which indicates the chemo is working.

• Grannax2
    Options

leee No, not yet. On Tuesday they gave me the choice of coming to the clinic four days in a row for shots or just wait a week. I chose wait a week. I heard about another similar shot that can be given at home.

Liwi. That's great news about your ascites going down. I've never had it. But, I'm glad for you that you have an indicator that chemo is working.💞

• Leee
    Options

Liwi, That’s great it’s working and hope that provides relief! My dose was lowered at the beginning too. Counts held up the the first 12 weeks of treatments.

Grannax, I admin Neupogen shots at home after chemo and when I skipped last week for the infusion. Today my counts were all within normal range so I had chemo.

I sure enjoyed having a week of feeling REALLY good from the blood transfusion