Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Options

Comments

• Dottybird
    Dottybird Member Posts: 25
    Options

I am starting 4 rounds T/C Sept 10 and am terrified!! Went to store and tried to stock up on all suggested products and cut off 10" hair to donate. My biggest fear is pain. I get migraines just because the day ends in y so I really don't want to end up with a 12week migraine. Also, my migraine meds already cause my hands and feet to tingle so I am afraid at how much it will get. And the bone pain from Neulasta? Yikes! I am a scaredy cat, I know. Maybe it will not be that bad? I applaud all you brave souls out there.

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Welcome Dottybird

I think we’re all afraid but ready to get this part over :)

We’ll get through this together

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

I start my pre-chemo steroids tomorrow and my first Chemo is Wednesday 9/4. I’m so ready to have this first treatment over and done with.

My husband, kids, my son’s BFF, and his mom (who is my BFF) went walking the trails at Tallulah Falls in north GA today. It was beautiful, and it was nice to get out with everyone enjoying time before chemo.

LMS - I hope your area remains out of the path of the hurricane.

Hope you are all doing well.

Tracy

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

Welcome Dottybird. I think we are all scared. That's partly why we are here - so we don't go through this alone. I have lots of support, but no one truly understands unless they've been through it. We can virtually hold each other's hands!

Tracy, things are looking better for us. Most likely tropical storm force winds and not hurricane force winds. I still think my cold cap fitting and infusion center visit will be postponed, and thus my first cycle. I'm just trying not to stress about any of it. It will all work out.

We visited Tallulah Gorge a few years ago. So pretty. Didn't go down by the river, though. I love northern Georgia. Hubby and I are talking about retiring there. Twelve years until we can leave Florida! Counting down the days. LOL! Tired of heat and hurricanes.

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    Options

I wanted to pop on here to wish you all well and let you know you can do this! I started the chemo group for Sept 2017, can’t believe it was two years ago. I am doing great today and you will too! I did four rounds of TC, it’s totally doable. Before you know it, this will be over and you will move forward. Hugs!

• FTM
    FTM Member Posts: 24
    Options

Hi all. I’m starting chemo on Friday! Scared but also just want to get it over with. I had a port inserted and it was more painful than I expected but it makes bloodwork so much easier and is much less painful than failed IV access several times over.Good luck to everyone in this group, would love to hear how it goes for you all. We can do this!

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

Welcome FTM! My port placement was more painful than expected, too. And, since I had surgery first, my chest muscles tighten up at the oddest times and make my port feel weird. I am looking forward to getting started so I can get done, too! Scared, but hopeful that this won't be as bad as I think and it will kill off any random buggers floating around in my body.

What treatment are you getting? Tracy can add you to the list.

Good luck tomorrow, Tracy! I'll be thinking of you and hoping everything goes smoothly.

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107
    Options

Best of luck to those starting chemo this week. It’s not a piece of cake. But I know we can get through it.

My port is just now settling down a week out from placement. I had to wear a bra at night so my boob would not pull on it so much. I think I can finally be done with that. My biggest issues in the week since first cycle have been severe gastric reflux and constipation. I am just now getting a handle on the constipation. It’s been an uncomfortable week.

Took a shower today. It wiped me out. I do tire pretty quickly. But each day has gotten better. I hope to have a good week before it’s time to do this all again

• tmh0921
    Options

Thanks LMS, I’ll post tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes.

FTM - welcome! Let us know which chemo regimen you’re doing and I’ll add you to our list

• tmh0921
    Options

snaffle

What finally helped with the constipation? That SE is one I worry about a lot. I have Prevacid for reflux, I’m hoping it will help.

Right now I’m hoped up on the pre-chemo steroids. I hope I can sleep tonight.

We’ve got this ladies

Tracy

• snaffle53
    Options

I took Senakot S. I should have been more aggressive with it. My nurses recommend starting with 1 at night. If that does not give results, take 2 in am. If no results, take 2 pm. And ramp it up until results.

I stuck with 1 Senakot and added Miralax in am. I started on day 3 of constipation. Should have started sooner. I went 5 days with only minimal results. I was miserable!! Still not sure I don’t have partial impaction. But, producing more. I’ll take 2 Senakot tonight. Also adding fruit and veggies big time to diet.

I have had to keep meals quite small to manage reflux. Also sleeping with head more elevated.

• tmh0921
    Options

Thanks snaffle

I have both senacot and miralax so knowing what you did is very helpful

Tracy

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Magnesium citrate helped my constipation a lot. 3-4 capsules at night.

Also fasting prior to chemo made constipation much milder (nothing in there!)

• Juniebird
    Juniebird Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi all, I am starting TCHP neoadjuvant chemotherapy 9/9, was given the option of 6 doses every three weeks, or weekly TC with HP every 3 weeks. Plan on using Dignicap, and think I have a good list of all other supplies I may need. I've accepted that this is happening, just wish the process wasn't so long!

• tmh0921
    Options

Welcome Juniebird - I’ve added you to our list.

The waiting for things to move is defiantly a pain! I’m sure we will eat able to share, offer support, and learn from each other along the way.

We’ve got this

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

Santabarbarian

Did you take 3-4 of the 400mg capsules of Magnesium Citrate?

I can only find Magnesium Oxide at the pharmacy, but I can get it from my trusty friend Amazon.

Tracy

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Welcome, Juniebird! We're sorry you find yourself here, but we hope you find this community to be a place of support as you begin your treatment! We're all on this journey with you!

The Mods

• FTM
    Options

I’m doing Taxotere Carboplatin and Herceptin. 6 cycles 3 weeks apart

• santabarbarian
    Options

yes-- 3-4 400 mg capsules of Magnesium citrate

• FTM
    Options

Good luck for your chemo tomorrow

• tmh0921
    Options

Well ladies, my first TC is complete and uneventful. This means I'm 25% done with chemoLoopy

My husband and I arrived at 10:30. I had labs, then met with the doctor and nurse practitioner for about 45 minutes. My husband even got to ask questions.

Infusion started around 12:30 with pre-meds for side effects. Taxotere took about 2 hours as they run it slow the first time and check vitals every 15 minutes to make sure there's no bad reaction. Cytoxan was last and only took an hour.

From arrival to departure, it was a 6 hour day. Future infusions will go faster as they'll run Taxotere at normal speed.

No side effects to report yet. I am tired but I think that's more due to sitting inactive all day than anything.

The doctors and nurses repeatedly reminded me to CALL THEM if I have side effects that my prescribed meds aren't controlling. They said not to suffer just because I may assume “that's how chemo is supposed to be". They have a lot they can do to help, but I have to tell them when I'm not doing well.

LMS - are you still going in tomorrow or are you delayed?

Wishing us all the best

Tracy

Edited to add that my period, which has been MIA since 8/5, picked today to finally show up (a month late).SickTired

• snaffle53
    Options

Not a good day. Yes, I have been getting tiny amounts of poop out. But, today I realized I’m probably chock full of shit that isn’t moving past an impaction. So, off to ER. I was in a lot of pain from abdominal pressure and bloating. But all they did was do a CT scan to make sure nothing structurally wrong.

Sent me home to get OTC enemas. First one did not go well. I can’t hold it in. I’m miserable. Got a Gastroenterologist to call tomorrow. And just think, next Wednesday I go through this again!

• santabarbarian
    Options

Consider Fasting or fasting mimicking. Look up Dr Valter Longo. Easier (IMO) to not eat on the front side of chemo and kick back into normal gear faster w no distress. Fasting is chemo-protective to healthy cells and chemo-enhancing against cancer (in mice; now testing in humans). On FM, you have three tiny light meals of apx 250-300 cal, low protein, w/ good fats.

Believe me, I like to eat but I also like to feel good and poop! I did FM for 5 days since the idea of no food for 3 days was terrifying to me! FM was not hard, it was like preparing for battle with a purification ritual. By the second day you are pretty used to it. And I liked the idea of protecting myself and stressing the cancer!

If you feel a whole lot better, then light eating for 5 days (or no eating for 3 days) is a small sacrifice. Very worth at least trying, if your SEs are bad! Either way, chemo day is the middle day.

PS considering weekly taxol, I know some people do 36 hour water fast prior to chemo day and then break fast chemo day evening.

Hot pad on abdomen helped me too.

• tmh0921
    Options

snaffle

Can you try glycerin suppositories?

Tracy

• snaffle53
    Options

I guess I’m willing to try anything. Tomorrow morning I will take another saline enema. I couldn’t bear another tonight. If enemas don’t work I have a prescription that may help. I really wish someone could put a hose up my butt to break things up and flush it out. Maybe I can hold a suppository in for it to work. Don’t know.

I am tired and worn out from the day. Both mentally and physically.

• tmh0921
    Options

constipation is no joke, and it gets painful

I hope you can get It resolved soon.

Tracy

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    Options

May I join in? I just found out my first chemo treatment (TCHP x 6) is scheduled for September 17th. I must say I’m relieved to get a plan in place. Hopefully they can get my CT, bone scan, heart test, and port placement all scheduled next week.

• tmh0921
    Options

Welcome Angie!

I’ve added you to our list. We’ll get through this together!

I hope your scans and port placement go well.

Tracy

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    Options

Thanks, Tracy!!

Reading about the constipation reminds me of a tip one of my friends gave me. She had thyroid cancer and cancer in her abdominal area. She said her chemo caused her to be very constipated. Shetook a coffee cup, filled it 2/3 full of Sprite and a 1/4 full of prune juice. She heated it up to where it was warm - not hot - and drank it all. She said it tasted like Dr. Pepper and, boy did it work. Just something to try if all else fails!

• tmh0921
    Options

oh I LOVE Dr Pepper, so I will try that!

I pre-dosed with colace and miralax tonight, if it doesn't help I'm throwing any and everything at it LOL