Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Options

Comments

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    Options

Thank you TMH, I should have been more specific, but you got what I meant...lol

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Turkeypoult

Glad it’s going relatively smoothly so far. I hope it continues without too many SEs.

Tracy

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    Options

I get my port placed tomorrow. I’m a little nervous but ready to get this show on the road. The quicker I can get the “medicines” to kill this cancer, the better I will feel

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107
    Options

Second cycle of AC went well today. Mild headache with Cytoxan. Advil managing it. Came home and took two doses of Miralax till I got results. That will be my plan each day. Dose can be adjusted easily. But I want results each day.

Strangest feeling is that I feel very slowed down. Everything I do requires all my attention and I have to be very deliberate about anything I do. Fulphila ( same as Neulasta) shot tomorrow at noon. I did pretty well with it last time. Hope to repeat mild effects.

Hope all you gals are doing ok and have a good evening

• tmh0921
    Options

Snaffle

I have my fingers crossed that you don’t have any constipation issues this cycle.

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

Angie

I definitely felt better about the whole thing once I actually had my first treatment, at least then we’re “doing something”

Tracy

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

I hope your port placement went smoothly, AngieB92.

I hope you have an easier time with SEs this time, Snaffle.

I just had my first blood test. Everything is lower as expected, but especially my ANC. They want me to stay away from people for the next several days, at least. That means missing my son's first soccer game on Saturday. The soccer fields are always packed with families, it's a germ fest even if it's outdoors. I wasn't looking forward to the heat anyway, but he'll be disappointed. At least his grandparents are coming in to town to attend. I'm still going to try to have lunch with him at school on Monday. We get to sit in an outdoor patio separate from all the other kids, so not too germy.

• tmh0921
    Options

I had bloodwork yesterday yesterday and my counts were low as well, except my immature granulocytes which were 20.40 %, normal range is 0.0 - 0.5% 😳. I was freaked out but the MO said that’s the Neulasta kicking out new cells.

I’m the lead chaperone for my oldest’s marching band. I’m feeling ok, so I’m going to chaperone tomorrow. If I need to I can wear one of those germ masks I bought, but it’s outside so I’m hoping to make due with sanitizer gel and wipes. I just don’t do well as a homebody, I hope I don’t pay for it later.

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

Angie - hope your port placement goes smoothly today.

Gamb - today's your first treatment, you got this! Check in and let us know how you are if you can.

Snaffle - hoping things are going better for you this cycle

• arizonaboundgal
    arizonaboundgal Member Posts: 38
    Options

I'm popping in from the August surgery group to give a shout out to everyone that was in the group...and of course every single one of you that are here as well. It seems like everyone is having at least a little bit of trouble with the SE, but you all make it look as easy as it can be. Hang tough, ladies....just wanted to know that I'm still thinking of you all. <3

• tmh0921
    Options

<waving> Hi Arizona!

Hope you’re doing well

Tracy

• LMS458412
    Options

Tracy, I'm a homebody, so I don't mind staying home. Plus, there's a nasty stomach virus going around locally. I don't want any part of that. My immature gran is 21.4, so the Neulasta is definitely kicking in for me, too.

Hi Arizona!!!!

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    Options

Thanks everyone!! Port placement went well. It hurt just a second but nothing I couldn’t tolerate. I did have a pity party on the table - sad that I even had to do his at all but I thought of everyone on here and knew I was not alone. I am glad to get the port as one of my veins blew out doing the bloodwork for the heart test. Now on to bone test Monday and Treatment Tuesday!

TMH - have a blast chaperoning!!

LMS - sorry you have to miss your son’s soccer game.

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

I didn't realize until today how vastly different the PICC is from a port. I'm having a total of four cycles each of AC and T, after a BMX, so I know there's a definite end in sight. I was scheduled for a port, but decided to go with a PICC in part because they told me they could take it out immediately after my last Taxol infusion, which, if all goes well, will be on new year's eve. So many if's, but even the possibility that I could not have a PICC line in on new year's day is psychologically incredibly motivating. I'm still looking at what's involved with the PICC - does anyone here have one rather than a port?

• CAP0703
    CAP0703 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Everyone,

New here and this is my first post. I had surgery last Friday (9/6) and am still waiting for the path results. That said at this point the plan is for 12 weeks of Taxol and a year of Herceptin - could be subject to change depending on pathology and lymph nodes. I jumped in this forum because I think I am most concerned about the chemo. I have had people suggesting cold capping, but I don't think that is for me. But of course I don't like the alternative either. I welcome any and all advice on this new journey!

Dx 8/1/19 DCIS, and IDC Left, grade 2, ER-/PR- HER 2 +

• tmh0921
    Options

Welcome CAP0703

I can't speak to Herceptin and Taxol as I'm on Cytoxan and Taxotere, but there are ladies here who have Taxol and Herceptin in their regimens.

We're here for you.

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

ACchaos

I have a port, so I can't speak to a PICC line. I found it interesting that there were several choices for receiving chemo. My MO didn't offer a PICC line, but she said if I didn't want a port they could try using my veins directly. I didn't want to risk the damage so I chose a port. My surgeon even said there's multiple places they can put a port (chest or arm), my port is in my chest, but the tube accesses my subclavian vein between my clavicle bone and my rib rather than into my jugular, so I only have one small scar. I'd be interested to hear what others say about a PICC line. It seems far less invasive.

Tracy

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

Tracey - for me it's come down to the procedure to insert/remove the port vs. picc. I totally get that a port is super useful, but as there is no chance that my chemo will be extended beyond the plan, I'm reluctant to have the bigger procedure. I've been reading up on the picc and it seems like it has a mild risk of thrombosis, which the port has as well. The fact that it can be inserted w/o a surgical procedure and removed quickly is really all I care about at this moment. And my oncology doesn't have a preference, so that's the plan. They're going to put it in either the day before or the morning of my first infusion.

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107
    Options

Feeling rather wasted after 2nd AC cycle and Fulphila shot today. Took a nap this afternoon. That helped. Relying on Miralax this go around and think I have a handle on things. I know these next 3 days are the worst. No plans for me but rest as needed.

I had a few low blood count days last week were I had to wear a mask for protection. It’s not too bad. And certainly better than catching some bug.

I’m sending good wishes to all you September ladies. Reading about you and sharing here is my lifeline. I would be lost without all of you and this forum

• Gamb
    Options

Hey all, my first a.c. chemo went ok, it took awhile tho with all the trainng and meds. Went to my grandsons cross country race felt a little queasy, home now, feet are a little,puffy, don't know if that is normal or not but I did drink alot of water today

• Floridaliving18
    Floridaliving18 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Hi

I am starting chemo on 9/17. Ac+t. Any info on first 2 chemo treatments of AC would be helpful to me. Thank you all for sharing.

• Floridaliving18
    Options

9/17/19 AC+T Floridaliving18

• Gamb
    Options

Hi Florida, I was so terrified of my first dose of a.c. and chemo in general. The staff explained everything they were given me and side effects and what the meds supposedly do. They accessed my port , made sure it was working, then they gave me antnausea meds and steroid before the chemo. The a part of the chemo was pushed thru tubing into port over a period of time, the c was hung with and iv bag. I was send home with antnausea meds and steroid and was told how my Dr wanted them taken. The fisr day went good, did have some nausea in the evening meds took care of it. Today starts my second day, hope all gos well.

• Floridaliving18
    Options

Thank you for sharing. Dreaming of chemo last night. Still feel like i am living a long dream since diagnosis surgery now next phase chemo. Reassuring to hear from you and others. Wish this was not so close to flu 😷 season. Good luck in your journey.

• Gamb
    Options

it's great to have support from someone who has been there, and even tho it's not the knowledge most of us would have wanted, thank God for all of you, my he provide rest and comfort to us all

• Floridaliving18
    Options

Amen. Hope your next couple of days are restful

• LMS458412
    Options

Snaffle - Glad to hear your only plans are to rest. We are here for you! We'll get through this together.

CAP0703 - Welcome. Feel free to ask questions. You can also go back to the previous months' groups and find other people on the same protocol and see what their experience was.

Gamb - I'm glad your first AC went okay. I'm not on the same protocol, but I also got puffy feet the first two days. I just propped them up on a pillow anytime I laid down and the puffiness went away eventually. They never hurt or got too big - if they did, I would have called it in.

Floridaliving - Welcome. Several others here are on the same plan. I hope you'll get some answers that will make you feel more comfortable with this phase of treatment. Are you in Florida? I live on the east side of metro Orlando.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Dear Floridaliving18,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are so glad that you reached out to join our members. Good luck with the start of your chemotherapy next week. Keep us all posted on how everything goes for you.

The Mods

• kv99
    kv99 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Gamb, I'm with you on the wtf happened. I feel like I went from being a happy, healthy and super active 50 year old a few weeks ago to having the rug pulled out from under me and becoming a full time patient. I've never gone through something like this.

Turkey, I will also be on TCHP - thank you for your info on SE so far.

Angie, glad port placement went ok. Do you have to adjust what you're wearing as far as bras/sports bras?

LMS, I"m sorry you had to miss soccer. My son's first baseball game of the season is tomorrow and I think I'm going to have to sit it out.

Arizona, it's great to hear from someone who's been there. Thank you!

Florida, best of luck next week.

Thank you everyone and Tracy for the warm welcome! Hope chaperoning worked out and was fun!

I had my sentinel node biopsy this morning. I've been pretty groggy since I came out of anesthesia. I got home at noon but otherwise just icing the area, taking tylenol, and putting my feet up. The surgeon numbed the area especially well, so I'm not feeling much pain, but Percocet is on deck if I need it. Hoping to avoid the heavy stuff. The good news is that the preliminary pathology done right after surgery says the lymph nodes she took are negative! I have no idea of any details or how many were taken, I was out of it and the surgeon relayed everything to my husband...so you know how that goes. Next week is a busy one, MRI-guided biopsy of my left breast to look at the small lesion they found there, teeth cleaning before chemo, chemo class with nurse, echocardiogram, and port placement Friday. Good times!

• aln82
    aln82 Member Posts: 6
    Options

hi everyone! Did I miss this already? What are cold booties and where do I get them. Where can I find a good list of what to buy?! I am behind in my prep!

X

Anna