Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

Leah

My water retention/swelling finally resolved for the most part last week. I did have a little in my chest earlier this week, but it only lasted a day. I'm with you, I hope it goes away and doesn't come back. I actually lost 5 pounds over the holiday, all in water weight! I hope hormone therapy treats you well!

Tracy

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

Tracy - Thanks! My feet/ankles are much better today. I am hoping the swelling is almost done. I'd love to lose some water weight! I gained 4 pounds in the past month! Now I need to lose 14 pounds instead of 10. UGH! Hopefully a couple of those are from the swelling. :)

I'm trying to drink more water, green tea, and fresh vegetable juice every day to clean out my system. Thinking of getting a rebounder for myself for Christmas. My physical therapist says it's good for the lymphatic system. It looks fun, too. Anything to get me moving more....

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

Hey guys! I'm about a week and a half past my last TC treatment. I have some fluid retention, my blood pressure is a little high, my teeth feel weak (if that makes sense), I've gained about 15 pounds, I'm short of breath, my implants are uncomfortable, my right eye tears randomly and I get gassy about mid day every day (it just hangs around in my chest and I burp now and then). I go for blood work and see my oncologist on Monday. She is planning on putting me on Letrozole at that time. My hysterectomy/oophorectomy is scheduled for January 20th. I'm still on the Lupron shots to shut down my ovaries until then. I'm nervous about another surgery but I also want to have all of this behind me.

The holidays just don't feel like the holidays to me this year. My tree is up and decorated. All the other decorations are out. I hope I get in the spirit soon. The company Christmas party is this Friday at Top Golf. I've never been there but it sounds fun.

I hope you're all doing great and that your SEs are minute! I miss having the time to really be on the forums.

• tmh0921

Bridget - When I was DX the first time I had my lumpectomy and axillary mode dissection on 12/22 and spent Christmas and New year waiting on test results to see what stage I was and if my cancer had spread. It was a very stressful 2 weeks. To this day I have a hard time with the Christmas holiday because of the memories. I do my best not to let it show to my family.

This year maybe I can see the positives, I'm done with chemo :)

BTW everyone - one month post final chemo and I have very fine light colored peach fuzz on my head! I hope this is a prelude to full on hair re-growth!

Hugs everyone

Tracy

• Brilee76

Tracy - Some of my gray hair survived the chemo. The rest hasn't started growing back but I know it's a bit early. I'm pretty excited about having my hair again! I had colored it so much I'm really not sure what the natural color is with the exception of the gray I kept covering.

• lms458412

Bridget - Glad to hear from you. Sorry you still have some remaining annoying SE's. I understand what you mean about your teeth. My toenails feel that way. I also am having issues with gas, but it's from the other end! I fart like crazy between 6 and 7 am every morning! I hope your SE's resolve soon and you can enjoy the holidays!

Tracy - Congrats on the peach fuzz! That's awesome! Nothing's growing on my head yet, but I do have some patches of hair left. I am taking Biotin daily, so hopefully I'll see some fuzz by the end of the month!

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Hey all, any hair sounds great to me congrats...lol, Had my 3rd dd taxol today infusion went well, preparing myself for Saturday when the pain sets in. I hate taking the ibuprofen and pain meds because they don't help, but I do not want to take the chance of the pain hurting more, if you know what I mean. If all stays well I'll have my last dose of chemo in two weeks, then that's all the active treatment I will have. Being tn chemo is all I get. I am planning to amp up my exercise and tweak my diet, but I was doing all that before cancer so I don't know if it will help can't hurt, but I am going to try to enjoy life more, hope all have a great evening.

• Brilee76

Enjoying life more is on my list of things to do too. :)

• lms458412

You're getting close to being done, Gamb! More exercise and improving your diet can't hurt. I'm a big believer in having a good attitude and enjoying life. Be thankful for all your blessings. I try to take time every day to be grateful for things I used to take for granted. Again, can't hurt, might help. Why not?!

• FTM
    FTM Member Posts: 24

Hi everyone. I’ve had a rough go with TCH number 5. I have been extremely fatigued and it has taken longer to bounce back in comparison with all the other treatments. I guess that is the cumulative effect everyone is talking about. I have my last chemo on 20 December so I’m just keeping my head down and focusing on that.

I’m so happy for everyone that has finished up chemo. It must be an amazing feeling. How is everyone else holding up? You are all in my prayers daily. Although I don’t post here a lot I often read the feed and love to see updates.

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45

Reading all the posts I also wondered about the upcoming bellringers... who can we cheer for next?

Will I have the honor of bringing in the rear for 2019 with last TAC on December 27?

Love to y’all

• ik0106
    ik0106 Member Posts: 16

My last of 12 weekly Taxol treatments is next Friday (the 13th) I stll have to go for Herceptin every 3 weeks but at least the chemo portion will be over. I have been very lucky throughout my treatments, I have kept all my hair thanks to cold capping and have had very few side effects.

• ik0106
    ik0106 Member Posts: 16

My last of 12 weekly Taxol treatments is next Friday (the 13th) I stll have to go for Herceptin every 3 weeks but at least the chemo portion will be over. I have been very lucky throughout my treatments, I have kept all my hair thanks to cold capping and have had very few side effects.

• Gamb
    • Patty and iko that is fantastic news, I will ring the bell Dec 19th hopefully, so we are in good company congrats ladies, high fives to all of us who have come to an end of chemo and to the ones on the way
  • Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45

ik0106 and Gamb,

Wonderful, happiness has such a great way of multiplying!

So we have the 13th, 19th, 27th so far... awesome. Are there still more celebrations this month?

No hair left over here by the way but getting done with chemo should make us all feel like superstars I am sure

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180

Congrats ladies, I have 2 more to go, still on course, this hasn’t been easy for sure! My last and final is set for January 7th, I had always thought of myself as a strong independent female, can handle anything, wow have I been fooled, chemo has kicked my ass, I can see the end, hugs and positive vibes

Linda

• tmh0921

Thinking of all of you as you finish chemo in the coming weeks. May 2020 be a better year for all of us. Ring that bell loud ladies!

Tracy

• Brilee76

Im always reading your updates and cheering for you guys! Im still swelling really bad. Top Golf was fun but my legs were so swollen by the time I got home that it looked like I didn't have ankles. I've been really tired today too. Too much too soon?

• Gamb

Ladies, remember we have been thru hell and back be gentle with yourselves, let's not rush the healing take it easy and take time, Brilee i hope the swelling goes down soon,,must be so uncomfortable, legs up and rest

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

I will ring the bell on December 30! My 5th treatment is Tuesday.

I’m so happy to hear from you all!

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69

I am done 6 dose dense treatments, 2 left to go and I can't wait to be done and get this darn PICC line out! Still have to do Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year though, but should be able to do that by IV. Last chemo will be January 2! I can't believe we are all getting through it. At the beginning it felt like it would take forever. I'm still struggling mentally, but it's gotten somewhat better. The Taxol has been easier than the AC, as I just feel super tired with sore hands and feet. I'm able to eat normally, so that's been better.

I hope everyone is doing well. 😊

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42

I’m on day six after my first Taxol and can not believe how bad the side effects have been compared to AC. The aching is truly unreal. Despite using cryo socks and frozen bottled water for my hands, the neuropathy has been terrible. Fingertips and toe tips. Joint pain esp in legs. Really uncomfortable. Tylenol isn’t doing anything. I’m just waiting it out. Anyone else doing biweekly T? I’m trying to gauge whether to raise my discomfort to my MO or not. It’s so hard to tell whether it’s extreme or normal..

• Gamb

ACchaos, I will have my last dd taxol the 19th, and from the first one I have had major joint and muscle pain especially in my legs, ibuprofen and Tylenol and pain meds do little for this pain. Luckily I have not had any problems with neuropathy in my hands or feet. I hope you find relief

• Dottybird
    Dottybird Member Posts: 25

Sorry about the neuropathy, my migraine meds cause my hands and feet to tingle all the time and it is annoying. Sometimes I have a hard time picking things up. My neurologist suggested magnesium and B vitamins. If you like baths, you can get magnesium through Epsom salt baths. Or just take both as supplements.

Best wishes to everyone, especially those still doing chemo. ❤️

• tmh0921

I have lingering numbness in my fingertips and the tips of my toes from TC. I also have ongoing muscle weakness/aches which I originally attributed to fatigue, but am now thinking are also tied to neuropathy. My MO also suggested B12.

Tracy

• Brilee76

My bloodwork came back good today. 🙌👍 My oncologist said I'm probably gonna lose one of my fingernails temporarily. They've been sore through my treatments. My blood pressure was good but I still have a lot of fluid retention. I start Zometa infusions on the 30th of this month. I start Letrozol next week. No more Lupron shots. My hysterectomy & oophorectomy is a go for 1/20/20. I see my plastic surgeon next Monday. I was given a hand out on starting a plant based diet... 😩 It makes me laugh a little to look over everything I just typed and see that the plant based diet seems the hardest thing to me.

• tmh0921

Bridget

I tried to switch to a plant based diet several years ago, It was an epic fail for me. I enjoy steak and chicken too much :(

I'm not really convinced that meat is bad, I think it's what is being given to animals that produce the meat that is harming us. Way too many hormones and antibiotics, etc. I've started looking for non-GMO, no hormone, no antibiotic. Not sure if it helps, but I feel like I'm trying :)

Tracy

• tmh0921

OK ladies. I'm 1 day shy of 5 weeks post final chemo and I definitely have some hair re-growth starting on my scalp. The fine hairs that started as light peach fuzz have morphed into longer and darker peach fuzz. I've been rubbing avocado oil on my scalp several nights a week. Not sure if it's helping or not, but it's worth a shot. No sign of hair return anywhere else on my body. Honestly, It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it didn't grow back and I could skip shaving from now on LOL

I had my first tissue expander fill last week, and have my second this week. The PS is going slowly, at 50cc per fill, and I was still sore for a couple of days after. I don't see how people who get big fills each time handle it, I don't think faster would be better in this case (bigger fills = faster expansion and quicker surgery).

I'm 1 week from my first Zoladex injection, and so far I only have hot flashes and aches. I really can't say that either of these are from the Zoladex, as I was having both before the injection. I'll keep you all updated as I get further along the journey for those who might find it helpful.

Hugs to all still getting chemo. Keep us updated so we can celebrate the end of chemo with y'all!

Tracy

• Gamb

Thanks for the updates Tracy, nice to know you are coming along good in your recovery. One of many heroines in this group.

• Brilee76

I meant to tell you guys... my oncologist said to do the following regarding my eye tearing:

Visine in the morning

Warm washcloth/compress morning and evening