Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

No detox for me either, my MO said my body would flush itself. After the holidays, I’ll cut out soda again (was only drinking water before chemo, but during chemo soda and Gatorade were all that tasted decent) and I’ll cut back on processed foods, but that’s all I’m planning on changing

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42

Yay, congrats!!!

So y'all were right. The neuropathy was worse than expected for a first dose, so my MO pushed me a week on dose two. I suspect we will talk this week about switching to weekly smaller doses, too. :( We shall see!

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

You're in my thoughts and prayers ACchaos. <3

I started Letrozole today along with vitamin E. I also saw my PS. More surgery in March. We're shootin for 6 weeks after my hysterectomy. He's gonna put some stitches in my right "boob" to give me some symmetry since it sits lower than my left. Also gonna do some fat grafting to fill in some of the concave areas and hide the rippling.

I also started my plant based breakfast and lunch today. Breakfast didn't go so well. lol I had Honey Smacks and milk. Lunch was better. Brown rice and steamed tofu with mixed vegetables and garlic sauce on the side.

I hope you're all having a great day!

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

Congrats ik0106!

Gamb - I have not done a detox. I would consider doing one in the future, but I personally would not do one this soon after chemo. I've heard it can be hard on your body and I'm focused on relaxed healing right now. Will pick up the pace, focus and intensity in 2020....

Snaffle - Praying your body bounces back and you have no delays!!!

ACchaos - Praying the break and a little tweak in the dosage gives you a chance to heal and keeps the neuropathy from coming back/getting any worse!

• lms458412

I find myself envious of you ladies who have started hormonal treatment. I am getting worried/scared now, too, because I'm supposed to get ovarian suppression and an AI, too, but no appointment has been made, no date set, for me to start. Is my onc moving too slowly? Shouldn't I be on something by now?

I have an appointment on Thursday for a blood test. I'm going to ask to see the doctor or PA and push for answers.... I'm not looking forward to being on medication, or dealing with potential side effects, but I want to do what I can to prevent a recurrence. Sigh.

• tmh0921

Leah - My MO wanted me on something ASAP, which is why I'm back on Tamoxifen while we wait to see if the Zoladex injections have put me into menopause (having my hormone levels retested at the end of Jan).

Update on neuropathy...

I started taking a prenatal vitamin about a week and a half ago and my neuropathy seems to be a little better. Prenatals have multiple B vitamins as well as magnesium which are all supposed to be good for neuropathy. As an added benefit, prenatal vitamins are supposed to support healthy hair.

Tracy

• Monkey0299
    Monkey0299 Member Posts: 28

LMS, my appt to speak to my MO and start hormone treatment is not until January 15. My last chemo was Nov13. He said we could schedule anytime within 1-2 months PFC. I still have no many aches and pains, I really wanted to try to clear some of them out before starting so I would have some idea which SEs were relates to the hormone treatment. Your worry is making me kind of worried I should not have delayed. I’d be interested to hear what your MO says at your blood test appointment.

I have just scheduled my implant revision surgery for June 2. Hopefully, I will feel detoxed by then. It would be nice to just start to feel better.

Btw, I’m still not seeing peach fuzz or hair? Curious about the progress of those who finished TC and when I should call my MO freaking out. I think if I don't see anything at the 6 week mark, I will call

• tmh0921

I’ll be 6 weeks post final TC on Wednesday and here’s where my hair re-growth stands.

Tracy

• lms458412

Thanks, Monkey. I don't feel quite as bad knowing your MO said it was okay to wait. I'm still going to ask about it. I'll post what I find out.

Thanks for the hair update, Tracy. Looks like you kept some hair and are also getting some growth!

I just had my husband look at my head and he sees a little bit of stubble!!! I have a few small areas with growth. Other areas = nothing. But, it's a start!

Hang in there, Monkey. Maybe have someone check for growth in areas you can't see. It might start coming in small patches at first. You may not see it today, but maybe in a couple of days!!!! Fingers crossed it's very soon for you.

• Monkey0299

Tracy and LMS, Thank you both for the hair support. I have an appointment Wednesday to have my wig cut at the salon where I bought it. I’m going to have them check for any growth 🀞🏻🀞🏻. I have a tiny bit of wispy hair left (the cold cap did not work well for me) so it’s hard to tell what’s what on my scalp.

On another note, is anyone starting on Tamoxifen? It seems like everyone is doing AIs with or without ovarian suppression. My MO seems reluctant to go the AI route with me to start. Hoping to get more information from him next month as the AIs seem like they provide more protection, but in the meantime, thought I’d check with the group.

• tmh0921

LMS - I had shaved my head so this is all new growth. It’s growing in in patches though.

Monkey - I’m on ovarian suppression and Tamoxifen. I’ll be switching to an AI once we’re sure I’m now in menopause. I’ve taken Tamoxifen alone twice before. I took it from 2000-2002 (stopped to get pregnant), and from 2016-2019 (stopped for chemo). I restarted taking it on 12/2.

For me, Tamoxifen causes hot flashes, weight gain, and some joint aches. It’s always been doable

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 408

Brilee. We have similar dx and you are getting chemo. What was your oncotype? I am 15 and had trouble getting chemo. First doc undecided second no third yes but cmf (Sloan thing). I’m worried it’s not strong enough. You’re not doing radiation? I am due to lyphovascular invasion. Crazyhow different treatment depending on dr.

• Dottybird
    Dottybird Member Posts: 25

I will be starting Tamoxifen after my double mastectomy in February. MO wants to wait until after surgery because Tamox can cause blood clots. I asked if risky to wait so long and she said it is fine.

My hair is growing slowy too, and it looks like the white hairs are growing faster than the brown ones!

I have been a vegan or vegetarian for most of my life (since I was 10) so feel free to ask if you have any questions about a plant based diet. I had no problems with my iron levels or red blood count during chemo. In my humble opinion, I think it is most important to cut out processed foods as much as possible -- after chemo of course . Do whatever works during chemo. I read all food labels. There is a lot of sugar and extra stuff we don't need in processed foods. Then again, I eat healthy and teach yoga and still got cancer so maybe ignore me! 😁

Best wishes to you all! If you see my missing taste buds, please send them my way...

• Brilee76

JRNR - My MO did the EndoPredict test.

EndoPredict Breast Cancer Gene Expression Profile
    - EPClin Risk Score: 4.5 (high risk)
    - 12-Gene Molecular Score: 7.9
    - Tumor Stage: pT2
    - Nodal Status: pN1mi

I don't know what most of that means but my MO went over the results with me and showed me a chart to help me understand and decide on the best method of treatment. I had a 28% chance of recurrence. Chemo lowered that to 15%. My MO felt the 13% decrease was worth the risk of SEs from chemo due to my age. The .26 mm micrometastasis wasn't IN my lymph node but on it. The two lymph nodes behind it were negative so it appears no cancer made it past the first lymph node. I didn't have to have radiation because my surgeon got really good margins, all known cancer was removed as well as all of my breast tissue.

• Brilee76

I also meant to mention that there is a board of doctors who specialize in cancer treatment that meets every Thursday. My case was presented to them and the board as a whole went over my test results and records to decide on the best method of treatment.

• Brilee76

Tracy! Look at all that dark stubble! I'm super ready to see some hair with pigment. lol I'll post a pic of mine on Friday if I remember. I'll be 4 weeks post chemo at that point.

• Monkey0299

Hello everyone. Hope you all are doing ok today.

Good news! I had my appointment to style my wig at the salon and I was told that I do have some hair growth!!!! I was so relieved I almost cried. It’s very hard to see because it’s all gray (and my hair is brown), but I don’t care. Hair is hair. Does anyone know what he timeframe is on hair dye? Do we need to wait a certain amount of time? If it's brown, it might look like more hair. Regardless, I was thrilled to hear the news. I am 5 weeks PFC today.

Tmh, bummed to hear about weight gain on tamoxifen. I just wish I could start with the AIs because it seems like studies report they work better to prevent recurrence, so to endure all the SEs of tamoxifen without full protection is frustrating.

I have so many questions for my MO.

• tmh0921

Monkey0299

I was disappointed to be back on Tamoxifen, I no longer trust it as my current cancer developed while on Tamoxifen and it's strongly ER/PR+. My MO said AIs aren't feasible until they are sure I'm in menopause though, so hopefully the Zoladex is doing it's job and by February I can switch over to an AI.

I've heard that AIs come with their fair share of SEs as well, I'm hoping they aren't any worse than Tamoxifen.

Tracy

• lms458412

Congratulations Monkey! I knew it would come back!

I think you're supposed to wait 6 months to dye your hair, but I'd definitely ask your MO.

• lms458412

Hi again! I saw my MO today and had a blood test. My neutrophils, red blood cells and platelets are all in the normal range, but white blood cell count is a bit low. I go back in mid-January for another blood test and to start my ovarian suppression.

Saw my breast surgeon a couple of days ago and she said I'm healing very well. She wants me to start an exercise regimen and eating clean in January. She has some free yoga and nutrition classes coming up in January and February for her patients. I love her! I love that she believes in medicine AND nutrition AND exercise AND supplements as the best way to treat and prevent.

Hope everyone is having a good week! Praying for you all to enjoy the upcoming holidays with no issues!

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Hey all, chemo is done I rang the bell, I'll see my mo in Jan to go over plan.

Merry Christmas every one

• Brilee76

Merry Christmas Gamb! Congratulations!

• lms458412

Yay Gamb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107

Congratulations, Gamb!,!!!!

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

Congratulations, Gamb!!! Merry Christmas!

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69

Congratulations Gamb! πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆ So happy for you.

I had number 7 chemo today, only 1 more to go. Seems unreal that I'm almost through it. Couldn't have done it without all you fine ladies! 😊

• Monkey0299

Congratulations Gamb! Ange, so close!

LMS, your MO sounds amazing. Mine doesn't discourage healthy lifestyle choices and supplements as long as they don't hurt me, but he doesn't actively encourage the, either. Now that the immediate time-sensitiv crisis is at bay, it might be time for a sexond opinion.

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

"i made it I thru the rain and found myself respected by the the others who got rained on to and made thru" we made it thru🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢🎢 thank you all you beautiful wonderful strong ladies, great group of women. Quote by Barry Manilow, spelling check?

• lms458412

Great quote, Gamb. We made it through, or we're going to make it through!!!! Yay for those who are done, and hang in there to those who are almost done!!!

Monkey, my MO is not amazing, just pretty good. I trust her guidance, but she's very narrow - just medicine. It's my breast surgeon who is amazing. She's a positive energy that is much needed in the chaos that is BC treatment. Everyone needs a cheerleader like that. I'm lucky my wonderful GYN referred me to her. If it wasn't for her, I'm sure my attitude would be much worse.

• tmh0921

congratulations Gamb!!! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰