Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45

Just wanted to complain a bit and say: recovery drags on longer and longer with each chemo. After the first one, I remember being pretty much back to normal after one week. Now, the disgusting taste, shortness of breath, debilitating fatigue and weakness only even starts to get really bad after one week.

To make a long story short: I think it gets time we all get done with this. I know we are all getting close now and we should...

Thinking about all of you

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

Getting treatment #5 as we speak. Last treatment is going to be December 31 - the original date. I'm okay with that. Pretty profound to be ending chemo on the last day of the year!

I'm so glad to hear you all bouncing back, pushing through, and seeing hair regrowth. It really helps boost my motivation. Wishing all a great day! ❤️

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

Just wanted to show you guys how much of my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes survived. The hair that I lost hasn't started growing back yet. I'll try to do updates maybe weekly once it starts coming back.

• Patty66

Love that awesome smile, Angie! We are almost there! Nothing short of warriors all of you (us).

Thanks for the hair update, Brilee. My head looks pretty similar, probably less fine hairs though. We will all have beautiful pixies soon, I am convinced

• Monkey0299
    Monkey0299 Member Posts: 28

Brilee, thank you for the tips for watering eyes. I am going to try that. The watering is so annoying. I am seeing an ophthalmologist on Monday.

LMS, wondering if you've had any hair regrowth? I am 4 weeks PFC tomorrow and no regrowth yet. I am super frustrated and so worried about the permanent hair loss associated with taxotere. The cold cap left me with a tiny bit of wispy hair but I am definitely not a cold cap success story. Still, my MO said using the cold cap would at least cause my hair to regrow quicker. Well, that has not happened either. I wonder how long beforeI should become very worried 😢

Congrats to everyone who has finished and thosenearing the end of chemo. It’s definitely a great feeling to be finished with this part of the journey.

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

I've found it difficult to go fully plant-based as well. I've just cut back on the amount of beef, chicken and dairy products that I eat, and I spend more money getting higher quality stuff. I look for organic, grass-fed, non-GMO and so on. I do eat a lot more fruit and veggies now, though, and I'm juicing 4-5 days a week, and drinking green smoothies and eating salads a lot.

Some of my eyebrows survived, similar to Bridget's. I have some fine hairs on my arms and legs, too. I lost all the underarm hair...that can stay gone! And my pubic hair is all gone, too, which is so weird for me. And I lost about 99% of what's on my head.

Monkey, I have had no hair regrowth yet. I am taking Biotin daily, and my husband washes my head and massages it about 3-4 times a week, but that's all I've been doing to try to help the regrowth. I understand from my research here and elsewhere, that most people don't see regrowth until 6 or 7 weeks out. So, I'm hoping for a Christmas miracle!! I'm not worried yet, and I don't think you should be either. Some people it took as long as 9 weeks to see something happen. Are you taking Biotin or using oil on your head? Might try that if you're not already.

I'll be praying that we all get our hair back!!!! And thinking of those who are finishing up this week. Hugs to you all!

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69

I am so happy for those of you finishing up chemo. 😊🎉🎈👍🏼

Question for those of you who had hand and/foot numbness on Taxol - did it improve once you're done chemo? I have completed 4 dose dense AC and 2 dose dense Taxol, 2 left to go and the numbness has set in this cycle. It's not painful in my hands, just annoying more than anything else. I mentioned it last time and the Doctor didn't seem too concerned. It's mostly my fingers. And my feet hurt if I'm standing or walking too much. Like when you get a really bad sunburn then scratch it, on the whole soles of my feet. Wondering if I just tough it out for 2 more treatments, or see if they can do something about it?

I hope you're all doing well. 😊

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

ange743

My finger/toe numbness has not resolved and I’m 5 weeks out from TC (Taxotere is also a taxane like Taxol). I also have times where the soles of my feet “burn”. Additionally, I have muscle aches and weakness that I originally attributed to fatigue, but now think it’s more related to these other side effects. All of these are symptoms of neuropathy. My MO recommended B12 or a B complex. It’s not debilitating, but it’s definitely annoying.

I’ve been researching and neuropathy may be temporary or permanent. I would definitely mention it to the doctor.

Tracy

• Monkey0299

LMS, In my googling, I keep seeing hair regrowth begins 2-3 weeks PFC. Your research is making me feel a little better, but I am getting very impatient. I am taking biotin, but I am not using oil as I have a tiny bit of hair left, and I’m hoping to keep it as I can wear a baseball cap with the hair out the back and feel somewhat normal. I have some of my eyebrows too and hoping to keep them.

I do have continuing muscle and body aches, like many in this group. I wonder how long that lasts? I am not starting tamoxifen until Jan 15. It would be nice to clear up these chemo SEs before the new hormone therapy SEs begin so we know what to attribute to what

• Brilee76

Monkey, I watch youtube videos where women have documented their weekly hair growth after chemo. Most of them have no regrowth until about 6 weeks. Hang in there. :) In case you guys were wondering, I don't post pics of me in wigs anymore because they irritated my scalp and forehead so much I can't even wear them anymore. I wear a hat when I'm out and about but mostly I just go bald. Hats get really hot sometimes.

I haven't started trying to transition to a plant based iet yet because I had already done my shopping for the week before my oncologist gave me the hand out suggesting it. I plan on switching breakfast and lunch to plant based next week. I'm gonna do oatmeal for breakfast and big salads for lunch. Dinner will be difficult. That's usually the time of day I bomb out and eat things I shouldn't. I like stir fry veggies over rice so maybe I'll try that for dinner. I see myself having trouble getting enough protein. I don't like meat replacements. I can handle some tofu but it's so processed and I feel like that's just as unhealthy as eating meat. I think I'll also try to leave some fish in my diet. We'll just have to wait and see.

The numbness in my fingers has subsided but my fingernails are still a little sore.

Congrats to those of us who are through with chemo and I'm so excited for those of you who are almost there. It's a great feeling knowing that at least that part is over!

• lms458412

Ange743 - I have some mild neuropathy in my toes and balls of my feet from Taxotere. It has improved for me in the past 5 weeks, but it's not gone yet.

Tracy - I also have some muscle aches and weakness. I hope this resolves for us eventually!

Monkey - I think most of the hair loss on TC is done by 4 weeks PFC, so whatever is left will probably stick around. But, regrowth after TC can take a little while. Don't panic yet! I think most of the people who get regrowth 2-3 weeks PFC did Taxol, not Taxotere. So, I think around Christmas-New Year's we should see some peach fuzz!

Bridget - I never went and got a full wig, even though insurance covers it. I got a cheap halo wig online that I sometimes wear under a hat, but I mainly just wear little knit caps when I go out. I love all your fun wigs, but I agree they aren't that comfortable!!!

Most days, I do what you're planning with a plant-based breakfast and lunch. Breakfast - oatmeal with fruit or a plain organic waffle with almond butter on it. I'm getting my kid ready to for school and packing lunch, so I need quick. Lunch is a giant salad or sometimes a veg-based soup. Snacks are mostly fruit, veggies, nuts, fresh juices or green smoothies. Dinner, I just eat whatever I've cooked for my family - usually meat plus pasta/rice/potato plus one or two steamed veggies. I just go heavier on the veggies, lighter on the meat. My meat alternatives are beans (especially lentil soup or lentils with rice), nuts (lots of cashews, almonds and walnuts), and nut butters. I put green peas or chickpeas on salads for protein. I will sometimes have a little organic yogurt or half a slice of cheese. I still do eat a bit too much junk and sweets. I have a square of dark chocolate every day. I have ice cream or sweet potato chips sometimes. I'm trying to give my body lots of nutrition, but sometimes I just need to eat something for the enjoyment of it!

• angieb92

Monkey - I asked my oncologist about the hair loss from Taxotere and he said in his 20 years at my hospital he only had one lady have her hair grow back thinner but it grew back. I think the Biotin and head massages will do the trick! That’s what I’m planning on doing.

I am so happy to hear us talking about diets more - it means we’re transitioning from chemo to life! I am going to go more plant based but with red mean, chicken, and fish. I’m really interested in doing a Mediterranean diet. I have been eating more sweets this week so I will have to get that under control. I’ll use sweets as a reward - I can’t cut them out completely. I also hope you ramp up the exercise. My bod wasn’t in the best of shape when I started chemo and it’s has held up pretty well so far. I need to reward it by treating it better! Especially since I will turn 50 in February

• Brilee76

I didn't do too well with the chemo. I'm really short of breath and gained weight due to the forced menopause and water retention. I'm looking for ways to get moving more. I'm not really outdoorsy but I gotta get some walking in somehow.

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Hey all, I'm not gonna start any diet or changes in my eating until the new year, then I will eat more vegetables and fruits, I love meat so I will cut back but I won't stop it completely because I know I will fail. I will start my walking back on the treadmill , I was doing 5 miles a day but I havent done that since July, I will work my way back up to that level. I'm thinking of getting an adult tricycle and ride it to my local town and back that is 3 miles there and 3 miles back,,just for something different. I will get a rebounder and do that while I watch tv, all this in moderation tho, I'm retired and a widow, so I have the time. God willing this spring I will have a vegerable garden. I couldn't exercise now even if i wanted to, the taxol has caused lot of joint and muscle pain and it will settle down right before my last dose.

• Monkey0299

Brilee and LMS, thank you so much for the hair reality check. I’ve been going down a dark path this past week.

Are any of the MO’s who are recommending plant based diets talking about supplements? I’m considering seeing a nutritionist. My MO seems focused on the medicine to the exclusion of any outside things that could potentially help. I’m interested in trying anything that could help but won’t hurt. Why not at this point, right?

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180

Hello Ladies, hope all is well, I still feel bad, hemoglobin dropped again, it’s at 8 whatever that means, another treatment Tuesday, this is hard, lost another 5lbs, Dr is not going to be happy with me,

Hugs

• Brilee76

The only supplements/vitamins my MO has suggested are entirely in relation to the Letrozole and Zometa I'm about to start. She suggested Vitamin E (1000 IU) to help with the hot flashes I'm already having since I was chemically put into menopause because Letrozole causes hot flashes and hormone driven SEs as well. She also suggested I break open a vitamin e caplet and use the contents topically on my scars from my mastectomies. She suggested I take a calcium supplement once I begin the Zometa. Other suggestions included daily walking and Yoga.

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time Maggie. :( When I was trying to raise my red blood cell count I ate a serving of red meat along with a spinach salad. I would also eat chicken livers or beef liver. Another tip I tried was coconut water. I also take a women's multivitamin every day. I'm not sure which worked because my blood count was always in the normal range when I had blood work done. I hope you feel better soon. <3

• lms458412

Sorry you're having a rough time, Linda. Hugs! I hope it gets better!

My MO has not suggested any supplements (nor any particular diet). I have done a bit of research and I ask her if it's okay to take something. She's approved everything I suggested so far.

Right now I'm taking Magnesium, Calcium, Turmeric, Beta Glucan, Biotin, Vitamins B12, C, and D3. I'm seeing my MO in a week and I'll probably have one or two more things to ask about.

Good tip, Bridget, about putting Vitamin E on scars. I'm healing pretty well, but I still have tightness. I've found that the more I moisturize, the better I feel. I just get busy and don't always do it multiple times a day like I should.

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180

Thank you Brilee, will try it,,

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107

Treatment 6 of weekly Taxol in the books. I was told by my Oncologist that this would likely be my last treatment without support or delay due to dropping blood numbers. Do not like the word “delay”!! I had enough of that with the hospitalization for infection after the first Taxol treatment. No word on what form support would take. I just want to keep things rolling.

In other news I got my consult appointment with breast surgeon for early February. I want a BMX with flat closure. Hope she will be on board. Surgery likely end of February or very early March. I’ll find out more at the appointment.

At the earliest with no delays my chemo goes to January 22nd. Sure hope they can support my blood numbers without delay.

Marilyn

• angieb92

Bridget - you will find something to get you moving!

Gamb - I love your goals! Treadmill, adult tricycle trips, and rebounder. Sounds perfect for Spring!

Maggie - I’m so sorry you are feeling bad. I’m sure the 5 pounds lost isn’t helping!

Bridget and LMS - thanks for the supplement ideas. I currently take D3, Calcium, Ginger Tablets, and. B Complex gummy. I want to incorporate Tumeric, Biotin, and Magnesium. Will have to ask my oncologist at my last chemo appointment!

I’m Day 2 post treatment 5 and my dumb self decided it would be okay to have a taco salad for lunch yesterday and some chili for dinner last night. Needless to say, my esophagus was in fire from about midnight until 2:30am! What a dummy. Today has been a veggie sandwich and tonight is beans. This too shall pass

• kv99
    kv99 Member Posts: 11

I just wanted to chime in on the neuropathy question. I would definitely bring it up to your MO again because I just started experiencing the same symptoms after week 11 of weekly TCHP. I didn’t think it was a big deal because everyone has said it will reverse itself but my MO seemed more concerned due to a recent study she talked about (I’m sorry, I was in bad shape for my appt and didn’t pick up on all the details). She plans on tweaking my Taxol for treatment 13 - 18 and hopefully that will help bring back some feeling in toes. I’ve also had to drop the C carboplatin here and there because of horrible chest pain and pressure. Otherwise I’m on track to wrap up this nonsense on 1/20 with BMX scheduled for a month later.

Cold capping is a chore and a half but it is working for me in case anyone is just starting out and wondering.

Good luck to everyone and congrats on so many being done

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42

Thanks @KV99. I just figured it was normal, but you're right. I'll message my MO today.

• Patty66

ik0106,

Were you able to do your final chemo? Did you ring that bell loudly?

• ik0106
    ik0106 Member Posts: 16

Patty66.

I did finish my final chemo.but I didn't ring the bell. I still have to do Herceptin every 3 weeks so I am thinking thats why (I didnt even ask). I did have a nice little celebration with my cold capper, she brought a bottle of sparking apple cider and made nice toast to me.

• Gamb

Congrats iko for so finishing Taxol!!!!! Next Thursday for me

• Patty66

ik0106,

Oh, I did not even know what Herceptin was...

So congratulations from me, too, on ending the chemo!!! Hopefully, Herceptin is easy pickings now!

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

Congratulations ik0106!!!

• Gamb

Hey all, did anyone do any kind of detox after the end of chemo? If so what did you do?

• Brilee76

Congrats ik0106!

No detox for me. My MO said that as long as my liver and kidneys are healthy my body detoxes itself.