Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

Marilyn -

I think the Fatigue side effects of treatment are WAY understated. I know when I told people I was worn down, they were like "you can take a nap". They don't get that it goes way beyond that.

Thinking of you

Tracy

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69

Congratulations Angie! I had my last chemo today, so I know the feeling. Got my PICC line out and everything. We don't have a bell at our clinic, but I did push an easy button. LOL. Still have to go in every 3 weeks for Herceptin for a year, but am happy to be done with chemo for now. Next up for me is surgery in 4-6 weeks. Doctor thinks I may be recommended to do more chemo after surgery, but it would be a tamer one. We shall see.

I can't wait until my hair starts coming back. Will probably loose my eyebrows and eyelashes still though, as they are still.there but mighty thin.

Wishing you all good health and few side effects. 😊

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Congrats Ange!!!!!! Way to go

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

Congratulations Ange!! So glad you got the heavy duty chemo done!!!!!!!

• tmh0921

Congratulations Ange!!!

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

Congratulations Ange!!! 🥳

• Brilee76

Your Friday update! 6 weeks PFC:

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

Congratulations, Ange!!!

Snaffle - the fatigue has hit me hard this time. I could’ve stayed in bed all day but I’m at work trying to get back in the swing of things (I’ve been off since Christmas).

Bridget - the hair growth is awesome!!

• lms458412

Hair growth is looking good, Bridget!

This is me, 8 weeks PFC:

Not growing super fast, but progress is happening, so I'm happy!

• tmh0921

Here's my 8 weeks PFC hair growth

Side

side

Back

Armpit and leg hair is also returning. My brows and eye lashes have stopped falling out, waiting on them to regrow.

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45

HI SUPERHEROINES,

A week and a day PFC. Side effects taking turns at trying to discourage me but when I went out with the family yesterday, a beautiful feeling of relief hit me. The worst is over! And all of us are there or almost there...

If I may mention this: please keep your thoughts positive. Believing in our power within and the mind-body connection to heal ourselves and beat this for good is so important (my thinking anyway).

Have a great weekend

• Gamb

Ladies your hair regrowth is amazing. Looks like we will have lots of pixies for spring.

• angieb92

I am loving these hair growth pictures!!!

Gamb - we may need to change our club name to the pixie sisters!!

Patty - I agree with you 100%! My side effects are doing their usual mind games with me but this is the last time they will bother us! Onward and upward!

I hope you all have a great Saturday!

• angieb92

I just got a call about my MRI. I have mixed feelings because I don’t really understand it all. The doctor said there was cancer still there but it was lighting up a lot less than the initial MRI.

I had specks lighting up around my initial tumor and another spot on the opposite side of my breast that they never biopsies because I was having a double mastectomy and chemo. To know it’s not lighting up as much seems to be positive. But that it’s still there is worrisome.

My initial tumor has reduced from about 1.4x1.2 to 1.2x1.0. They call it a partial response. I had a feeling I wouldn’t achieve pcr by surgery because most triple positives don’t. I’m encouraged that the cancer is at least lessening but I wish they would use terms like “this is great!”

I guess I need to get in touch with my onco and see what he thinks. Sigh.....

• tmh0921

Angie

What they’re seeing on MRI may not all be “active” tumor, it could be some scaring and dead tumor in there as well. There could also be a DCIS component, which is less worrisome, but they won’t be able to tell until surgery. When is your surgery scheduled for?

Thinking of you

Tracy

• Gamb

Angie sending you lots of hugs and hoping the best for you and all of us.

• angieb92

Thanks Tracy and Gamb!! I’ve done a bit more research and feel a bit better about it all.

My surgery is scheduled for 2/13/20.

I had to remind myself that they can get it all at surgery! Hope is definitely not lost!

• lms458412

Hugs Angie!

• BlueCoconut
    BlueCoconut Member Posts: 12

Ardell Magnetic Lashes and Liner - thes are really great lashes. They're about $15, but they're easy to use, look natural, and stay in place for hours. Now, I have lashes that naturally curl upwards, so they may be easier for me to use than for others. As soon as I can, I'll put mine on and post a pic, but yesterday and today I have non-stop eye and nose leaking so I can't put them on.

I'm one week and one day PFC. I've suffered from nearly non-stop diarrhea the whole 3.5 months and this time seems to be even worse instead of any better. I'm taking two anti-diarrheals around the clock and I might as well be using tic-tacs for all the good it does. My mouth is so dry from the dehydration, and I have muscle twitching all over, constantly, from my low magnesium. I'm crying-angry because I WANT THIS TO END ALREADY. I went to Office Depot and had to use the little drive-cart thing because my BP goes so low when I'm standing that even being in there 10 min was too much for me. This also means another afternoon in oncology getting labs and fluids Monday or Tuesday.

I now have a surgery date of 1/28. I was going to try to go back to work at least part time the third week after surgery because I'm so freaked about losing income, but I talked about it with my sister today and decided I'm going to take the full four weeks off. Bills may be late and I may have to ask people for help or start a Go Fund Me, but I deserve 4 full weeks of rest and recovery after all this.

• Patty66

Dear Angie,

Don’t be discouraged! Crossing my fingers that this is all great and perfect news.

My last mammo showed similar results: mean tumor reduced by about half, the other one still hanging about, somewhat reduced but there nonetheless. As we have surgery coming our wsy, I think it will all be okay. Please keep us updated on your onco’s response

• tmh0921

BlueCoconut

I'm not a stay at home person... I love to work. I had grand plans of taking one week off and the. Working remote for a week and going back to the office after 2 weeks. I ended up taking 3 full weeks off, only occasionally checking in. My body definitely appreciated the down time (though I was definitely stir crazy at the end).

If ever there was a time to put your first and take the time you need, this is it.

Hugs

Tracy

Edited to add that I had a BMX, left side lymph node removal, left side latissimus Dorsi flap, and tissue expanders placed bi-laterally. I have a second surgery coming up in the next few months to exchange tissue expanders for implants. I'll have to take another leave for that surgery but it should be shorter

• Brilee76

Prayin for you Angie! I also feel overwhelmed by the information and test results I've gotten. My oncologist has been very good at explaining what everything means, what she recommends and why. My PS frustrates me because he isn't the same.

BlueCoconut, I'm sorry to hear about the issues. I also had a lot of digestive tract issues. I took 3 full weeks off work after my surgery and went back half days for about 3 more weeks after that. Thanks for the info on the lashes. :) My daughter gave me a pair for Christmas but not those. I still haven't tried them but I want to.

• angieb92

Ladies, I don’t know what I would do without you!! Thank you for talking me down from the ledge. I know a lot of my problem is that I’m 5 days PFC and my side effects totally make me less confident.

I sent a message to my onco so I will let you know what he says.

BlueCoconut - thanks for the info on the lashes! I still have some but I feel like they’re on borrowed time so I will definitely be looking for those lashes. I’m know what you’re talking about with the diarrhea and twitching. So irritating but it will be done soon! As far as work goes, take the time you need to recover. I agree with Tracy - if there is ever a time to put yourself first, it’s now! Bills can wait

I was prescribed potassium pills and boy if I can’t take those! Yuck!!!! I even tried grinding them up and putting them in my oatmeal but that didn’t work. I found I can drink 2 cans of V8 and get the same potassium so that’s what I’m doing.

• Patty66

Blue Coconut,

About the lashes: is the eyeliner black that has to be applied first? I usually only use mascara and am not a hero with eyeliner. Will a rookie like me be able to use these?

• Brilee76

So this is new. Looks like my nails are separating from the nail bed.

• angieb92

Yikes Bridget! Does it hurt

• Brilee76

It doesn't hurt at all. My nails felt strange throughout my chemo treatments and my oncologist said they could fall off. I guess I hoped I'd avoid that.

• angieb92

I’m glad they don’t hurt. I hope they get better soon

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180

Good afternoon Ladies, hope all is well, I have been keeping up just haven’t been posting, side effects have been awful!!! Had to have blood, 30lb weight lose, eyes watering and twitching, oh well I’m alive, my last chemo tomorrow, think I will still be doing Herceptin and perjeta until September, waiting on surgery schedule, I’m hanging in there, hugs and positive vibes

Brilee keep those nails cut short, you don’t want to take a chance on getting the ripped off,

Almost finished!!!

• lms458412

Yikes Bridget! I had heard that was a possibility, and one of my biggest fears. Good to know they don't hurt (in case it happens to me).