Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256

Thanks Monkey 0299. - yikes grey hair. That’s what I’m scared of. But at least it’s hair! But one step at a time I guess.

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

Hi Eigna! :) My hair was 75% grey on top and 25% grey on the sides and back before chemo. Looks like it's coming back more grey than before. Im okay with that though. :)

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Hey all, third day walking 20 minutes on treadmill and it felt good today. The first day I barely made the 20 minutes. I hope to increase the speed a little each week until I'm back to where I was, this is gonna take a while to build back up to where i was before

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256

That’s great Gamb. Have you been working out during chemo as well. I’m doing chemo now but when there’s days I feel good I try to do some treadmill. Today I did 15 minutes. I usually do 30 minutes. Not bad for a stay. We have to keep on moving.

• Gamb

Eigna I walked at least a mile everyday during chemo, some days it was a struggle to walk because I was exhausted. I'm also doing light weights, building back arm strength slowly

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

gamb - glad to see your endurance is improving.

I started my diet yesterday, I’m trying to remove as much processed food as possible and I’m doing intermittent fasting. I’ll start walking this week when the rain lets up.

• Juniebird
    Juniebird Member Posts: 5

Hi All,

I haven't posted much, but I've been reading lots, love seeing the "done" posts! I had my last chemo treatment today, can't believe it's been 18 weeks since I started...well, actually 19 weeks, I had to skip one week and get a blood transfusion instead because my counts were so low.

I've been working out this whole time, just not quite as much as before, but I definitely feel better when I do. I also diid Dignicap and kept most of my hair. So glad to be done with THAT, even though I'll go back every three weeks for HP, no cold cap (or iced feet and hands, woo hoo).

Next up for me is surgery in February.

I hope everyone is finishing up and healing - this is a strong group!

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

imageI'm two weeks PFC and this is the hair that was left. I'm so ready for the blank spots to fill in!

Congratulations on last treatment, Juniebird!!! 🎉

• tmh0921

Congratulations on your last chemo Juniebird!! 🎉🎉🎉

• Gamb

Congrats Junebird!!!

• Brilee76

Congratulations Juniebird!!

Love the hair update, Angie!

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

Congrats on finishing TC, Juniebird!!!

Thanks for the hair update, Angie! You kept a decent amount of hair. Sending you lots of hair growing vibes!!!!

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45

Hi Ladies,

All that hair coming in! This is great and very encouraging for the no-hair-back-yet crowd... (I am definitely part of that group)

So sorry to hear about the bad SEs and delays some of us now have to deal with. Please keep your chins up and keep fighting. This will also pass.

Hugs & good healing vibes to all.

• Gamb

Hey all, in 2018 I had a total hysterectomy and since then I have had vaginal dryness. I use replens and it is ok, but it leaves a white chunky discharge that supposed to go away after continued use but it hasn't, My mo recommended HyaloGyn you can't buy in stores need to order it, so I am gonna to order it and try it out. I thought i would pass along the info, it's hormone free. Ota a vaginal moisturizer/ lubricant

• Brilee76

Thanks for the info Gamb. I have my hysterectomy surgery on Monday.

• angieb92

Thanks, Gamb!!

• Monkey0299
    Monkey0299 Member Posts: 28

Congrats, Juniebird!

I finally saw my MO today 9 weeks PFC. We discussed the possibility of me being part of the NATALEE study. Curious if anyone else has the opportunity to participate and what their thoughts are.

Also, what have your MOs said about alcohol and soy consumption? Mine said dietary soy is fine and no more than one drink a day (which seems like a lot from the studies I’ve read.)

He also suggested trying Glucosamine for continuing joint pain. The joint pain has been kind of a downer, so I’m happy to try that in addition to the fish oil someone on here recommended. Hoping for some relief soon, as I start AIs tomorrow (got my first injection today.)

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Jodi

• lms458412

Hair growth update - 10 week PFC:

It's starting to fill in more. Eyebrows are growing nicely, too! I had to pluck 3 chin hairs yesterday! LOL

• lms458412

Jodi - My oncologist looked into one study that is starting a new phase, but I'm not sure which one. She told me today that I didn't qualify because I'm an earlier stage than they were looking for.

Mine hasn't said anything about soy, but then again, I've never eaten much of it. She said alcohol was fine occasionally. I've never been a big drinker either, so I stick with one drink a week maximum.

• Brilee76

Love the hair update, LMS! I woulda been cool with the chin and upper lip hair staying gone. lol

• tmh0921

Leah - Love the hair growth! Too bad our head hair couldn't grow back and our leg, armpit, chin, etc. hairs couldn't just stay away LOL

Jodi - I'll be interested in updates if you join the Natallee study. I looked at it, but don't qualify since I've previously taken Tamoxifen (and am currently taking it again)

• Monkey0299

Leah, wow!!! That looks great. Mine looks so different. Like Einstein 😳. Plus my eyebrows and eyelashes are still falling out. WTH?! I need that to stop as I am 9 weeks PFC

I asked about soy bc I'm a vegetarian. I also don't drink much but was curious if they were advising no alcohol vs minimal alcohol.

TMH, I was supposed to start tamoxifen yesterday, but instead, started injections and AI so that I could have the option to be in the study. Although I have to do the injections monthly for 2-3 years, I think I would rather be on an AI if I’m able to tolerate it. Did you decide against AIs for any particular reason? The injections will certainly be a huge inconvenience and I would need to have zometa infusions every 6 months. Just trying to sort out if it is worth it.

Jodi

• angieb92

LMS - love the hair growth!!!

• tmh0921

10 weeks PFC

Side

Back

• Floridaliving18
    Floridaliving18 Member Posts: 52

Hi,

So happy for all finished with chemo and Tracey hair growth. Finished 4 months of chemo And 1 more month to go. I might be one of the last one taking chemo from September.

Taxol gave me neuropathy in my hands had to take a week off. still achey but hands subsided some. Holidays seemed exhausting to get through each day. but thankful for some taste buds and many blessings.

Prayers to all for recovery from surgeries to come and treatments. To a healthy 2020 for everyone.

• tmh0921

Jodi

I was diagnosed the first time in 1999 and took Tamoxifen. I started taking it again in 2016 after having a biopsy that came back pre-cancerous, and was taking it when I was diagnosed this time (scary). I started Zoladex injections in December and restarted Tamoxifen because my hormone levels don't indicate I'm fully in menopause yet. We're testing my hormone levels again this month and if they're where they need to be I'll be switching to an AI. My MO agrees that tamoxifen failed for me, but she wanted me on something until I can switch to the AI.

Tracy

**^Wanted to add that I was 27 when Dx the first time, and they had no idea how to treat me. That was before AIs were a standard treatment, or when ovarian suppression plus AI was offered women who hadn’t reached menopause naturally.

• lms458412

Fantastic hair growth, Tracy!!!

Floridaliving - we still need to meet up! Send me a private message if you want to meet and when you're available. No rush, we're both still dealing with a lot right now, but it would be cool to say hi!!

• Monkey0299

Tracy, Great hair growth! Fingers crossed your hormone levels will allow for AI. I will be doing the zoladex injections monthly for at least 2 years to do the AI. I just took my first one, and I’m feeling nervous about the side effects.

Brilee, Good luck with your surgery. I hope your recuperation is quick and easy!

I will thankfully be down in the Florida warmth next month as I’m taking my daughter to see UCF and USF. I did not appreciate Florida enough when I grew up there. Boston is freezing right now. You Florida ladies are lucky!

Jodi

• Brilee76

Lookin good Tracy!

Thanks Monkey!

• tmh0921

Bridget

I hope your surgery goes well Monday, we’ll be thinking of you.

Tracy