Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

Hugs, Maggie007! It sounds like you've been having a rough go of it. I'll be praying for you tomorrow - last one!!!!!!! I hope it goes smoothly and those side effects go away soon.

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

Maggie!! Great news about your last treatment tomorrow!! I will be thinking of you

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

Hang in there Maggie! You're almost there. I'll keep these nails trimmed. ;)

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

Bridget - Yikes! I agree with Maggie, cut them shorter so they don't snag on anything and come off.

Maggie - Hang in there, we're thinking of you. Congrats on tomorrow being your last chemo. I hope your side effects are much improved after this.

Hugs

Tracy

• tmh0921

8 weeks PFC, 1 week post Zoladex # 2, and 1 month of Tamoxifen

Hair - growing in nicely

Weight - OMG - I'm up 25 pounds since first chemo. I'm starting a diet this week along with more walking.

Neuropathy - Started taking a prenatal vitamin several weeks ago that has high levels of various vitamin B. This helped a lot of the numbness/tingling in my fingers and toes, and with the periodic burning on the bottoms of my feet.

Joint Aches (From Tamoxifen) - MO suggested fish oil to help with this SE, I was skeptical. I started taking 1000mg of Krill Oil with DHA and EPA last week after my MO visit. I am shocked but while my aches aren't completely gone, they have improved to the point that I'm not stiff and gimpy in the mornings or going up and down stairs. It definitely helps.

Hot Flashes (From Chemo, Zoladex, and/or Tamoxifen) - These have stabilized. I still get them, but less frequently and less severe. I swear for a while I felt like I had my own internal oven!

Tracy

• lms458412

Great update, Tracy! Glad to hear your neuropathy, hot flashes and joint aches are lessening!

I'll post a similar type of update soon. Right now I need some green tea and deep breathing. I finally found a radiology oncologist I like and trust and agreed to do a short course of radiation....and my insurance denied it. UGH.

So, I'm in limbo...no radiation is happening anytime soon, and I'm not on hormonal therapy, so I'm feeling a bit...vulnerable....frustrated....

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256

Hello September chemo warriors, I have a question for you. I’m doing chemo now ( started in December) and my hair started falling so I shaved it off. My scalp is very sensitive to the touch. How long does this phase last and what kind of hair products is recommended to use now? I heard it’s better to stick to organic shampoo. Should I massage my scalp? Any advice is welcomed. Thank you 🙏.

• tmh0921

Einga

The sore scalp shouldn’t last much longer if you shaved your head, the soreness is really from the weight of the hair pulling on the injured follicles.

I didn’t do anything special to my scalp until after my last chemo, then I washed/massaged it with tea tree shampoo. I have also been massaging avacado oil into my scalp several times a week. I’ve heard of people using coconut oil, caster oil, avacado oil, etc. I think it’s the combination of oil and scalp massage that’s supposed to help. I’m not sure if it does or not, but it can’t hurt and it feels good.

I hop you’re tolerating chemo well

Tracy

• tmh0921

Leah

I hope your doctor files an appeal and you get out of limbo soon, how frustrating.

Hugs

Tracy

• angieb92

Hi Eigna!

I didn’t shave my head but cut my hair to about an inch. I still have a little of it. I would notice my scalp getting sore around Day 7 after treatment and last for a day or so. The more treatments I had (6 in all) the less it hurt.

I used Johnson’s Baby Shampoo and massaged coconut oil on my scalp. Now that I’m done with treatment I use a biotin shampoo and conditioner.

Good luck with your treatments!!

• Eigna

Thank you TMH0921 and Angie for replying so quickly. These oils avocado oil, castor oil, coconut oil etc where do you buy them? I’ve never looked for them but I am wondering if I can find them at a normal pharmacy or I need to go to a natural health store..

• tmh0921

Eigna

Are you in the US? If so, you can get them at the grocery store. I found all but castor oil near the olive oil, sometimes the coconut oil is in the organic section if its not with the others.

Tracy

• Eigna

No I’m not in the US but I will definitely check out at the grocery store and the organic section. I’m in Canada.

• angieb92

I found my coconut oil at WalMart. It’s with the rest of the oils and flour.

• angieb92

Maggie - Happy Last Chemo Treatment Day!!!

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Congrats Maggie on the last chemo!!!! I hope the others will be more kinder to you .

• lms458412

Thinking of you today, Maggie007!!!!

Eigna - I was late to hair loss/shaving because I was trying to cold cap, but it didn't work out for me. Once I started losing hair, I cut it short, then later, I shaved it. I should have just shaved it from the start, because the scalp sensitivity went away shortly after shaving it.

I still had some crusty stuff/rash on my head for awhile, so I alternated between Nizoral medicated shampoo and a natural coconut shampoo (no parabens, sulfates, phthalates, perfumes, etc.).

Now that my scalp is healed, I am just using the natural shampoo. My husband washes my head for me and gives me a nice long scalp massage a few times a week. I also put castor oil or coconut oil on my scalp a few times a week as well. I got the shampoo and oils online (Amazon or Vitacost), but you can definitely get coconut oil from any grocery store. It's near the olive oil and vinegar in my store!

• angieb92

I just received a message from my oncologist’s nurse about my MRI. He said not to worry about it and that they would see what the pathology says at surgery. That makes me feel better!

• lms458412

Here's my update:

8 and a half weeks PFC

I am currently holding for insurance approval on radiation. My RO requested 16 fractions of IGRT, but my insurance won't approve the use of the CT scanner. So, twiddling thumbs! Hormonal therapy is on hold until after radiation, but I really would rather get started now, so I'm calling my MO to see if we can do them concurrently.

Hair - It's growing really well now. It started a bit slow, but it's coming in great now! Mostly dark hair with some grey. My eyebrows are growing as well, although the hairs are thin and not as dark as before. I also have a few eyelashes sprouting. I have stubble on my legs and crotch now, too.

Weight - I gained 6 pounds during chemo. I didn't have nausea or vomiting, but I spent a lot of time in bed or on the sofa and ate too much ice cream 'cause sweet stuff is what tasted good! I have a rebounder now and trying to find the right gym to join. I walk 4-5 times a week.

Neuropathy - I don't feel any numbness or tingling in my fingers/hands, but feel a bit more clumsy than before, mainly with manipulating small things. My feet/toes have had some mild numbness/tingling, but that has improved bit by bit. I'd say it's about 15% of what it was the week after my last chemo.

Aches and Pains - I had really bad bone pain from the Neulasta. That was gone at about 3 weeks PFC, but was replaced with achy joints. I mainly feel it when I wake up in the morning, or if I sit or stand in one place too long. It's mild and tolerable.

Hot Flashes/Night Sweats - I had these so often during treatment. I'm still having them, but much less often, only a few times a day now.

Other Side Effects - Fatigue is almost gone. I still don't have as much energy as before, but it's coming back bit by bit. I can do most of my normal stuff again. Taste buds work okay, although now I'm loving spicy foods when I didn't before. Huh? Weird. Appetite is fine. I'm sleeping pretty well. Leg and foot swelling is gone.

All in all, I'm doing alright.

• Gamb

Hey all, I am 3 weeks pfc. The joint and muscle pain has gone all except what I had pre cancer, arthritis pain. I will see my MO this Thursday for blood work. My hair is starting to return, but my hair always grew slow, so I am hoping I will have enough by spring to keep from wearing a hat, As for me there's is no scans no hormone treatment just hyper awareness if i feel anything pain or lumps then drs will do waht tests are needed. So at times i am grateful for having to do nothing else, but also fearful I might miss a sign of the cancer returning. I'm glad to read everyones progress. Onward and upward.

• angieb92

LMS and Gamb - great updates!! You give us all something to look forward to!

LMS - hope you get approved for the radiation and can get on the hormone therapy quick

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180

Finished TC, YES!!! Great therapy session, love my therapist, actually love the whole team, next Tuesday I have blood infusion, in 3 weeks infusion will be Herceptin and Perjeta every 3 weeks until September, unless final pathology comes back with residual cells, I’m praying for complete response, but if not I will be doing K can’t think of the name, every 3 weeks until September, surgery is being scheduled now, no date yet but we have a 4 week time line, having a double mastectomy no reconstruction, feeling so much better mentally, I can deal with the side effects this goaround, I didn’t celebrate or ring the bell, just didn’t feel right, I will have a celebration in September, I love to host a party for all in my team, plenty of time to plan it, I still have a lot of unknown, no scans, mris, so we will see final path will tell the story!!

Hugs and positive vibes

Will update surgery plan as soon as I know It

Love this group

Linda

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69

Wooo Hooo Linda! Congrats on getting chemo done.

I got my surgery date yesterday...January 30. I'd be lying if I said I'm not scared shitless. I've never had a surgery, or been close to someone who has so I'm freaking out. I know it has to be done and it's a way to get the cancer out but I'm still struggling. I want to enjoy every day, but I also want to sleep all day and avoid it all. Sorry to be such a downer, just having a tough few days.

I hope you are all doing well. 😊

• Gamb

Ange you have every right to feel the way you do, I was very frightened of my mastectomy surgery also and maybe depressed at the time. My surgeon was wonderful tho and she tried her best to ease my fears. The camisole that the hospital gave me after surgery was horrible. The material was very itchy, so if I had to pick info to give you it would be to get one that is comfortable and soft and with pockets. I had very little pain after my surgery, but I had extreme itching while healing and nothing helped to clam the itch. You will do great

• Del13

Yes Ange it is, you can and will get through this, our group has come so far, game plan is to get our bodies ready for surgery, met a wonderful Lady today who just finished up chemo, I told her this journey has changed me I will never be the same, she agreed, I hope to be a better person, her words YES me too,

I need to play the lottery and win big, I would use the winnings to take all of Us to a tropical island all inclusive, only girls sorry no husbands, We need to have some fun,,, I can promise! you will have fun!!! I love to dream, but if y’all got some good numbers, a date to play, and will go I will play it lol

HUGS

Linda

• tmh0921

YAY Maggie! No more TC. Hoping for a smooth surgery and recovery for you.

Tracy

• tmh0921

Hugs Ange

Hoping for peace and a smooth surgery for you

Tracy

• tmh0921

Maggie

I have my Power Ball tickets..... if I win, I’ll share. A tropical escape sounds wonderful.

Tracy

• Del13

Gamb that’s good to know, I’m wondering how it’s going to be under my arm pit, I will have lymph node removal not sure how many will be taken, could be a few or a bunch, I think my surgeon will use glue as she did with port, so no stitches, I maybe dreaming that, lol, I’m wondering about soft cotton or silk cami,

• angieb92

Yay Linda!!!!!! I’m down for a tropical vacay with you warriors! I think you’re talking about Kadcyla. My MO mentioned it to me as a possibility if all the cancer isn’t dead by surgery. I’ve already researched it and the SEs seem a lot better than TCHP

Ange - I’m nervous too but surgery is another tool in our arsenal. I keep trying to imagine the feeling that the diseased breast tissue will be gone. How mentally relieved I will be.