Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256

Thank you LMH and TMS for posting thes pics after 10 weeks post chemo. It’s encouraging for someone who is going through chemo right now. There is light at the end of the tunnel! Do you wear wigs when in public or not anymore. I’m just wondering when I will ditch my wig when I get there..

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

With the exception of when my hair first fell out and I was getting used to it, I've only been wearing my wig to work. If I'm at home I usually go with no head covering unless I'm cold, and if I go out I just wear a beanie/snood cap. I found wigs to be itchy and hot, and just not comfortable.

I'm not sure at what point I'll ditch all head coverings, as the hair grows I'll see what I'm comfortable with. I've always had long hair, so it may be a while LOL

Tracy

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

Friday update! 8 weeks PFC: I was officially told by my oncologist today that I am a survivor/in remission.

Thanks Tracy!

• tmh0921

Yay Bridget, it's nice to hear those words from the MO! Your hair is coming in nicely!

I had my first tissue expander fill of the year today. Looks like I'll finish the fills by end of February, then I'll be having surgery to remove the expanders and put in implants, as well as touch up scars. My PS has assured me that this surgery is minor compared to last year's Mastectomy, Latissimus Dorsi Flap, and Lymph Node Removal. It will be an outpatient surgery. I'm looking forward to having this phase complete and moving on to "maintenance" with ongoing Zoladex and Tamoxifen or AI.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Tracy

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Brilee, I bet that was music to your ears, so happy for you.

Everyone's hair looks fantastic. I'm 4 weeks pfc and have very little hair. What hair I do have is sticking up, like I've been electrocuted...lol.

Brilee my hysterectomy was laparoscopic/vaginal, I had 3 cuts into my abdomen, then everything came out thru the vagina. Prayer for yours to go well and recovery is good.

• Floridaliving18
    Floridaliving18 Member Posts: 52

Hi Leah,

I would love to meet up in a week or so.. I will try to email you and let me know if you get it..

Thanks,

Christi

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

I got your message, Christi! I sent one back with my contact info.

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

Bridget - what sweet words!!! Good news to carry you through your surgery Monday!!

I can’t tell you all how much so love the hair updates!

• lms458412

Jodi - I'm tired of the Florida warmth. It was 82 degrees yesterday! I'll switch cities with you for awhile! LOL! I love the cold and snow. I'm sure you and your daughter will be super busy on your college tours, but if you have any extra time and want to try to meet up, let me know. I live about 15 minutes from UCF.

Bridget - I'll be praying for you on Monday - for a quick and smooth surgery and recovery! Great hair pics - it's really growing! Congrats on being in remission! I won't get to hear my official status until after my scans in March or April. UGH.

Eigna - I only ended up getting a halo wig, which I have worn about a dozen times with a hat. I never got a full wig. I just wear a snood or cap when I'm out. I go without anything when I'm at home. I'm kind of glad I did because I live in Florida where it's hot even in winter, and now that my hair is growing, I'm almost ready to ditch the caps!

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107

Hoping your surgery goes well, Bridgit.

As for me, I suppose it’s official. I’m done with chemo!! We stopped two treatments short of what was planned because of pretty bad neuropathy in my hands and feet. So the end of chemo just kind of fizzled. I’m ok with that because my response to chemo has been very effective. The cancerous lymph nodes can.no longer be palpated.

So, it’s on to the next phase. Surgery. My appointment with the breast surgeon is 1/29. I’m planning on a DMX. I hope the surgeon agrees with my wishes.

Marilyn

• tmh0921

Marilyn

Congratulations on the end of chemo!!!

I hope your surgery goes well, if your surgeon doesn’t agree with a DMX, see another surgeon who will. You’ve got this and we’re cheering you on

Tracy

• Monkey0299
    Monkey0299 Member Posts: 28

Snaffle, sorry about the SEs but congrats on being finished with chemo.

LMS, I wish we could visit. Nice to put a face to the screen names. We have family visits in both Orlando and Tampa in addition to the tours. I wish we could have extended the trip for my own personal need for sunshine, but it will be February vacation week here in Mass., so the airlines jack up the fares.

Eigna, I was very lucky that my parents bought me a really nice wig. It is not itchy, and I wear it all the time. My hair was very long too so I imagine I’ll be wearing it until someone agrees my hair is long enough to try extensions. That’s my plan at least.

Bridget and LMS, very jealous you get to hear those words. Mass General doesn’t do scans unless you have a specific concern so you just have to hope you are cancer-free. At my MO appt Wednesday, instead of hearing I was cancer-free, I was told by my MO that we were aggressive, but there are no guarantee they got everything. I have to admit it was pretty upsetting to hear those words.

I am already having problems with my implants (lateral displacement) so will be having surgery with a new PS March 3 to try to fix the issue and get smaller implants. 🤞🏻🤞🏻 Hoping it helps bc it is super uncomfortable.

Tracy, like you, my PS assured me this surgery would be much less invasive. I am more than ready to move on. Our poor bodies have been through and continue to go through so much. It’s mind boggling to me.

• lms458412

Jodi - I totally understand. But, the invitation is open if you are ever down here in Central Florida again and would like to meet up for coffee. Same goes for everyone here!

• angieb92

Thinking of you today, Bridget! Hope the surgery goes well

• tmh0921

Wishing you a smooth recovery Bridget

Tracy

• Brilee76

Thanks ladies! Waiting for anesthesia.

• Gamb

Brilee, prayers for speedy revovery!!!!

• lms458412

Hope today goes smoothly, Bridget, and you'll be feeling better very soon!!!!!!!!!

• Brilee76

Made it through! I came home around 5 pm yesterday. This surgery was nowhere near as bad as the mastectomies. No drains!! That's the first thing my boyfriend asked, whether or not I had drains. lol He helped me a lot with those. I'm pretty sore. I feel great as long as I'm laying down. Sitting and standing up is slow going. I hope you ladies are doin well! Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers. <3

• Gamb

Brilee, glad you are home and doing well.

• eveldon
    eveldon Member Posts: 31

Well ladies I think I am bringing up the rear. Started 9/10 and got my final taxol today!! Just got home. Feel good right now. Managed to get every dose on time with no delays. Surgery is 2./10 for an ALND and a prophylactic on the non cancer side. Glad to be joining everyone in the done club Heart

• Gamb

eveldon congratulations!!!!!!!! We all are some tough women.

• eveldon

Thanks Gamb! I agree. I honestly cannot believe I finished them all. There were many weeks when I was ready to quit. My MO said I could skip the last one but I didn't want to have any regrets.

• Brilee76

Congratulations eveldon! 🥳

• tmh0921

Congratulations on finishing chemo eveldon!!! 🎉🎉🎉

• tmh0921

I’m so proud of all of us! We’ve made it through chemo! I know we’re not done with our journeys as there are surgeries, endocrine/hormonal therapies, radiation, etc. but we have proven we can do this despite the obstacles.

Hugs to all of us

Tracy.

• angieb92

Congratulations eveldon!!!!

Bridget, so glad to hear you are doing well!

I had my first Herceptin only infusion today. Not bad so far. I did get news that my surgery had been moved to 3/3. I’m ready to get it done but not too disappointed. There was a conflict in scheduling between the BS and PS. It just gives me more time to order the stuff I need.

I agree that we are all amazing women! And I hope we continue to keep in contact long after we are done with everything

• eveldon

Thank you everyone! Feel like it has been forever since we all started. Looking forward to a healthy, cancer free 2020!

• Floridaliving18
    Floridaliving18 Member Posts: 52

Hi

Prayers to everyone still on chemo you will get through this. Also praying for everyone recovering from surgery.

I finished 4 months of chemo this week and my 9 round of taxol yesterday getting so close only 3 weeks left. My hair is starting to grow yippee. My neuropathy subsided taking a week off chemo. now it comes and goes. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

This page has been so helpful. could not post a lot with this chemo head. but you all made me laugh and good info.

Blessings to all for a good week.

Christi

• tmh0921

11 weeks PFC. The hair on the top of my head has, for the most part, stuck straight up until this week. It's long enough now that it's laying down. I'm still wearing my wig to work and beanies/snoods everywhere else

Side

Back