Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Options

Comments

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    Options

Happy Fourth of July to every one, one year ago today I was diagnosed with breast cancer, shattered my life, still picking up pieces, but they are becoming fewer. I find i do apprectiacte the things in life more and I too am concerned for every pain I have...lol I hope that really does lessen with time.

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

Hi all! Sorry I've been MIA for a little while. My father-in-law passed away unexpectedly and we've had to help my mother-in-law with a lot of things while dealing with our own sadness. It's been a rough few weeks, but we're doing alright now.

So great to see pictures and read updates.

Tracy - Great to see lots of hair growth! I do curcumin, fish oil, and Claritin for my joint aches, and that seems to work pretty well (I'm on anastrazole). Wishing you an easy and successful exchange surgery next week. :)

Linda - Good to see your smiling face and the wonderful family pic!

Patty - Thank for sharing your beautiful mandala. The colors are amazing.

Gamb - I've been doing some shopping lately, trying to find clothes to fit my new body. I wore lots of grays and blacks before, now I'm trying to find lots of color. I am getting rid of all my post-surgery/chemo clothes. Time for a fresh start.

Bridget - Congrats on your new home!!!!!!!!!!!

Angie - You look fantastic! Love your hair. I need to get mine trimmed soon. It's very close to the Bozo style now. Ugh.

Ange - Your update made me smile. I love hearing how content you are. It gives me hope that I will get there soon, too.

Eveldon - Pretty view! Enjoy your peaceful hideout!

I am okay. I'm getting a little depressed about staying home for months on end. We finally did break our quarantine to help my mother-in-law and see family - my husband also got to go to the hospital to say goodbye to his dad. We've gotten takeout a few times and went to the garden center to get supplies, plus one mini golf excursion on a pretty day, since my kid is getting antsy being at home so much, but that's about it. We just sit at home. I have been eating too much and exercising too little. I'm back up to the weight I was when I was diagnosed. So now I have 15 pounds to lose. Feels daunting. I feel pretty good overall, except for some achy joints and very sensitive skin and nerves around my incisions/radiated area/numb area. I was hoping to get my dog ears removed in August, but that may not happen due to Covid. Hoping it'll get done sometime this year. I'm just trying to get myself motivated to stick to healthy eating, exercise 5 days a week, and find a hobby other than playing Minecraft with my kid to get me through the rest of the year. Wish me luck! I need it! LOL!

• Gamb
    Options

LMS, my condolences for your father in law, glad your husband got to say good bye. We all have come so far and yet at times for me it seems only yesterday. It will come together someday, diet exercise and weight loss, just hope it's before the end of year holidays...lol

So hot here, I only am outside early morning or late evening, sometimes just about to hot then also, I think I have developed a heat intolerance.

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    Options

Gamb - it must be surreal to know you have been on this journey for a year now!! Keep enjoying life’s little things.

Leah - so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Glad your husband got to see him in the hospital. I know what you mean about being house-bound. It is depressing. Thankfully, I returned to my office last week and I have enjoyed just the drive to and from work!

I hope you all had a fun 4th!

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180
    Options

LMS, sorry about your father in-law, Hugs, hope all is well, anyone taken Zometa infusion for osteoporosis? To me it seems that everything Drs do I have to take another drug to repair the damage😳 sending y’all a picture of my drug cabinet!!! Femara is not to BAD, taking a little more Advil,, I’m hot again which is better than freezing!! Love this group😘image

• eveldon
    eveldon Member Posts: 31
    Options

Leah-so sorry for your loss. This year is honestly the worst.

I did one Zometa in April. Literally gave me every symptom--but I felt much better 48 hours later. I am still achy and slow moving in the mornings but I feel better/fine once I get moving. They say the second round is better, I will find out in October.

• LMS458412
    Options

Thank you all. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

• iamloved
    iamloved Member Posts: 197
    Options

Maggie007 Your medicine cabinet is my biggest fear about starting chemotherapy. Where does it end? Will give you this drug to cure this but then will have to give you this drug to cure that and then you may have to live with the side effects that drug. Seriously my biggest fear. At 60 years old I take nothing but supplements from my natural pathic doctor. Pretty sure this is going to be a rude awakening for my body.

• Del13
    Options

Iamloved,, this too shall pass,, I no longer need potassium, magnesium, woo hoo,, damn horse pills,, lol, we will get there, some days, I think we’ll I’m so not sure, but it will all be ok, I absolutely refuse to live with the what if’s and fear, it’s enjoy today as much as I can and live one day at a time, if I don’t feel good well that’s ok too, I have accepted the new me, and in some ways I’m better than the old me, I know sounds crazy,, my goal is to eliminate each one of those bottles,,

Eveldon, thank you!! I have started Claritin again it seems to help with bone pain, hopefully Zometa will be ok, my Dentist says I’m good to go!!

Hugs and Positives Vibes😘 have a great weekend y’all it’s hot in Kentucky!!!

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Leah, I’m so sorry for your loss. Virtual hugs and prayers for peace and comfort.

Maggie, I’m up to 4 regular prescriptions (Celexa, Klonopin, Letrazole, and Zoladex) two are for anxiety, and two are for cancer. The plan is to stop the Zoladex after December, fingers crossed. I do take several supplements daily - curcumin, black pepper extract, krill oil, D3, K2, and CBD oil. The supplements, except the D3 and K2, are all to control the aches from the Letrazole and Zoladex so maybe I can cut back on some of them after December.

I’m happy with my current regimen, my side effects are now manageable and after my exchange surgery next week I’m hoping to be in a good place physically.

Hugs to you all - I’m thinking of you all of the time

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

My exchange surgery went well yesterday. I have 2 drains that will hopefully come out on Monday

Tracy

• Gamb
    Options

TMH I'm so happy for you, glad surgery went well and yay for drains to be removed, you must feel such a relief. We all have traveled so far from last year. Peace and comfort to you and have a blessed weekend every one.

r

• angieb92
    Options

Great news, Tracy!!!

• Del13
    Options

Tracy, great news, take care and listen to your body!!
    hope all is well! Hugs to all

• eveldon
    eveldon Member Posts: 31
    Options

Awesome Tracy! Drains are the worst. Hope they come out quick.

• LMS458412
    Options

Yay Tracy! So glad to hear the good news!

• Gamb
    Options

Hello to all, hope everyone is enjoying this hot humid beautiful weather. I am enjoying it from my house in the ac....lol I had my colonoscopy today it well, gi dr said he will see in in 5 years. The covid virus delayed my test 5 months, this concerns me for people who have cancer or are newly diagnosed, the delay in treatments could be costly for some. This time last year i was in a very dark place and was there for a good 4 months. I'm so glad i found this group to go thru this horrible disease with. God bless you all.

• tmh0921
    Options

gamb

I’m glad you were able to get your colonoscopy and had good results. I too worry about delays those in the diagnosis or treatment phases may be experiencing. A delay can be costly in the cancer world.

I too am so grateful for this group and the support we’ve been for each other

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

I had my 1 week post-op follow up today and everything is healing very well. They removed all of my surgical drains, and I can resume sleeping without the wedge pillow. With the drains gone, I feel normal for the first time since my mastectomies last August (hard to believe it's been almost a year!). No pain, no discomfort, just like my normal body for a change!

I'll still see my oncologist monthly until at least December. In December we are planning on discontinuing my ovarian suppression injections (my hormone levels have remained consistently in the menopause range, so the injection should no longer be needed). At that point I'll just be in maintenance mode with Letrozole for the next 5-10 years, and I'll graduate to quarterly visits with the oncologist.

Oh, and prior to surgery I stopped all of the supplements that I was taking to control the aches and pains caused by Letrozole, with the exception of CBD Oil. I have been able to stay off of them all, the CBD Oil has done wonders and is keeping me relatively aches and pain free!

Life is slowly returning to “normal” ladies.

Hugs to you all

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

Hi everyone

I found out today that my oncologist wants me to have a bone density scan next week. I am assuming this is because of the Letrozole and Zoladex ( the imaging center called, I think my oncologist's nurse forgot to tell me when I went for my Zoladex on Monday). Anyway, have any of you had a bone density scan? What was it like and how long did results take?

I have serious scan anxiety. I had to take 2 of my klonopin tablets for my last mammogram and breast MRI.

Hugs

Tracy

• Gamb
    Options

Hi TMH, bone density scan is similar to ct scan. The one I had I laid on the scanner if i remember correctly, it's been a while since I had one. My surgeon suggested I have another to monitor for osteoporosis. I told her not this year, I hope to have no scans this year, I just want peace, and it is evading me..lol but this scan should be the simpliest one. Best wishes.

• Del13
    Options

TMH I had one,, no big deal, I dohave osteoporosis, I was given Zometa, some bone pain, started back on Claritin, feeling pretty good!!

• tmh0921
    Options

Thank You gamb and Maggie

My scan is on Thursday. I think I'm ok with the scan itself, I'm just scared it'll show something other than osteopenia or osteoporosis. I'm getting back to normal, so I don't want anything to burst my bubble.

Hugs to all

Tracy

• angieb92
    Options

Tracy - fingers crossed for a good scan today!!!

• tmh0921
    Options

Thanks Angie!

As far as scans go, this was definitely the easiest I’ve ever had (except the radiologist being a smarta**). My MO’s nurse called with the results this morning and my bone density is low, so I’ll continue my calcium and D3 supplements until I see her on 8/24 and then I’m sure we’ll discuss bone strengthening therapy. I can deal with that :)

Hugs to all

Tracy

• Gamb
    Options

Tmh, that sounds good, glad you checked in with results, hope you and all the women have a fantastic weekend

• LMS458412
    Options

I'm glad to hear your scan went well, Tracy.

All is well here. I've been staying busy with lots of PTA stuff as we try to get ready for the start of the school year, plus everything that my mother-in-law needs now that she's alone and needs to fix up and sell her house. It's been nonstop busy for weeks. But, the whole family is coming together and we'll get through it and get her settled in a few months.

I saw both my surgeon and my oncologist recently. My surgeon did a physical exam. My oncologist checked my blood work. I have been declared "stable". They've put in for follow-up scans again to see if my insurance will approve them this time. I'm not holding my breath! But, I'm feel pretty good overall, except for irritated nerves where I had surgery/radiation. Clothes rubbing on my skin can be annoying at times. Hopefully that will calm down within a few months.

In November, I will be going in for corrective surgery to remove a "dog ear" on one side - there's too much fat and skin there. Other than that, I just have monthly Zoladex injections for now, my daily anastrazole, and visits with the oncologist every 3 months. My new normal. It's not bad!

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their summer. I'm mostly staying inside because of COVID and the wickedly hot weather we're having here in Central Florida (feels like 100 every day with massive humidity levels). I'm still sending prayers up for all of you, for continued healing and good health and happiness!!!

• Gamb
    Options

Hello everyone my 9 months check up is Monday, seems surreal. Ever since the breast cancer diagnosis I have tried to live for today not pin hopes on tomorrow and I hate that I have to do this but it does help keep me sane. So out of the blue I decided to adopt a kitten, and I did, he is 8 weeks old and his name is Aries he gets along great with my dog., i am trying to teach him that i am not for climbing...lol slow process with lots a minor scratches. One of the questions on the adoption papers was who will take care of him if I become sick, well as in everything I have or do, my oldest son ,only because he lives closer to me, my youngest was smart enough to move far away...lol just kidding. Hope everyone is living their best.

• tmh0921
    Options

Leah

Yay for good follow up visits, I hope your touch up surgery goes well in November.

gamb

I hope your 9 month check up goes well! Congratulations on the new fur baby, animals are therapeutic. I was just thinking earlier today that in a few weeks it'll be the 1 year anniversary of our first chemo treatments. It really doesn't feel like that much time has passed.

My youngest son started 6th grade this week, and my oldest is a high school senior. Our school system has started the year online and plans to phase in in-person learning in a few weeks. My company has extended our work from home until at least January now, I miss going into the office. I also signed up to finish my MBA starting at the end of the month

Hugs to everyone

Tracy

• Gamb
    Options

Tracy school time for you all, that's fantastic, hope everyone stays safe.