Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Options

Comments

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69
    Options

Hi everyone. I hope you're all doing well! I have my first post diagnosis mammogram on Wednesday and I'm super nervous. My one year diagnosis anniversary was yesterday and I posted this on my Facebook, so thought I'd share it here, though I took the swear words out. 🤪 Thank you all for being here during the most challenging year of my life!

Today marks one year since my life took a drastic turn and I was diagnosed with stage 2B breast cancer. Words I never thought I'd hear. Something that always happens to someone else, until it doesn't. Quite the year it's been! I could focus on the crappy parts, as there were many, and at times that's all I could see, but I choose not to. I choose to focus on the positive things, as they far outshine the negatives.

I got top notch, super aggressive treatment that put me into remission, and I continue to get great care and ongoing treatments.

I have an awesome job and great coworkers that encouraged me to focus on my health and not worry about being away from my job, even though it made things more difficult for them.

I had enough sick time to be fully paid while off work for 10 months!

I have paid less than $100 for all my drugs and medications, that would have cost thousands of dollars if not covered. Just the drug I continue to get every 3 weeks, costs $70,000 for a year! 😳

I have awesome family and a few friends who pulled me through the hard times. I had people who would listen to me for hours, just to try to help me feel better.

I had nothing but positive, amazing support from countless doctors, nurses, aides, pharmacists, technologists, and counsellors.

I haven't spent a single penny on haircuts or hair products in over a year. Might need a trim by Christmas.

I figured out who is in my life just for the heck of it and who truly cares about me.

I accidentally lost 50 pounds during chemo. Here's hoping it stays gone. 😁

I found a strength I never knew I had.

I can't believe it's been a year already. In some ways it's rushed by, in other ways it's been the longest year of my life. I am feeling good, back at work full time and enjoying life again.

Let's hope we all have good health and happy times for the coming year. 🥰

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    Options

ange - wonderful words!! I’m so glad you shared.

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180
    Options

Ange, wonderful post, it’s amazing it’s been a year, hope all is well, hugs and positive vibes, so thankful for this group, y’all have been my life line,, 🤗

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

Great post, Ange! I love the positivity!

• angieb92
    Options

It just dawned on me that our group is a year old! One year has passed - or almost passed - since we all started chemo. I hope everyone is doing well and able to move on with the new normal and enjoy life (as much as you can during a pandemic.)

I am almost done with Kadcyla and feel great.

I think about you all often and pray you are all okay! ❤️

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45
    Options

One year later... sporting chemo curls I hope everyone here is doing alright! Thanks for having me in this wonderful group. Life here is back to the normal madness with 3 kids, 3 dogs, my veteran husband and 93 year old Mom. I try to get up every morning with the affirmation that I am safe and the day is mine to live in the best possible way. For the most part I manage not to ever sweat the little stuff anymore and be spontaneous instead of always duty bound. My husband and I recently had our 25th wedding anniversary. What a ride it has been. I wish nothing but happiness for us all - we deserve it!

Love

Pa

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    Options

Hello everyone, fall is just around the corner. I hope everyone is doing great. I have a head full of chemo curls and I'm tired of them...lol gonna get my first hair cut since it all fell out this Friday. I have plenty of aches and pain, and it always crosses my mind is it cancer or normal aging and even sometimes do I want to know. I've spent the summer trying to be good to myself and doings lots of repairs that needed done ages ago. Im ready for a cool down and i am grateful for everyday i get and I'm grateful for all you wonderful women.

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Hi everyone!

Just checking in. Monday is my 48th birthday, and I am so grateful to be celebrating another year. Last year at this time, I was getting ready for my 2nd TC infusion!

It nice and cool here in Georgia, and my kids are both back in school. My oldest is a Senior this year, and in Marching Band again. I am once again chaperoning and enjoying spending time with him during this last year of school. My youngest started middle school and is enjoying being back in school. He has Aspergers, and really needed that day to day structure and interaction.

I have my monthly oncologist visit on Monday and will be getting my first Prolia injection to counteract bone loss from Zoladex and Letrozole. My monthly oncology visits continue to show I am stable and no evidence of cancer. I have minor aches from the meds, but CBD oil has helped me keep those to a minimal. I am still trying to find a way to lose my chemo weight, working from home isn't helping me lol.

Gamb and Patty - I also have a head full of chemo curls! My hair is about 6-7 inches long and curly. It poofs up and I can't control it. My pre-chemo hair was straight so this is all new. I think I like straight better, but I'm not complaining. ☺️

I think of you all every day, and am so thankful for you!

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

I just found out today that my 10 year old cat, Gizmo, has Lymphoma. He starts chemo tomorrow, and ironically will be getting Cytoxan and Adriamycin along with 2 other drugs. The vet assures me that animals deal with chemo far better than humans, and that he has good odds for good quality of life, but it breaks my heart. I bottle fed him and his 2 siblings from 3 weeks old and they think I'm their mama.

• angieb92
    Options

Oh Tracy - sorry to hear that about Gizmo! I hope he makes it through chemo with ease and is cancer-free when he is done

• eveldon
    eveldon Member Posts: 31
    Options

I am so sorry to hear this Tracy. Poor thing. Hopefully he feels well during treatment. Heart

• Del13
    Options

Hello Ladies,, hope all is well, Sending hugs and positive vibes, thinking about y’all, 🤗🤗🤗

• Gamb
    Options

Hello everyone! It has been a beautiful week here in KY, this time last year no matter how nice the days were I was to far under a dark cloud to notice. My son's and grandkids are all doing great, no covid infections as of yet, thank goodness. My dog and kitty are getting along great, they play well together. I hope to paint the exterior of garage this month. I have had my flu shot, the 1st of the Shingles shot, i get the second dose in Dec and i had my dtap for tetanus, which I hadn't had in over 20 years. The pharmacist said dtap was better than the tetanus shot. I think I'm done with mowing grass for 2020....yay. i pray everyone is doing great.

• Del13
    Options

Hello Ladies!! Sending Hugs and Positive Vibes, Blessed to have all of you!! image

• angieb92
    Options

Hi Maggie!!!

I hope you are all out there living life to the fullest! I know I sure am! Love and hugs!!

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69
    Options

Hi ladies! It is Thanksgiving in Canada today and I have so many things to be thankful for this year. Last year I had just started chemo and felt horrible. I could barely get out of bed, never mind cook a big supper. This year I'm in charge and it feels great! We recently moved my Mom to a town 20 minutes from us, as my Dad passed away in November and the farm was too much for her on her own, and a province away from all of her kids. It's been great spending time with her. So she will be coming for supper, as well as my brother and sister in law and their 3 little boys, and my nephew and his girlfriend. Unfortunately hubby is away working, but will still be a good day. I have been doing well. Taking another break from Herceptin, due to low heart ejection fraction yet again, so that sucks but it is what it is. I was able to do 13 of 18 so far.

I hope you are all doing well and finding joy in everything you can! 😊

• angieb92
    Options

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, ange!!!

• Del13
    Options

Happy Thanksgiving Ange!!!

• tmh0921
    Options

Hi everyone

It's nice and sunny and cool in Georgia. I've healed from my exchange surgery, but will have one more procedure to do some fat grafting after the first of the year. My hair is growing longer each day, but is still super curly, I had to start BP meds today after a steady rise in my BP for the last few months. It hit 159/100 today and I had a raging headache. Not thrilled about adding another medicine, but it is what it is.

My goal is now to lose the 50+ pounds I've gained from chemo and COVID isolation. If I lose the weight I should be able to stop the BP as weight loss should naturally help my BP. My family and I are doing well, kids are in school and my husband is changing jobs to something less stressful. I’m still working from home, and I miss face to face interaction but I’m glad my company is watching out for us.

I hope you are all doing well

Tracy

• LMS458412
    Options

Hi everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates. I check in to read how everyone else is doing, but I've been too frazzled to write an update until now.

My father-in-law died several months ago. My mother-in-law is handicapped and was left alone in a massive house on 5 acres. We convinced her to sell and move in with her daughter. It's been months of repairs, cleaning, packing, garage sales, grocery shopping, appointments, and more. I'm exhausted. We've spent every weekend there and many weeknights, too. House closes tomorrow and now I can rest!

I saw my oncologist today. Bloodwork looks good. I had good followups with my radiation onc and surgeon, too. I go in for corrective surgery in December for a lump of fatty material left under my right arm that's very bothersome. She said it's a 30 minute surgery. My insurance still hasn't approved my CT scans that the onc wants me to have before my port is removed. Ugh. Having my first dexascan in a couple of weeks, though.

All in all, I feel okay. I'm a bit depressed with the covid stuff. I am annoyed by the frequent hot flashes. I don't sleep as well as I used to and I do have stiff joints in the mornings. But, it sure could be worse. I plan to try to enjoy the coming holidays as much as possible. I hope all of you will do the same!

P.S. My hair is crazy big! I need a trim and a lesson in styling curly hair!

• Gamb
    Options

LMS, nice head of hair. I keep my curls cut off, I keep a pixie cut, but it's not like my hair is growing fast because it's not. Holiday seasons are here I am 1 year and 4 months out from my breast cancer diagnosis, i put my arms around my shoulders and hug myself, because there were times I was so very scared of everything breast cancer involved. I'm stronger now, but I am definitely different in every aspect as to who I was before i expect we all are.

I think about cancer, all types, but especially breast cancer, is it really more prevalent now, or do we just hear about it more because of more access to info? I know it's a thief and a liar and a destroyer. So I thank God for every day and every day i am determined to not let cancer steal anyng else from me. Some days this is hard to do,, I keep on trying. May God bless every one of you fine ladies and if your are not a believer in a higher power i hope you are blessed anyway. I pray the holiday seasons are what each of us wants it to be, above all else tho, I hope it brings peace and comfort.

I love fall....lol

Darlene

• angieb92
    Options

imageLeah - I love the curls!! I'm glad all of the craziness dealing with your in-laws is coming to a close and you can rest, reset, and enjoy.

Darlene - I feel exactly like you do. I am thankful and blessed to be able to have everything but the kitchen sink thrown at this cancer. I try harder to be a better steward of my time. I consider this my second act and I'm determined to make it the best one but I would be lying if I said I didn't worry from time to time. It would be so nice if we could get one final scan that clears us for the rest of our lives but, since we lack that, we can only move forward like we got one.

I'm adding a pic of my hair. I flat iron the curls out. I was naturally curly headed before and my hair has grown back the same. I am thankful.

Happy Fall to you all (or as we say in Arkansas, “y'all"). You are always on my heart and I cherish the check-ins to let us know you are okay.

• LMS458412
    Options

Darlene and Angie - So nice of you two to check in!

I have no idea what to do with my curls. They are crazy and poofy and wild. I haven't had my hair professionally cut since before I started chemo. I'm wondering if I should go shorter, or maybe use some product to control the curls? If anyone has ideas, let me know!

I love how optimistic you all are! I've been in a funk lately and feeling discouraged and fearful. Then my all 3 of my recent checkups (RO, MO and surgeon) turned out just fine. I think I was just rundown from all the stress and work lately. I plan to spend the holidays focusing on resting my body and getting stronger by eating healthy and taking long walks. I'm trying to trust that God has a plan for me and I need to accept it, but it's difficult for me to let go. I have lots of work to do on me.

I hope everyone had a nice Halloween! We all dressed up as Hogwarts students (Harry Potter) and I sat outside at a table with bags of goodies for the trick or treaters while my husband took our son around the neighborhood. Our neighbors did an amazing display with costumed characters and lights and fog and everything. Very fun!

• Gamb
    Options

Hey all, had my primary doctor visit last week, he started me on Cymbalta 30 mg for nerve and joint pain and gave me some prednisone for an arthritis flare up and it is working wonders. Saw oncologist for regular follow up check up went well and blood work is great.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

• LMS458412
    Options

I'm glad you had a good checkup, Darlene, and that you're getting some relief with your new meds.

I had my first DEXA scan today. Hoping my bones are strong. I'll find out within a week.

So far, my corrective surgery for a big dog ear is still scheduled for 3 weeks from now. After than that, I'm on maintenance mode!

• angieb92
    Options

Leah and Darlene - I love these check-ins!! Maintenance mode sounds great! I hope the dog-ear surgery is an easy success.

I have my last Kadcyla treatment this Friday then I guess it’s maintenance mode for me too! It’s been a long road but I am so blessed to have you all!

• eveldon
    eveldon Member Posts: 31
    Options

Congrats Angie!! What a haul!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :) I am so grateful this year to just feel normal. Although I feel like I have been quarantined since August 2019 I am back to my normal self with a few extra aches and pains. Feeling blessed to have some hair and look like myself.

• tmh0921
    Options

Nice to see everyone checking in with such good reports! I have a fat grafting surgery after the first of the year, then I hope to be in maintenance mode. I have lost 10 pounds since starting BP meds last month, hopefully I can keep up this trend. My oldest walked the football field for senior night 10/30. I'm so happy to have been able to walk with him! My hair is growing longer, and the curls are finally starting to relax a little. I'm pinning my bangs back until it grows back to a decent length.

• angieb92
    Options

Thanks eveldon!! So glad you are feeling normal - me too and I never thought I would.

Tracy I love the picture!!! Congratulations to your oldest! What a great night!!

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190
    Options

Hey ladies! I haven't forgotten aboutcha (even though my memory isn't what it was before treatment) and hope you're all doing well. :) I've been working from home since Covid and I love it! Hot flashes are still miserable. I had a scare back in October. I found a lump on top of the implant in the same breast I had my tumor and almost in the exact same place. Turns out it was just fat necrosis from my reconstruction. I still haven't lost any weight and my efforts have been placed on hold fitness wise due to an injured foot. As soon as I can get a shoe on again I'll get back to it since nothing is broken. Just squashed it real good. I have my 3rd of 4 Zometa infusions at the end of December. My arms and chest still feel weak and weird. Sometimes, I wish I had chosen to not do reconstruction. Sometimes, I'm glad I did because I can't see prosthetics being comfortable and probably causing chaffing with all the sweating I do because of the hot flashes. Eh well, I'm here and I'm happy. I hope life is treating you all well and I hope you have wonderful celebrations and memories made this holiday season. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!