Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Options

Comments

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    Options

Hello everyone, Brilee you must have been very scared. I know i would have been. I saw my surgeon today, felt great to have the physical exam. Dexa scan was good and my surgeon has moved me to one year visits. I don't know how I feel about that, on one hand feels good on the other I'm not ready. Cymbalta seems to be helping my joint pain, but i think it gives me headaches, will discuss with primary dr the 11th. Hope everyone is doing their best.

Darlene

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

AngieB - Congrats on finishing Kadcyla! I'm glad you're doing well.

Eveldon - I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

Tracy - You look great! Good luck with the weight loss. I have been trying, but not hard enough. It's hard to stay away from the goodies this month! LOL!

Bridget - I'm so happy the lump was nothing bad. I hope your foot has healed by now!

Darlene - Glad your Dexa results were good and you're in maintenance mode now!

I'm doing okay. My Dexa results were great. I had my surgery on Friday and it went smoothly. I already feel so much better to have that clump of extra fat and skin off me. I hope to get back to exercising soon so I can regain some upper body strength. I feel pretty decent other than the tight feeling around my chest and the lack of strength in my upper body. I'm not having as many hot flashes, the joint aches are minimal, so I'm mostly dealing with some forgetfulness and some mild lymphedema. My oncologist has moved me to appointments every 4 months now. Still every 6 months with my surgeon, but it makes me feel better to keep it that way for awhile.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season, whatever holiday you celebrate this time of year!!! If I don't check in sooner, then Happy New Year and good riddance 2020! LOL!

Leah

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    Options

Leah - so glad to hear the surgery went well and that the hot flashes and joint pain are subsiding.

I hope you all are doing well. I keep you close to me. We’ve all been through so much. I imagine it’s like being on the battlefield together.

Our office w moved to downtown Hot Springs in August and I’m finding my mid-day walk to be inspiring. Just wanted to share a pic. Love to all! ❤️

• LMS458412
    Options

Very pretty, Angie. I need to get out and walk more. We did a family walk yesterday and it was wonderful. A little too warm for me (68 degrees), but it sure beats the summer heat by a mile!

• Gamb
    Options

Hi everyone, I've been having a time with my blood pressure, but I think new med is doing the trick, I've started fasting 24 hours twice a week, I thought it would be hard, but so far it's been good. I drink plenty of water and tea.i think fasting is something I can do in a permanent basis. I really need to lose around 20 pounds, pipe dream i think...lol. cymbalta continues to keep joint pain and a little nerve pain at bay, but it might be adding to my blood pressure ill see primary dr. in January to discuss. Grandkids eagerly await Christmas and their joy is contagious.

I hope everyone is doing their best, I wish all a Merry Christmas and Happy holidays and a blessed New Year . I think of you all and I thank you for this thread of wonderful women.

Darlene

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69
    Options

I hope everyone is doing well. I have Herceptin #15 of 17 next week. Enjoying work and getting back to normal. It has been one hell of a year! I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and nothing but good health and happiness in the coming year. 😊

• angieb92
    Options

Merry Christmas to you all!! ❤️❤️

• Gamb
    Options

Happy New Year every one! May it bring peace and comfort and a whole lot of laughter.

Darlene

• angieb92
    Options

Happy New Year!!!!!

• eveldon
    eveldon Member Posts: 31
    Options

Happy New Year ladies!! I keep thinking of how awful I felt last year and am so grateful to just feel like myself this year. Best wishes for another healthy year for all of us!!Heart

• LMS458412
    Options

Hello my fellow Wonder Women!!!

I hope 2021 is going well for everyone so far.

My year started a little rough. I have had more gas and acid reflux lately. I finally figured out that it is my anastrazole. The pharmacy started giving me pills made by a different manufacturer (Accord) and it's wreaking havoc on my system. I have about 5 weeks of pills left and hoping I can get the other ones (made by Bluepoint) the next time. I know the side effects with those are minimal, so just hanging on until then and taking a couple of Tums every day!

I just wanted to share some happy news. I finally got my long-awaited CT scan yesterday. After a year of back and forth with the insurance company, they finally agreed to cover it. The results were good. So, hopefully I can get my port removed soon!

Now I'm just focusing on losing some weight. I bought what I call a "Peloton dupe"...a much cheaper exercise bike that I use with Peloton cycling classes. I'm lifting hand weights and doing core exercises. I'm watching what I eat. I'm determined to whip this body into shape and make the most of this second chance.

I pray for all of you often and I hope you are all enjoying life (as much as we can at this time).

• angieb92
    Options

Hi Leah - and all you amazing ladies in our group!

Yay for a great CT scan! Let us know when you get the port out. Sorry about the GI issues. I’m still on Tamoxifen but take a Pepcid every day

2021 is crazy for my work still (I work in unemployment for my state) but everyday I appreciate how good I feel.

I hope you all are out there living life to the fullest (mindful of COVID of course.)

Lots of love!!

• LMS458412
    Options

I'm glad you checked in, Angie! I can't even imagine how busy you are these days, but I'm glad you're feeling well enough to handle it all. :)

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Hi everyone - I can't believe it's been months since I checked in.

Life has been hectic in 2021. My kitty, Gizmo, has been getting weekly chemo for lymphoma and I'm happy to report that he's in remission. I'm still working from home, and it appears it may become permanent. I really miss being in the office, but I'm saving a ton on gas by eliminating my 60 mile round trip every day. My oldest turned 18 in January and got his license. We bought him a car and it's been great having another driver to run errands and pick my youngest up from school rather than having to do conference calls in carpool!

I still see my oncologist monthly, but I got to stop taking my monthly Zoladex injection this month which makes me happy! I'm hoping with one less med I can lose weight easier. I'm scheduled to have fat grafting next month and reconstruction should be done, one more step to fewer doctors 🙃

I hope you are all doing well and healthy, I think of you all often

Tracy

• Gamb
    Options

Hello everyone, glad every one is holding in there. I have had bad headaches since thanksgiving and my oncologist order a MRI on head and neck. Brain is good but neck showed severe disc degeneration. Will see ortho as soon as I can. She doesn't think any of it is cancer related, which was music to my ears. Hope we all have a better spring and summer, prayers are always with all of you.

Darlene

• Gamb
    Options

Hello all, my oncologist recommended moderns or Pfizer covid vaccine because of the percentage of effectiveness. Just a little info.

Darlene

• Dottybird
    Dottybird Member Posts: 25
    Options

Greetings all my lovely friends! I have not posted in a while but read your posts and think of you. I love the photos!

My hair has moved beyond Bozo stage to somewhat pretty longish curls, but I can tell that as it gets longer the curls are going. Oh well. People love to comment on them and I say, just take a bunch of toxic chemicals, have all your hair fall out, and it will grow back curly!

Still on tamox, for now. It is causing a thickened endometrial lining which the GO does not like so I will have to change to AIs soon. Also have an Ooph. Otherwise GO wants full hyst, which I don't want.

No COVID shot yet, but no COVID either! Mysterious 10 pounds appeared that are not leaving. So ready to leave the house...

Gamb, glad your headaches are not cancer! I get migraines and always think the worst. Also have bad disks.

Tracy, hooray for Gizmo!

Hooray for everyones clean scans!

• ange743
    Options

Hi all. I hope everyone is doing well. It's crazy how I used to read these boards every free minute I had and now I can go weeks without checking back here. Life here is good. Hair is growing, though slower than I'd like. Still haven't had a trim so it's looking a little mullety. Have been having weird cells at pap tests and had a call today with gynecologist. Apparently the lack of estrogen can cause it. Cancer, the gift that just keeps on giving. Just need to monitor for now. Still on heart meds for low ejection fraction from Herceptin, but no symptoms so that's ok. I'm happy it's spring. Got to see my nephews this past weekend for the first time since October, as we are still under crazy lockdown orders. Haven't seen my oldest daughter since February 2020.

I hope you are all doing well and enjoying life!

Ange

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

Hello, old friends. I hope the spring is finding you all in good spirits.

I, too, have found myself coming back infrequently, but I do come back. I've been referring people to these boards because of how supportive I found this group in particular.

Health-wise, things are good. I'm 13 months post-DIEP, which went well. I'm still dealing with body adjustment - things not stretching the way they used to before all the surgeries. I recently had my second Moderna vaccine shot, so I'm about eight days away from feeling far less terrified of going outside. I'm off all meds and looking at my 45th birthday this summer, which I hope to be on a warm beach.

My hair is generally coming in straight again, which has been good. I'm curly right at the base of my neck, which is hilarious. I've been going pretty salt and pepper-y for a while, but post-chemo, I haven't colored. I kind of miss it, but maybe I'll dye a silly color just for my kids.

All in all, things are going well. I've worked from home for years, so the only real difference is the additional noise of...everyone else at home with me! We took our first trip in nearly two years to a cabin in the mountains for a week. Other than it being surreal to not be home, it was lovely.

I am trying very hard to breathe deep, pause, and remember that it's good to be alive at least once a day. Between COVID and cancer, I feel so very fortunate to be alive and well.

Hugs to you all.

• angieb92
    Options

Happy Saturday, ladies!! I hope you are all well and enjoying beautiful weather wherever you are.
    Today, I participated in my Cancer Institute’s first annual Cure Walk. I want you to know you were all on my mind every step of the way!

You are my heroes and I send you much love!!image

• tmh0921
    Options

You’re looking great Angie!

Life has been moving on for all of us it seems, which is a great thing! I still see my MO monthly, I can’t believe 5/31 will be 2 years since diagnosis. My oldest graduates fro high school on 5/31, so we have something wonderful to celebrate that day instead of focusing on cancer.

I was able to stop Zoladex (ovarian suppression) two months ago and so far my estrogen has remained practically zero. One medicine down, which makes me happy. My hair is down just past my shoulders and starting to lose some of the chemo curl which also makes me happy, I can’t do anything with curls.

I hope each and every one of you are doing fabulous and moving past cancer.

(((Hugs)))

Tracy

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107
    Options

Today is my one year anniversary of end of treatment and being No Evidence of Disease! It’s been a weird year with all the COVID restrictions. But, all in all, I’m doing well. Life is gradually returning to normal now that I’m vaccinated. I’ll be resuming in person piano lessons this Summer. I’m really looking forward to that. Things are opening up. Since January I have really tried to get my weight back within normal BMI. I’ve lost 30 lbs since when I was at my heaviest during chemo. My goal is 15 pounds more. I’m doing it slowly and really determined to keep my goal weight for good. It may mean revision surgery for a better result post double mastectomy with flat closure. But if I do that I will likely treat myself to a tummy tuck to get rid of my menopause apron.

Anyway, all going well. Hope you ladies are doing well too.

Marilyn

• LMS458412
    Options

So great to see everyone's updates. I think of you all often and pray for everyone's health and happiness.

I am well. I am exercising regularly and trying to eat healthy. I had my port removed at the end of April. I'm still on Zoladex and anastrazole. My side effects are tolerable now that I got the pharmacy to order the original manufacturer's pills for me. It's mostly hot flashes. My hair is shoulder length and still fairly curly, but the curls are not as tight as before.

Despite the damage done from all the treatments, I have accepted my new body and I am happy and enjoying life! Hugs to you all.

Leah

• tmh0921
    Options

Hi everyone!

Just checking in. I had fat grafting from my stomach to my left boob Tuesday to, hopefully, finish my reconstruction journey (minus the nipple tattoos which will come later). Boy am I sore, liposuction is no joke. I'm one big bruise. I still see my oncologist monthly and everything is looking great.

As of Monday 6/28, I have also completed my Masters Degree! I took time off during chemo, but went back last fall and just finished this week.

Glad to see everyone's updates!

Tracy

• Gamb
    Options

Congrats TMH, glad everyone is doing great. I am doing good, Saw MO June 17th, said at next visit, which is in September, if nothing is up, then the visits will go to every six months. I do have a bulging disc in c5 and I am in pt , seems a waste of time tho. But the gentle traction does feel nice. Hope all have a safe and happy 4th of July.

Darlene

• angieb92
    Options

Congratulations, Tracy!!!! Both big milestones accomplished!!

• Gamb
    Options

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is enjoying life as best hey can and are happy.. Two years ago this month I started chemo and you ladies where a gift and a life line.. Had my check up with oncologist and everything is good with me...we will still do every 3 months checkup, which is a relief.. just not ready for twice a year..

Darlene

• ange743
    Options

Hi all! What crazy memories of September 2019 for me. I am doing well. Had a spot show up on my latest mammogram but they did an ultrasound and say it's a cyst. So now I get mammograms every 6 months instead of annually. Still have appointments every 3 months and my Zoladex injection. Also started Zometa infusions every 6 months to strengthen bones and lessen chance of recurrence. I still haven't been able to get a haircut so it's a bit shaggy. LOL

My Mom is starting her 2nd go round with breast cancer. She was good for 10 years. Luckily we moved her close to us last year after my Dad passed away. Not sure what her treatment plan will be yet. She is 71 and says she won't do chemo again so we are hoping they don't recommend it for her.

Other than that life is good. The baby of the family graduated high school in June. Still have her and another daughter at home doing college.

I hope you are all doing well. I'm so happy when I see someone has posted to this group.

• sarah_78
    sarah_78 Member Posts: 119
    Options

Hi everyone,

this is such a long thread, I tried to read through it but I might have skipped a page of three.

I am starting with TCHP on Friday, 24th of September. I will receive it for 6 times with 3 weeks in between.

Feel like I am late to September club and early for October one.

Heard first admission is very long, hope I can pass the time. I will be receiving cooling for hands and feet through the machine at the clinic. They don't have cooling solution for hair yet so I ordered something online yesterday night, it has some gel packs inside a cap, hope that works.

Yesterday I went to the hairdresser to cut my usually very long hair. It doesn't look half as bad as I thought it would be, hoping to keep a part of it at least for a month or so, not planning to shave, but if it starts shedding too bad, I might have to change plans.

Thank you for all the experiences listed here, I know a bit more about what to expect now.

Wish everyone the best with your ongoing treatment.

• angieb92
    Options

I was just thinking about you all on the 2nd anniversary of starting chemo. You all mean so much to me and I could never forget your encouragement, love, and prayers. Please keep checking in to let me know how you are doing!