Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Options

Comments

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

Thanks all!

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm thinking of you today and praying for you all. Stay safe.

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190
    Options

Thanks Leah! You guys are in my prayers as well.

Tomorrow makes 19 weeks PFC.

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    Options

Bridget- love the hair!!!!

• LMS458412
    Options

Your hair looks great, Bridget!!!

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    Options

Hi every one, hope all are doing great and finding things to do while home bound. I have my bc checkup this Thursday, hopefully virus won't force a cancellation. I'm feeling good for the most part, lots of joint pain still, mostly in morning and if i sit 0r stand to long. My hair is coming in nicely but slow. I have some tightening in arms pits no matter how much I stretch. I still have moments of being scared but thankfully they are far between. I try to remember to do the best i can and let it go because i cant stop the cancer coming back,just a crap shoot. Been having beautiful weather and time to mow grass...lol

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180
    Options

imageimageHello Ladies, hope all is well, I have been keeping up, I have 8 girls that rent a booth from me at the beauty shop, we have been shut down since March 18, so I have been trying to keep them upbeat and positive, some received unemployment today which is awesome, all are self employed, no work no money, we will have some much needed changes in the broken system. Kentucky's Governor is doing a fantastic job dealing with this unbelievable virus, I miss my kids, as I'm sure you all do as well, got to do what's needed to stop the spread. I had to trim up my hair, some of the new growth looked a little pubicly,, lol I am going to post a picture of my hair and my incision,, still have some glue which is ok, letting come it off on its own, take care ladies hugs and positive vibes

Going in for infusion without my husband was weird, I will be so glad when all returns to normal

Linda

• angieb92
    Options

Maggie looking good!! Hang in there on the salon closure. You know your business will be booming when this is over because of all of the bangs cut and home colors! 😂

I’m five weeks past surgery and about to switch over to Kadcyla on Friday. I’m a little nervous about it because I want to continue to feel good.

I’m working on trying to feel normal now that the cancer is out of my breast. I feel like I can’t just be carefree and always have to be on guard. Anyone else feel that way? I just have to let go of the fear and embrace normal life again. I’m working from home and that helps so much. I just finished weed eating and mowing the yard. That helped too and goodness knows I need to exercise.

My PS is scheduling fills once every three weeks so we’re getting that scheduled same day as Kadcyla. Saves me a trip to the cancer institute.

I hope you all are having as much fun as can be. If we have any Jewish friends on here, Happy Passover!

❤️

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45
    Options

Dear Ladies,

Just checking in real quick. Finished radiation today (yeah!) and moving on to Tamoxifen... feels like I will need to reinvent my life now. I was working on my own little graphic design business, but that was a ton of stress with three school kids, my 93 year old Mom, our dogs and all the day to day stuff. Luckily, we can get by fine without my small income and being a Mom at home might be the new life. Finally setting up the vegetable garden I’ve been dreaming about for years, I guess.

I wish all of you a Happy Easter and best of luck for your recoveries and/or ongoing treatments. It has been wonderful to be part of this group especially fighting through chemo together! Keep up the positive thinking, the mind is a powerful weapon (of course, making it through the Corona crisis is a piece of cake for us, right?).

Love

Patt

• Brilee76
    Options

Happy Easter ladies!!🙌🙏🌷🐝🐣🐰🌱

• LMS458412
    Options

Gamb - How did your checkup go?

Linda - Looks like your incision is healing well and your hair is growing nicely!!! I hope your shop and everyone who rents there is okay after all this craziness. Hopefully just a little bit longer and we can start getting back to our new normal.

Angie - I think we all have some level of fear. I'm not sure it ever goes away. But, I know that as time goes on, we won't think about it quite so much and we'll have more carefree moments. It happens more often for me now and I have lots of hope that it will just keep getting better, in time....

Patty - Congrats on finishing rads!!!!!!!! Do what you have to do to take care of yourself. Once you get your garden growing, please share some pictures! I found a lady nearby with a beautiful garden and she's starting to teach me about plants. I'm going to start with some potted plants and then plant a real garden next spring. Hopefully gardening will be good for our mental outlook! Good exercise, too.

Bridget - Happy Easter to you, too - and everyone else!!!!

• LMS458412
    Options

Update from me:

My skin keeps getting better from the rads. I'm about six and a half weeks out. It's still dry and tight, but improving.

I had my CT scans scheduled for May 4th (May The Fourth Be With You, for any Star Wars fans in the house). I was feeling really good about them and hoping for a NED result. However, my stupid insurance company denied the scans. My oncologist did a peer-to-peer with their doctor and still denied. So, no idea when the scans will get done or when my port will come out.

Still no major side effects from the daily Anastrozole (Arimidex). I'm exercising 4 days a week and find that it really helps with the joints.

I'm trying to stay positive in the midst of all this COVID-19 craziness. Hope you are all doing the same!!!

• angieb92
    Options

Happy Easter, Bridget and to all of you wonderful ladies who have helped me keep my sanity

Leah - sorry to hear about your scans being denied. I wonder how they can justify that?

Patty - congrats on completing rads!!!

I started Kadcyla AND Tamoxifen Friday. The same day they pumped 120ml of saline in my boob seeds. So far, so good. I’m a little achy but I think that’s due to going from doing absolutely nothing (on doctor’s orders because my drains wouldn’t stop producing fluid) to working full time and trying to walk 20 minutes a day. I can’t completely blame Kadcyla or Tamoxifen for that.

I do feel better mentally. And am looking forward to exchange surgery on July 2 (Coronavirus allowing).

I hope you all are doing well and getting back to a relaxed and happy life - with the exception of the virus.

I look forward to the check-ins. Keep them coming!!

• Gamb
    Options

Hi everyone, hope all had a nice Easter. LmS all my appointments have been pushed back to the end of May, which I don't like, I would have like the comfort of the physical oncology exam. I check my self frequently, but with all the new layout I'm so afraid i would not recognize a bad lump. Seems like my joint pain isn't getting worse, just hanging around more through out the day. Since all the self isolating my diet has taken a dive, sweets and more sweets...lol

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69
    Options

It's nice to see everyone is progressing along and getting through this. As for me, I've started on the Zoladex and all is well so far. Still waiting to get radiation started, as my referral apparently got misplaced. Should be starting end of this week or next week, for 16 treatments. Will be happy to just get it done.

I was going to go back to work April 1, but with Covid 19, my Doctors have kept me off work. I really want to get back, but want to be smart and safe as well.

My teenagers are going crazy being in lock down, as they call it. LOL

My hair is growing, but ever so slowly it seems.

I hope you are all doing well. 😊

• ange743
    Options

Hey all,

I got a call from my Doctor today that my Herceptin is on hold, as my last heart scan showed that my heart ejection rate is too low. And it can lead to heart damage if it gets too low. So now I have to start 2 medications to hopefully improve it, then get another heart scan in 6 weeks. Then restart Herceptin if its back to close to normal. Mentally I was doing so much better and now I feel in the dumps again. Not sure when I'll be able to go back to work with Covid 19. I've been off since diagnosis. I want to see the positives, but I'm so weighed down by the negatives right now. Sorry, just needed to vent.

I hope you are all doing well. 😊

• Gamb
    Options

(((ange))) hugs, I'll squeeze you extra tight

• Brilee76
    Options

Vent away, ange. What we've been through and are going through is tough without this covid mess. You're in my prayers. ❤🙏

• angieb92
    Options

That’s what we’re here for, ange. Sorry for the setback but things will get better! ❤️

• eveldon
    eveldon Member Posts: 31
    Options

Ange--I feel for you so much. Getting back to work was a huge boost mentally. I had my Zometa infusion last week and felt like crap again for about 10 days--it seems like one step forward and two back is the standard. Take it easy and know we are all thinking of you.Heart

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180
    Options

Ange,, hugs, it will get better, I’m with ya, what is the normal? Sending positive vibes!!! Hugs to all!!

• Gamb
    Options

Hello everyone, hope everyone is doing great. I decided it's time to get serious about weight loss and getting healthier (again)...lol. seems like my motivation comes and goes. I seemed to have a little more tightness along my mastectomy scar especially closer to my arm pit, my stretches seem to not be helping as much, I need to try some different ones. The weather has been nice except for the wind, the wind has been very cold. I don't feel like I used to feel. I don't quite like how the now version of me feels, between menopause and breast cancer, I just want the normal me back, not the crazy one i am now.

• Brilee76
    Options

I feel the same way, Gamb. I remember my doctors telling me I'd get used to my "new normal". My new normal is very uncomfortable. I'm trying to get back on my WFPB diet again. I love fruits and vegetables but I've been so used to eating a lot of meat. It's difficult. I'm supposed to see my oncologist this week. Hopefully, I can convince myself to exercise every day!

• ange743
    Options

Thanks for everyone's support, it's much appreciated. I had my radiation set up appointment last week and officially start radiation on May 6, which also happens to be my birthday. 😐 Will be good to just get it done. Aside from continuous medications for years, it's the last treatment. And will be easier than dose dense AC chemo I'm sure. The return to work debate is still going on for me. Though with radiation taking up most of May, I'm leaning towards taking another month off. If not for the virus, if probably return part time during radiation and see how it goes. My workplace is very understanding and I'm still on paid sick leave for a bit yet. I just want to get more of my normal life back. Hair is growing but it seems so slow. Last chemo was January 2, I thought it would be longer by now. But at least it's growing! I'll try to add a picture.

I hope you are all doing well! 😊image

• angieb92
    Options

ange - your hair looks great! Good luck with radiation. You will get back to work and to a normal routine soon. Just keep taking care of yourself!

I hope all of you ladies are doing well and adjusting the best you can to this pandemic.

• Gamb
    Options

Ange your hair looks great. .Ky is going to start opening phase 1 this Monday, so hopefully, all my May Dr appointments will stay as scheduled. Peace and sunshine to all.

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45
    Options

ange, my last chemo was end of December and I am with you 100%. Yes, the hair grows but it will still be another 2-3 months before I can lose baseball caps.

Good luck to all starting radiation. I had six weeks with a daily dose except weekends and had some pretty painful days during the first couple of weeks after. But I am happy to report that after some painful peeling things are better now (approaching 3 week mark). This too will pass.

Lov

• LMS458412
    Options

Your hair looks great, Ange!

Like many of you, I'm having some trouble getting used to the "new me". Everything still feels like it's healing. There's still areas of numbness and sensitivity. My joints bother me. The hot flashes continue. I'm not quite sure how to dress myself. I wear a lot of long tee shirts with sweat pants/joggers/leggings. Comfort is key right now. But, I'm doing okay. Mentally, I feel pretty good most of the time, even if physically I can't do the same things I used to and I don't feel as good as I used to. I'm grateful I got to see my son turn 10. Trying to look forward and keep the faith.

I'll do a hair update sometime soon. It's still growing, but so curly that it doesn't really look longer, just poofier!

I hope you all are doing well.

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Hi all -

I haven't been on in a while; getting used to working from home full time as well as having the kids at home doing school online has been a challenge! I think we're getting used to our "new normal" as far as this whole social distancing thing goes.

I've been off of Tamoxifen and on Femara for about six weeks. So far, Femara has fewer side effects than Tamoxifen, but I still have joint aches. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that current side effects are as bad as it gets, If so I'll be satisfied. My exchange surgery to get my tissue expanders replaced with implants has been delayed until who knows when. I have insurance pre-approval through 6/17, but called them to ask how to get that extended given the whole COVID-19 situation. They are being very accommodating.

Like Leah, my hair is growing, but is starting to curl so it doesn't look like it's getting longer. It is, however, very thick. I've now started leaving the wig and beanies at home on the few occasions I am getting out of the house and just going with my short hair.

I hope you all are doing well during the ongoing COVID-19 situation, and are staying well. I'm still thinking of all of you regularly, even if I'm not on as much.

(hugs)

Tracy

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Here’s a hair update from me...I’m 26 weeks PFC

• angieb92
    Options

Looking good, Tracy!!