Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation Sept. 2019

Options

Comments

• Acucindy
    Acucindy Member Posts: 8
    Options

Almost there! Good for you!!! I am sorry you are so tired and sore. Can you get a massage? I own a clinic and my massage therapist worked on my arms and back and it helped!

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

Geez Polkadot, like you don't have enough to deal with. I'm sorry about your car. Congrats on getting through #11!

Thanks for the information Spoonie. Unfortunately the machine I have doesn't have something that I can look at to make sure that I'm holding enough. I have to wiggle my fingers if I can't hold my breath anymore. It's probably put together with gum and shoelaces. :|

Good for you tennisgirl on getting through the first one. From what they tell me, you eventually become a pro at doing all of this.

Accucindy- my coworker also recommended a massage. She had one after her rad treatments and said it really helped

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

laurencl - I don't know if I get tattoos or sharpie. They didn't tell me and I forgot to ask. I will find out on Friday when I go in for that.

Spoonie - Great videos and information! That helps me visualize how this whole thing works and that it won't mess things up if I start breathing.

Thank you all for your encouragement and sharing what is going on in your treatment. It's good to know we are not all alone going through this.

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    Options

Wait....DogMomRunner you have to signal the techs to stop the radiation if you can't hold your breath?? I sure hope I am misunderstanding. That seems VERY stressful if so!

I didn't have a machine that let me visuals anything either. In general knowing there wad that failsafe in place helped so I knew there was nothing I would do that would cause anything to malfunction. :)

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Member Posts: 551
    Options

18 done, 15 to go. Today I saw my Ro. She is very satisfied with the appearance of my skin so far ... I think Aloe Vera and Dmso are making the difference. Good luck with your treatments today, girls!

• smackan
    smackan Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi everyone- I had #3 today and all is going well. The worst part is laying in the prone position on your rib as they move you around to position you and then for the zaps. Today was nice because on Wednesday’s they give you a massage after. I could have stayed there all day!

I have to be honest that I am still so hyper-sensitive from the surgery that I haven’t moisturized as much as I should, I promise myself that I will so I don’t regret it.

Glad everyone is still holding up well

• PinkArmor
    PinkArmor Member Posts: 51
    Options

Good Morning Ladies,
    I had the first boost tx today. Forgot how tiring the set up is. I had to be on that hard steel table, arms over your head for 35 mins so they could x-ray, re-position and do new marks. I thought that the rads would be to just one sight but it seems my RO has mapped it for 3 different angles. One directly at the nipple area, and one on each side of the breast and lasts about 8 mins total. I am a little concerned about it being directed at the nipple - that's the only part that has burned and peeled so far. At least it's the home stretch. One thing I did find that has really helped for those who have to work and need to wear a bra; I found some very soft cotton camis at Walmart for 1.88. I put those on against my skin and then put the bra on over the cami. They are cheap so if the stuff we use gets on them no biggie and they come up higher on the sides than a bra and are so soft. It's worked well for me.

DogMomRunner- I almost called in sick today. But I am so stubborn that I refused to allow it to make me stay home. i do push myself to hard. I keep saying if I can just get the point X then I will take some time. I just never do. I know at some point it's going to catch up to me. You would think I would have learned my lesson after passing out in the shower face first. Goofy me.

Today was hump day more than 1/2 way through our week. Congrats to the ones that are 1/2 way thru txs. For those just starting - here's to few SE. Remember to take care of your skin before the SE starts. It really does minimize the effects.

Yndorian1 - your are doing amazing will all of your treatments. You are a rock star!

Polkadot so sorry about all that 's going on. Trying to work and do this is hard enough you don't need extra. Hope the hunt goes well and the insurance co is kind.

Ladies have a great day.

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow." - Mary Anne Radmacher.

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Spoonie - yep. Today I took my practice breaths, held the third and wiggled my fingers. And nothing. They couldn't see my fingers (left hand) because the machine was in the way! So I laid there, almost turning blue, until one of the techs said I could breath. I wiggled the fingers on the right hand the next time.

Hi Yndorian- love the new picture!!

smackan - woo hoo! Three down!

PinkArmor - I hope you take a well deserved rest this weekend. I'm the same way though sometimes. Cancer is not going to win! We cry out, as we crawl from our beds and lay on the floor in fetal position until we summon the strength to crawl tothe shower to get ready for work. Winking

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

PinkArmor - Thank you for the feedback on the camis. I actually had just picked them up at Walmart last night too! At that price I didn't mind ruining them. Congratulations on getting to the boosts! I hope you will have minimal SE during these. You are almost done!

• rlws
    rlws Member Posts: 37
    Options

Had #10 of 20 today so at the halfway point which makes me very happy. My skin is holding up, it is pink and I have those zingers but not bad. I have irritation under my armpit though but soft shirts help with that. I am being very diligent with the aquafor and it is helpful! Today I struggled with my breath holding for some reason but my techs were aware and they stopped and started again. Made me a bit anxious but all good.

DogRunnermom - so sorry you do not have a screen to look at and they have not been attentive, hope it gets better tomorrow.

smacken - congrats on #3! try to use lotion, it will help!!

PinkArmor - did not know had to set up again for boosts or that they were at different angles. I hope yours go smoothly and your skin holds up especially your nipple area.

I wish you all a good last two txts this week. try to rest when you need to and hope the SE's are minimal!!

Keep the strength and courage to continue to fight the good fight!!!

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Are you fricking kidding me? Drove to my appointment this am. Got here at 6:30am 30 minute drive) only to find out the hospital and radiation place lost power. Got the voicemail 10 minutes before I arrived. Sat in the parking lot for 30 minutes until the place opened up to find out that I’m not getting radiation today. Son of a bleep

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

19 done, 14 to go. The hot weather is starting here, my skin is still ok.

DogMomRunner: what happened to you stinks! It is absolutely necessary that you go shopping to overcome the bad moment 😋 🛍

Have a nice day without SE, ladies!💓

• PinkArmor
    Options

Good Morning Ladies-

2nd boost went well- quick zap zap zap and I was out. Feeling ok.

DogMomRunner- I would love to take time this weekend but I need to go see my Mom. She's in a nursing home 3 hours from me. I haven't seen her in a month. I was going every other weekend and staying the 2 days to be with her but when all this started I had to go down to just a few hours on a Sat once a month. Anxious to get back to my routine with her. But the next weekend is all mine- hubby hunting house to myself. Yay!
    rlws, mocame - skin doing better actually. The pink has turned to a tan color on the bend where breast and under arm meet. Lots of freckles too! Too funny. The nurse told me yesterday that the radiation continues for up to 10 days; so SE could continue for that long. Guess me and the gel will be friends for awhile. Zingers are active today!

Friday is on the horizon ladies!

"Faith is the daring of the soul to go farther than it can see."

~Anonymous

Fight like a girl! We are tough! Have a great day!

• polkadot1
    polkadot1 Member Posts: 46
    Options

Pink Armor- I am sooo with you on the quiet weekend front. My husband hunts too and as much as I love him, I love the alone time and look forward to it each year. He loves the outdoors and the time he gets to spend with our grown son so it is a win-win!

Glad the boosts are going well for you. I am officially 3/4 of the way done. I saw my RO yesterday for the weekly check and and since I finish next Tuesday,he said see you in six months.

DogMomRunner- so sorry you went through all of that. SO frustrating! Hope your day goes better today

Yndorian1- you are blowing through these treatments. Glad your skin is holding up well.Yay!

We are all almost to the end of another week. We've got this!!

• PinkArmor
    Options

Polkadot1 - yay! you are just one day behind me. I finish Monday. My RO said I had to come back in 4-6 weeks. They do skin checks and over all condition after the effects of the tx should have subsided. Then I don't see him again the MO picks up on the continual care.

DogMomRunner- I am so sorry that happened. What a bummer. It takes out part of your day for no reason and then it add just one more day to your tx. So NOT fair.

Yndorian1 - funny you said the hot weather is starting for you and we are praying ours finally goes away. Still to hot here for almost Oct. I can't think fall in 90 degree weather! Yay - you are in the home stretch! You go girl!

rlws - You are 1/2 way thru- that's awesome. Hopefully your skin holds as is. Soft t-shirts are the best. The camis I have been wearing are like soft tshirt material.

smackan - I am scheduled for a massage after all this is done. Wish they did them once a week. That would be so awesome.

• polkadot1
    Options

PinkArmor- my MO also takes over my care but I see her in two weeks for skin check and overall condition and also to start my Tamoxifen :/ Not looking forward to that but one day at a time!

• tennisgirl1
    tennisgirl1 Member Posts: 30
    Options

3/32 Down. So far my skin is fine. I come home and put either Aquaphor or coconut oil on it. So far, so good. Should I be doing anything more at this point? I have AloeVera, but am saving that for any burns or extreme redness. What else do I need to do to prevent the bad stuff?

I am lately overwhelmed by the kindness of everyone I am coming in contact with. From random people in the elevator to the hospital parking structure ticket takers, I am being gifted with spontaneous expressions of hope, prayers and strength. I wish they knew how I hold these encounters near and dear to my heart. I am bald, with no eyebrows or lashes and look chemo/cancer ish, which probably invites the kindness that I am finding fortifies me. It reminds me to always give it back to others, like me, who are obviously in the big battle, and who might be silently struggling.

DogMomRunner: That must have been so hard to get over. The drive, and wait, and then to have it cancelled... just isn’t fair. So sorry. Nothing but good from now on.

Yndorian1: I am looking at you and rlws for tips on how to manage the side effects. It seems that you both are kicking butt. Thanks for all you share.

PinkArmor: I don’t know anything about boosts. What are they? Obviously, since I’ve never heard of them, I’m not a candidate for them. Is it diagnosis driven, or size, or another factor? I hate being ignorant! Thanks for enlightening me.

I hope everyone has a good Friday with minimal side effects and lots of love and strength.

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

Tennisgirl1: Congrats in 3 done! I also use coconut oil sometimes. I found helpful to spread the aloe vera gel first to moisturize and refresh the skin, and then apply something more greasy on top. As the treatments go by, my skin absorbs more than I put on, so I'm smearing many times a day. My boob is getting a little "freckled" LOL

I guess your treatments will be 25 plus 7 boosts. The boosts are just for the scar.

Edited to add: I just noticed that a thin layer of skin is peeling in all irradiated areas, including the shoulder blade. It's weird because it's barely pink. I only have 6 complete treatments left and then the 8 boosts to the scar

• dogmomrunner
    Options

thanks guys. My ranting is over and I have stopped being a big baby about it. 🙂

Yndorian - I went to work but maybe some shopping therapy this weekend. Woo hoo on #19!

PinkArmor - I know that your Mom will appreciate you being there. So next weekend some me time for you! And yes, yay for Friday!

Yay Polkadot! Next Tuesday is just around the corner.

Tennisgirl- #3 down! 👍🏻 I use aloe and Aquaphor. My RO recommended the Aquaphor and people here on BC.org recommended the aloe (among other things). I had someone at work hug me. He asked if I was battling the big C. I said it's more of a little c but then he hugged me. I've had people stare at me, others ask how I'm doing kind of like they are pitying me and then others who just tell me it's ok and maybe hug me. It's sometimes so humbling what people will do.

It's almost Friday. Woot

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

Hello all,

I had #12 of 16 today. No boosts for me 😳. I am one day behind polkadot and 2 days behind PinkArmor. My skin is slightly pink. I use aquafor ointment spray. I am very lucky to not feel zinging or soreness.

DogMomRunner-sorry about the botched appointment. You certainly had the right to be angry. Hope it is the last time that happens. Yes, definitely do some shopping this weekend.

Yndorian1- love your picture. Keep up your good skincare routine. Hope the peeling stops.

Rlws- congrats on being half way through. The time is going by quite fast it seems.

Tennisgirl1-So happy that people are showing encouragement, kindness and empathy to you, as they should. It is not easy what you (we) are going through and have been through. Did we ever think that this would happen to us?? It is surreal to me. But, when I start feeling down, I keep reminding myself that there is always someone worse off than me. I am grateful for the excellent treatment with top notch medical professionals.

PinkArmor and Polkadot- enjoy your "me time" weekends while your hubby's hunt. PinkArmor, hope you have a nice visit with your mother this weekend. My mother was also in a nursing home at the end of her life. I miss her every day. She has been gone 7 years.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

Hi there! 20 done, 5 regular + 8 boosts to go. Today my skin is a little more pink... I'm really glad to have 2 days free to moisturize and grease again and again...

Have a nice day, smooth tx and few SE. ❤

• PinkArmor
    Options

Good Morning Ladies - YAY for Friday.

For the page adding insult to injury: I found out yesterday why my fatigue and extras have been so bad. When I saw the PCP's PA back in May they did blood work and she called and said she was upping my Thyroid meds. I told her I didn't think it was necessary because my levels were middle road. She did it anyway and I went from 75mcg to 125 mcgs. I begged for just 100mcg saying that should be enough but she said no it warranted going that high. I found a new PCP this week that's in my hospitals network so all my records will be visible. He did blood work and found that my thyroid levels were way off. It should be between .04- and 4. I was at .0193. She gave me way too strong of med. This has been causing the fatigue, the aches and pains and the digestive upset as well. I wasn't not happy but glad we know its not all related to the rad tx .Should be better in 1-2 wks.

So next to last rad tx today. So excited.

Tennisgirl1 - the boosts are to direct a certain amount of rads to the sight of the cancer. The other rads are for whole breast radiation - boosts is extra for where the cancer was- just an added layer of death to those pesky cancer cells should there be any left. Usually it's where your lumpectomy scar is. In my case I also had a big reduction done on both breast at the same time as the lumpectomy. That's why I have 3 angles.

UpStateNYer and DogMomRunner - can't wait to see my Mom. She doesn't know about the cancer. We felt it was better for her not to know since she is bed ridden and doesn't have anything to do but watch TV read or stare at the ceiling. She knows I had reduction surgery and a few wound issues.

Yndorian! - I too am peeling. I have 3 scars they did the anchor cut for the reduction surgery so all my scars are a angry red and the ones around my nipple and down the front are peeling. I have lots of freckles on the part where the arm/shoulder meets the breast and its a dark tan. Too funny.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and enjoys our 2 days off! Be good to yourself ladies and do one nice thing just for you. You deserve it.

• smackan
    smackan Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi All,

I had 5/16 today and my skin is pink but nothing big. Sentinel node scar is the most tender at this point but I assume it’s because it’s so hot out right now and I am wearing sleeveless and it has skin to skin contact in that area. The one thing that has been bothering me is a killer headache. This is now day 3 of my headache. It starts late afternoon and I can’t get rid of it. Everything else is good.

Sorry to hear about the peeling some of you are having. Although PinkArmour, I am jealous that you are almost done. I had a reduction too and my anchor scars are starting to turn dusky.

Hope everyone has a nice rad free weekend and rest up if you can

• dogmomrunner
    Options

UpstateNYer - yay for #16!

Yndorian - yay for #20!

I'm glad both of you ladies are getting close to the end with hopefully minimal SE.

Yay PinkArmor - for catching what was causing the fatigue and almost done! I'm lucky that my Mom and Dad live in my neighborhood. We convinced my Dad to move about a year ago so my husband and I can help with my Mom (she has early stage dementia). I hope your trip and visit goes well.

Hi smackan - my SN site is also a bit more irritated today. I'm sorry to hear about the headache though. Is it possible that it's from the position you have to hold for rads? I hope it goes away over the weekend.

Today I got #4. I wiggled the fingers on my right hand figuring they could see it better (after what happened on Wednesday) but afterward they told me just to use my left hand. 🙄 I like my chemo team much better than these rad people.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

• tennisgirl1
    tennisgirl1 Member Posts: 30
    Options

4/32 Down. All went easy and fast. I only noticed a 3” circle of redness around my nipple. I am putting coconut oil on my whole breast. I did cut off a leaf from my big aloe plant and put the goop on the redness. I ordered 100% aloe from Amazon after fooling with the plant and goopy scissors etc. Much easier to squeeze from a bottle. My scars are very lateral. Lymph node scar is in my armpit, my tumor was on my chest wall, so it’s scar is almost under the node incision. I am confused with the redness around my nipple if the focus is lateral. Any one have a similar situation?

Upstate: I’ve been eyeballing the Aquaphor spray. Is it as effective as the tub of ointment? Also, you are such a constant source of support and kind words. Thank you for your words, even while you deal with your own struggle. You, too, are surrounded with support and love.

DogMomRunner: My Mom also suffered from dementia the last 10 years of her life. She passed away at 94, 3 years ago. I feel so connected with her right now; but she jumps up at me, not the confused confrontational person, but the loving mother who made me the woman I am today. (Trust me, there were many times she wasn’t the loving mother, but in hind sight, she did her best). Hang in there and be kind to yourself.

PinkArmor: Thanks for your great explanation of boosts. I will ask on Monday what my plan is. They might have already told me, but I’m often overwhelmed by info. So glad you found out the cause of your side effects. Such an insult to injury. But you are already moving past that with your positive outlook. You are supported in that, with love and strength.

Yndorian1: Thanks for your description of what you do for your skin. It helps so much. I am now, for the first time in many years, looking at the weekend as a relief from daily obligations which dictated my life. Now, this first weekend, has me sleeping past 5:30am, slathered with ointment, braless, with a large tank top crumpled around my waist, watching nonsense TV. I’m not thinking I’m alone with this.

Love and strength throughout the weekend!

• polkadot1
    Options

Tennisgirl1 - You are doing everything right! Taking the weekends to replenish your energy with downtime. We so need it during this treatment. Honestly I can't recommend the aloe vera strongly enough. I too have many aloe plants but way too messy. The pure aloe vera gel is the best. I have the kind of skin that burns quicker than everyone else while in the sun, is thin and very pale, reacts to pressure from clothing etc. so I truly believe the aloe vera is why my skin has held up so good. I have finished 14 of 16 treatments and am barely pink. Now I know this may get worse still but I am very pleased so far. I do also use coconut oil and the lotion they gave me. I alternate the two but the aloe vera is my mainstay.

PinkArmor - I will be thinking of you tomorrow as you have your last treatment...Yay!

UpstateNYer- 3 more to go. We are approaching the finish line!

Yndorian1- Glad you are doing so well and yes the weekends are so nice to take a break for a little extra moisturizing. You'll be done before you know it.

DogMomRunner - That must be frustrating having to signal to your team with the breath holds. Mine told me to move my feet if I needed a break at any time. Thankfully I haven't had to do that and the funny thing is they play really nice music during treatment and one time I actually was about to kind of move my feet to the music and had to stop myself (lol).

Smacken - I hope your headache has subsided. I know hydration is very important during radiation and dehydration can cause headaches. Just a thought but maybe try upping your water intake.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend. Hugs to all!

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

Hi all,

Yndorian1- you are moving right along with your txts. Keep on greasing this weekend. Keeping positive thoughts for you and everyone else in our group.

PinkArmor- so you finish up on Monday? Terrific. I am so sorry about the issue with the thyroid meds. That certainly could have caused your fatigue. Good for you changing pcp's. I also changed pcp's this year and it was the smartest thing I ever did. She directed me to the new clinic for my routine mammogram, and they detected my BC. I am still doing well on anastrozole, hopefully you are too. How was the visit with your mother?

smackan- hope your sn tenderness and headache has subsided. Oh , how I remember the headaches that came with chemo. Nothing I would ever want to relive. I have not had any real se's with rads. I only use the Aquaphor ointment spray that I got as a free sample. My skin is only slightly pink with 3 more to go.

DogMomRunner-is your sn area doing better today? I agree with you about liking my chemo team better than rad people. Although, there is one lady tech, who is not there everyday, who is really very nice. I will miss her, but not the others.😙

Tennisgirl1-not sure why you are experiencing redness around your nipple. If you're getting whole breast rads, then perhaps from the rads? I would ask your RO when you see again. The aquaphor ointment spray is the only thing I use. I got it as a free sample. It is so easy to apply and the spray feels cool and refreshing on my breast. Actually, my RO told me not to moisturize until after rads are complete, as my skin is barely pink. I use it anyway. Thanks so much about your kind words about me. Yes, I also feel the love and support from all of you as well. We are so fortunate to have each other in our journey

Polkadot-2 more to go for you!! I have 3 more, so right behind you, girl. We need to celebrate next week. Sounds like you do a great job of moisturizing too. Glad to hear that the aloe vera gel is working for you.

Thinking of everyone, you are all in my daily prayers. Love and hugs. Pat💞

• PinkArmor
    Options

Hi all. Sitting here thinking tomorrow is my last tx. Happy news but now I have not happy news. Seems the company I work for decided they needed to cut costs and eliminated my job. I am currently unemployed as of this past Fri. They did give a halfway decent severance package. I got 4 wks and they will pay my insurance till Dec 31st. My biggest concern is finding a job that will understand my health situation and time off for appts. New scary territory. I haven't looked for a job in 16 yrs. I am going to take at least a week to get some rest. Makes me regret putting my job before my health.

My visit with Mama was great just too short.

Thanks ladies for listening.

Tomorrow I ring the bell Yay.

Good luck to everyone this week.

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

Pink Armor, I'm sorry about your job... I really don't know what to tell you, I just wanted you to know that I'm here and I understand you (you can't imagine how much)

But you will overcome this too... And you are right, your health is the main thing, and I think it's okay to focus on your healing for the next days (since tomorrow you ring that bell, yeah!)

BIG HUGS TO YOU ❤

• mysticalcity
    mysticalcity Member Posts: 184
    Options

Pink Armor, congrats on ringing the bell. Not sure what type work you do or how long you were at your employer, but if I was you I would at least think about contacting an attorney about your job elimination while undergoing cancer treatment--some components of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may be applicable for you. An attorney may possibly be able to get you longer severance and/or longer continuation of health benefits--which would be worth it.

https://employment-law.freeadvice.com/employment-law/job_discrimination/employee_rights_for_cancer_patients.htm