Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation Sept. 2019

Options

Comments

• thisiknow
    thisiknow Member Posts: 88
    Options

Is there a way to see all our previous posts? I was looking for a post where I asked about mixing some of these lotions like Aquaphor with Coconut oil but I can't find it now.

Anybody know what's the normal ratio of mixing these lotions with Carrier oils?

Thanks

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Member Posts: 551
    Options

Thisiknow: Log out and then enter the menu without opening a session, go to the "search by username" box, enter your nickname and all your data will appear, and below will appear your last posts. I hope the explanation works for you❤

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

Rlws: Congrats!!!!! 🎖🏆🎆🥂 What an emotional moment ring that bell! I'm glad for you ... see you soon there!

• polkadot1
    polkadot1 Member Posts: 46
    Options

rwls-Congratulations on putting this part behind you and ringing that bell! I feel the same as you in that I so appreciate the wonderful support on this forum. Be kind to yourself and enjoy the extra time in your day :

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

Yndorian- 5 more to go!! Glad the boob is doing well.

rlws- congratulations on finishing!! Woo hoo!!

I don't know what I would do without all of you here (and on the other treatment threads). You have made all of this much easier to deal with

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

4/8 boosts done. I am also very grateful for this site, I think I have gone through the treatments without going crazy thanks to all the support here and in the other threads. Thank you!

• PinkArmor
    PinkArmor Member Posts: 51
    Options

Congratulations to those that have graduated! Way to go girls you made it! For those nearing the finish line just keep swimming- the end is in sight.

I have been getting some rest with my impromptu "vacation". A friend is coming to visit for a girls weekend next Sat so I have been trying to do a little house work and straighten up a bit. I went on one job interview. Not sure how it went really- I was interviewed by 4 people at one time. It was a bit intimidating. They are going to call next week for a working interview. We will see.

My skin healed up pretty good. All the stickers finally fell off. Now I have a polka dot boob! I guess I did slightly tan from the rads because you can see where all the circle stickers were. The permanent marker is almost gone. The part on my under arm is still very very dark. I am bit concerned about the moles that are there and wondering how the rads will affect them. My nipple finally peeled and is back to normal color. All in all skin is doing great. I see the RO next Tues for a final visit. My open wounds are still healing. The right is down to .3 cm just barely a pin hole. The left is still 4.3 cm deep and about 1cm wide. But it's healing. Yay!

Hope everyone is doing well and that your skin holds up. Rest and keeping hydrated skin and drinking plenty of water goes along way.

Yndorian1 - so glad you are nearing the end. You have had a long fight.

Everyone thanks so much for the support. You have all been so great.

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

One down

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

Rlws - brilliant! Congratulations on getting through this part of the journey. What’s next for you?

I finished number 10/25 today with no problems to report. Skin is fine, armpit and under upper arm feels a bit stiff and tender but no biggie. Monday is a public holiday here so I have a 3-day weekend coming up. Next rads on Tuesday, however big typhoon hitting tomorrow so battening down the hatches!

Hope everyone else is doing ok. I’m feeling a lot more relaxed. I'm pretty sure my hormones were trying to end me last week! 😅

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

5/8 boosts done today. I am grateful to have two days for my skin to rest.

Pink Armor: Crossed fingers for you to get that job! I'm glad your wounds continue to heal.

Laurencl: Congratulations for starting! I hope your trip is smooth and without SEs.

Pokyspider: ahhh the hormones...😭🥵😡🤪 LOL I'm glad you are more relaxed now.

DogMomRunner: I hope you are doing well.

Have a nice weekend ladies!

• rlws
    rlws Member Posts: 37
    Options

Happy Friday everyone! Give yourselves some rest and relaxation.

I am still having the fatigue but hope not for long. Skin pink but not that bad. My MO told me I could wait till after Rads to start Tamoxifen so I am giving myself the weekend and will start on Monday, not excited about it's SE's but better then having bc again! I seem to have a higher dose then I see other, 20mg, so I may do a week of 10 and then switch to 20mg to lesson immediate issues. I have read night taking is best, any thoughts?

Be good to your self this weekend! I know many are about done, keep it up!!!

• smackan
    smackan Member Posts: 34
    Options

I finished today and got to ring that bell. It was supposed to be happy but I was surprisingly emotional. I am doing this on my own and there was no one there when I rang the bell and really hit me hard. I am sure it’s just the emotions of being done and being so incredibly fatigued so tomorrow will be a better day.

I am nervous to start tamoxifen but that is up next. And because I found out I have a genetic mutation, Chek2, I know start the rounds of other doctors for monitoring (GI oncologist, OB-GYN oncologist, dermatologist, etc) so it won’t be like I am slowing down on appointments.

Hope everyone who is finished is doing well and everything still doing rads stays strong!

• rlws
    Options

Smacken - congrats on ringing the bell! Sorry you felt alone, but know we all have you in our minds and prayers and are with you. It is all emotional, but each day is new and fresh, try to find the happy! I start my Tamoxifen as well, but am waiting till Monday just to give myself a break.

Have a restful weekend.

• dogmomrunner
    Options

PinkArmor- I'm glad that your wounds are healing and that your skin is doing well. Hey maybe Polkadot breasts are a new fashion trend!

Laurencl- yay on getting the first one done!

Pokyspider - glad you get a 3 day weekend. Enjoy it!

rlws - I hope that the SE from the tamoxifen are minimal. Glad you are getting a treatment free weekend!

Yndorian - 5 boosts down! Woo hoo!!

Smackan- congratulations on finishing! And you are wrong - we were all with you (in spirit at least) when you rang that bell!! I'm sorry about the Chek2. I hope you do well with the tamoxifen and any other treatments.

14 down. I got the news that I won't have to hold my breath for the 4 boosts. YAY!!

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

I'm on #9/10 sessions and so far my skin is doing well. I don't have fatigue yet. What I have noticed is some nausea. It happened the first time as I was in Uber. I am prone to car sickness so didn't think anything of it. I noticed the next two days on the subway train that I got nauseated again. During chemo, I did not have nausea. Has anyone else experienced nausea with radiation? I was reading a journal article that said that those with blood type A had more radiation induced nausea. Well, that's me.

• thisiknow
    thisiknow Member Posts: 88
    Options

Yndorian1... thanks for your good instructions! I'm just learning to navigate here and appreciate the help. And congratulations to you for coming to the end of your boosts

• tlbsmith2402
    tlbsmith2402 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Almost same diagnosis exactly, including the Chek2 mutation. May I ask if you also had Mammaprint run? Do you have cancer in your family?

• smackan
    Options

tlbsmith2402, I had Oncotype but not mammaprint. Do you know what benefit that would have. Also, what variation of Chek2 do you have. Mine is I157t

• tennisgirl1
    tennisgirl1 Member Posts: 30
    Options

14/32 Done! Just checking in. I have been really sick with a cold, sore throat, headache...etc. I’ll see the RO tomorrow and will see if he wants me to do anything other than ride it out. I was feeling pretty good, other than normal radiation fatigue, red skin, and nausea. But this cold has totallykicked my butt.

Kamboka: I, too, have nausea. My RO said he hears it occasionally from patients, but it’s not an expected side effect. We are the lucky ones, I guess.

Congratulations to everyone who has finished their treatment!!! I can only imagine your relief and joy having this part over. Yay you!

I’m going back to bed. Positive, strong thoughts to everyone this week. We can do this!

• kamboka
    Options

tennisgirl1: Too bad we both are in the nausea club. I'm glad to know that it was just not me being paranoid. At least you are almost half way done. I really hope you get some rest and start to feel better.

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

Hello everyone! I hope you all are doing well.

Tennisgirl1 and Kamboka, I hope you both get better soon from those nausea...

DogMomRunner: I'm glad you are allowed to breathe during your boosts!

31/33 done today. My skin is healing very well since I started the boosts, but my arm hurts ... I think is a nervous pain.I am surprised that my boosts are several seconds longer than regular rads ... I thought they would be shorter. Well, just only 2 to go.

I hope the graduates are healing, and the newies are dealing with no SEs. ❤

• polkadot1
    polkadot1 Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi Yndorian1! Wow, just 2 more for you! That is so exciting, you are a true warrior and I know you'll be so relieved to be done.

Congratulations Smackan! You were not alone...we were all with you :)

rows - Good luck on starting Tamoxifen. I see my MO on Wednesday and that will be next on the agenda for me as well. I am NOT looking forward to it as I don't tolerate medicine well at all but gotta give it a try.

Thinking of everyone still in treatment and those finished. My skin is fine but I do have tightness and a little numbness under my arm still. I have gone to two lymphatic massage treatments and I think it is helping. I hope so anyway.

Hugs to all!!!

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

rlws - I'm on 20mg of Tamoxifen too. My doc started me on it a week before I had my fist rads so I'm just a month in. I still have quite a few lingering problems from chemo - my good arm is totally screwed from the red devil doing it's worst - veins collapsed and I have deep ridges that twist around my arm. Taste buds are still off and I have the buzzing hands and feet, but the only new symptoms I've noticed have been joint pain in my hands, and I get a little bit queasy in the mornings about an hour or two after breakfast. I take my tamoxifen at 8am so not sure if it's that or the rads. Hot flashes have't gotten any better or worse since chemo put me into menopause in May. I had a horrendous vomit fest during chemo so this is nothing really. I did have a rough couple of weeks emotionally when I finished chemo and started hormone and rads, but I think it was just the anxiety of starting something new. 🤷

• dogmomrunner
    Options

hi everyone!

Kamboka and tennisgirl- I hope the nausea goes away. That sucks that you have to go through that.

Yndorian - yay on only 2 more!

Hi Polkadot! Glad you are doing well!

Pokyspider- wow - you really got it bad with the chemo!

My last hold the breath treatment! This post may look strange because I’m doing it from my phone outside the hospital before treatment. :

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

Hi rads partners! 32/33 done. Tomorrow is my graduation. There is not a bell in my rads center (I don't want it anyway) but there is a stupid PinkOctober decoration with pink balloons and pink bows at the waiting room. I think, since there's no bell, I'm going to ask them to let me blow up all those stupid balloons with a pin... 😋😋😋

I hope you all are doing well. Big hugs❤

• kamboka
    Options

Yndorian1: Wow, so exciting that your graduation day is tomorrow. Can't wait to read how you are feeling afterwards.

• PinkArmor
    PinkArmor Member Posts: 51
    Options

Yndorian1

I am so glad you are finally at the end of the rads. Congratulations! I had a pink cupcake for a celebration- cause pink is my favorite color.

Saw the RO today for the last time. Now it's up to the MO to monitor and do follow ups. Now I guess it's just a waiting game.

Hope everyone continues to do well. Thinking of you all.

• rlws
    Options

Yndorian - congrats last day!!! I hope they let you pop that balloon!

DogRunnerMom - The boosts are so much easier without holding your breath! Congrats on getting there, almost done!!!

pokyspider - thanks for input about Tamoxifen, wow, you started all things together. I have spaced it out which I am grateful for. I did start the 20mg right away. I see MO first week of December to check on things

PinkArmor - good to hear from you. The waiting game, I try not to think about it too much!

I have my check up with RO, when it has been 5 weeks since rads, so not till mid Nov. My skin is doing well, a little pink. Still have some aches in rads area but all and all good. Still feeling the fatigue but hope by end of next week it will subside.

Hoping SE's are minimal for the end of the treatment! thinking of all of you!

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

I'M JUST DONE!!!!!!🍾🥂🎆🎖

There was no bell for me, but I didn't need it ... it's weird but it wasn't emotional at all, like a normal rads day. I guess I still can't believe it.

Thanks to all of you, my September rads group partners, it was all easier thanks to your support!!!

I wish you a nice day without SEs!❤❤❤

• smackan
    Options

Congrats Yndorian1!!!!! 🎉. You were the true warrior of this group. I am so glad you are finished!

I am 5 days out and was surprised to have an itchy rash pop up, I knew they said it would get worse before better but I thought I had escaped that since I didn’t have one when I ended. The fatigue continues but overall it was easier than I thought it would be.

I am starting Tamoxifen next week at 20 mg. My MO didn’t offer ramping up so I will see how that goes. It’s weird to be done and just onto maintenance after so many months of this occupying all aspects.

Thinking of you all and continuing with minimal SE’s