Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation Sept. 2019

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• tennisgirl1
    tennisgirl1 Member Posts: 30
    Options

29/31 Done! Almost to the finish line. I realize I've been miscounting treatments. My last one on Monday will be 31.

pokyspider: That was exactly what I needed to read! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I really don't know why I'm having such a hard time now with the fatigue and nausea. I stopped all my walking, except the 6 flights of stairs to and from treatment. The nausea is very manageable, but the fatigue is crazy. My arms and legs are heavy and my mind is foggy. I'm usually the one who gets through rough stuff like a champ, with minimal side effects. I just don't know why this is now kicking my butt. It's been a bit of a roller coaster for me.

My appointment with the nutritionist was cancelled by her, last minute, yesterday. Not happy with that.

My skin is better since they started the boosts to spare the whole breast from becoming more compromised. I only have two more treatments, then DONE! I ordered “Breakfast for a Crowd", from Einstein's Bagels to be delivered to the Radiation Department, Monday, my last day. I can't do enough for those angels who have made my treatments pleasant. Every single one of them has been supportive, loving and professional throughout.

I'm interested to hear about others experiencing this crazy fatigue. I knew to expect it, and after chemo, I thought I'd be prepared to handle it easier. I'm usually not a whiner, and I'm not comfortable with it at all!

I'm so happy for those of you who are doing well. Keep posting your encouraging experiences. To those who are struggling, hang in there, you are not alone, and this too, shall pass. We are strong and will be whole again, in mind, body and spirit.

• mysticalcity
    mysticalcity Member Posts: 184
    Options

Pokyspider that is great--so spot on!

• martaj
    martaj Member Posts: 307
    Options

Pokyspider that is right on!!!!

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

Tennisgirl1- An early congrats to you on finishing rads on Monday. Glad to hear that your skin is better doing the boosts. How kind is to provide breakfast bagels to your rads team. So happy they were so nice to you. I don't know what to say about you still exhibiting nausea and fatigue. I experienced neither during rads, but I only had 16 txts. When I had fatigue during chemo, although hard, I pushed myself to be more active and that actually seemed to help me through. I will pray for you that these symptoms will subside for you soon. And again, an early congrats🎉 to you. Will you be ringing the bell?

Pat👍💕

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

Yay tennisgirl! The fatigue didn't really get me like it did with chemo. But I took a couple weekend off after the end of chemo and did nothing. And I mean nothing. I slept in, ate meals that were easy to fix, read books and watched movies. After that I started back up to my old routine. With the exception of the running. I've got to figure out how to cushion my port with my sports bras.

But I'm glad that nausea is under control and that you are near the end. Congratulations!

• rlws
    rlws Member Posts: 37
    Options

Congrats tennisgirl! Today is your day, enjoy ringing the bell!!!!

• tennisgirl1
    tennisgirl1 Member Posts: 30
    Options

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I gonged that gong once for every week of treatment! Then my 2 year old grandson gave it a good gong too. It was truly an emotional moment. I turned around and the whole radiation department had lined up against the wall to watch and then gave me a hug. I am so glad I decided to do the gong and have my family there. I'm glad I didn't minimize it, and I celebrated it, along with the team, for what it is.

I have an appointment in a week with my MO for my AI consult, then in two weeks with my RO for a skin check. In the mean time, I'm sleeping in and enjoying not having a schedule.

I hope you all are well and for those still in treatment, I wish you no/minimal side effects and the strength to carry on. My love and best wishes.

• UpstateNYer
    Options

Congrats, Tennisgirl1!! 🎉You did it! So happy for you. I am sure that gonging was cathartic for you. Enjoy that time you have for yourself now. Good luck with your upcoming MO appt. I am still doing great on arimidex. Hope you will too. Pat👍

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

That’s fantastic! Congratulations tennisgirl1!
    My last session is tomorrow and half of me can’t wait while the other is dreading it. No gong’s at my hospital and no gifts allowed so it’ll have to be hugs all round. Can’t describe how incredibly kind the staff have been to me. I’ll really miss seeing them every day.

They finally gave me some moisturizer and cream for itching today, but actually my skin has had very little reaction so far which is amazing since I wasn’t allowed to put anything on the treatment area other than just water and gel ice packs since starting. Just a bit pink and itchy but really not that bad at all.

My next appointments will be in January, one with the endocrinologist for a check up on my adrenal gland lump (non-functioning tumor was found last year during initial diagnosis CT for breast cancer along with a nodule in my thyroid, because breast cancer seemingly wasn’t enough to be dealing with! Offending half of my thyroid was removed after my mastectomy and the adrenal glad issue is just being observed with an annual CT), and then my 3-month check up with my MO. They’ve written me off work until January too so I can relax until then and try to figure out the new normal.

Gentle hugs to you all.

x

• polkadot1
    polkadot1 Member Posts: 46
    Options

Congrats Tennisgirl1! How wonderful to have your family there for the big moment. So glad you are done and can rest without a schedule!

Pokyspider - Yay, you are almost done too! That is truly amazing your skin has done so well without moisturizer during treatment. So interesting the different protocols in that regard. It sounds like you definitely have a lot on your plate next year so definitely enjoy your time off. That will be so nice to have and to really give your body time to heal.

i am still doing very well...no real changes 5 weeks out from radiation. Finally getting ready to start Tamoxifen. I delayed a bit due to a huge 5 day work function i had to attend and didn't want to be dealing with potential side effects. But no excuses anymore :)

Gentle hugs to all!!

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Congratulations tennisgirl!! I'm glad your family got to be there.

Yay to pokyspider on your last day!! I am also amazed that your skin held up without having any lotions or moisturizers to use.

Nice to see everyone. I still have a brown nipple and some spots where the stickers were but no burns. I'm still getting zingers from the SNB site and the breast but so far everything is good

• rlws
    Options

Congrats Pokyspider on last day!!!

My skin got worse over the weekend, three weeks from radiation ending. I have some burn spots where the boost was. I think I caused it by skipping lotion one morning, lesson learned! Definitely encourage you all to keep using the lotion as this is strange for me. It is in boost spot and around my nipple area. I am more diligent now with my lotion! I have had some major itching too. I guess this rads lasts a long time!

Polkadot1 - good luck with your Tamoxifen! I have finished 3 weeks, started a few days after rads so some effects do not what they are due to.

Have a great rest of the week everyone!!!

• pokyspider
    Options

Thanks girls! Free at last!!

Have to admit there were some tears saying goodbye to the radiation crew. Took me a while to get myself together enough to leave. The head nurse was off yesterday but had written me a note in English (I'm in Japan but my Japanese is embarrassingly bad), telling me to come in and ask for her if I had any trouble at all and to make sure to visit when I'm in the hospital next time. So sweet. Rads doc gave me some steroid cream yesterday just in case any sore spots flare up. She said my skin was looking good so far but that it could deteriorate over the next 2 weeks or so before getting better. Was told to use the moisturizing lotion from yesterday and she also gave me other cream for itching, so I think I'm pretty well covered.

rlws - sorry to hear your skin flared up. Did they give you anything other than lotion? I had temporary tattoo transfers instead of stickers so they just wash off eventually and I was told not to try to scrub anything off, but to let it fade with gentle washing.

Won't know what to do with this new found freedom but I'm going to try to get as much exercise in as I can, building up slowly. It was November 7th last year that I had my first appointment to get the lump checked out. Exactly 365 days... wow, what a year.

• P3084
    P3084 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi all,

I stumbled onto this group as I was searching for answers to my thousands of questions about breast cancer. I was diagnosed with IDC in October. During pre-op they discovered 3 spots in addition to the original tumor (DCIS). They attempted to remove everything during lumpectomy in November. They didn’t get it all. Had painful hematoma which is mostly resolved. I just scheduled a re-excision for next week. Still waiting on oncotest results. Expect radiation and tamoxifen in Jan. I’ve been upbeat and downplaying events for my kids and family. I rest on my faith but when I’m alone and quiet, it’s hard. That’s my story so far.

I wanted to share because I was so encouraged by reading all of your posts in this group PinkArmor, DogMomRunner, Pokyspider, rlws, UpstateNYer, tennisgirl1, etc...YOU all inspire me! I’m less afraid because of you. So thank you!!

I’ve never posted on anything and don’t even use social media. I hope this message gets to you all! 😀

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Dear P3084,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry for you diagnosis and what brought you here but so very glad that you reached out to share your story and your desire to connect with our members. We hope that you will find support and connection here. Please PM us if there is anything we can do to help you to stay active and find the help that you need.

The Mods

• UpstateNYer
    Options

hi P3084,

People seem to have stopped posting regularly on this thread. Please feel free to private message me. I have been through it all. Had 2 tumors, High onco score, 3 surgeries, IORT, chemo, radiation. All can be quite daunting. You certainly go through all of the gamuts of emotion. You will be strong, you will get through. We do what we need to do. Take everything one step at a time. Blessings to you. You will be in my prayers. Take good care, Pat💞

• pokyspider
    Options

Hi there P3084. Sorry to hear about your situation. I had IDC with a 2 cm tumor so initially I was going to have a lumpectomy but them 2 more small areas were found on further imaging so I had to have a mastectomy. Didn't see any lymph node infiltration until I was in surgery and ended up having to go the whole hog - surgery, chemo, radiation and now hormone therapy. I think most of the members have moved on to other forums since finishing radiation but If you'd like to PM me any time I'd be more than happy to listen. Sometimes it's hard talking to family and friends about cancer when there's a million things flying through your mind. I'm here for you any time. x

• dogmomrunner
    Options

I have not been posting on this thread but I'm still here! Still getting some treatment. P3084- welcome! There are threads that are ongoing like the Lumpectomy surgery thread in the surgery section and others post about tamoxifen and other anti-hormonal medications (and their effects) under the Hormonal therapy section. I hope that you look at those sections because there are a lot of posters that can answer questions or concerns you might have. I hope you, and pokyspider and UpstateNYer are doing well

• UpstateNYer
    Options

hi DogMomRunner and pokyspider,

Thinking of you and all of the people from this forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I am reading Dr. Susan Love's book , The Breast Book. I found some info in there regarding possible side effects after rads. I read that the pectoral muscles under the breast can be affected by rads and possibly cause widespread pain 3-6 months after completion of rads. This is because the damaged muscle is regenerating. This is something my RO never told me about. So far, so good for me, but I am not 3 months out yet either. Hoping this won't cause a problem for anyone. Not trying to scare anyone, but I feel it's good to share that info.

Hope everyone has a happy holiday season. Been such a rough year for us. Hoping for a healthy and happy 2020. God Bless. Pat 💞

• pokyspider
    Options

Hi ladies.
    Oh! Good to know about the pec pain. It's almost a year since I had surgery but it's still tender across my chest, especially across the pec muscle. I've also been having problems with my 'chemo arm'. I had so may collapsed veins and scorching that it now looks and feels like a twisted towel. I've got some new cording too. Hoping it'll get better with time as it's especially sensitive in cold weather. I've been going to a weekly class for people with lymphedema or arm issues, run by pink ribbon. We do stretches using exercise balls and they do lymph massage with oils. They have also shown me exercises to do at work to keep my surgery side active and avoid lymphedema.

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Wow pokyspider! Do you wear a compression sleeve

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

I get little tinges of pain. I was told that was a good thing, nerve endings coming back

• pokyspider
    Options

No, I don’t wear a compression sleeve. This is supposed to be my ‘good’ side! Lol. It isn’t lymphedema, not swollen at all. Just feels like the tissue is all hard and bumpy. Pretty sure it’s damage from chemo leaking into my arm, so there really isn’t anything that can be done other than giving it time.

• pokyspider
    Options

Happy New Year ladies!!!
    Here's to 2020 being a little kinder to us all. Love and peace.

x
    Ann

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Same to you pokyspider! Happy New Year

• UpstateNYer
    Options

Happy New Year to my September Rads friends. Hoping 2020 is healthy and kind to us all.

Pat💕

• rlws
    Options

Happy New Year to all! Cheers to Health, Happiness and Blessings.

In all remember each day is a blessing and live life to the fullest!

Thank you all for helping me through 2019, I do not think I would have been able to do it without you.

robyn

• martaj
    Options

I had my first radiation today. So far okay, using creams they recommended. Last week had fitting and such. 5 small tattoos. Looking at 6 weeks, M-

• redhead403
    redhead403 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Martaj

There is a thread for March radiation that is quite active. https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topics/875532?post_id=5528788

• martaj
    Options

Thanks