Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation Sept. 2019

Options

Comments

• rlws
    rlws Member Posts: 37
    Options

PinkArmor - Congrats on tomorrow being the day you ring the bell! So sorry about the job though, it is good that you are going to recover and then look. Many ways to on the internet to search, good luck.

DogRunnerMom - I think about you when I hold my breath and cannot imagine just holding up a finger, praying for it to go well next week.

Tennisgirl- glad things are going well so far! Keep up the lotion, whatever works and the RO is there to check and help!

UpstateNy - almost at the end! That is awesome!

smacken - every day is a victory that you get through, I had soreness with my sn area as well in the beginning and when my skin rubs, despite the heat I am wearing shirts that make it not rub!

The weekend seems to help my skin but I am still so tired! Went to bed at 8:30 last night, got exhausted taking my 21 year old daughter out to dinner for her bday and slept 10 hours only to take a nap for 1.5 hours at 9:30am. Not myself but this too shall pass. Glad it was the weekend and was able to.

I am done 12 of 20, so big week for me to finish the whole breast and move on to the boost part.

Hope everyone had a restful weekend. Stay strong, have faith and take care of yourselves.

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

tennisgirl - we have the same number down but you will have more to go than me. I am using aloe and the Aquaphor. So far I'm doing ok with it. I work with people with dementia and of course worry about what's to come for my mom. It's tough to see them change isn't it? 😔

Good for you Polkadot! Two to go!

Hi UpstateNYer!

PinkArmor - I am sorry to hear about the job. That is really insensitive of them to do this now. Maybe mysticalcity is right about checking with a lawyer. When we lived in Athens, I worked at the vet school. I don't know what type of work you do but maybe you could get a job at UGA. I know how it feels to try to get back out there coming out of a long term job. It's scary. I'm with Yndorian, not sure what I can do but keeping y fingers crossed that it works out

Hi Yndorian!

Hi rlws- that's great that you are moving on to the boost part. I will have 16 whole breast and then 4 boost. Found that out Friday

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

PinkArmor- So sorry to hear about the job loss, but very happy about your finishing with txt. tomorrow. Hoping that you will find an even better job looking forward. There will be brighter days ahead for you. I will keep you in my prayers.

Hello back at you DogMomRunner- Hope you will have a good week doing rads.

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

Hey all! I'm sitting in the hospital cafe waiting for my first of 25 rads appointments. Feeling pretty chilled about it to be honest - chemo sucked so this has to be easier. Had a good weekend, I live in Japan (I'm Irish) so everyone is rugby world cup crazy at the moment. Brought my son down to one of the large screenings for Japan v Ireland on Saturday. Had a blast (even though Ireland lost!😱).

Anyway, hope you're all going well. I'm having breast, lymph nodes and collar bone zapped in about 20 mins so fingers crossed for minimal SEs.

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Member Posts: 551
    Options

Hi pokyspider! I'm sorry you are having rads but I'm glad you joined us! I'm having breast, lymph nodes and collar bone too. I hope your first app went well. Hugs to you ❤

Good morning there! This weekend the skin of my breast and armpit seemed to get worse quickly. Burning, itching and redness. Luckily I only have 5 total left, then 8 boosts. My collar bone is incredibly fine, I thought it was the first thing that would burn.

"We don't have to be brave, we just have to show up"

Good start to the week for everyone ❤

• Jcscbrown
    Jcscbrown Member Posts: 6
    Options

I am starting radiation treatment today, 4 weeks 5 days a week. I am so nervous and scared about the Burns. I have aquaphor and me miaderm.

Any advice is appreciated.

• PinkArmor
    PinkArmor Member Posts: 51
    Options

Jcscbrown- It's ok to be nervous but don't let it get to you too much. For the most part the burns are rare. I am pale as a ghost and burn so easily. But all so far that has happened is my nipple got a sunburn, turned black and is now peeling. The rest just turned kind of a tan color and freckled real bad. The skin gets irritable and will get itchy but as long as you use a moisturizer all is good. The key is to keep the skin moisturized all day everyday and you will be good. You are going to do fine! The 4 weeks will fly by and before you know it you will be done. Just remember to rest when you can and keep hydrated. Lots of water helps your skin too.

Good luck and let us know how you are.

• PinkArmor
    Options

I RANG THE BELL! - I must say I didn't think it would be such an awesome moment but it was. I got a graduation certificate as well! I loved my techs they were all so nice and so careful with me. I have been so blessed in the care I have gotten with all my medical folks. They did warn me again that the rad tx is cumulative and the SE could go on for up to 10 days. I have a follow up appt in 2 wks. Skin is still about the same, still touchy at the top and towards the arm pit. Nipple is peeling and almost back to normal color. So all in all good.

So as far as job goes- I am taking it as it's all for the better. The place was toxic and what kind of company lays off a person going thru cancer txs. Is that some place I really want to stay anyway? I do have 1 lead for a job already- so fingers crossed. I just know that this all has to be for the best and God has something better out there for me. I am going to take the 4 weeks and just rest like I should have in the first place.

For those heading into the end zone- good luck hope the last few go great and you get to ring the bell- in reality or metaphorically.

For those in the middle but can see the light at the end of the tunnel- just keep swimming. It won't be much longer.

For those starting - please remember to take care of yourself during this time. You are most important right now.

Ladies - you all are amazing and most precious to me. Thanks for listening. I am going to stick around and see how you all are doing and maybe follow you into October. Do one nice thing for yourselves today- you deserve it!

• smackan
    smackan Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi everyone,

I had 6/16 this morning and no real side effects effects yet except for getting a little tired in the afternoons. I ended up with what must have been a stomach bug ll weekend so that must have been why I had a headache. All good now. This week started a new group of techs for me- I miss my old group, they could line me up in a second!

Is anyone doing treatments in the prone position? After talking with so many ladies over the last two weeks, I am convinced that there are less skin effects with this method. I learned that at our center, if you had a lumpectomy you are in prone position (and no holding breath for left side) and if you had mastectomy you are on your back (and do the breath holding for left side). I have not saw anyone with skin issues yet for prone position but that could be just a coincidence.

Welcome to the new September members! And congrats to PinkArmor for being the first of our group done.

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

PinkArmor: yeeeeaaaahhhhh!!!!🔔🔔🔔 Congrats to our first graduate! 🎖Keep taking care of that boobie ❤

Jcscbrown, I'm sorry you have to be here, but welcome to the thread.

21/33 to me today, too much sleepy to remember all your names, but I hope you all are doing well. Good night ladies!

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Welcome pokyspider- sorry about the Irish loss. I hope your zap went well!

Yndorian- I'm sorry that your skin took a turn for the worse. Hopefully it will get better this week.

Welcome Jcscbrown- I am doing 20 treatments also. It's easy to say don't worry but the rad team will walk you through it. With the BC on your right side, you don't have to hold your breath!

Woo hoo PinkArmor! Congrats on ringing the bell. I hope you find a much better, kinder job.

Hi smackan- that's interesting about prone vs supine position for rad treatment. I wonder why they do it that way.

I saw one of the ROs after treatment. He seemed a bit odd, like he is scared of patients or something. The whole place is a bit odd

• UpstateNYer
    Options

welcome pokyspider- Doing rads is heads over tails better than chemo. You will do great👍. How did it go today?

Yndorian1-hoping that the itching, burning and redness has subsided for you.

Jcscbrown- you should do great. How did it go today?

PinkArmor- Big ((hugs)) and congratulations on ringing that bell. So very happy for you, and yes, God does have a plan for you. I know you will find an even better job. Glad that you will be able to have 4 weeks rest. I guess that everything happens for a reason.

Smackan- glad your headache went away. I had lumpectomy and all of my txts are in the supine position. Not sure if anyone is in prone position at my center. Hoping that you won't experience se's moving forward.

DogMomRunner-Funny about what you said about your RO acting fearful of patients. Wonder why someone like that would enter that field? Some of my techs are very odd. But there is one who is absolutely wonderful. I will really miss her.

Polkadot- Let us know how you do tomorrow.. Will you be ringing that bell?

Two more for me!! I will completed on Wednesday. Wooohoooo!!

• rlws
    Options

Congrats on ringing the bell PinkArmor! Glad you are going to take needed rest as well.

Those just starting good luck and hope minimal SE's! Lots of lotion and drink plenty of water! Also listen to your body and rest when you can. Weekends are great for that!

UpStateNY - excited for you to ring bell tomorrow! Congrats.

Smackan - I have not heard of the prone position at my clinic. I am on my back holding breath.

I had number 13 of 20 yesterday, so on the downward which is good. Skin pink and a bit irritated bu okay. Some zingers and still very tired in afternoon. But overall not bad!

Have a great Tuesday, Happy October!

• polkadot1
    polkadot1 Member Posts: 46
    Options

PinkArmor - Woo Hoo for you! I know you must be so glad to be finished with this part and not have to drive to treatment every day. I am anxious to join you after my treatment this afternoon. My friends have been sending me the sweetest messages and it makes me quite emotional. I told them I am going to ring the hell out of that bell!

UpstateNYer - Only two more for you too! The graduates list grows :)

Yndorian1 - I so hope your skin is improving or at least not getting any worse. You are truly getting close to the finish line!

rlws, DogMomRunner, smackan, - I am thinking of all of you too and sending hugs as we knock the number of treatments down one by one.

Pokyspider, Jcscbrown - I am sorry you have had to join us but we are all here for support as you begin your treatments as well.

Blessings to all!

• polkadot1
    Options

🔔🔔🔔 Woo hoo!!!

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

Polkadot1: Congrats! I hope that bell has been heard loud and clear! 🥂🍾

Today was 22/33 for me. I have the dubious honor of being the first to start and the last to finish ... Bawling

Ok, I'm a completely cry baby today.

DogMom, Smackan, rlws, Jcscbrown, pokyspider, UpstateNYer, tennisgirl, I hope you all are doing well. HUGS ❤❤❤

• PinkArmor
    Options

PolkaDot- way to go! Yay for you! Didn't it feel great. Such a small thing with so much meaning.

Yndorian1 - I wish I could speed it up for you. Soon you will be ringing the metaphorical bell!

UpstateNYer - ring that bell tomorrow! Good luck.

SO-- today was bad. Today the itching has been horrendous. Hydrocortisone cream is not doing it. If it's like this tomorrow I may have to ask for a script cream. Even the part of my breast that doesn't have feeling when I touch it - is itching. Go figure. Alot of zingers last night. Guess they were right when they said it keeps on after they stop the rad txs. Word of wisdom- for those with stickers and markers- do not remove the stickers. Let them fall off. Even if they start to peel don't help them just let it happen. One of mine started coming off and I help it. It hurt and left a mark that is now very sore. They warned me. But I thought since it was peeling off it was ok. Don't peel it off- let it fall off.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow. Remember to hydrate- plenty of water and keep up the skin care. That made a big difference for me. I never burned just pinked up and then turned brown and freckled. Rest - in hindsight I should have done much more of that.

Have a great hump day tomorrow.

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

Pink Armor: I'm sorry, I didn't include you in my greeting! I guess I already think of you as a graduate ... I'm sorry you are experiencing itching and burning, I hope it gets better soon ❤

• smackan
    Options

Today was 7/16 for me! Nothing new on with rads, holding up well.

However, on the right non-cancer side, my incision opened up today -very small hole so far but I never had incision issues on this side. This is the side with the large hematoma so I am worried that the pressure inside is doing this but who knows. Maybe it’s just a stitch trying to come out. Time will tell.

PinkArmor- sorry the itching has started and is uncomfortable.

Yndorian1- I am sorry you have the first and last honor, I do feel for you! But you are a rock star.

Polka dot- congrats on being done!

Rlws, DogMomRunner and everyone else- thinking of you all.

Sorry if I missed anyone- I don’t want to leave anyone out as each and everyone of you is important and I think of you all! 💗💗💗

• pokyspider
    Options

So it looks like the way things are done seem a little different out here in Japan. For starters, I'm not allowed to put anything at all on the treatment area, that includes moisturizer or body wash of any kind. Water only. If and when I need something they will give it to me. All seems fine at the moment after 3 sessions but I'm a bit concerned as I have very fair sensitive skin and burn very easily.

No tattoos. Instead we get those temporary ones that transfer with water. They're actually pretty tough! I do get the purple marker though and they touch up the lines every day after I've had my rads. My chest looks like a 2 year old has been let lose with a magic marker on It!

I'm having 25 sessions but #14 will be a higher dose and take twice as long. I think this is because of 2 public holidays which will mean 2 x 4-day treatment weeks.
    My usual routine is to get changed into a gown, then I see the radiation oncologist every day and he checks the treatment area. Next I go to the treatment room and assume the position(!), then zapped, and finally my markings are touched up a bit.

Number 3 done today. 22 to go...

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

23/33 today. Has it happened to someone to be too emotional during the treatment? Today I cried just because I needed to change the morning rads schedule and they told me they couldn't do it ... Of course they changed it, but I kept crying all the time while my rads lasted. They hugged me ... what a shame!

• polkadot1
    Options

Yndorian1- Oh my goodness YES! I have wondered if I was the only one that got super emotional during rads. It happened to me on more than one occasion for the smallest things and I am normally not that emotional at all. Hugs to you this morning. I know you are feeling the strain of so many treatments. Keep pampering yourself and taking good care of YOU!

PinkArmor - Yes, the bell ringing was a surreal feeling. It was so nice this morning to get ready and know I get to just go to work and come straight home afterwards. I am sorry your skin is acting up at this point but I will heed the warning that I am not out of the woods yet and to keep vigilant with my skin routine.

UpstateNYer - Good luck on your final treatment day. Celebrating with you as you ring that bell!

• GiddyupGirl
    GiddyupGirl Member Posts: 196
    Options

Yndorian - Sending you a really big cyber hug - getting emotional is okay this whole journey is exhausting and scary - just two more weeks to go and you're done. Glad the techs were nice to you about it.

PolkaDot - congrats on being finished. Saw My RO this week for my six week post checkup and he told me to keep moisturising once a day although my skin is tanned and only itchy but he said give it another month or two cause rads does keep on giving. Get that script no need to be itchy scatchy.

Best wishes to all and hope you all have great skin and minimal side effects.

• UpstateNYer
    Options

Hi all, I had my final treatment today, but was not offered a "bell ringing". I did see a gong on a table in the waiting room area where we sit in our gowns before rads are given. Wonder if that is what they should have offered me to "ring". No matter, I am just so happy to be finished with rads. Made a friend there too. She is an older lady who is going through more treatments than me. We exchanged numbers to keep in touch. I brought the staff donuts and some blueberry muffins for my friend. To those of you still taking txt, you will get there eventually.

Hugs to you yndorian1- the only time I got really emotional was during chemo txts. That was a much more challenging time for me. Hope the rest of your txts. go well for you and your skin is holding up.

PinkArmor- so sorry that you are still experiencing skin issues. My techs removed my stickers today. So far, so good. I hope you will be able to get a script for the itching you are experiencing.

Thinking of the rest of our group as well today, Smackan, DogMomRunner, rlws, Polkadot, pokyspider, Tennisgirl, Jcscbrown. Hope you are all doing well.

• PinkArmor
    Options

Yndorian1= so sorry. Big hug for you. I too would get emotional for apparently no reason. It's all the extra we are going thru'. A good cry never hurt anything.- it's a great stress reliever. And bless your heart- you've had it longer than any of us. You are almost there.

smackan- Just keep an eye on the open place. Mine started with a pin hole and became much more.

The itching wasn't bad earlier today but now in the last couple of hours is not responding again to the cream. Didn't want to have to bother the clinic but I may have no choice. Not sure if the zingers are rad related or just from the reduction surgery as well. I don't seem to have recovered as quickly as I thought I would. I may have gone back to work to soon. It's all hindsight now- who knows.

Yndorian1, Smackan, DogMomRunner, rlws, Polkadot, pokyspider, Tennisgirl, Jcscbrown - Hope you are all doing well.

Have a great day tomorrow ladies - Do something nice for yourself. I got myself a giant cupcake with pink frosting! It was so good!

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Congrats UpstateNYer on the last treatment! I think they have a bell at my place but not sure. Too bad you didn't have a bell or something. Maybe a big tumor piñata that you could smack the heck out of.

rlws- Woo hoo! Only 7 more to go! I'm glad the SE are minimal.

Congrats Polkadot on finishing the treatments! Glad you got to ring the bell!

Yndorian- HeartI wish that you had fewer treatments. I haven't gotten emotional at the rad place but chemo didn't me in a couple of times. You are doing SO well! You've got this!

PinkArmor - thanks for the advice about the stickers. I am very much the type of person to just pull them off. I hope the itching gets better soon!

Hi smackan- I'm on #7 also. I hope the incision holds up and you don't have any further issues with it.

Hi pokyspider- congrats on having number 3 under your belt!

Thanks for the encouragement GiddyupGirl!

I'm a tiny bit pink. I am also getting some of the armpit/SNB zingers. My husband is out of town so I get to do all the pets in the morning. Going to be a very early morning so hope everyone has a good night

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement girls, you are simply extraordinary! You have made this whole experience much easier for me. Thank you! I hope you are doing well. Good night rads partners, sleep well... 😴😴😴

• pokyspider
    Options

Yndorian1 - Phew! Glad I'm not the only emotional one! 🤪
    Recently the slightest bit of kindness sets me off. Not sure if it has something to do with the hormone therapy but I'm feeling quite anxious about finishing active treatment. I've had 2 major surgeries (mastectomy and thyroid lobectomy), 6 months of chemo, and now hormone therapy and rads, but it's the next part that scares me most. I guess we just go back to work and get on with our lives, but constantly looking over our shoulder?
    It's 1 year this month since I found the lump. When I think about my life BL (before lump😉), I don't recognize myself, physically or mentally.

Urgh... I'm having one days.😕

• rlws
    Options

Pokyspider - hope your day gets better! One day at a time. You are having such a long journey! Just know you are becoming a much stronger woman for all you are going through! Prayers coming your way

UpStateNY - Congrats on being done! Sorry no bell but being finished is wonderful. Hope the SE's stay away!

Dogrunnermom- hope the pets behave so you do not have too much stress! And skin holds up!

Ydorian1 - emotions are a part of this battle! I have had many since my diagnosis, no matter what I do. Every day as I wait to get my rads, I have some anxiety of not being able to hold my breath and find myself in the bathroom 2 times in the 15 minutes I am waiting. We all have some, just keep fighting! You have this!

PinkArmor - thanks for advice about stickers, because I have been thinking how I cannot wait to rip them off. Got 5 more to get ready for my boosts. I have a steroid cream doc gave that helps with the itching. I had the reduction as well but find the zingers feel different now with the rads, but who knows. I think it is a sign that body is working and fighting so ...

Hope everyone else has a great day!

I finished my regular treatments yesterday and this afternoon I start my boosts. I feel very excited to have something different because that means I am near the end. 5 boosts to go and then the famous bell. The woman that goes before me is one day ahead, so I think I will watch her ring the Bell to see it.

Stay positive and take care of yourselves today!!

• smackan
    Options

Had #9/16 today so past the halfway point. Everything still going well, no real skin effects just pink. Yesterday was massage day after rads so that is my favorite day

Congrats UpstateNY on being done.

I can’t wait until we all graduate and we can have a virtual celebration.

Thinking positive thoughts for all of you