Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2020 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Dyonsphere - I was told a lumpectomy with radiation has the same outcome as mastectomy. That's what I had in 2009. It's only because I have a new primary that I'm having a mastectomy because they can't radiate twice. If your tumour is small, a lumpectomy is a good option if that's what your surgeon recommends.

• watersong
    watersong Member Posts: 6
    Options

Dyonsphere - Grappling with the same issue here. My genetics are in butthe SND results won’t be available until after deciding on a surgical path which seems backwards.

• dysonsphere
    dysonsphere Member Posts: 134
    Options

I feel like I would rather just have bilateral mastectomy/reconstruction without radiation. My BS indicated the down time was the issue but I don't mind missing work. I have short term disability so that is the least of my worries. I don't want radiation or chemo if I can at all help it. I know my body will heal from a surgery. Not so sure about the long term effects of radiation and chemo.

• sugar77
    Options

Dyonshere - I asked and my surgeon also said no. In hindsight, I wouldn’t be facing this again a decade later if he’d agreed. I’d push for it as long as you are comfortable.

• flowerkid
    flowerkid Member Posts: 83
    Options

Thanks so much for this group whether to vent or read others stories it somehow feels supportive and I am having a hard time accepting reality - part fear of recovery and largely fear of living without my breast. Currently that feels insurmountable. I know it is a mindset...also bummed about having to wear a sling and sounds like I can hardly leave the house!

I am scheduled for single mastectomy with lymph node removal in early January. .

Diagnosis; triple positive. Already had chemo. Tolerated relatively well.

Can't afford a recliner so I will be counting on pillows and such .

Clothing- I was told I need larger clothing than my norm, so looking for some big flannels and caridigans for daytime when it is cold! And a short sleeve button down for nights, as I tend to get warm at night .

If anyone is looking:

Pinkpockets.com seems reasonable and may help with drains. I haven't ordered them though. Also, a nurse suggested just buying a tool apron at Lowe's..

• Rose14
    Rose14 Member Posts: 7
    Options

I'm having a lumpectomy on January 8th. Also having a D&C at the same time to rule out uterine cancer. I'm not sure which one I'm more nervous about. My mother had uterine cancer and had the same symptoms I'm having. . Post menopausal bleeding. I certainly don't want to deal with two cancers at once.

• squatchmama
    squatchmama Member Posts: 16
    Options

Flowerkid thanks for the info on the tool belt. If I could sew I would and start giving away these items that can be so expensive! I'll be joining you with the pillows! 😉

One thing I want to impress upon you all. If you are not being helped or "heard" by your care team do not stop speaking out and asking for clarification. I'm not going to take the time or space to explain where this is coming from just that I have experienced it and read about it all over the boards. There is nothing wrong with us wanting and needing help. Listen to your body and you intuition! ASK ASK ASK!

💖

• HangryMama
    HangryMama Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi all, thank you Sugar77 for starting group. I am pretty new to the community so still learning the abbreviations so bare with me. So very happy to have some fellow fighters to talk and share with. I just finished neo adjuvant chemo on 12/23 that was the longest 5 months 16 treatments in all, and boy am I tired. My oncologist just started me on Tamoxifen this past Monday, and I am supposed to have DMX on 1/24 waiting on the scheduler to confirm. I am also having the nuclear mapping prior to surgery too, so pretty nervous about it all. It seems like this crazy train just keeps on running. Trying to figure out what preparations need to be made in advance as I know it will be here before I know it. I too saw the Pink Pockets but have not ordered them yet. I will also be going flat. Curious if anyone else is?

• squatchmama
    Options

Hangrymama - Welcome. So sorry you have to be here but if you have to go through this this is the place to be. Wow. You have been battling before surgery. No wonder you are tired! I am sending healing and uplifting prayers to you for energy! I am having a unilateral mastectomy on Monday and I am not reconstructing. I just couldnt find it in me to go through more surgeries going forward. I am nervous enough about this one. That, age and autoimmune disease were factors for me going flat. And small breasts to begin with. I don't think I will feel lopsided but time will tell. One thing I notice about me and making my decisions I go back and forth many times until I finally settle and decide. I hope you hear from scheduler soon so you have a goal.

Sugar77- 💖Did you get your date yet?

• KillerRack1978
    KillerRack1978 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I’m having a complete bilateral mastectomy with expanders 1/8/20. 

I had been depressed and anxious about losing my breasts & nipple sensation, but I have a horrible distraction. My wife is in the hospital with diverticulitis with an abscess and she’s the only thing on my mind. We spent NYE in the hospital so I hope that doesn’t set the tone for 2020.

• sugar77
    Options

KillerRack1978 - sorry to hear your wife is in the hospital. Sending healing vibes her way! Great screen name, by the way. Good luck with your surgery. I'll be here before you know it.

HangryMama - curious how it goes on Tamoxifen. I was triple negative before so no endocrine treatment but now, 10 years later, a new primary has developed, which is 92% estrogen positive. I bet my oncologist will be putting me on it before too long.

Everyone - hope you are all doing well preparing for January surgeries. I'm *still* waiting for my surgery date. The plastic surgeon's office called today to let me know whey put dates forward to my general surgeon but his office has been closed for the holidays. I suspect I'll know more on Monday. Here's hoping!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    Options

Welcome, KillerRack1978-

We're so sorry you find yourself here, but we hope you find this to be a supportive place as you prepare for your surgery and recovery. Wishing you the best on your procedure, and sending healing to you and your wife!

The Mods

• Badluckbdaygirl
    Badluckbdaygirl Member Posts: 55
    Options

Hi All,

I’m a December girl, but I looked at The November posts to get ideas. You know, hindsight is 20/20.

Dyson, I got a double mastectomy with tissue expanders which might have been considered radical, but I had extremely dense breasts and many call backs. I just turned 46 and was tired of all the biopsies, etc. I had an MRI, 4 mammos and ultrasounds to find suspicious spots this time with one being IDC. Low and behold, after surgery, they found DCIS and LCIS, both of which imaging missed and even my BS (whom is conservative) said I made the right decision. Just my two cents.

Sugar, see above😂. I hate you have to do this again. No guarantees I won’t, I just think I would have sooner without the double.

I am 3 1/2 weeks out and better. I agree to a wedge pillow at home. Also, if insurance allows, I’m glad I stayed two nights in the hospital. Missed my kiddos, but I was still in a lot of pain.

Getting better each day and so will all of you. I wish you luck and if you have any questions, I’m here

• striveforhealth
    striveforhealth Member Posts: 59
    Options

Hello All,

I was expecting that I would be a part of this January surgery group so I started reading your posts here, but it now looks like my surgery will be more like Feb. Due to multiple cancers in my family I just had blood drawn for the Cancer Next genetic testing through Ambry Genetics. I'm told it could take 3 weeks for results to find out if there are any gene mutations but they want me to meet with a plastic surgeon in the meantime in the event I need a mastectomy. So I have to meet with a medical and radiology oncologist and a plastic surgeon. That means a lot of appointments to accomplish and a lot of information to absorb. Yep...sounds like surgery in Feb.

I'm pretty certain if nothing comes of this genetics testing, I will choose to have a left breast lumpectomy for DCIS (focal comedonecrosis and associated microcalcifications, size is 1cm, grade is 2, ER+ in 90% of the cells). My surgeon would then recommend radiation and Tamoxifen. I am less scared about having the lumpectomy than I am of radiation near my heart and taking Tamoxifen for years. I'm nervous about how this will affect me. Should I be nervous? I'm sure these fears are common so hopefully someone here can enlighten me on what I need to know.

I understood that DCIS is slow growing, but now I'm reading notes and see that the surgeon may have told me that comedonecrosis meant that my cells were more aggressive. Why is that if DCIS is a slow growing CA? Have I misunderstood what she said? I'm getting a little confused ladies. Also many of you have mentioned HER status but there is nothing about HER on my report. Am I missing something important?

Thanks for this thread. It's comforting to know that I am not alone facing important decisions about my breast health.

Best wishes all.

• deanders
    deanders Member Posts: 61
    Options

Hello Ladies! I am scheduled for surgery on January 9th - just a few short days from now and I can't wait! I know it will hurt, I know I will probably cry, I scared of the dye stuff, but I want this tumor out of my body and the final pathology report in front of me. I feel like that is the pinnacle of the fear, you know? Everything after that report is healing, repair or perhaps more fear but at least you know EXACTLY what you are dealing with. I didn't realize how much I would struggle after finishing chemo and thinking that at least then I was doing something. This waiting for surgery is awful because you feel like it is going to come back with a vengeance.

Good luck to all of you - I will come back and let you all know how things went.

• JaynerK7
    JaynerK7 Member Posts: 34
    Options

Thank you Sugar77 for starting this group. I had right masectomy and sentinel node biopsyAugust 13 2019 for DCIS in right breast.

I will be having the expander exchanged for implant Jan 31. And mastoplexy on left side. That seems weird but I guess it’s important to be aligned.

Good luck to everyone. Happy to answer any questions about mastectomy. Overall healing went very well for me and much better than expected. You really don’t know what to expect going in but it is much better to be out on the other side feeling strong and confident

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    Options

Dear JaynerK7,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are so glad that you reached out and introduced yourself to our members. Good luck with your surgery. We hope that you will stay active here and join in the support and information exchange that is readily shared on these discussion boards. Let us know if there is any help we can provide as your navigate your way around.

The Mods

• JaynerK7
    Options

Good luck deanders, Soon you will be one step closer to putting this in the rear view mirror. It is one of the greatest feelings after the surgery is done, that moment when you realize just hours after surgery, “ I did it. It’s done.” In my on experience having a strong, positive mantra to keep saying to yourself the night before, during the drive to surgery and right up until they wheel you in to the operating room on that gurney is such a comfort and super power.

• sugar77
    Options

Janek7 - welcome to our surgery group. I really like the idea of a strong mantra. I'll will do the same once I get a date. Maybe tomorrow (fingers crossed!). Regarding mastoplexy, that's what the general surgeon initially recommended for my left breast. However, since this is the second time getting it in my right breast, I was able the persuade them to take off my left healthy breast.

Everyone - I'm trying to go back through the list to figure out who's up this week for surgery. From what I can see at a glance, KillerRack1978 and Rose14 are having their surgeries on the 8th and Deanders is on the 9th. I wonder if it would be helpful for me to go through the list and do a post with our screen names and surgery dates so we can keep track and send our good vibes?!

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134
    Options

Striveforhealth ---- I had my lumpectomy last February -- Was at the hospital at 6:00 a.m. and home talking to friends on the phone at 3:00 P.M. No pain at all -- never had to take a pain pill. My incision was large. They also removed two sentinel nodes which they may not do to you since your cancer is not invasive. I was terrified before the surgery. Don't worry one little bit about a lumpectomy (-:

• Momofboys3
    Momofboys3 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hello all. I have a sentinel node biopsy scheduled Jan 13th then a bilateral mastectomy with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction Jan 24th. I’m equal parts ready to get it done & wishing I could run away & avoid it all

• JaynerK7
    Options

Wishing you all the best, momofboys3. I understand the mixture of feelings. I had sentinel node biopsy and right masectomy in August with tissue expander put in. (Being removed in a few weeks on Jan 31.) I found meditating two nights ahead of surgery in a nice bubble bath with a candle and calm music and repeating an affirmation about being strong and healthy really helped me get to the operating room in a good level-headed and positive state. Also happy to tell you recovery from both went really well. Was not immobilized at all and only needed to take the anti inflammatory pills and Tylenol for the first few days. I can’t comment on the flap experience since I had tissue expander. You'll be happy to have it behind you and amazed by your strength and resilience. Good luck from a mom of 2 boys

• squatchmama
    Options

Hi all from the node mapping floor prior to UMX. The dye injection I felt nothing. Put Lidocaine creme covered in saran wrap this morning as surgeon indicated. Felt nothing of the 4 injections. 1 1/2 hours until surgery. Thank God for xanax because I feel great! I think I got this! (Ask me tomorrow). All kidding aside....thinking of you all and sending prayers daily for your strength and comfort.

💖

• sugar77
    Options

Squatchmama - sending you tons of healing vibes! I’ll be thinking of youthis afternoon.

• sugar77
    Options

I got my date! Three weeks from today on Jan. 27th I’ll have my sentinel node biopsy in the morning and DMX with tissue expanders in the afternoon. I had a sentinel node biopsy 10 years ago so am not sure how many sentinel nodes are left

• JaynerK7
    Options

So great to have a date, Sugar77. I will send good vibes that day,

• HangryMama
    HangryMama Member Posts: 7
    Options

Sending good vibes to KillerRack1978, Rose14, squatchmama, and Deanders as you have your surgeries this week. You will all definitely be in my thoughts and praying for you, your surgical teams and for healing!

Sugar1977 the first week of Tamoxifen has brought on hot flashes already, and I am having a lot of muscle aches especially in my legs not sure if that's from the chemo or the Tamoxifen. I have neuropathy in my fingers and my feet, so gonna watch it closely. It's been two weeks since I rang the bell finishing chemo no huge improvements in SE yet, but it did it's job. It shrank my tumor tons it was almost 6cm. I am sooooo excited my taste buds are starting to coming back too they don't call me HangryMama for nothing lol.

Received confirmation today for my surgery. It will be January 24th Having nuclear mapping for Sentinel node biopsy, followed by Double Mastectomy and going flat for the time being. Ready to get another round of this fight done.

• sugar77
    Options

HangryMama - glad you got your surgery date! Regarding tastebuds, I found lemon helped with the metallic taste after chemo. Discovered this quite by accident when I had a bunch of lemons in my fruit bowl that needed to be used. Once I put in a glass of water, the metallic taste went away and I could taste better.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the ladies having surgery this week. You've got this!

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69
    Options

Looks like I will be joining you fine ladies. I just finished chemo on January 2 and got my surgery date today. January 30, left side masectomy. I've chosen no reconstruction at this point, can always do it later if I decide to. On one hand, scared like crazy, as I've never had any surgery. On the other hand, will be relieved to have the cancer removed and completing another step to hopefully good health. 😊

• godisone
    godisone Member Posts: 30
    Options

Gone through this stage but just wanted to wish others good luck for the impending surgery. I wish the surgery treats you well you heal fast and have a good time with family and friends. Love you guys.